Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

I've been car free for a few years now, so I'll be riding and walking instead!

I don't begrudge anyone not taking a stand that conflicts with their personal risk tolerances. But I'm going to take the steps I feel comfortable taking, whether it's cautiously asserting my right of way at an intersection as a pedestrian, carefully taking a lane when I have no other choice on a bike, or relaxing with the cruise control set to 60 on the freeway. These things might put me at marginally higher risk of being murdered by an rear end in a top hat :shrug:

going 60 on the freeway is fine and everyone dogpiling you because of it is weird imo, especially in this thread

cars are tearing us apart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I hate them so god drat much. I think so many things about cars I could never tell anyone

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Lastgirl posted:

its the most insane thing we have that's normalized honestly, i feel like i do a small prayer and get super vigilant everytime i take the merging lane

yes! now that i drive once in a while instead of daily, when I'm on the highway I'm like: whoa if I moved my hands 4 inches to any side by accident, I would probably be dead within seconds

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

this clearly does not work for everyone or even most peopel but one thing that got me to drive more slowly was the lil current gas mileage display on my car's console. like i get super mad if i'm not maxing that thing out, which on the highway means driving steady at about 60 mph. any faster is worse mileage!!!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sphyre posted:

obviously the honda driver was insane, but the truck driver chose to escalate and put other people's lives at risk by speeding up and attempting to block the honda as it was going for the dangerous pass. the only reasonable answer is that both drivers should be taken outside and shot in the back of the head

well yeah, obviously, one of them is a homicidal driver and the other one drives a truck. death to both

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

lobster shirt posted:

this clearly does not work for everyone or even most peopel but one thing that got me to drive more slowly was the lil current gas mileage display on my car's console. like i get super mad if i'm not maxing that thing out, which on the highway means driving steady at about 60 mph. any faster is worse mileage!!!

This is the eternal struggle with cruise control folks since it's more efficient to coast down a hill and keep the same thrust up.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
All of this road rage and crashing talk reminds me of the worst road rage I have ever experienced.

It's scary when someone is raging and you're watching them driving erratically all over the road, but its way scarier when you are the passenger and the driver has lost all sense of reason.

I was riding with someone I hardly knew In a civic coupe sitting in the back seat and they got in a rage at another driver and got it up to 120 mph on a two lane road which I think is as fast as a car like that can go. It was a def top 10 terrifying moment in my life. I was thinking "if this idiot kills us I am going to be pissed because it is the stupidest way to go out "

And I hate cars

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Sphyre posted:

obviously the honda driver was insane, but the truck driver chose to escalate and put other people's lives at risk by speeding up and attempting to block the honda as it was going for the dangerous pass. the only reasonable answer is that both drivers should be taken outside and shot in the back of the head

they should be forced to duke it out in the carloseum

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I misread a thing, pretend I said “Grrr, cars”

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

thought this thread might appreciate this documentary about american car culture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06BFsQ_28Co

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol

Perry Mason Jar posted:

What kind of psychos cheer when someone flips their car on a highway at high-speed? gently caress these people. What the hell?

someone flipping their car when they were trying to kill other people with it is actually good

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

actionjackson posted:

lol

someone flipping their car when they were trying to kill other people with it is actually good

cars kill a lot of drivers so its impossible to say if they're bad or not

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

cars and American roads are designed to induce psychosis, everyone in that video is a victim but they should also have their licenses revoked and they need to undergo mandatory decarbrainification

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
everyday in winter our factory puts out these PA announcements telling people who parked in non-spaces to move their cars. The problem is simply that there is not enough parking in the winter for all of the employees here, since some spots are now occupied by big snow banks.

