Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What's the trick to gliding in Zenith? When I try it, it's more likely falling slowly than the cool zooming movement I can see other people do. If I put my hands out in front of me in like a V shape I get some forward momentum, but not much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Chin Strap posted:

So the Les Mills Bodycombat app is out. I bought it but can't try until the morning. EbolaIvory you said you got a preview. Tell us your thoughts.

I'm subscribed to the Les Mills streaming stuff and they make slickly produced content so I'm excited to try.

Really misread that name and thought they made a VR design of Arm Joe

Condimentalist
Jun 13, 2007

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Just as all my friends are getting into VR my old WMR headset (Lenovo Explorer) seems to be giving out. I suspect it's the cable because it will just suddenly turn off after I turn my head. Apparently replacement cables for other WMR headsets exist but I can't find a way to get any here in europe and it would require opening the headset and all that poo poo...

It looks like the only upgrade in WMR would be the Odyssey+ which I can only get used. Quest is evil. Should I just nuke my bank account for an Index?

For what it’s worth I have an odyssey plus and my friend has an odyssey… they work pretty well, but I have to say wires are so annoying. I’m at the point of making a Facebook account just to get a quest 2 for the wireless PCVR. Then again, if you can get an odyssey or odyssey plus for like 200$, go for it.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Condimentalist posted:

For what it’s worth I have an odyssey plus and my friend has an odyssey… they work pretty well, but I have to say wires are so annoying. I’m at the point of making a Facebook account just to get a quest 2 for the wireless PCVR. Then again, if you can get an odyssey or odyssey plus for like 200$, go for it.

I'm in Germany and the prices I'm seeing here are more like twice as high as that. Also I never looked before but it turns out the Quest 2 is way more expensive here too ($500+).

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Last night I was super tired and just kinda zoned out staring at the trees swaying in the wind in my Steam VR room and it was cool. Besides Tetris Effect what are some cool games with amazingly trippy or serene visuals taht would be fun to get high and put on that require somewhat limited interaction from me besides just turning my head and looking at cool poo poo. This sounds hyper specirfic but I hope this come across well..I don't have a Quest 2 so no oculus specific stuff

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I finally figured out how to run Minecraft PCVR and it is very very fun. Also it has a feature I've never seen anywhere else - while you are playing you can switch on the fly between playing regular VR style and "living room mode", in which you are playing the traditional way on a virtual tv in a Minecraft living room area.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

beep by grandpa posted:

Last night I was super tired and just kinda zoned out staring at the trees swaying in the wind in my Steam VR room and it was cool. Besides Tetris Effect what are some cool games with amazingly trippy or serene visuals taht would be fun to get high and put on that require somewhat limited interaction from me besides just turning my head and looking at cool poo poo. This sounds hyper specirfic but I hope this come across well..I don't have a Quest 2 so no oculus specific stuff

If you haven't gotten high as balls and played Rez yet then what are you even doing

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Chin Strap posted:

So the Les Mills Bodycombat app is out. I bought it but can't try until the morning. EbolaIvory you said you got a preview. Tell us your thoughts.

I'm subscribed to the Les Mills streaming stuff and they make slickly produced content so I'm excited to try.

Its good.

Its boxvr/fitxr (sorta) with a probably model for subscription eventually.

My complaints are that the knee stuff isn't tracked. Its not like the upcoming supernatural stuff is teasing. In fact, you can cheese the knees just swinging the thing down. Not a big deal, I actually kinda like being able to cheese it, But its not really a forced knee mechanic thats being tracked. And the workouts are very sameish. Like the short ones, are bundled together to make longer ones. So if you do the short ones, then a long one, you might do the same 2 workouts twice.

If they keep up with content regularly itll be cool. If it stays as it is for months on end before new content? Naw.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 4, 2022

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

LLSix posted:

What's the trick to gliding in Zenith? When I try it, it's more likely falling slowly than the cool zooming movement I can see other people do. If I put my hands out in front of me in like a V shape I get some forward momentum, but not much.
In the comfort settings, in the gliding down the bottom left change from Basic to Sensitive

Metos fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 4, 2022

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

I'm in Germany and the prices I'm seeing here are more like twice as high as that. Also I never looked before but it turns out the Quest 2 is way more expensive here too ($500+).
Last I was in Germany the Quest 2 wasn't officially sold because of some Facebook beef with German regulators.

Glancing at amazon.de it looks like it's unofficial resellers offering it, that's probably why

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

EbolaIvory posted:

Its good.

My complaints are that the knee stuff isn't tracked. Its not like the upcoming supernatural stuff is teasing. In fact, you can cheese the knees just swinging the thing down. Not a big deal, I actually kinda like being able to cheese it, But its not really a forced knee mechanic thats being tracked. And the workouts are very sameish. Like the short ones, are bundled together to make longer ones. So if you do the short ones, then a long one, you might do the same 2 workouts twice.

