Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Gaius Marius posted:

The ghost guy on the way out of Zozo tells you

I was 8 years old, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

This is horribly disappointing, I was hoping this game was gonna turn around when I could start junctioning

It's also not quite true. Magic is incredibly strong in FFVI, to the point that if you don't intentionally limit yourself in teaching it to your characters, it's going to be most characters' best solution to every problem. Sabin's kind of an exception because his endgame Blitz is so strong (and also scales with his Magic stat!), and you can put together some good Attack-command builds with some characters (Setzer works weirdly well with this with an endgame weapon and some specific Relics, anyone who can use a spear can become a really strong Dragoon-esque character, Locke can do some HP-scaling weapon shenanigans), but you can also just have your whole team spamming Ultima and just vaporize everything in your path.

The "fake" part of the Esper system is the stat bonuses. Espers have stat bonuses on level up, but for most of the game they're really small. By the time you get to the ones that are big and impactful, you're probably not going to gain that many more levels in the first place (unless you intentionally stop and level up higher than you actually need to). I'd compare it to FFIX's "equipment boosts your stats on level up" system in how it's technically a way to min-max but won't really impact your play at all if you completely ignore it, either.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 4, 2022

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Gaius Marius posted:

The ghost guy on the way out of Zozo tells you

But everyone in Zozo lies, so if he tells you that you can, then you can't.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Shadow's basic stars are pretty cheap. I was always stocked with enough to replace fight when I wanted. He's a good Genji Glove choice though, if you get a pair of stunners or have death-vulnerable enemies.

It’s pretty cool that FFVI gives you a ninja and then a vendor that lets you buy 99 shuriken for basically pocket change so you can experience the catharsis of killing everything with sick ninja stars sticking out of them, if nothing else.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Cleretic posted:

But everyone in Zozo lies, so if he tells you that you can, then you can't.

Nobody tells the truth (except that one guy) but that ghost has no body.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The fact that the World of Ruin was added to VI as an afterthought because they were ahead of schedule blows my mind. If it had just ended at the Floating Continent as intended, that’d be…one of the shortest games in the series, right?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Apparently the FFIV that was made for the famicom was 80% done as opposed to just being a mock-up screenshot.

I am very curious as to if it ever leaks out.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

HD DAD posted:

The fact that the World of Ruin was added to VI as an afterthought because they were ahead of schedule blows my mind. If it had just ended at the Floating Continent as intended, that’d be…one of the shortest games in the series, right?

it'd feel weird as hell after FF5, that's for sure

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

HD DAD posted:

I mean, game development doesn't happen in a straight line from beginning to end. Presumably at least some of the WoR content already existed and would have just been placed in the WoB somewhere before they realized they had time to do more.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

VI chat reminded me that it's February and VIPR isn't out yet. Now I'm sad.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Mustached Demon posted:

VI chat reminded me that it's February and VIPR isn't out yet. Now I'm sad.

Same, still waiting...

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

are there any square events coming up or are they just gonna do a tweet out of the blue on it

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'm assuming the buy/install buttons just gonna show up one day and no one will know for a while.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Gaius Marius posted:

The coin toss scene was well done.

This game does not feel like the sixth mainline of a series. The way there's so many systems and minigame type things, and how completely unfocused the game feels, the game feels like something an overly ambitious new team would make. More like a Shadow Hearts than a Dragon Quest.

I'm baffled at them not letting me at the whole Esper mechanic yet, Why would you keep the main mechanic of your game be inaccessible for so long?
So far the Battle system has been beyond tedious. Bosses have two types of attacks one that does nothing, and one that will almost kill you. And the general encounters are pure busy work. You basically never want to be using the basic fight attack. But that means you have to engage with the incredibly tedious mechanics for people like Cyan and Sabine given even the most basic versions of their skills are a flat increase in damage over fight. And Gau's ability is very poorly implemented. Randomly using moves that don't get described at all is a huge liability, or it would be if anything was at all difficult.

FF6 is actually really awesome and you seem to hate fun and adventure but it's interesting to read your posts about a game you're not enjoying at all.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Apparently the FFIV that was made for the famicom was 80% done as opposed to just being a mock-up screenshot.

I am very curious as to if it ever leaks out.

This would be a holy grail find to me, just after the (almost assuredly trashfire) ffxi mobile game

Is there a source for that news?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Frionnel posted:

I love how FF4 would use it's combat mechanics to help tell the story. Rydia doesn't learn fire for a while because she has trauma, Tellah only has 99 MP because he's old and tired, etc. Pretty cool for 1990.

tellahs stats go down instead of up when he levels up because he's old and that owns too

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah. Him have 90 MP, and meteor costing 99, was such an great story through gameplay moment too, for 11 year old me.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
I came across a Chinese bootleg of FF4 for the nes while looking for information about the original cancelled FF4 and while it's surprisingly competent for a Chinese bootleg, I gotta say tellah seems like he's seen some poo poo

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

tellahs stats go down instead of up when he levels up because he's old and that owns too

gently caress i never noticed this. FF4 is good.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Frionnel posted:

Rage is a bloated mechanic and if you don't use a guide or have the patience to test rages then Gau is way more trouble than he's worth.

This is one of the nicest QoL changes with the T-Edition hack. They tell you the most notable skill for each rage in the rage menu. Also you don't have to leap, just fighting a monster is enough to learn it's rage. Those changes took me from never using Gau in the main game to never leaving my party

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Blitz and Rage are probably the only two abilities that could feasibly hit the damage cap without a ton of work, so everyone else has to heavily lean on magic to keep up.

