Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I’m on Shivam’s podcast this week y’all should check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Be careful! He might pick a fight for no reason! He's prone to arguing when he's bored, lol

I can't believe they fired Gerry Thomson and Bryan Gottleib and kept Sheldon on. I play Commander all the time and that's still just a crying shame... They are literally my favorite mtg writers

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Gynovore posted:

Motherdouchebag, Gate to Phyrexia was a trash card back in the day, I had piles of them.

There were a few attempts at an Antiquities buyout about 18 months ago. Everything jumped, even Urza's Miter is up to about $70-80. Feels good considering I dropped $50 on an ebay auction for archeologist and coffin a few years ago.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Is there a place that is worth writing for these days about magic? I figure with the end of officially sanctioned tournaments and everybody and their brother making YouTube videos, getting paid to write magic articles wasn't really a thing anymore.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

I brought my Drake posted:

Is there a place that is worth writing for these days about magic? I figure with the end of officially sanctioned tournaments and everybody and their brother making YouTube videos, getting paid to write magic articles wasn't really a thing anymore.

Writing pays consistently and is better than even moderate sized YouTube channel ad revenue.

I say this knowing first hand both running a moderately sized Magic YouTube channel and being paid to write about Magic.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Star City Games: just cut all of their non-commander writing staff

Channel Fireball: Scooping up as much talent as possible and trying really hard to future proof their terrible and clunky client

Hipsters of the Coast: Had a really big couple years between WotC sucking for the last few years and Emma Emeria getting picked up for the RC, but their content is totally boring and too short. It’s barely worth clicking a link to a 500 word “3 minute read”

after that I can’t even think of other websites that might pay you to write about magic

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Bust Rodd posted:

Star City Games: just cut all of their non-commander writing staff

Channel Fireball: Scooping up as much talent as possible and trying really hard to future proof their terrible and clunky client

Hipsters of the Coast: Had a really big couple years between WotC sucking for the last few years and Emma Emeria getting picked up for the RC, but their content is totally boring and too short. It’s barely worth clicking a link to a 500 word “3 minute read”

after that I can’t even think of other websites that might pay you to write about magic

Wow, how could you forget about MtG Goldfish?!

Lmao, do they even have writers?

E: They got like two or three people, I think?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

Wow, how could you forget about MtG Goldfish?!

Lmao, do they even have writers?

E: They got like two or three people, I think?

Hey, it's Annoying Voice... also known as Hype Factory. I've got an unbeatable combo deck today that I will curate to just the games I managed to draw perfect on so we can move some of these lower tier singles.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Hey, it's Annoying Voice... also known as Hype Factory. I've got an unbeatable combo deck today that I will curate to just the games I managed to draw perfect on so we can move some of these lower tier singles.

"Here's a combo deck."

*5/6 of the matches are won through means completely independent of the combo*

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Batterypowered7 posted:

"Here's a combo deck."

*5/6 of the matches are won through means completely independent of the combo*
Um that just proves his skill as a deckbuilder*

*Every deck has like 15 fetches and 6 playsets of mythics.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Balon posted:

Writing pays consistently and is better than even moderate sized YouTube channel ad revenue.

I say this knowing first hand both running a moderately sized Magic YouTube channel and being paid to write about Magic.

I feel like they're just aren't any community pillars left. When I stopped following all the stuff back in 2012 or so, there were plenty of people blogging about the game and several big places to write for, but now it feels like content generation is based around the person (or the Timmy/Johnny/Spike stereotype) rather than the community.

There's also stuff like Scryfall and EDHrec that make deckbuilding and strategy articles about the game kind of moot. So I guess gimmick-based content filled the gap.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I brought my Drake posted:

There's also stuff like Scryfall and EDHrec that make deckbuilding and strategy articles about the game kind of moot. So I guess gimmick-based content filled the gap.
I don't even think it's moot - EDHrec is good for casting a wide net, but not for actually improving your game in any way. And to criticize the establishment by publishing articles saying "Temple of the False God is bad and you're bad for playing it, stop listening to EDHrec, most players and decks are garbage" is biting the hand that feeds you.

There are no community pillars because content creators (no offense intended to the content creators here) create content to generate engagement, not to generate expertise. Actually being right in their analysis doesn't matter anywhere near as much as production value and entertainment.

