Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

So now they don't get their rapey striker but they ALSO don't get their sponsor or women's team.

At that point they might as well have owned it for all the good this will do for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Dudley posted:

So now they don't get their rapey striker but they ALSO don't get their sponsor or women's team.

At that point they might as well have owned it for all the good this will do for them.

No, doubling down and pressing ahead anyway was not the strategy to take regardless of what happened. The only winning move was for them to not attempt it in the first place.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

eh, people would have moved on to something else within a couple of weeks

I'm not sure that paying off his contract now is going to get any of the people who've left to come back

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I'm not sure that paying off his contract now is going to get any of the people who've left to come back

Tbf theres gently caress all to do in Kirkcaldy, the fans will be back.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

CyberPingu posted:

Tbf theres gently caress all to do in Kirkcaldy, the fans will be back.

let's not be unfair

you can do heroin and yell at the sea

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

A lot of people who would otherwise have stayed away or supported the women instead will continue going to games if the rapist isn't actually in the squad.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

let's not be unfair

you can do heroin and yell at the sea

Not much heroin in Kirkcaldy, need to go up the road to Glenrothes for that.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
At his best, how good was Goodwillie? If "footballing reasons" justify risking the very obvious PR risks, I'm thinking the guy had to have been like a striker with a 2 goals per game average or something exceptional like that.

Because if you went through this for some bog standard journeyman, that's even more despicable.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
He scored a lot of goals (more like .65 per game than 2) for Clyde, but they're in a lower division and I wouldn't expect him to replicate that form with a championship team. Interesting to see if Clyde will take him back.

I remember thinking he was pretty average when he played for Aberdeen back in 2015.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

from what I've seen from some shortbready sources, they've given him a contract of £1,150/wk until 2024, and they're not going to be able to pay that as a lump sum so he's going to end up getting paid to not play football for two-and-a-half years

it's also suggested that this is silly money for the Scottish Championship, in which case jesus christ - I've worked with teams in the Conference North (sixth tier) who pay their top players double that. I knew that Scottish football was Some Fail, but I didn't think that second-tier sides could easily get outbid by teams who've never played in the EFL

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

from what I've seen from some shortbready sources, they've given him a contract of £1,150/wk until 2024, and they're not going to be able to pay that as a lump sum so he's going to end up getting paid to not play football for two-and-a-half years

it's also suggested that this is silly money for the Scottish Championship, in which case jesus christ - I've worked with teams in the Conference North (sixth tier) who pay their top players double that. I knew that Scottish football was Some Fail, but I didn't think that second-tier sides could easily get outbid by teams who've never played in the EFL

Rangers top paid player is on £30k pw. Most of their players are on <£10k pw

There's very little money (relatively) in Scottish football.

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 4, 2022

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

Ah the Rangers tax defence

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

CyberPingu posted:

Rangers top paid player is on £30k pw. Most of their players are on <£10k pw

I think it's more a matter of how completely distorted wages are in England, Spain, Italy and at the CL clubs in France and Germany. You know that player - every team has one - who comes off the bench maybe once in five games and everyone goes "Ah gently caress, what's the point of bringing him on?"? He's on more money than any player outside of that circle. There are players in the youth squads of EPL teams who are known only as "Oh yeah, he's meant to be a good prospect" on >10k a week (West Ham fans were shrieking when they found out Reece Oxford was on "only" 10k when he made his (admittedly impressive) debut).

This is all probably fine and not causing any problems anywhere and definitely not leading to the eventual death of the game.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Ah the Rangers tax defence

Poor old Rangers, they're dead now

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

vyelkin posted:

Poor old Rangers, they're dead now

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
Dear Google,

I admit I searched for Raith Rovers once while reading up on this scandal, but that doesn't mean I need score updates for the team on my phone.

Thanks,
Jethro

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/GMPstretford/status/1489875196249055232

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
take care of your kids a5h ffs!

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Only a matter of time before Pissflaps came to the attention of local authorities

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

whatever happened to pissflaps

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

jesus WEP posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3902758&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

jesus WEP posted:

Was too big of a oval office even for the SA forums

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Weaponized Cum posted:

Was too big of a oval office even for the SA forums

Honestly I found the way people would fall over themselves to tell him to gently caress off way more annoying than the man himself.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

that thread is cringe af but i guess it’s good he got permaed

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Honestly I found the way people would fall over themselves to tell him to gently caress off way more annoying than the man himself.

He's also a massive transphobic arsehole

Or to put it another way

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i remember him making funny posts right here in trp

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

That was before they banned funny posts on the forums.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
he seemed like a relatively funny troll in trp, to me, a normal person unaware of d&d

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Pissflaps was a land of contrasts

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001

CyberPingu posted:

He's also a massive transphobic arsehole

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

jesus WEP posted:

He was an engaging, high impact poster with a lot to offer.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

blue footed boobie posted:

He was an engaging, high impact poster with a lot to offer.

Pissflaps_Brand_Values.pptx

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

webmeister posted:

Pissflaps_Brand_Values.pptx

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Pissflaps used to DM me on twitter demanding to know why I wasn't defending his honour in DnD

Unlike his tiny bin, he became unhinged by trans people and Jeremy Corbyn in the end.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Regarding the Raith Rovers situation:

Are the sponsors that left over them signing the rapist coming back? Is the womens team coming back, or are they still pursuing playing under a different club name? Is the director that tried to stop them from signing a rapist who resigned, is he coming back? And all questions of this nature

Also, so they signed a rapist, when people arked up they defended signing the rapist, waited a bit and then apologized for signing the rapist? Have they even apologized, or have they just said he is not with the club anymore. This seems to me to be just staggering incompetence at all levels, and at all stages of the process.

Coz, as has been said, just not playing the rapist is not good enough. The damage to the club, the clubs reputation, and indeed the clubs finances and staff has already been done. And, (as also has already been said), was the rapist that good a footballer to justify this in the first place? Coz, lets not forget, signing a known rapist is bad enough as it is, but the club then publicly defended signing said rapist against the rightfully angry groups of supporters/womens team captain/club directors etc.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Sponsors won't come back and neither will the women's team from what I've heard

I'm going to my wife's cousins birthday today and all her cousins are lifelong Raith fans so I'll get all the gossip there

They did come out and "apologise" for signing him. He's still under contract and it's likely going to cost them too much to sever the contract so he might just end up getting paid but won't play.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I know him IRL and he's an absolute cockwomble

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Pissflaps used to DM me on twitter demanding to know why I wasn't defending his honour in DnD

Unlike his tiny bin, he became unhinged by trans people and Jeremy Corbyn in the end.

if you think thats bad, theres an active mod here who uses the probation hammer as his own personal reddit downvote. especially if you say something naughty about his beloved uniteds of manchester

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Ackshully he's an IK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/fabrizioromano/status/1490457410917572609?s=21