The idea that we reduce the number of cars coming into the lot is unthinkable. Putting a bus stop out front so that people don't have to walk two miles from the next closest one is unthinkable. We can only pave more nature for more space, so that we have extra room in winter.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I've seen a couple examples of people doing things with street storage space other than parking and it always makes drivers' heads explode.
https://twitter.com/anotherJon/status/1489296741765718025?t=xJJXA-oXLb2lgoOwyFSmog&s=19

"You've set up a parklet with seating and shrubbery in my space for my car? Why, that's terrorism! Felonious terrorism!"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's been sad watching my neighborhood transition over the last six years. When I first moved there one side of the street had yellow curbs (no parking), and most of the houses were rented or owned by families. Climbing home value and rent prices have led to most of the houses being rented by 4 or 5 roommates, so there are twice as many vehicles. The curbs have faded, so people park on both sides of the street. Drivers keep crashing into parked cars, mailboxes, and even someone's house. It's all noticeably worse.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

In the UK, you probably need planning permission to put a small bike shed in your front garden. But you can pave over the garden and park a horrible old van there, and then store your bikes in that. That's "normal".

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Cugel the Clever posted:

I've seen a couple examples of people doing things with street storage space other than parking and it always makes drivers' heads explode.

"You've set up a parklet with seating and shrubbery in my space for my car? Why, that's terrorism! Felonious terrorism!"

hey remember that bit of pavement that doesn't have cars parked on it? well,

speedbumps for wheelchairs

speedbumps for pushchairs

can't possibly put these anywhere but the pavement, what if we blocked a bit of the parking spaces?????

better parking than the disabled because you bought an e-golf

"oh boo hoo I got told I couldn't lay my robo-arm on the pavement anymore what about MY RIGHTS"

how much car brain makes you even think this is okay

remember when stealing electricity from lamp posts was a joke, now it's a perk of owning a Renault Zoe

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Bobstar posted:

In the UK, you probably need planning permission to put a small bike shed in your front garden. But you can pave over the garden and park a horrible old van there, and then store your bikes in that. That's "normal".

Along similar lines, the 12-unit building I live in has 15 parking spaces for cars and nothing, not even a post, for bikes. A few of us ride bikes daily and would like to turn one parking space into a bike locker, but two insane car-brained old people who live in the building would rather burn this place to the ground than allow that. I'm legitimately considering buying a broke-down van from craigslist or some poo poo and parking it in one of the spots solely to use as bike storage, because keeping one or two bikes inside a useless car is allowed while spending a pittance of money to turn one spot into storage for a dozen bikes won't happen until they die or move out.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Horace posted:

hey remember that bit of pavement that doesn't have cars parked on it? well,

speedbumps for wheelchairs

speedbumps for pushchairs

can't possibly put these anywhere but the pavement, what if we blocked a bit of the parking spaces?????

better parking than the disabled because you bought an e-golf

"oh boo hoo I got told I couldn't lay my robo-arm on the pavement anymore what about MY RIGHTS"

how much car brain makes you even think this is okay

remember when stealing electricity from lamp posts was a joke, now it's a perk of owning a Renault Zoe

I remember arguing with some goon a while ago about how electric cars weren't practical for a large chunk of the population who live in a house without a garage or who share a house with multiple other people, because in reality you need to be able to slow-charge an electric car overnight wherever you live for it to be any real use. I think it was 3 olives? They were very insistent that basically nobody would really have an issue finding somewhere to charge their car (hint: it's because they're insanely privileged and have never lived somewhere without off-street parking).

Just another reason why electric cars are not the 'answer' and are just another way of rich people pretending to do something about the environment while actually consuming even more resources.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I thought you all liked old cities. We're just returning to the way they were in their heyday!

(except all over the ground)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I thought you all liked old cities. We're just returning to the way they were in their heyday!

(except all over the ground)

it's so funny that the solution to this was "this is loving bullshit - cut them down and DO IT BETTER"

can you imagine any modern government institution having that level of regulatory balls?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
like if we had a growing trend of people fighting monkeys in underground arena fights, the regulation would be to make sure a vet is on-site to euthanize them if they get too hurt and then invest all public pension money into the monkey fights

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Blackhawk posted:

I remember arguing with some goon a while ago about how electric cars weren't practical for a large chunk of the population who live in a house without a garage or who share a house with multiple other people, because in reality you need to be able to slow-charge an electric car overnight wherever you live for it to be any real use. I think it was 3 olives? They were very insistent that basically nobody would really have an issue finding somewhere to charge their car (hint: it's because they're insanely privileged and have never lived somewhere without off-street parking).

