Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

Why are people treating Russia like it's so backwards it can't figure out how a Javelin works and so they're going to be rushing to get one like it's a big win for a military that has hypersonic cruise missiles and anti-satellite weaponry? Like, they may not be able to match the US in conventional arms but a Javelin is not going to throw them for a loop

Because something like 25% of the components of their current/next gen platforms come from overseas. The issue isn't actually that they don't know how it works, it's that they can't really domestically produce high-end stuff in quantity.

e: a free Javelin to take apart would be nice, but they almost certainly don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alchenar posted:

Because something like 25% of the components of their current/next gen platforms come from overseas. The issue isn't actually that they don't know how it works, it's that they can't really domestically produce high-end stuff in quantity.

e: a free Javelin to take apart would be nice, but they almost certainly don't care.

The only thing a Javelin would be useful in the reverse-engineering sense would be using them to develop counter-ATGM gear and tactics against that specific platform. But even that wouldn't last long.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It's an old launcher with plenty of countries using it, including countries known for corrupt public officials. I would be really surprised if Russians haven't dissected at least a couple by now, whichever way they've gotten them.

yeah it's a widely used system that is over 25 years old, there's nothing at all secret about it

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Does anyone buy this crisis-actor false flag story or is it more of a joke?

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 4, 2022

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

mawarannahr posted:

Does anyone buy this crisis-actor false flag story or has everyone agreed it’s a joke?

A month or so ago Russia claimed LDNR authorities managed to prevent a Western plot that involved chemical weapons. And yesterday Belarus claimed to have downed a Ukrainian drone flying over a military base. So... who the hell knows at this point.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

It was Shoigu himself who announced it, I don't remember if anything ever came of it though

https://twitter.com/SputnikInt/status/1473247282946625536

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Flavahbeast posted:

It was Shoigu himself who announced it, I don't remember if anything ever came of it though

"You can't use chemical weapons, that's our schtick!" -Russia.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Flavahbeast posted:

Obviously not. Who would carry on with a plan that was already uncovered?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

So while the US record obviously isn't entirely clean on false flag poo poo, I do trust the US more than I trust Russia on that sort of thing, regardless of how I feel about US foreign policy in this specific instance. Psaki going straight to 'oh, so you believe Russian propaganda then???' when anybody pushes back at all on asking for evidence or even questioning administration policy is grating as gently caress though.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Sinteres posted:

So while the US record obviously isn't entirely clean on false flag poo poo, I do trust the US more than I trust Russia on that sort of thing, regardless of how I feel about US foreign policy in this specific instance. Psaki going straight to 'oh, so you believe Russian propaganda then???' when anybody pushes back at all on asking for evidence or even questioning administration policy is grating as gently caress though.

They did the exact same thing again today when someone asked about the kids that got killed in the latest special forces raid "oh so you believe ISIS huh!"

Really pathetic

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Sinteres posted:

Why? Does the US have a better track record?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Highly relevant to this thread’s interests, check the third picture

https://twitter.com/_restaurant_bot/status/1489462504396922881?s=21

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

selec posted:

I've seen enough.

The ottomans deserve stewardship of the Balkans and Poland.

Sch
Nov 17, 2005

bla bla blaufos!bla bla blaconspiracies!bla bla bla
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1489336004637044746?s=21

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

That's too simplistic for me. Nobody said they had already produced the video, just that they were planning to. Wars have been started under pretexts, and Russia runs a lot of disinformation campaigns. The whole "security interests" bullshit is disinformation and a pretext.

I'm not reading this as something that the US government is expecting everyone in the general public to believe, but more as a signal to Russia that they know what Russia is planning and will make it public.

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Feb 4, 2022

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

Why? Does the US have a better track record?

Yeah, the US lies but Russia takes it to another level and never admits fault, throwing out wild conspiracy theory poo poo to deflect criticism even in the face of evidence, while the US will admit blame at least some of the time. I don't think it's something inherent to Russians or anything, just that it's easier to never drop the propaganda when you don't allow independent journalists to freely operate in your country, and don't have a meaningful opposition, and US administrations would lie more if they could get away with it.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Feb 4, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The US media landscape is... suboptimal but journalists who don't parrot whatever line the US government requires them to do not routinely jump from high windows or get fished out of rivers. It's just not the same same thing.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Alchenar posted:

The US media landscape is... suboptimal but journalists who don't parrot whatever line the US government requires them to do not routinely jump from high windows or get fished out of rivers. It's just not the same same thing.

Or assassinated in the streets (near the Kremlin), or assassinated in front of their apartment or poisoned or etc, etc

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Conspiratiorist posted:

I mean, point out where I was wrong.

I'll try if I have an idea what are you actually arguing for aside from NATO disbanding

Should NATO help Ukraine more? I think so
Is promising to send NATO troops to defend Ukraine politically impossible? Yes
Did the NATO countries promise sanctions? Yes and the threat of them alone crashed the ruble 10% spooking the economy

The third action is very important because Putin is very familiar with the images of Gaddafi being dug out from under the ground and getting sodomized with a pole, and he understands that a combination of turning Ukrainian cities to resemble Syrian bombed out buildings, 10000s of casualties and an economic crash in addition to that is how you get mobs coming for you

Sch
Nov 17, 2005

bla bla blaufos!bla bla blaconspiracies!bla bla bla

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

That's too simplistic for me. Nobody said they had already produced the video, just that they were planning to. Wars have been started under pretexts, and Russia runs a lot of disinformation campaigns. The whole "security interests" bullshit is disinformation and a pretext.

