Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bulk Slash is releasing today in English https://www.reddit.com/r/SegaSaturn/comments/rc2s0y/bulk_slash_english_patch_to_release_this_friday/

quote:

Hey everyone, I just wanted to let you all know that the Bulk Slash English localization team is finally ready to release our patch to the public! We plan on doing it this Friday, Dec. 10 during the live Shiro Show, which begins streaming at 6 p.m. EST: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUmdM9qAnxA

The patch will go live sometime during the show and will be downloadable from here: https://segaxtreme.net/resources/

The patch changes all on-screen Japanese text into English and redubs all Japanese voices into English, from the in-game voices to the ending cutscenes. It also adds support for the Twin Stick controller, which the original Japanese version of Bulk Slash does not have.

The patch will come with a readme with instructions as well as localized manuals — both the original Japanese fold-out manual as well as a new U.S.-style manual and U.S.-style back-of-the-box art.

A total of 29 people have volunteered their time and talent to making this patch over the last 10 months and I'm extremely grateful to everyone who worked on it. Bulk Slash is one of the Saturn's best games and we're super excited to make it more accessible to English speakers.

For more details on the process by which we worked on this thing, check out this forum thread over at SegaXtreme: https://segaxtreme.net/threads/bulk-slash-english-localization-project.24794

Please joins us for the launch party on the Shiro Show this Friday. I hope everyone enjoys the patch — and comes to love Bulk Slash as much as we on the localization team do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sweet, was looking forward to that one.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

falz posted:

This is for the non Bluetooth 2.4ghz dongle that goes in the original systems?

I think they only made 2.4ghz dongles for the NES and Genesis. But no, the way it would work would have to be with the Bluetooth dongles. Not the 2.4ghz one.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Has anyone ever played on a majesco game gear?
I just ordered one and unless snow keeps the carriers from making their appointed rounds it should arrive Tuesday. I think I kind of overpaid for it ($102 shipped) but there’s just not that much info out there about them.

I also am going to recap an original game gear when I get around to it. There’s 100,000 videos of that out there on the internet but I haven’t seen a lot of head to head majesco vs sega comparison.

Still waiting on my Fenrir.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I’m so sad. I just got the game gear (majesco version) I bought off Mercari and it is in nowhere near the good condition the seller claimed. Battery corrosion in both compartments, loud buzz coming from it with any audio on. There’s even what appears to be about a one pixel dent under the screen lens. I’m not sure if it is worth trying to get the seller to partially refund and fix the thing.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i bought a jp megadrive 1, six button controller, rgb scart cable and everdrive, will hook it all up when i get home in about 2 months. cant wait to play real hardware crt megadrive

i also looked for a 32x but theyre crazy expensive in japan, at least 20.000 for a unit

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I just checked and im dumbfounded that the USA one is >$100 loose now too, wtf.

I have one i attempted an Svideo mod on, failed, i should probably fix and sell it.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Guess who showed up for a New Year's Eve party at my house...

I was going to do some depth as far as modding it, but it's really plug and play. Or unplug, and plug and play.
I didn't want to risk injuring my original Saturn which lives in it's case from when it was a blockbuster video rental unit. I bought this one from Japan for $60. I got my Blockbuster one for like $50 20 years ago so adjusted for inflation that one cost me $78 making this one cheaper. It was supposed to not work, but the issues was just that you have to push down on the disc retainer and make sure it clicks all the way into place. Anyway...

Opening up the box here is what came in it:
The Fenrir ODE board, a couple of stickers, and a new flexible ribbon cable. Mine is a 21 pin, but the process is nearly identical on the 20 pin model.

Just flip over the saturn, remove the screws (3 on the main bottom, 2 on the bottom behind the cartridge slot.

Pop the top off, and flip it back over. The inside of this one was pretty gross. Lots of imported dust bunnies. I took it outside and gave it what for with the can of compressed air.

All you really have to do is unplug the power (green), and the ribbon cable (flat white), pull the drive up (there is a retainer strap and screw on mine, which I removed). You don't even have to swap the cable but I did anyway.

Drop the new board in, reattach the cables making sure the pins face down (blue stripe goes up on the Fenrir board, faces to the inside on the Saturn board) and button it back up.