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

Maybe a weird question:
One of the people in my usual commander group is moving for school, so we're looking at playing in mtgo. It's not infrequent one of us can't show up, so we often do 3 player games. Does mtgo support private 3 player commander games? I haven't been able to find any answers via google.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, you can do friends only games on mtgo, and it lets you do 2, 3, or 4 players in commander.

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

Sweet thanks

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdnjW-Cpak

The best piece of content ive seen in the MtG sphere in a really, really long time. Really just cements for me that Josh is the coolest guy and that Prof is the undisputed Archmage of the game. Really just fantastic and interesting insights.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Ironic that WOTC doesn't like the Prof much because he's honestly critical of all the bullshit they keep trying to pull.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dizz posted:

Ironic that WOTC doesn't like the Prof much because he's honestly critical of all the bullshit they keep trying to pull.

Is that even true though? I’ve never seen anything to show that WOTC is stiff arming him because of his critiques.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Is that even true though? I’ve never seen anything to show that WOTC is stiff arming him because of his critiques.

To be fair all the claims come from the Professor's mouth himself. He claims that WOTC won't send him any more promotional things due to past criticisms of their products, including some employees complaining to him about things he's said about things, which i think was about how poor their card production used to be and how cards either used to be printed really dark and ugly, or foils being severely curled.

Honestly though I doubt he's bullshitting.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Dizz posted:

To be fair all the claims come from the Professor's mouth himself. He claims that WOTC won't send him any more promotional things due to past criticisms of their products, including some employees complaining to him about things he's said about things, which i think was about how poor their card production used to be and how cards either used to be printed really dark and ugly, or foils being severely curled.

Honestly though I doubt he's bullshitting.

WotC has a history of punishing any one who isn’t a wholehearted cheerleader.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

WotC has a history of punishing any one who isn’t a wholehearted cheerleader.

That's hosed up. I bet no other company does this sort of thing. How shameful.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Companies not giving promotional materials to people who give negative reviews of their products is a very normal thing, no matter how justified those negative reviews are.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
The Professor is a treasure and I'm not surprised that WotC doesn't send him merch despite being the largest (is he?) MTG youtube personality. I do very much appreciate his contribution to MTG as a whole. I will have to check out that Command Zone episode.

edit: Youtube popularity is the first thing they discuss.

imagine dungeons fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 4, 2022

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Hell, he's been branching out and doing videos on other card games as well, and even those are pretty good. I watched the one on the new Digimon game, and felt I had enough of an understanding to head to my flgs for a local night from watching it. Besides, being as big as he is with magic brings more eyes on the other games he does as well, which is almost always a good thing (except for Flesh and Blood).

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I picked up one of the Monarch Blitz decks for FaB, maybe one of these days I'll figure out how the hell to build a deck for it

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
It is pretty disappointing that Prof isn't really given much credit from WotC considering that he's been a mouthpiece for the game for so long (specifically for Magic as a game and not WotC) and has probably brought thousands of people into the hobby and spending money on cards and basically being free advertising for WotC.

That he is just very brutally honest about his reviews is a point for integrity and should be praised and taken to heart by WotC, honestly. And yet, the cards curl ever more. He'd probably run out of negative things to say if they'd just stop doing the things that suck.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

You would think that rewarding a well loved member of the community would be a good thing, and that taking the criticisms to heart and trying to fix it would be your number one concern, but megacorporations never give a poo poo.

Aniodia posted:

Hell, he's been branching out and doing videos on other card games as well, and even those are pretty good. I watched the one on the new Digimon game, and felt I had enough of an understanding to head to my flgs for a local night from watching it. Besides, being as big as he is with magic brings more eyes on the other games he does as well, which is almost always a good thing (except for Flesh and Blood).

im loving pissed because I got into Digimon early but it's so expensive to make decks for a niche game. my only LGS here doesn't have any product of it and if i wanted to actually get to an LGS that does, i'd probably be spending $20 uber rides.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Digimon looks fun but I'm hesitant to buy into a game that might not have staying power (or anyone to play with). When I wanted to get into a card game back in late 2015/early 2016 I went to an LGS and played a game of Magic with 2 of those free 30-card starter decks and I played a game of Force of Will with someone who had an extra deck. FoW was confusing and the cards had microscopic text with way too much going on, it was like an information overload.

I feel like I definitely made the better choice, because who even plays FoW anymore? Is the game even alive anymore?

