Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Time_pants posted:

I was actually thinking the other day about how it's weird that "nailed it" and "screwed up" mean different things considering the similarity of the items involved, but straight up, this is actually some stone cold linguistic truth I had never thought about and now is just going to randomly pop into my head every 4-6 months for the rest of my life.

Next time somebody tells you to grow some balls or have bigger balls or don't be a pussy or something, remember it! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gravity_Storm posted:

They have done gently caress. all. Wasnt it about 7 years ago we first saw deck crew animations?? They are still working on this!

Argh snipe!

https://i.imgur.com/s6ZMFCV.mp4

I mean, a cat can have a little eggplant, let em alone.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Housing market in South Florida is insane. Like I could by a couple of idreses for the price of a condo.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dwesa posted:

'making GBS threads on other games to feel better about your vapoware' never fails to appease backers. I wonder why they never compare with e.g. X4 or NMS, games that were notably improved after previous failures. sure, CIG releases a lot of noise that pretends to be information about development, Hello Games usually just releases some emoji on twitter and that's it when it comes to information about upcoming update and people are not whining about transparency, because other devs develop and release games and expansions instead of noise

they WANT to hear everything is fine so they can keep buying JPGs without any guilt

X4 has everything star citizen wants to have already, including talking to NPCs, walking around your ships, handing the micro and macro, full working economy... etc etc. you can also mod it, and you only buy it once (unless you also want the dlc they put out regularly too)

From a studio not even near the size of cig at not even a fraction of the time it's taken so to continue to fail.

You probably need to be careful who you choose to compare yourself too. ED is a safe bet because it's pretty boring despite being a technological wonder for how old it is at this point. The modules they put out are meh at best.

I don't think anybody can look at sc and X4 and say sc is better, other than it has graphics that make the game turn into a slideshow whereas X4 generally chugs along pretty well for the most part, while simulating all the movers and shakers in their universe AI. It has the euro-jankiness to it, but it works and does what it's supposed to do and is a much better experience.

X4 is what sc hopes to become... maybe in 20 more years they'll get there.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I am one of the few who actually liked NMS when it released because I never paid attention to the sizzle reels and promises that didn't make it in.

It was pretty, interesting and had a cool game loop.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
OK which one of you made the CRoberts space dozer, it's so fantastic https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...web2x&context=3

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Lladre posted:

I am one of the few who actually liked NMS when it released because I never paid attention to the sizzle reels and promises that didn't make it in.

It was pretty, interesting and had a cool game loop.

My favorite part of that game is the first 30 minutes, where you're dumped in a hostile environment and have that pressure on you to stay alive long enough to fix a ship and escape. After that I always bounce off it. I did play long enough to get to the center or whatever you did, misplaced all my bases, had a bunch of ships I never used, had a carrier or whatever, got a bunch of money I never spent, all that poo poo. I really liked that opening though, I'd play a game that was just that.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Scruffpuff posted:

My favorite part of that game is the first 30 minutes, where you're dumped in a hostile environment and have that pressure on you to stay alive long enough to fix a ship and escape. After that I always bounce off it. I did play long enough to get to the center or whatever you did, misplaced all my bases, had a bunch of ships I never used, had a carrier or whatever, got a bunch of money I never spent, all that poo poo. I really liked that opening though, I'd play a game that was just that.

Try Subnautica.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

The Titanic posted:

X4 has everything star citizen wants to have already...

X4 is what sc hopes to become... maybe in 20 more years they'll get there.

i hate that i disagree with you
X4 is, unlike SC, a game you can actually play and have fun in. it's way deeper than SC, has more content etc. but it's not at all like SC.
SC wants to be 3 games: an FPS shooter, a spaceship game, and an open-world AAA 2010s/2020s game (think The Ubisoft Formula, or any AAA game in the last 10 years or so, open world games with lots of different filler stuff you can do)
X is more like a cRPG, and SC can't even dream of doing that. SC has way more low level detail/interactivity than X4. X4 ships are just bland models you get inside of and fly around. you can't ~press buttons~ and stuff in X4 ships, stuff that's essential for The Best drat Space Sim Ever, obviously.
that said if Ego had 500 million to burn on a X game, i'm sure that they could get pretty close to SC, but it'd never be the same level of detail (and feature creep)

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Tippis posted:

Yes! Barbarian (1) was the first moral outrage game I came across and it was great. :D

Is that a reference to the free "Maria Whittaker in a Metal Bikini" poster in every box ;)

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Try Subnautica.