Just another reason why electric cars are not the 'answer' and are just another way of rich people pretending to do something about the environment while actually consuming even more resources.

We're like 6 years into EV discourse and to this day when I remind people who try to handwave away infrastructure concerns that renters and apartment complexes exist, they just get all boggle eyed at the notion that people who don't live an affluent area or own detached housing with a garage should be considered for anything at all lol

This is to say nothing of "how much worse would the Texas winter catastrophe have been if in addition to everything else, 30 million cars were also charging while all that was going on?"

mystes
May 31, 2006

We had fully electric streetcars everywhere a hundred and twenty loving years ago

And now it's like "oh we just need to wait for the tech bros to come and save us with $100k luxury electric cars , otherwise it's impossible to have electric vehicles"

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

like if we had a growing trend of people fighting monkeys in underground arena fights, the regulation would be to make sure a vet is on-site to euthanize them if they get too hurt and then invest all public pension money into the monkey fights
holy poo poo tell me more about this monkey fighting

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

it's so funny that the solution to this was "this is loving bullshit - cut them down and DO IT BETTER"

can you imagine any modern government institution having that level of regulatory balls?

Now the government is all about maintaining the hierarchy. If you won before, you must be allowed to continue despite any evidence that you should stop, in fact we will sabotage any alternative to ensure your position is maintained.

Exactly like this.

But hey they made money on it, so they have money now, so they are now above regulation and the law in general. There are many fans of monkey fighting and we can't disappoint them. The key to any scam or evil enterprise these days is to reach financial escape velocity. You making fake accounts for money is fraud, Wells Fargo doing it is just a business line. You dealing H on the corner is a crime, Sacklers made enough money to become above the law.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dolphin posted:

holy poo poo tell me more about this monkey fighting

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

another reason that electric cars wont save us is that cars make a whole lot more pollution than just carbon emissions: https://www.sciencenews.org/article/car-tires-and-brake-pads-produce-harmful-microplastics and https://www.emissionsanalytics.com/news/pollution-tyre-wear-worse-exhaust-emissions

in fact i suspect electric cars, being heavier, will be worse in this respect

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

going 60 on the freeway is fine and everyone dogpiling you because of it is weird imo, especially in this thread

Driving slowly is fine and normal, you just need to pull over occasionally and have a break to let road ragers past you imo

Yesterday while driving over a two lane winding mountain drive behind a logging truck that could only take corners at 25kmh, a Skoda and Audi both tried to overtake the queue and nearly forced someone off the road in front of me. As soon as I saw them in my rear view I slowed to like 15kmh and if I hadn't they prob would have caused a crash

They never made it past the logging truck lmao

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the best part about driving slow on the highway is if you drive slow enough you can just leave your cruise control on and never worry about slowing down or passing anyone unless there's a traffic jam

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

lobster shirt posted:

another reason that electric cars wont save us is that cars make a whole lot more pollution than just carbon emissions: https://www.sciencenews.org/article/car-tires-and-brake-pads-produce-harmful-microplastics and https://www.emissionsanalytics.com/news/pollution-tyre-wear-worse-exhaust-emissions

amazes me that this is like a big scoop. your tyres went smooth and your brake pads got smaller. what did everyone think was happening to that missing rubber and asbestos? hopefully electric cars heavy use of regen will mean a lot less brake dust, but the increased weight probably means more tyre wear.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/BFryback/status/1489674207512326149?t=cRi-mLzOMPeMVXkoZNLIag&s=19

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Saw this rather confused Audi (?) taking a stroll through the park. I've seen cars in bike lanes before but never footpaths in parks

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

lobster shirt posted:

Also, lithium ion batteries consume a ton of carbon to produce and produce a bunch of extra damage. Even in California, it would take 4-7 years to catch up with a Prius in emissions.