If I were to get into another TCG it'd probably be Pokemon since I already know how to play, it's fairly popular here, and seems pretty affordable if you're not buying all the blinged out versions of cards. I can't wrap my brain around modern Yu-Gi-Oh though; the text is microscopic on those too and I've seen videos of online play and some turns just go on and on and on and on and makes no sense to me and I just... nah.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 4, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Prof also very recently had a video where he unboxes a huge gift bag of rare old booster packs and a letter about awesome he is from his Patreon subscribers and he was like “who the gently caress needs a preview cards these are my fans and they let me do what I love for a living” and cried on camera a little. He’s doing good!

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Framboise posted:

Digimon looks fun but I'm hesitant to buy into a game that might not have staying power (or anyone to play with). When I wanted to get into a card game back in late 2015/early 2016 I went to an LGS and played a game of Magic with 2 of those free 30-card starter decks and I played a game of Force of Will with someone who had an extra deck. FoW was confusing and the cards had microscopic text with way too much going on, it was like an information overload.

I feel like I definitely made the better choice, because who even plays FoW anymore? Is the game even alive anymore?

If I were to get into another TCG it'd probably be Pokemon since I already know how to play, it's fairly popular here, and seems pretty affordable if you're not buying all the blinged out versions of cards. I can't wrap my brain around modern Yu-Gi-Oh though; the text is microscopic on those too and I've seen videos of online play and some turns just go on and on and on and on and makes no sense to me and I just... nah.

It's hard to really suggest Digimon since Bandai has had what, 3-4 iterations of the Digimon TCG? but the current one's been going since 2020 and they're still releasing sets.

It is also hard to get into because starter decks are impossible to find [each one generally has a really good card set or two, so people buy them out to resell for more.] [Old starter decks also had a free booster in them and were generally the only way to get boosters due to limited printings.]

I stopped playing it around july/august last year but i really want to go back eventually. im just too broke to afford standard decks.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Bust Rodd posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdnjW-Cpak

The best piece of content ive seen in the MtG sphere in a really, really long time. Really just cements for me that Josh is the coolest guy and that Prof is the undisputed Archmage of the game. Really just fantastic and interesting insights.
Haven't watched Command Zone / Game Knights in about a year (since committing to selling out of the game) but this was a pro click.

Heath posted:

I picked up one of the Monarch Blitz decks for FaB, maybe one of these days I'll figure out how the hell to build a deck for it
I keep thinking about getting just the FaB Blitz precons, since the game itself seems dece for people who loved dumb The Stack mtg bullshit, but I'm already busy trying to convert my ex-MTG folk to NISEI the Netrunner compatible fan-made non-profit continuation, which has none of the associated baloney.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Looks like we have a actual shrine commander coming in the new set, the deck will always be casual fun but what kind of win con would the deck look for with 5 colors?

Obviously using all the shrines and every copy enchantment effect would be just silly fun too.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Are shrines a creature type or not? I'm still kind of confused on that matter. Especially when it creates Shrine enchantment creatures...

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Framboise posted:

Are shrines a creature type or not? I'm still kind of confused on that matter. Especially when it creates Shrine enchantment creatures...

Shrines are not a creature type.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Rythe posted:

Looks like we have a actual shrine commander coming in the new set, the deck will always be casual fun but what kind of win con would the deck look for with 5 colors?

Obviously using all the shrines and every copy enchantment effect would be just silly fun too.

Copying legendaries is not impossible but will make the deck quite clunky, and vulnerable.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

According to Mark Rosewater's recent tweet it is a enchantment subtype and not a creature type.

Still looks like you can still use a creature tutor for some of the new ones?

Edit: drat I forgot all the shrines are typically legendary.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Rythe posted:

According to Mark Rosewater's recent tweet it is a enchantment subtype and not a creature type.

Still looks like you can still use a creature tutor for some of the new ones?

Yes and since the go-Shintai of life’s origin can reanimate you can use gamble and entomb and buried alive as well as mill effects.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I just thought it'd be interesting to use Conspiracy or Arcane Adaptation or Maskwood Nexus to make everything shrines. :shrug:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

Copying legendaries is not impossible but will make the deck quite clunky, and vulnerable.

Just play Mirror Gallery and the newer Mirror Box. Nobody plays artifact removal in EDH, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Besides trying to abuse stuff like Paradox Haze what's the win cons on something like shrines? A variation on enchantment matters decks I would assume.