Yeah I already finished both of those. I understand there's a crazy new space game that's in perpetual pre-alpha but also is better than a dozen AAAA games, and it leans heavily into survival mechanics in a fidelitious way, for example, you can spontaneously die of hemorrhoids while waiting for a train.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Gravity_Storm posted:

Within a week they will throw the dude who posted the message under the bus and promise a new improved roadmap. To celebrate, there will be a special sale with 2 new ships, the Banu Merchantman Stealth Edition and the Javelin Plus.

And like drug addicts who just want that last fix, the backers will buy them.

I always have appreciation for how cig can quell angry people over lack of progress for gameplay and anger about selling stuff with a well placed Chris post and immediate followed by another purchase opportunity. :allears:

It's like nobody realizes none of the reasons they were angry were resolved, and one of those actions is usually exactly why they were angry in the first place.

This addiction to blowing money is super powerful. I love me some Amazon... but I wouldn't just be spending money on Amazon to not get something in return. That whole "get what I paid for" bit is kind of important.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Beet does that mean we can come back from Ecuador now?

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

El Grillo posted:

OK which one of you made the CRoberts space dozer, it's so fantastic https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...web2x&context=3

Pretty good. This showed up in related for me and gave me a good chuckle too. (coffee related)
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/sjs0qd/me_in_317/

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
Also this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eETJMudFYgU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

I always have appreciation for how cig can quell angry people...

To be fair CIG does poo poo all about it, it's their own customers who do all the work. It's always the same story: There is some large outrage, lots of backers come out to say they are done and then, a couple of days -when things are a bit more quiet- the shills come back in full force to explain why it's the backers fault for being idiots who don't understand game development.

It happens twice a year or so.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

monkeytek posted:

Beet does that mean we can come back from Ecuador now?

Yeah I think the investigation is closed now, at least for a while.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Still 5 pages back, but this new CIG announcement has really rekindled my faith in the whole project.

Definitely one of the best self-owns from Cribblets & Co, for a good while.

Thread good again. Where MoMA?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
BTW, now that there is a sale there are all sorts of "the more you cry the more I'll pledge"" posts, as usual.

As well as other kinds of reactions to sales

A sale going on? That reminds me of really big bazoongas!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

marumaru posted:

i hate that i disagree with you
X4 is, unlike SC, a game you can actually play and have fun in. it's way deeper than SC, has more content etc. but it's not at all like SC.
SC wants to be 3 games: an FPS shooter, a spaceship game, and an open-world AAA 2010s/2020s game (think The Ubisoft Formula, or any AAA game in the last 10 years or so, open world games with lots of different filler stuff you can do)
X is more like a cRPG, and SC can't even dream of doing that. SC has way more low level detail/interactivity than X4. X4 ships are just bland models you get inside of and fly around. you can't ~press buttons~ and stuff in X4 ships, stuff that's essential for The Best drat Space Sim Ever, obviously.
that said if Ego had 500 million to burn on a X game, i'm sure that they could get pretty close to SC, but it'd never be the same level of detail (and feature creep)

You can always disagree with me. I'm fine with it! :)

And you are correct! I am boiling SC down to only one of the singular things it wants to do, but I always need to remember that it wants to be everything except like a turn based strategy game, a visual novel, or a hentai game. Everything else is totally definitely going to be in the game.

And of course, Egosoft doesn't have a fraction of the money and resources cig has, so your results will vary. That eurojank kicking into overdrive. :)

I'd be curious though what Egosoft could do if they had that kind of funding though.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

That guy must be like 60.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

trucutru posted:

BTW, now that there is a sale there are all sorts of "the more you cry the more I'll pledge"" posts, as usual.

What the gently caress is this idiot talking about what does bad boobjobs have to do with spaceship jpegs

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

FishMcCool posted:

The Sims (2000), or I guess Ultima VII (1994) have implemented bar/inn staff dynamically reacting to conditions, but then they 1) knew what their game what about and 2) didn't have CR running the show so it's probably an unfair comparison.

I'm pretty sure I recall Ultima 6 having schedules as well. One of the Easter eggs actually involves being able to kill Lord British in his sleep with a glass sword.

https://youtu.be/B92kSzaRPEs

We're talking like, 1990 here. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

redwalrus posted:

"You might end up somewhere where there is nothing, there are no people, there is nothing on the planet, and you'll need fuel."
Why. Why would anyone go somewhere there is nothing. Why. After one person goes there once and says, there is nothing here, nobody will ever go there again, because there is nothing there. Why would anyone visit nothing. Why.

Uhhh screenshots?

Hello, did you forget the one paramount feature of star citizen?

You go and find some generated landscape, wait for sunset/sunrise, capture it and post to people how you love drinking your morning coffee to the visuals while planning your next big route and it is the best game ever.

This is like one of the core features.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DaysBefore posted:

What the gently caress is this idiot talking about what does bad boobjobs have to do with spaceship jpegs

I'm fluent in weirdo. What he's saying is that he finds hilarious how while people are supposed to be angry with CIG they are still buying more ships, because there is a sale going on.

Just like how them women were angry about big fake boobs but then the doctor was like "Oh yeah? big boobs for SALE" and they all got the most gargantuan boobs they could fit. Which is a thing that happened.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 4, 2022

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

DaysBefore posted:

Massive letdowns

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

Massive letdowns

:five:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

The Titanic posted:

I'm pretty sure I recall Ultima 6 having schedules as well. One of the Easter eggs actually involves being able to kill Lord British in his sleep with a glass sword.

https://youtu.be/B92kSzaRPEs

We're talking like, 1990 here. :)

Ultima V had NPCs on schedules, as well (and Chris worked on that one). Every single NPC did their own things during the day and night, whether it was sleeping, having secret meetings or whatever.

And that was 1988. Sure, maybe they didn't have the amazing AI and full life simulations that Tony Z helped the backers to imagine, but neither do the NPCs in SC.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

I miss all the spite pledges. :)

Glad they still happen.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DaysBefore posted:

:lol:

I just read the message. Guess I should have done that first. It's crazy and sexist which I guess is par for the course when it comes to cig.

This guy is probably part of the inner dickwulf sanctum. :rolleyes:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dementropy posted:

Ultima V had NPCs on schedules, as well (and Chris worked on that one). Every single NPC did their own things during the day and night, whether it was sleeping, having secret meetings or whatever.

And that was 1988. Sure, maybe they didn't have the amazing AI and full life simulations that Tony Z helped the backers to imagine, but neither do the NPCs in SC.

Good to know! I skipped that one. I went from 4 being the first I played, to 6. I tried to get into 5 after playing 6 but the graphics kept me from enjoying it because I really liked 6's looks. :)

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

DaysBefore posted:

Well, I presume that for the author, both boobs and spaceships come in JPG format and are the subject of much dreams.txt.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Scruffpuff posted:

Does anyone have the dreams.txt of the backer who doesn't want to partake in the game, nor does he want to be the guy sending automated drones to mine asteroids, nor does he want to be the guy who pilots the newsvan which for some reason is recording and broadcasting live reporting on the automated drones that are mining asteroids - his ultimate dream is to log onto the game and stand in a station looking at a monitor that is receiving the broadcast from the newsvan which is covering the automated drones mining the asteroid?

Because I feel that post might refresh some memories of what kind of person is funding this shitshow.

Watching NPC's work posted:

When I was a kid and even sometimes now as an adult I love watching construction or big vehicles working on say building a highway or drilling for ore. I'm not sure how detailed they lives of NPCs will be but I'm hoping one day you can fly around an asteroid and find an NPC orion digging. Being able to watch it mine until it's full and maybe even follow it back to its base to deposit the ore I think would be amazing.

Even better if you could get footage of this with the news van to turn in for missions or for yourself or others to cut into 'in game programming.'

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

DaysBefore posted:

This is the man-child paradox. Everything relates back to bizarre demeaning female comments.

He's probably beating his meat like it owes him money, thinking about those large fake boobies in space every time a globular object flies by.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/1489284108589015040
https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/1489658348572069889

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

having X amount of “released” games is important in game dev, no?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

This is exactly what they are salivating after, yes.

And so many more things you wouldn't even think of

BTW, get ready to hear this name more often

my jaw dropped when reading that and i took a moment, then lol'ed

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Trillhouse posted:

having X amount of “released” games is important in game dev, no?

Yup releases are vital, it is vitally important that chris does not release the game so the nerd bucks keep flowing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Every time I see that guys avatar makes me chuckle.
For all the money he's shoveled into his dream he didn't spend five bucks for a better avatar.