I’m sure the intelligence is sound, it’s just the smugness with which they announce it that I find hilarious/grating (see also Psaki’s recent statements that were mentioned earlier).

I'm not reading this as something that the US government is expecting everyone in the general public to believe, but more as a signal to Russia that they know what Russia is planning and will make it public.

Yeah. Not that it will matter in the slightest though.

https://twitter.com/pwnallthethings/status/1489372406640697357?s=21

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

mc.schroeder posted:

I’m sure the intelligence is sound, it’s just the smugness with which they announce it that I find hilarious/grating (see also Psaki’s recent statements that were mentioned earlier).

I agree that this butthurt reaction wasn't optimal, even though the journalist probably thought he was hot poo poo asking supersmart questions when he wasn't.

I hadn't read those tweets, interesting how similar they are to what I'm thinking.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

I agree that this butthurt reaction wasn't optimal, even though the journalist probably thought he was hot poo poo asking supersmart questions when he wasn't.

what? he was clearly asking insanely stupid questions that should have been very easy to answer. and yet!

e: this is even dumber than saddam has wmd bullshit lmfao. oh no, russia has a video! :laffo::laffo:

Truga fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 4, 2022

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
tbh, Russian media fabricated lot of propaganda bullshit (e.g., crucified boy from Sloviansk), so if someone told me they're going to make another bullshit video for propaganda purposes, my response is :nallears: "how is this news"

on the other hand, yeah, they could provide evidence of their claim if they wanted to be believed, but I guess if the goal was to actually stop that alleged fake video, Russians releasing it now would only confirm false flag claim and wouldn't work well as a pretext

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Feb 4, 2022

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Truga posted:

oh no, russia has a video!

Reading/listening comprehension: It was discussed that Russia would make such a video, not have it. It's not always easy to reply to stupid questions in a way that satisfies the person asking them. There's no gotcha in that.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Release the Trump piss tape, Putin!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Can we please see the video or have them publish it before making up our minds about it?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

selec posted:

I don’t think its breaded and as long as its cheese on top and not more cream, I’ll allow it, though I would seriously question the paprika.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Unidentified cutlet covered in congealed rubbery cheese, lovely frozen supermarket fries, salad that's mostly water... Under no circumstances you gotta "allow it"

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

At first I thoght the salad was the remains of kholodnik cold soup but all I see is cucumber so, probably not

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

The Winter Olympics are starting up. Maybe it will be like the Sochi games where Russia will use it as a distraction to escalate armed conflict in Ukraine.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Sekenr posted:

At first I thoght the salad was the remains of kholodnik cold soup but all I see is cucumber so, probably not

The salad is mizeria - light cream and fresh cucumber slices, with a dash of sugar.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mizeria

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJhJ6hks0Jg
Has there ever been any developments on this? I see this used by conspirators on both sides of the issue.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mokotow posted:

The salad is mizeria - light cream and fresh cucumber slices, with a dash of sugar.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mizeria

The name is right, it looks miserable.

khwarezm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJhJ6hks0Jg
Has there ever been any developments on this? I see this used by conspirators on both sides of the issue.

The investigation is still ongoing and is shrouded with torrents of rumours and outright fabrications.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Mizeria is loving delicious, I will not hear this slander

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Strangely enough mizeria seems to be of italian origin - insalate della miseria - so it’s quiet likely we got it from Bona di Sforza along with, you know, the rest of non-potato vegetables.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Stoltenberg is leaving NATO chair in September. Apparently, some of the prime candidates for NATO Secretary-General post are Kersti Kaljulaid and Dalia Grybauskaitė.

:staredog: Imagine Russian moaning if Grybauskaitė is the next NATO chief.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
https://theins.ru/news/248363

Peskov: blood feuds are a part of Chechen tradition even though it doesn't correlate with the laws of Russia

Lmao, so before Kadyrov was lightly rebuffed for calling for war with Ukraine by Peskov saying that "actually Putin is the president and that's just Kadyrov's opinion" and the third Chechen war did not start

For the blood feud humans rights issues apparently he's getting a blank check to kidnap and torture people, threaten people calling it out and have people call for murder from highly-positioned members of the government (including a Chechen senator)

So the Afghanistan comparison is fairly accurate except that it's an integral part of Russia, not a warzone for the past 15 years and the republics around are peaceful and don't have ISIS-like ways to solve things

When that republic explodes it's going to be very ugly

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
those are some mental gymnastics when they don't want to admit that Chechnya and Kadyrov are basically not bound by federal laws

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

the response to the reporter is absurd. if you are going in front of the press to make an outstanding claim about what Russia has done or is planning to do, you need to have something that is going to substantiate it.

i realize the intelligence community doesn’t want to reveal “their methods” but you cannot open yourself up to questions and not expect to get asked more details. asking government officials to back up their statements is not repeating the propaganda of America’s adversaries or whatever the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1489369384300785667?s=20&t=ozl_viHlgnMwJKTJRQUa7Q

I could see why Russia really isn't interested in having Turkey mediate anything considering they're sending arms to Ukraine (and opposing them in no less than three other conflicts).

It's kinda funny to me though that Erdogan is trying to play the role of a regional power here and two other countries in the region are just like "nah we good"