Here you can see the side by side output of Primal Rage (Hey, shut up. It's fun ok.) On the left you can see the composite output, and on the right you can see the Pound HDMI cable. I bought the Saturn version of the Pound cable but have not opened it yet. I am sure it is the same as the Genesis one (seen here with the HDRetrovision Genesis to Saturn adapter). I will take it over to my brother's house at some point and check out the HD Retrovision with it. He is borrowing it because it only works on my tiny tv and he needed a solution for his HDG Genesis I picked up for him.

Overall it took 10 minutes including walking outside and finding my can of compressed air.
Total cost of the project: $60 for the Saturn, $126 for the Fenrir ODE. Castlemania will email / text you a 10% off coupon when you sign up but even then, $14 isn't necessarily a deal breaker for the project. It is cheaper than buying a couple of long box replacements. I still have to wait for my memory card to get here next week in order to play X-Men vs Street Fighter. Hope someone finds this interesting.

otter fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 2, 2022

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Are you a time traveler?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Are you a time traveler?

no comment.

It showed up yesterday and I just did the pictures and stuff today.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Whats Up, Sega Console Thread?
Ever seen one of these?

How about a matched pair?

Is 3 a menage a tois?

Wait a second, one of these is not like the others...

For those unaware of this variant, noted cheap-game-maker Majesco acquired the rights from Sega to produce the Game Gear after Sega had given up and moved on. They moved production to Mexico and cranked out some great units with minor screen improvements and better quality capacitors along with differences in button color (note the start buttons are purple vs the more standard Sega blue), the printing on the screen lens is black and white instead of colored and the labels on the backs (I will take a picture at some point) is a white paper label vs the metallic label Sega had used.

Moderately long story shortened: I bought one off Mercari, it had terrible battery leakage corrosion in it, and bad buzzing from the speaker. I sent it back but it was a hassle. I waited, found another one and pounced on it minutes after it went up, got it cheaper (better condition too) than the janky one. That guy never apparently shipped it. He kept insisting he did, I was patient. I ordered another one, it arrived, I was ready to call it quits on the one I was waiting on when it showed up at last. One of these pictured was a "it doesn't turn on, as is" which turned out to be the worst case of battery corrosion I have ever seen in an electronic device. I will do that as a separate project at some point. For now, it is in the project box with the original Game Gear (pictured) which needs new capacitors. So between two originals, 2 Majescos and 1 Majesco in need of resurrection I now have 5 Game Gears. How many do y'all have? (I still need a blue one)

I just got a box of parts from Handheld Legend today including all new battery contacts and a bunch of capacitors. Now I have a few more projects for rainy days.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That's interesting. How much do those Mexican Game Gears go for on average?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

it really depends on if people know what they have.
Here's what is interesting: When Majesco started making them they cut the price way down. Sega originally charged $150 for it, but I believe Majesco's version dropped to $49, then $39.99. There are some reports of being sold off at the time they quit production for $10 at Toys R Us.

There is one on ebay right now https://www.ebay.com/itm/393885791499?hash=item5bb56c350b:g:2MQAAOSwylRh6MV-
I would literally get up every morning and check a saved search for Game Gear and look at every picture to see if one had come up for sale.
Most people do not even know they are looking at a different thing.
I paid $20 for the broken one, $75 for the best one and $65 for the other one.

In great shape they can fetch $150+
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185262197000?epid=109449838&hash=item2b227cc908:g:VR4AAOSwTUlh54c8

around $100-$130 in average shape.

I should open up the horror show one and take a picture in a few.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

otter posted:

Whats Up, Sega Console Thread?
:words: about Majesco Game Gears

Huh, neat. Love me some lore dumps on esoteric equipment, and honestly, I'm kinda :allears:, kinda :ohdear: about seeing the battery corrosion. I've worked in video games and gaming for a few years, and I've seen some poo poo, so to hear that you're considering it the worst you've seen, it's gotta be impressively bad.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
It's interesting the Majesco Game Gears are better quality than the originals. All of the cartridge releases they got the rights to do feel like cheap poo poo. I got a Majesco Mortal Kombat game in box for the Genesis and was convinced it was a bootleg until I did some research. It feels cheap, the pcb rattles in the plastic casing. Some of them went from color instruction manuals to black and white and whatnot as well.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Ok here's the nasty.
I still haven't even started cleaning it out of the case side yet. I took the audio board and power boards out, and I think I can clean and recap them (not pictured, covered in green crap)

addendum: This is after taking all the chunky stuff off and starting the clean down on the screen half. I need to get a new fiberglass pen and to spend some time cleaning off all the caps on the board. You can see at the bottom there is some fuzzy junk down there on the caps.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
Doesn’t someone make new game gear boards now?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yeah, there's a Dutch guy who started out just doing lcd replacements, but those introduced an audio buzz, so he started replacing the audio chips too, then it kind of spiralled from there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgnbuYgp_oI