Yeah I'm trying to think of any character that would rather use their unique skill late game instead of magic, and it's pretty much just Sabin and uh...Strago? Cyan too I guess if you're playing the mobile version of VI where you can just set him to charge and still control the other party members (which PR will hopefully keep). Well also Locke, but his doesn't really deal damage unless you turn it into Capture/Mug which would still deal poo poo damage and be a waste of a relic slot.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I never used Gau because I didn't like his feral caveman dialogue, even if he is ludicrously overpowered

For Cyan I liked his character but he's so terrible mechanically that I renamed him Kappa and made him a gimmick character with all the imp gear and dragoon boots for yuks

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

stray ftw

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

theres also a final fantasy 6 randomizer that kind of owns https://www.ff6wc.com/

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah I'm trying to think of any character that would rather use their unique skill late game instead of magic, and it's pretty much just Sabin and uh...Strago? Cyan too I guess if you're playing the mobile version of VI where you can just set him to charge and still control the other party members (which PR will hopefully keep). Well also Locke, but his doesn't really deal damage unless you turn it into Capture/Mug which would still deal poo poo damage and be a waste of a relic slot.

I specifically mentioned Tools because, even if it doesn't hit the damage cap, Chainsaw is free both to get and use and never really falls off.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I get Tellah only having 90 MP but come the gently caress on with FuSoYa having every spell but only 199 MP. Goddamn ether hogging Lunarian.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Chainsaw effectively having 75% accuracy kinda blows though, it would be so much better if the fatality only procced on enemies that could be hit with it.

Tools in general is kinda jank though, you get new options to buy/find until like Zozo…and then I think two more later? And those are the utility ones, one iirc takes away enemy elemental resists and the other is a Fist of the North Star style kill which is kinda neat?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
A lot of the abilities in 6 are half baked. Tools could have been a legit cool set of abilities if they were more spread out, or weren't just do single target damage or aoe damage. More stuff like air anchor and debilitator would be cool. Sword tech is awful because you have to sit and wait, you should just select the tech and then the charge time would be in the background. You could even give him a relic that speeds it up or something! Slots is whatever but you get gp rain pretty quick so just huck dimes at people or i suppose abuse rng and hit all 7's. Runic isn't used past one fight. Dance isn't used after the world of balance. Sketch is useless because of enemy stats, control is only useful for lore, etc etc.

From a story perspective its neat that magic ows everything and fits into the world but the actual job part of 6 is just a big oof, but to be fair I remember magazines hyping up the relics as the actual new FF system for 6 and relics are pretty cool.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

fusoya should be killed

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

fusoya should be killed

seems a bit excessive

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I mean he's got the best "I'm dead" sprite

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

PneumonicBook posted:

A lot of the abilities in 6 are half baked. Tools could have been a legit cool set of abilities if they were more spread out, or weren't just do single target damage or aoe damage.

I mean, Bio Blaster causes poison, Air Horn causes confuse, Flash causes Blind (but lol blind doesn't do anything because everything uses m.evade instead of p.evade).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Cleretic posted:

I specifically mentioned Tools because, even if it doesn't hit the damage cap, Chainsaw is free both to get and use and never really falls off.

The fact that 25% of the time Edgar will do nothing makes Chainsaw suck in comparison to magic, where you will do nothing 0% of the time. Drill is better than Chainsaw even if it does less damage. But why would you use that when you can just use magic? I guess Drill doesn't cost MP, but...so? There's tons of MP restoration items.

PneumonicBook posted:

More stuff like air anchor and debilitator would be cool.

Eh, Air Anchor blows because it's just an instant death attack, and thus doesn't work on anything you might want to use it on. Debilitator is okay, but most enemies already have a weakness, plus you can waste turns making an enemy weak to earth three times in a row (that's happened to me!) so I'm pretty down on it. I guess if you get lucky rolls you might have a better opinion.

PneumonicBook posted:

Runic isn't used past one fight.

Two fights! It's genuinely useful in the Kefka battle in Narshe, too. But after that yeah it's useless.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Twelve by Pies posted:

The fact that 25% of the time Edgar will do nothing makes Chainsaw suck in comparison to magic, where you will do nothing 0% of the time. Drill is better than Chainsaw even if it does less damage. But why would you use that when you can just use magic? I guess Drill doesn't cost MP, but...so? There's tons of MP restoration items.

If you're someone like I was as a kid, who refuses to use any consumables because you might need them someday, then free damage is a huge get.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

fusoya should be killed

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Super No Vacancy posted:

are there any square events coming up or are they just gonna do a tweet out of the blue on it

we're gonna wake up one morning and they start tweet bombing the new ost out and thats how we'll know its about to release.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Yea I guess I meant tools should have more weird stuff like air anchor and debilitator, not that they were useful. Like the status effects are whatever given that it's an snes ff game.

Maybe I should be happy that tools is a usable ability set all the way through the game haha.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Flash is a straight upgrade to Autocrossbow. Acts like a magic attack as well since it will hit invisible enemies.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I liked Spirits Within :colbert:
I feel like I liked it way back in 2001 in the theater but I just rewatched it and it was aggressively boring, and so drab looking for a supposed Final Fantasy. Mediocre films are just the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

Flash is a straight upgrade to Autocrossbow. Acts like a magic attack as well since it will hit invisible enemies.

Well :actually: Auto Crossbow out damages it at high levels because physical attacks scale better with levels than magic ones. I think. :v: