Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

DLC Inc posted:

curious how the gently caress this poo poo was so clandestine even back in the CWC, and only now resurfaced. Tony is terminally online, how did he not know this.

I think it's less that it was 'clandestine' and more that it was 'who gives a poo poo about THE Brian Kendrick'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lid posted:

lol someone is sour, wager that they were meant to be in the rumble but Plans Changed

https://twitter.com/RealNickAldis/status/1489007245937545221

no loving way nick adis was gonn be in the rumble, not even Vince is that bad at booking

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Wrestlenomics (Brandon Thurston) has released its 2021 report and the over all outlook is not great honestly. WWE is the only game in town in real terms and it's on shaky foundations.

https://twitter.com/wrestlenomics/status/1488703358580011008

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
I just remembered that Kendrick was on the Art of Wrestling and they even joked about him being into conspiracy theories. May have been after he said all that Holocaust denial bullshit too.

That interview is loving surreal in retrospect.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Kendrick being a conspiracy person has been know for a long time. But it was largely flat earth and fake moon landing. Him having strong opinions on (((them))) wasn’t common knowledge

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

fez_machine posted:

Wrestlenomics (Brandon Thurston) has released its 2021 report and the over all outlook is not great honestly. WWE is the only game in town in real terms and it's on shaky foundations.

Not great in terms of what? AEW is making more money than any non-WWE wrestling promotion in history and both of their TV deals get renewed for more and more money. What are "real terms" and how is WWE on shaky foundations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Not great in terms of what? AEW is making more money than any non-WWE wrestling promotion in history and both of their TV deals get renewed for more and more money. What are "real terms" and how is WWE on shaky foundations.

People aren’t gonna pay for his blog post thing if the news is “everything’s fine”

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

This seems exactly as you'd expect

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

yoikes. from those numbers they ought to change the name of it to give-it-a-rest-ling

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

born on a buy you posted:

Kendrick being a conspiracy person has been know for a long time. But it was largely flat earth and fake moon landing. Him having strong opinions on (((them))) wasn’t common knowledge

He also thinks the sun is actually cold.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

The real terms of wrestling's overall popularity (which is essentially WWE's popularity) and the shaky foundations are less and less people are googling WWE terms, WWE is declining in interest compared to other sports, ratings which underpin those TV deals are falling and WWE's falling faster than the average.

So to me the long term outlook for the big money is not good unless trends some how change in the next decade.

History Comes Inside! posted:

People aren’t gonna pay for his blog post thing if the news is “everything’s fine”

More people will pay to hear good news than unpleasant news as Bryan Alvarez's gold boat rant testifies. Besides my conclusions aren't Brandon Thurston's conclusions at all. If anything because he runs a wrestling school (Daniel Garcia was trained there) he's invested in people thinking that there's money in wrestling in the long term.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Feb 3, 2022

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

fez_machine posted:

The real terms of wrestling's overall popularity (which is essentially WWE's popularity) and the shaky foundations are less and less people are googling WWE terms, WWE is declining in interest compared to other sports, ratings which underpin those TV deals are falling and WWE's falling faster than the average.

So to me the long term outlook for the big money is not good unless trends some how change in the next decade.

Unless the entire live sports economy collapses WWE and AEW are going to be fine. AEW in particular will be getting a huge increase in their next TV deal

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Rarity posted:

Unless the entire live sports economy collapses WWE and AEW are going to be fine. AEW in particular will be getting a huge increase in their next TV deal

I predict the next round of tv deals will be very lucrative for both companies but on a longer time scale (over a decade or so), the true test will be if AEW can pick up the people turned off by WWE's abysmal product or whether the damage will be so thorough to people's interest in wrestling that another sport proves to be a better bet than broadcasting live professional wrestling for the major tv/cable companies.

I don't think the live sports boom has to completely collapse for wrestling to be effected by a decline in WWE's value. Although there's still a long term decline in interest in watching live sports on television.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Feb 3, 2022

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Not following this logic where AEW is dependent on WWE's ratings rather than its own

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

fez_machine posted:

The most generous interpretation is that he was just repeating poo poo other people have said in a big compilation of conspiracies like some people do with Mount Shasta and the underground tunnels below Dallas Airport. Not necessarily stuff you believe but put together like an Iceberg post/video

Unfortunately, Holocaust denial and anti-Semitic poo poo should never be considered fun or repeatable in a neutral context, so Kendrick full on sucks anyway.

His first shoot with London got pre-meme era meme over among a small group of hardcore fans because of all the weird poo poo that he said (edit: and how incredibly anti-WWE he, and to a much greater extent, London were). It was nearly 15 years ago. Both the world and I have changed since then, but my recollection is that the stuff that he said there was weird, but not offensive. He then seemed to jump into doing it online as a gimmick to get more attention for a bit. I stopped paying attention because it got boring quickly, but whatever his real beliefs might be, it clearly descended.

If one wanted to be as generous as possible, like you mentioned, it could be read as "part of the gimmick" and "working." He doesn't really explain that in his tweet at all (and trying to do so. if that was the case might have made his apology seem combative in an unproductive way), but saying it while not believing it as a gimmick is really no better than believing it. So yeah, he sucks

collocation fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Feb 3, 2022

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’m sure it was more easily written off as fruitcake nonsense 15 years ago when that same brand of fruitcake nonsense wasn’t being mainstreamed and pushed by prominent public figures.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Rarity posted:

Not following this logic where AEW is dependent on WWE's ratings rather than its own

It only matters in as much as WWE sets the high water mark of funding and my belief that when WWE fans stop watching WWE they stop watching wrestling much like WCW fans did.

I also think it will take longer for AEW to reach where WWE is currently in ratings than it will for WWE to fall in to AEW territory. AEW needs to grow fast enough that it can outpace the year on year fall in people who watch live television.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

fez_machine posted:

AEW needs to grow fast enough that it can outpace the year on year fall in people who watch live television.

Yeah it's doing this

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/NylaRoseBeast/status/1489087891359899651

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Is this one of those NFT's the Internet is on about?

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
Looking at the Raw/NXT deal only (not Peacock or Smackdown) AEW is pulling in only about 20% per rating point delivered than WWE is. Adjust that for the less marquee brand, tougher sell to advertisers etc they’re still looking at a 4x increase in TV revenues in 2023 when the current deal ends. Future growth will depend on wresting popularity/live TV rights value trends but in the short term they’re looking at a lottery ticket when they come off their “rookie” deal

This is also why people who think Tony wants to “destroy” WWE are insane—the value of WWE’s TV deal going down would be a huge negative indicator for them. Put out better creative, beat Raw in the ratings, sure, but AEW wants to see WWE get a bidding war for their .40 because it’s their closest comp sale

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

7 bids

adding shipping was a nice touch

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Highspots sold multiple products with the basis of "come talk crazy into the camera under the influence for an hour so you and us both make money" so they enabled and encouraged Kendrick to take more extreme positions over time. Real lovely scene.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Kendrick particularly was the go to dude for saying weird poo poo than, in retrospect, was incredibly harmful. I'm glad he apologized because unlike Ronda Rousey, he has actual long term value to the industry.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah I can perfectly believe that the poo poo he said then doesn’t accurately represent the feelings he holds in his heart. They were heinous things, so I don’t blame anyone who isn’t particularly moved by that concept.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CZgxdaFl52Y/?utm_medium=copy_link

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

https://twitter.com/SamiZayn/status/1489314668607057920

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I think Sami Zayn is a dapper looking fellow and a fun guy. I'm sorry he can't live in harmony with the jackass boys

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

https://mobile.twitter.com/NylaRoseBeast/status/1489309730157826052

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/snowboiiii/status/1489346593623056387?s=20&t=8Eb03o-ByBsmVfvY06kqXw

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

lol what else is there to say

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/TheRealSabuECW/status/1489340124315799552

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

"Oh poo poo"
-Sabu

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

JFC could no one get Preston Lacey a loving tailor or something?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

lol

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Jiro posted:

JFC could no one get Preston Lacey a loving tailor or something?

It's a gimmick.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Love to see him sink to new depths.

https://twitter.com/GentlemanJervis/status/1489416493913690114

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
When it comes to pro-wrestling, Holocaust Deniers are as common as breathing anymore.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://twitter.com/roderickstrong/status/1489332026452983820?s=21

lovely little boots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

End of Heartache is my favorite finisher name. There’s some really great ones these days, Made in Japan, Death Rider (and Paradigm Shift).

Love a good finisher name.