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

flavor.flv posted:

Yeah, there's a Dutch guy who started out just doing lcd replacements, but those introduced an audio buzz, so he started replacing the audio chips too, then it kind of spiralled from there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgnbuYgp_oI

Yeah I’m really stoked to get my hands on one but at this point you have to take the chips and card slot off the original board. (Puts hot air station into Amazon cart)

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Being honest, I've not been impressed with what I've seen of the Game Gear screen replacements - the non-integer nearest neighbor scale is some real :gonk: poo poo. I know that's because making an LCD panel custom tailored to the dimensions and screen resolution of the console is prohibitively expensive, but dang, poo poo's worse than the battery guzzler.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Has anyone done a consolized game gear?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Isn’t that just a master system?

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
The Game Gear supported an extra video mode and more colors I think. Lower resolution too.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

pairofdimes posted:

The Game Gear supported an extra video mode and more colors I think. Lower resolution too.

Yeah, that's correct as I understand it; they're very similar but the video hardware was slightly different. (Which created some problems with games that were ported thoughtlessly over to Game Gear; the first boss from 8-bit Sonic 2 went from tricky on SMS to notoriously unfair on SGG because due to the lower screen resolution, its projectiles kept bouncing offscreen before coming back down to hit you).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

pairofdimes posted:

Both could output the same number of colors (32 at once); the Master System's color palette was only 64 total colors, though, while the Game Gear's was something like 4,000. The other difference is that the Game Gear could output stereo sound via the 3.5mm jack, unlike the Master System. Otherwise, the hardware is identical, which makes sense, because the Game Gear was literally Sega re-purposing excess Master System parts they had over-purchased.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
In retrospect increasing the color palette was probably a mistake if for no other reason than the fact that it made doing a Super Game Boy equivalent for the Genesis impossible and not having yet another ridiculous add-on peripheral for the Genesis is always something to mourn

Also looking back it's kind of funny how lacking the Game Gear library is, since most of it is either mostly direct Master System ports or attempts at portable versions of games for the Genesis, the system is just lacking a killer app game for it unlike the Game Boy, actually come to think of it that's probably one of the factors that sunk every non Nintendo made handheld console till the PSP(and the PSP succeeding has to do at least partially with it being a quantum leap ahead of what Nintendo was offering with the DS graphically while still being relatively affordable and not having the battery guzzling issues that crippled the Game Gear and Lynx)

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
The PSP also had its own killer app in Monster Hunter, which wasn't a big deal in the West yet but was already huge in Japan. Meanwhile, the only Game Gear game I caan think of that wasn't a Master System port or a spinoff thereof was Crystal Warriors, an okay Fire Emblem knockoff.

Fortunately, Sega learned its lesson about the importance of a solid library of games and released the Nomad, which was literally just a portable Genesis/Mega Drive that you could plug regular games from those systems into. It did not learn its lesson about the importance of battery life, on the other hand.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Feb 26, 2022

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Thuryl posted:

The PSP also had its own killer app in Monster Hunter, which wasn't a big deal in the West yet but was already huge in Japan. Meanwhile, the only Game Gear game I caan think of that wasn't a Master System port or a spinoff thereof was Crystal Warriors, an okay Fire Emblem knockoff.

Fortunately, Sega learned its lesson about the importance of a solid library of games and released the Nomad, which was literally just a portable Genesis/Mega Drive that you could plug regular games from those systems into. It did not learn its lesson about the importance of battery life, on the other hand.

Yeah while I was one of those people who had hopped into Monster Hunter right from the beginning on the PS2, it didn't really make it's first steps into being something actually accessible as a game until the PSP versions

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Thuryl posted:

Honestly given the glut of YT videos on 90s gaming history I'm surprised I haven't seen one addressing "wtf was SEGA thinking with its portable battery life?"

