Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Giant Ethicist posted:

Depends on if you thought it was going to get... horny :wiggle:

I did not think that, but it did mostly turn out how I expected: with all the regulars going "wow rice gimme rice!" and them having to do much more work than usual due to it. It does seem like she ended up not getting too upset about it though, and it also ends with it saying "They did not put rice on the menu" so it all worked out I guess.

Haifisch posted:

Wouldn't it be on scammer guy to prove he made the dogs first? Does anyone really think he's going to spend the money on an actual lawsuit? Why am I thinking this much about a half baked Rex Morgan plot?

Yes, normally it would be on scammer guy to prove he made the dogs first, rather than Rex having to prove he didn't. The problem is during discovery they'd find Sarah's art book where she drew the dogs, and he'd go "Aha, as you can see, this book she drew in for her lessons contains those dogs, proving she got the design from me." That would be evidence in his favor, and then the burden actually would be on Rex to prove that she drew them by herself, without getting the design from him. That's why they needed Sarah's babysitter to testify that scammer guy didn't draw those designs, and her going "Well I didn't really pay attention" hurts them. Not that the babysitter's testimony would really disprove the claim, but it would be something, and they don't even have that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Twelve by Pies posted:

I did not think that, but it did mostly turn out how I expected: with all the regulars going "wow rice gimme rice!" and them having to do much more work than usual due to it. It does seem like she ended up not getting too upset about it though, and it also ends with it saying "They did not put rice on the menu" so it all worked out I guess.

Yes, normally it would be on scammer guy to prove he made the dogs first, rather than Rex having to prove he didn't. The problem is during discovery they'd find Sarah's art book where she drew the dogs, and he'd go "Aha, as you can see, this book she drew in for her lessons contains those dogs, proving she got the design from me." That would be evidence in his favor, and then the burden actually would be on Rex to prove that she drew them by herself, without getting the design from him. That's why they needed Sarah's babysitter to testify that scammer guy didn't draw those designs, and her going "Well I didn't really pay attention" hurts them. Not that the babysitter's testimony would really disprove the claim, but it would be something, and they don't even have that now.

Man I thought rice was a staple food.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Powered Descent posted:

That's a long story, but I want to say it's been a couple of years now. The former Mark Trail artist, James Allen, had thoroughly established himself as a right-wing shithead, but the final straw was when he used the official Mark Trail twitter account to make sexually inappropriate jokes about a congresswoman. He was finally removed by the syndicate, and replaced by a new artist, Jules Rivera, who has introduced such radical ideas as "actually drawing everything instead of endlessly recycling clip art", and "updating the characters to not be quite so 1950s", and even "acknowledging the reality of things like climate change".

And that doesn't even get into how one of the last villains in Allen's run on the strip was based on one of the posters in this thread. Or how people mocking him on Twitter caused him to try actually drawing some of his own art instead of cut-and-pasting Jack Elrod's old sketches, with hilarious results.

Oh wow, thanks for the info. I hazily recall the goon-based 'villain' and the yeti storyline, and some of the bizarre attempts at his own art.

Thanks for jogging my memory!

I like the look of new Mark Trail.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

LadyPictureShow posted:

Oh wow, thanks for the info. I hazily recall the goon-based 'villain' and the yeti storyline, and some of the bizarre attempts at his own art.

Thanks for jogging my memory!

I like the look of new Mark Trail.

Pour out a 40 for our homie, Dr. Harvey Camel
https://nebushumor.wordpress.com/20...019-march-2020/

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Technowolf posted:

What if the murderer ... :crossarms: was CANCER!

Cancer She Wrote, coming this fall on Showtime.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! February 22, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True February 19, 1919

Gay and Her Gang March 4, 1930

Oaky Doaks August 3, 1936

Mopsy October 11, 1937

How?

Up Front December 11, 1944

Dark Laughter November 4, 1950

So It Seems April 16, 1952

Those Were the Days August 7, 1958

Wee Pals April 25, 1966

Dogbert November 30, 1966

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I'd forgotten how amazingly bad Allen's Mark Trail was. Look at Doc's head in that middle panel! Look at all of the faces! :roflolmao:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Maybe sell that loving boat you got for free a few years ago.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Calaveron posted:

Incidentally, why is thread #19 off the live forums? I could've sworn I checked it out a couple of weeks ago to look up some of Wilbur's greatest hits but now I get an error message saying I can't access it

Did anyone try to look into this? It would be a pretty big loss if the entire thread is gone.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
MOD EDIT: The Far Side removed

Pickles

Zits

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 5, 2022

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

BigglesSWE posted:

Cancer She Wrote, coming this fall on Showtime.

