Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

:actually: if an ice storm is coming, i'll clean my windshield and then throw a fresh towel across it. who cares about parts where there's paint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

lifelong floridian but i'm p. sure physics works the same everywhere

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

it might not though, and thorough testing is the cornerstone of rigour

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

taqueso posted:

The tarp thing is not that strange, though I can't say I've ever seen someone use one.

Since moving to CO from IL I've seen a lot of gimmicky poo poo like this

The number one most confusing thing that I see here that I never saw in IL is people lifting the windshield wipers long before it snows because...?

Definitely worth wearing out the tension springs for no reason lol

It's glaringly and hiliariously obvious when someone has no experience in cold winter weather, especially with all the southerners and Californians around here

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I have concrete memories of the blizzard of '96, I wish we'd had the tarp trick then

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

OK baizuo posted:

Definitely worth wearing out the tension springs for no reason

idk if this works at all and saw it a lot in Duluth but also that’s some extreme dad “I don’t want to burn out my headlights early” driving without headlights on at all times logic

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You aren't going to wear out the springs lifting the wipers.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

OK baizuo posted:

Since moving to CO from IL I've seen a lot of gimmicky poo poo like this

The number one most confusing thing that I see here that I never saw in IL is people lifting the windshield wipers long before it snows because...?

Definitely worth wearing out the tension springs for no reason lol

It's glaringly and hiliariously obvious when someone has no experience in cold winter weather, especially with all the southerners and Californians around here

its common in IL, as I live here and saw a dozen of my neighbors doing it.

Its to prevent your wipers from freezing to your windshield so you can use them

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

yeah you lift the wipers so that they don't get little ice clumps on them

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i lift the wipers so i can forget to put them back down then when i try to wiper the last powdery bits of snow off my windshield they just wiggle pointlessly at the sky

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

if your door handle freezes you can pee on it to thaw it

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
what if we assume a perfectly frictionless tarp and a perfectly spherical car

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I can confirm that there is now ice on the ground in Houston. Which is not where ice belongs at all.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

put the wiper blades up so you can dig out the snow and ice that deposits at the base of the windshield, and also not have ice blocks for wipers.

it’s winter 5-6 months of the year here, first snow in mid October and sticks around until mid April. last night it was -47c with the windchill lol

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
Why don't you just get a remote start or perhaps consider parking your car in the garage lmao

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

i like to stuff the tarp beneath the wiper blades

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

remote start is great but it’s not going to melt snow off a windshield, that’s what pulling into traffic and letting it blow off is for

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Doomy posted:

remote start is great but it’s not going to melt snow off a windshield, that’s what pulling into traffic and letting it blow off is for

Dude you gotta remember to set the heat on full blast when you park and then start it when you get up. Even if it doesn't literally melt everything away there will be a puddle under that snow and you can just push broom it off, shloomp.

It always cracked me up seeing people pull up to a stop having not cleared the roof and since the car had warmed up a bit the whole pile just slides forward onto the windshield.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

keep the roof of your car open and light a bonfire inside it to turn any falling snow into harmless rain

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://poweroutage.us

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

what if the car was on a treadmill

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Computer, play Gummo

Sadistic Hamster
Jan 1, 2005

Just secure the tarp in the rear to something like stakes in the ground or tied off to an ???, through the eyelets, then drive away forwards.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

just accept that once your vehicle is fully encased in the snow that the car is lost until spring

meanwhile you can tie the tarp to the back of your neighbors car and ride it to work like a sled

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

use 2 tarps

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

if you pull the tarps under the wheels while the car is in neutral fast enough it'll take off

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Tarp Talk

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
ive also heard that pouring boiling water on your car to simply melt the snow away is a good life hack

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
alternately cover your car in salt. really grind it into all the crannies so that the snow melts faster

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
also getting the snow off my car is my driver’s job. and if he didn’t do it my assistant could

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
My cars buried in snow, buy me a new one.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
with tarp, all things are possible

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I remember TARP

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Troubled Automobile Relief Program

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Lots of posts in the weather thread, RIP Texas. Oh, no, everyone is just tarpin' around.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Wait so if the main problem with the tarp plan is the weight of the snow, why not brine the tarp??

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Wait so if the main problem with the tarp plan is the weight of the snow, why not brine the tarp??

Is this you?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
Blue Tarp Man hates Government Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Doomy posted:

I don't think you do it right, you use a short pipe pipe and to blow the exhaust into the car to super heat up the interior and quickly melt off the snow