Eventually, electric cars will happen and be more efficient but the issue is cars period: self driving electric cars aren’t fixing the issue.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

insane levels of car brain thinking its funny and not very alarming that you have no visibility of your own child when she walks in front of your car, how easy it would be to kill her by mistake.

then again in that local news investigation where they showed a mom that like six kids could be sitting in a line in front of her huge SUV and she wouldn't be able to see them her reaction was "they should put cameras on the front" lol

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Horace posted:

amazes me that this is like a big scoop. your tyres went smooth and your brake pads got smaller. what did everyone think was happening to that missing rubber and asbestos? hopefully electric cars heavy use of regen will mean a lot less brake dust, but the increased weight probably means more tyre wear.

I've brought this up before too, but not only more tire wear but also more road damage. Road damage is proportional to axle weight to the power of 4, so even small increases in vehicle weight result in big increases in road damage rate. It's bad enough that literally every type of car has gotten MUCH heavier over the last few decades, but battery-electric cars are inevitably much heavier again, especially when people DEMAND 300+ miles of range for the one time every few months they go on a road trip. More road damage means more environmental damage.

By contrast a bicycle (even an e-bike), being as light as it is, results in functionally zero damage to infrastructure. It also produces much less waste in tire and brake pad wear, again by being light and having almost no power.

Personal vehicles could be significantly better for the environment and they could be much more suited to the tasks people actually use them for every day, but road-worthiness regulations explicitly ban these types of vehicles and people have been brainwashed into wanting things that are totally unnecessary for them so would never buy an objectively better option even if it were available.

I'm an engineer and I've always been really interested in renewable energy and transportation, I've posted my little fully-faired e-bike/pedal car thing in this thread but I'll do it again:

I'd love to design and make a more consumer-friendly type single-person electric vehicle, super light-weight, low top speed, low range, using natural fibre composite materials that would satisfy >90% of daily vehicle trips at a tiny fraction of the environmental damage. But such a vehicle would be illegal in basically all countries and nobody would ever buy it even if they could.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

(but unironically)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

insane levels of car brain thinking its funny and not very alarming that you have no visibility of your own child when she walks in front of your car, how easy it would be to kill her by mistake.

then again in that local news investigation where they showed a mom that like six kids could be sitting in a line in front of her huge SUV and she wouldn't be able to see them her reaction was "they should put cameras on the front" lol

I want more points of failure! More!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Blackhawk posted:

I've brought this up before too, but not only more tire wear but also more road damage. Road damage is proportional to axle weight to the power of 4, so even small increases in vehicle weight result in big increases in road damage rate. It's bad enough that literally every type of car has gotten MUCH heavier over the last few decades, but battery-electric cars are inevitably much heavier again, especially when people DEMAND 300+ miles of range for the one time every few months they go on a road trip. More road damage means more environmental damage.

By contrast a bicycle (even an e-bike), being as light as it is, results in functionally zero damage to infrastructure. It also produces much less waste in tire and brake pad wear, again by being light and having almost no power.

Personal vehicles could be significantly better for the environment and they could be much more suited to the tasks people actually use them for every day, but road-worthiness regulations explicitly ban these types of vehicles and people have been brainwashed into wanting things that are totally unnecessary for them so would never buy an objectively better option even if it were available.

I'm an engineer and I've always been really interested in renewable energy and transportation, I've posted my little fully-faired e-bike/pedal car thing in this thread but I'll do it again:

I'd love to design and make a more consumer-friendly type single-person electric vehicle, super light-weight, low top speed, low range, using natural fibre composite materials that would satisfy >90% of daily vehicle trips at a tiny fraction of the environmental damage. But such a vehicle would be illegal in basically all countries and nobody would ever buy it even if they could.

I'm still lolling that if you actually had to pay RUCs appropriate to its weight on an ev in NZ , and couldn't slow charge the ev at home, the yearly cost to run would be higher than than an efficient non hybrid car