I met a little girl named Sunscreen

Oh that's from cancer she didn't write.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kennel posted:

Did anyone try to look into this? It would be a pretty big loss if the entire thread is gone.

I've asked in QCS.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

Now I'm not an expert or anything, but this seems wildly illegal somehow.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days August 7, 1958

Going on a limb but I'm reasonably certain that bitching about the family camping trip has been a tradition as old as camping itself.

Crabgrass is on break.

Old School Peanuts (May 5, 1953)

Susie and Hobbes (Sep 4-5, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Tiggum posted:

I'd forgotten how amazingly bad Allen's Mark Trail was. Look at Doc's head in that middle panel! Look at all of the faces! :roflolmao:

James Allen was a lovely person and a worse comics artist.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 2/5-7/48

Who said "I wonder what's happening with Tornado?" Nobody? Too bad.

You'd be weak and exhausted too if you'd lost 100 pounds in, what has it been, half a week?

It turns out that Abretha's insatiable appetite is because her natural metabolism is akin to a nuclear reactor.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

James Allen was a lovely person and a worse comics artist.

lovely person, yes. But I'm honestly getting more entertainment out of these strips than most of Rivera's. :haw:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Lol Gary Larson sent me a dmca notice and I have to remove some embedded images. Sorry I've slacked on that.

:ms:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Hey I hid the old thread because Gary Larson sent me a dmca takedown notice. Please link to far side comics instead of embedding them.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Hey I hid the old thread because Gary Larson sent me a dmca takedown notice. Please link to far side comics instead of embedding them.

lmao that owns

guess ol' gary is still less than enthusiastic about Internet comics

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
lol

hell yea

sorry gary

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wow lol

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Welp. Sorry, Gary

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Scary Gary

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I’m gonna choose to believe that it was sent by Larson personally.

Meaning he knows about SA.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Ha ha, gently caress yeah, Gary

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

i used to think you were cool gary

used to

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Wish me luck everyone, I have cold-y symptoms and am worried it's the 'rona. In other news, in today's Blueberry: Yet more horse abuse from Blueberry, or Blueberry saves the federales labour in the inevitable civil asset forfeiture, or Has someone actually kept count of how many horses Blueberry is responsible for killing? It must be in the high twenties by now...

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Twelve by Pies posted:

90s Overboard, while I still think it's better than the current version, is running a lot of jokes into the ground, so I can see how it'd get a little tiresome. The biggest thing I'd miss if it stopped getting posted is that I'm curious when all the talking animals came into the strip.
Just for you: 90s Overboard Time Travel. I picked a couple strips at random from each year until I started seeing talking animals.

1997:

1999: Louie spotted! But no other animals yet.

2000: OK that first one was actually pretty funny

2001: Now in color! And with a demonstration of why almost nothing in this strip is drawn from a head-on perspective.

2002: Still just Louie. Lots and lots of Louie. I think the artist must have gotten a dog in 1999 and quickly became a dog fanatic.

2003...does not exist in gocomic's archive. strange.

2004: Raymond!

Skipping a year to go to 2006 and: Mice!

So basically overboard's spent a lot more time in talking animal hell than as a comic about pirate gags and pirates failing to hit on women. :ms:

Normal comics post later because I technically posted Thursday's comics right after midnight here. Also gonna swap out Overboard for OG Computoon. :getin:

e: Also loving lol at the Larson thing. :allears: It was fun seeing it posted here while it lasted(now it's one more click to read them every day, the horror)

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 4, 2022

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Axa

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Samovar posted:

Wish me luck everyone, I have cold-y symptoms and am worried it's the 'rona.

No...............hopefully it's not, good luck Samovar

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Haifisch posted:

90s Overboard Time Travel.

This owns, thank you

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Oh, Jental.

No i.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Haifisch posted:

Just for you: 90s Overboard Time Travel. I picked a couple strips at random from each year until I started seeing talking animals.

Hey, thanks for this! I think you're right that he got a dog and that's why it got put into the strip, and at least the first few ones aren't just "worship dog, dog is life," and that one you mentioned as being actually pretty funny really was. I guess I didn't get to see how Ray got into the strip (but did get a good look at an early appearance and have a rough idea of around when he showed up), but the mice was just straight up "There are mice now, and also they can talk because why not, and one of them wants to bang the pirate captain."

Even for Axa this arc has been incredibly weird and horny.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Oh well, back to screengrabbing the strips off the Far Side site. Figures a site that disables right-click would also be persnickety about sharing.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/3/02

Brenda Starr 2/8/48

Smokey Stover 12/30/45

Everyday Movies 10/23/34

"Oh go ahead, see if she's still nuts about him -- we can write on it 'opened by mistake.'"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Just hire a regular loving lab assistant, you creep!