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I actually recently got a Nomad. It's a weird little thing. D-Pad is a lot better than it looks like it should be. Screen is simultaneously both better and worse than I'd expect. Probably should mod it with a more modern LCD, both for a brighter screen and to save battery power (because despite being brighter, modern LCDs are more power-efficient) - though part of me wants to stick with the LCDs that use composite like the official screen does, something about playing Genesis over composite feels right (and I have a Model 1 Genesis plugged into a CRT over RGB->component if I ever need sharp pixels).

falz
Jan 29, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

Honestly given the glut of YT videos on 90s gaming history I'm surprised I haven't seen one addressing "wtf was SEGA thinking with its portable battery life?"
I mean it's just that batteries were poo poo then and electronics take a lot of batteries.

Their only choice would've been to redesign yet another efficient handheld from the ground up, also not a good idea.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Have you guys seen the newest Macho Nacho?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03OUvRBwjwM
I am incredibly jealous. I was working at the time but I couldn’t figure out how to get onto the wait list for the next batch. I am so in.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

it was still better than the SNES super scope

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mind the walrus posted:

It was more that batteries sucked back then, and the ability to design things for power efficiency wasn’t as easy as it is today where most components are assumed to be running off a battery

Yes the gameboy batteries lasted forever, but sega was trying specifically not to make another gameboy and the things you need to use to make that happen will chew through lovely 90’s batteries

Hell, the lynx was not easy on batteries either, and outside of that and the nomad, the next portable to rival the game gear on features was the GBASP and that was born in the era of lithium batteries and cell phones, so it could take advantage of that tech

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I’ve been tempted to get one of those laser bear battery packs.
My nomad came with the AA pack. It should be fine to load that bitch up with rechargeable modern AA like the energizers , right?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

It's mostly the screens that suck power iirc. But yes using standard recharge AAs is fine, they're all the same voltage. Some just may have more wattage available, which is what you may want for longer life.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'd appreciate some tips on how to sell my childhood Sega Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast collection. I've got a Sega Nomad that's working well, a Saturn that I need to test, was working a few years ago but I don't currently own a TV with composite in or an antenna input, and a Dreamcast that had the GD-ROM drive laser fail, it can't currently read disks. I understand there may be a cheap fix, but I'm not super interested in fixing it myself.

I don't think that any of this stuff is super valuable and don't have huge libraries for any of the 3 systems, but I do have some rarities like Power Stone 2, and I understand that working Saturns have become somewhat rare. Is Ebay the way to go? I'll list on SA-Mart also. Is there a better way to move all this?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Twerk from Home posted:

I'd appreciate some tips on how to sell my childhood Sega Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast collection. I've got a Sega Nomad that's working well, a Saturn that I need to test, was working a few years ago but I don't currently own a TV with composite in or an antenna input, and a Dreamcast that had the GD-ROM drive laser fail, it can't currently read disks. I understand there may be a cheap fix, but I'm not super interested in fixing it myself.

I don't think that any of this stuff is super valuable and don't have huge libraries for any of the 3 systems, but I do have some rarities like Power Stone 2, and I understand that working Saturns have become somewhat rare. Is Ebay the way to go? I'll list on SA-Mart also. Is there a better way to move all this?

Two roads I can see.
One is to get the modifications into them which are super easy, but in the case of the Saturn kind of expensive.
The other is to sell it in a lot to someone who wants to do the repairs.

I have both stock original and modified versions of each.
Modding a saturn with a Fenrir takes about 5 or 6 minutes for the hardware end of it. A Dreamcast takes probably 15 minutes. The investment of the parts will likely turn a higher price than the sum of the parts.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Twerk from Home posted:

You might be surprised if you haven't checked game prices in a bit, especially if the games you have are complete in box. Look them up on Ebay and on the left there's an option to select to view sold listings and base your prices off that. Ebay fees are going to be like 13% of your sold listing, so when selling on SA that's usually the minimum I'll discount my games depending on what I'm selling. I usually leave what I sell in SAMart for 4-7 days to give goons first chance and if no interest put it on Ebay which it will always sell if priced right.

Most consoles fit nicely/safely in a large USPS flat rate box which costs $21.50 to ship anywhere I believe. If whomever buys your console is a couple of states from you or closer you might be able to save $10 on shipping if you have your own box big enough to ship in. It might be worth putting a GDEmu in the Dreamcast, again would check ebay sold prices. I would leave the Saturn alone assuming it's working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you decide to sell here, dibs on the Nomad!

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 24, 2022