If they keep up with content regularly itll be cool. If it stays as it is for months on end before new content? Naw.

What is this upcoming supernatural stuff?

I'm subbed to it (the coaching parts actually help me keep up intensity) and it is great how regularly they are putting our new content. Not all of it is stuff I'll play (too easy, not dance/pop/edm stuff) but there is always more coming. I just want to see their boxing library catch up to their flow library

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Chin Strap posted:

What is this upcoming supernatural stuff?

I'm subbed to it (the coaching parts actually help me keep up intensity) and it is great how regularly they are putting our new content. Not all of it is stuff I'll play (too easy, not dance/pop/edm stuff) but there is always more coming. I just want to see their boxing library catch up to their flow library

Someone from the team was showing off some new knee mechanic. No trackers, no controllers, just dude using knees.

Thats basically all I know but somethings coming.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

LLSix posted:

If you haven’t, change the gliding mode to sensitive. Then when you put your arms out turn your hands so your palms face down to glide straight forward, and twist your wrists up and down to glide up and down respectively. You maintain your speed going straight so you can dive from high places to pick up speed and then glide along the land. Also for finer control I will keep one hand positioned to fly straight and use the other for up and down control.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I bought Zenith and ran down an entire Quest battery charge playing it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just played the first chapter of Half Life Alyx. It is as impressive as it is obvious that it was made with the index controllers in mind. My horrible twitchy hands...though playing fetch with the gravity gloves is fun.

Also, I thought I was set with my VR sea legs when I was able to do smooth locomotion. And then I tried smooth turning. Never again.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Unlucky7 posted:

Also, I thought I was set with my VR sea legs when I was able to do smooth locomotion. And then I tried smooth turning. Never again.

30 deg steps 4 lyfe.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Tried playing megaton rainfall and so far I've learned I have no loving idea how the controls work, and if I was Superman I'd have killed like 500 people the first time I flew literally through town. Jesus.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anyone having crashing issues with Hitman VR? I've had a few consistent ones with the Isle of Sgail, and surprisingly anything to do with Florida Man in the Miami level.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

njsykora posted:

Like an hour and 45 minutes?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

EbolaIvory posted:

Someone from the team was showing off some new knee mechanic. No trackers, no controllers, just dude using knees.

Thats basically all I know but somethings coming.

That's cool. I don't mind that they have leg stuff that they don't track currently. It is for working out not leaderboard showing off. I'm just glad that by the time I'm done I feel like I get a reasonable lower body workout too witf side squats and leg lifts and the like.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Enderzero posted:

If you haven’t, change the gliding mode to sensitive. Then when you put your arms out turn your hands so your palms face down to glide straight forward, and twist your wrists up and down to glide up and down respectively. You maintain your speed going straight so you can dive from high places to pick up speed and then glide along the land. Also for finer control I will keep one hand positioned to fly straight and use the other for up and down control.

Thank you.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

beep by grandpa posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/559010/Cosmic_Sugar_VR/

I don't know if I've seen a VR particle sandbox as cool as cosmic sugar. Then again I don't know of any. Pay for the extra doodads if you want but I did pretty quickly

e - if you use virtual desktop, set your gfx preset in the virtual desktop streaming settings to ultra or overkill for cosmic sugar. I'm sure everyone could feed it and the q2 has enough res to appreciate a school of technicolor pixels shimmering within arms reach

I haven't tried Ayahuasca but I have been meaning to

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 4, 2022

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
honestly the quest native youtube app is great for just zoning out in foreign places

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

njsykora posted:

I run my quest with kiwi accessories that enables me to strap a 15k mAh battery pack and i end up being tired of VR faster than the charge on both run out

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

LLSix posted:

set it to sensitive or strafe, use the angle of ur hands to control gliding down fast or slow. use the speed momentum from going down to go up, like you are making a sine wave with your hands. bring your arms close to or in front of your body to stop gliding to save stamina if needed.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Has anyone made a list of (good) non-VR native games that have VR mods? I know Risk of Rain 2, Minecraft and Outer Wilds have been mentioned before, are there more?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There's a VR mod for the Resident Evil Engine games, so Resi 2, 3, 7 and 8. It's only just been released so there's some jank (menus always appear facing the front of your VR playspace rather than your current direction, the cutscene camera is mapped to your headset so you get a lot of weird angles, scenery clipping and seeing things you aren't meant to, which is honestly pretty funny) but I beat all of Resi 2 very comfortably. Resi 3 has much more dynamic cutscenes that will test your sea legs, but otherwise is also good and playable.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

Has anyone made a list of (good) non-VR native games that have VR mods? I know Risk of Rain 2, Minecraft and Outer Wilds have been mentioned before, are there more?

Subnautica, Alien Isolation, Doom 3.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Half-Life 1, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Quake, Quake2, Doom 1 (and 2, and Wolfenstein, and Hexen and all those FPSs), Morrowind, and apparently sort of HL2 but it sounds jank as hell playing it through Garry's Mod or something.

edit: And apparently Quake 3 now but its work in progress.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 4, 2022

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Also perhaps of note is that there's apparently a virtual cockpit mod for Elite: Dangerous VR. The game itself is natively VR-compatible but intended to be played with a HOTAS or controller, but that mod supposedly lets you play it like VTOL VR, where you can use your VR controllers to reach out and flip switches or grab the stick within your cockpit.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Also perhaps of note is that there's apparently a virtual cockpit mod for Elite: Dangerous VR. The game itself is natively VR-compatible but intended to be played with a HOTAS or controller, but that mod supposedly lets you play it like VTOL VR, where you can use your VR controllers to reach out and flip switches or grab the stick within your cockpit.

Ah, that's cool, I didn't know it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is a whole discord dedicated to flatscreen-to-VR modding if you’d like to keep your finger on the pulse or even help out with the mods

https://discord.gg/JggSZycC

Just the list of rooms in that discord shows that the following are being actively developed (some have already been released to the public):

Zelda BOTW
Valheim
Risk of rain 2
Resident evil
Luke Ross R.E.A.L. (These are the GTA/RDR mods)
Fire watch
Outer wilds
Half life 2
Life is Strange
Mechwarrior 5
Deep Rock Galactic
The Long Dark
Borderlands 2

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Come on Valve, I wanna see the stats for January.
https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey has been down for three days (in fact, kinda weird they don't show the data for the past month while the new month is still being processed).

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

EbolaIvory posted:

Its good.

So I tried it this morning, here is my review so far. For comparison I've done a lot of the recorded Les Mills classes online since pandemic started, and I do Supernatural boxing regularly:

Pros:
  • Some cool added moves compared to Supernatural (sky strikes, hammer strikes, and knees are what I've seen so far). I don't mind you can cheese the knees (it is a workout you are just cheating yourself), but it definitely doesn't sound as cool as the supernatural stuff you mentioned.

• The random player leaderboard gives you something to fight against and it is fun.

• The subtle touch of your shadow on the walls when dodging was really slick.

Cons:
  • This is the big one for me: I don't know if it is me or something I'm missing but the timing feels way off. Like every punch is a quarter beat before where it should be in the music. If I am punching to get the biggest score response I feel like I'm nowhere in time with the music.

I've done a lot of the normal Bodycombat streamed classes, have played every VR fitness game there is (haven't done BoxVR since it went subscription, but box in Supernatural a lot), and am a veteran rhythm game player in general and I've never had this problem with any of them. On the slowass tutorial it felt bad, and on the faster high intensity class I picked it felt bad.

• Needs a lot of polish still. Absolutely no calibration, no options whatsoever really. The graphical polish too is really lacking and needs to be improved. Supernatural doesn't do much for the extra options part, but their calibration options are solid and the graphical polish is top level.

The polish issues I could track up to app lab and look past but the timing issues I just can't abide. EbolaIvory did you really not feel that at all? I would blame it on weird latency if it were AirLink or something but this is native Quest 2 so I am at a loss.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone else NEVER use stick turning? I prefer to rotate IRL especially once I went to the Quest for every day use. Even when I'm playing something like ROR2 where you need to basically be constantly circle strafing, always turn my body IRL

...I'm waiting for a Hitman patch

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

The Walrus posted:

Anyone else NEVER use stick turning? I prefer to rotate IRL especially once I went to the Quest for every day use. Even when I'm playing something like ROR2 where you need to basically be constantly circle strafing, always turn my body IRL

I'll only use stick turning in like 90 degree snap modes and that is just reorient my focused area back to facing front while in an action lull. In the heat of combat or whatever it is 100% body turning.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

:eyepop:

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

The Walrus posted:

...I'm waiting for a Hitman patch

I never use it either. Feels so much more immersive to just turn your body.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I only use stick turning because I’m corded (index) and my VR space is small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I know right? I have to imagine they’re leveraging dolphinvr for the Wii U version? It would be interesting to see if the labo VR version could be made to work though? Nintendo got so close with that, but not quite all the way there for a good, cheap VR implementation.

.Ataraxia. posted:

I never use it either. Feels so much more immersive to just turn your body.

It took me a long time to get used to, because my brain was trained to watch out for my CV1 and Rift S cables, but yeah, just turning your body is the way to go.