Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah I do that too but it seems a little annoying for one-offs. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Did you know you can shift right click an assembler and then shift left click the requester chest and it requests the recipe? It requests an amount based on some time producing the recipe, I forget exactly, so if you only want one you need to watch it.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
LOL yessss that's exactly what I was hoping for, thank you!

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

necrotic posted:

Did you know you can shift right click an assembler and then shift left click the requester chest and it requests the recipe? It requests an amount based on some time producing the recipe, I forget exactly, so if you only want one you need to watch it.

gently caress that is incredibly useful and not even a little bit surprising given Factorio's incredible level of dedication to user experience.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
It’s a great feature that needs to be telegraphed better.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The feature is in the tips under the copy-paste category but I think when playing you only get a popup for doing it to copy and paste assembler settings. But if you dig in it describes copy and paste features for train orders, inserters, splitters, and logistic chests.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

There's also mods that can adjust it even more: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/additional-paste-settings

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Speaking of QoL mods, does anyone know of one that will let you keep hotbar shortcuts between games? Second thing I do on a new save (while waiting for some iron to mine/smelt) is set up the shortcuts, but this is still a minute or two I could be spending chopping trees or doing literally anything else.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

xzzy posted:

The feature is in the tips under the copy-paste category but I think when playing you only get a popup for doing it to copy and paste assembler settings. But if you dig in it describes copy and paste features for train orders, inserters, splitters, and logistic chests.

Next Factorio update should be mandatory tips where they tell you all about all the quality-of-life features they've received requests for THAT ARE ALREADY INPLEMENTED in the game.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

necrotic posted:

You can what.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

power crystals posted:

I agree, honestly. Py is too complicated for me to care but angel/bob's is just right imo. Though Angel's compound ore sorting kinda sucks.

At least, once you cram in a bunch of other mods too. If you have less than a hundred mods loaded don't talk to me. Angel, Bob, Yuoki, 248k, cargo ships, omnimatter, AAI vehicles (but not AAI industry that sucks rear end), and a bunch of smaller stuff. Having like five ways to do anything and having to figure out which combination of mods does it best is a great metagame.

I decided I wanted to do a beltless run because I am a madman (but I cheated in a bunch of logistics robots etc. because I'm not a masochist) and I'm finally at a point where I can start caring about 248k and try to get to white holes:

What in the unholy blue gently caress.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This must be a rampant ai thing because I've never had expansions set up so close to my defenses but hey, if you wanna fling yourself against my flamethrowers you go right ahead dudes. I got lots of oil.

(I had to clear them out because the endless yellow triangle alerts gets on my nerves after a while)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't think it's rampant I've had it happen before in vanilla.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

xzzy posted:

This must be a rampant ai thing because I've never had expansions set up so close to my defenses but hey, if you wanna fling yourself against my flamethrowers you go right ahead dudes. I got lots of oil.
<snip>

KillHour posted:

I don't think it's rampant I've had it happen before in vanilla.

Biter bases will try and expand into a spot between 3-7 chunks away from existing bases, so over time expansion parties will eventually colonize spots that are very close to (but still out of range of) your defenses.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Teledahn posted:

Next Factorio update should be mandatory tips where they tell you all about all the quality-of-life features they've received requests for THAT ARE ALREADY INPLEMENTED in the game.

Microsoft already had and solved this problem with the Office suite. Now introducing: Factorio 1.2 featuring The Ribbon Interface!

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Arrath posted:

What in the unholy blue gently caress.

What, the base or the mods? The base is just because I could, the mods are because I love finding weird interactions between stuff.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

power crystals posted:

What, the base or the mods? The base is just because I could, the mods are because I love finding weird interactions between stuff.

Oh just the base in general, it's near inscrutable. I now know what it feels like when a sane person looks at dwarf fortress.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Arrath posted:

Oh just the base in general, it's near inscrutable. I now know what it feels like when a sane person looks at dwarf fortress.

You think that's bad. You know the background image for Factorio? That's literally one of the dev's bases. He's actively against busses and just shoves poo poo in wherever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Alkydere posted:

You think that's bad. You know the background image for Factorio? That's literally one of the dev's bases. He's actively against busses and just shoves poo poo in wherever.

The game definitely looks cooler when played that way, but it's impossible to scale any production. I usually plop poo poo and go full spaghetti for the yellow belt phase and admire the chaos, but once I start generating blue science it's time to tear it all up and lay out some structure.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

SynthesisAlpha posted:

gently caress that is incredibly useful and not even a little bit surprising given Factorio's incredible level of dedication to user experience.

holy gently caress i wish i knew that before i finished my last game. That would be SUPER useful

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Embrace the spaghetti.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Arrath posted:

To be fair I was explicitly trying to make something like that. Trying to handle processes with overflow has been, uh, exciting. I'm never doing angel's ore sorting again.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

xzzy posted:

The game definitely looks cooler when played that way, but it's impossible to scale any production. I usually plop poo poo and go full spaghetti for the yellow belt phase and admire the chaos, but once I start generating blue science it's time to tear it all up and lay out some structure.

It’s impossible with that kind of attitude anyway!

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
After half a dozen restarts and 368 hours I launched my first rocket. :toot: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2730739638
OverHead Map https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2730739585

I was aiming for 60 science per minute but I was closer to 40. I ran out of effort on finishing the belts of steel. I never really "needed" more so I never expanded the smelting. I never used red or blue belts or moved past stone furnaces. I never got into robots really. I only started moving yellow science with them at the end because the belt was so long but that was just for fun. I never needed to do anything and this is where Factorio feels more like a piece of software than a game to me. I wish there was more game to the game parts if that makes any sense.

My biggest gripe might be how the tech tree is structured. I don't know how I'd rework it exactly but whatever. I had fun and I might go back for a completely vanilla playthrough for the steam achievements. Some of the mods feel like must haves though. Long reach and Bulldozer in particular should have been red and green tech unlocks easily.

Anyway a big thank you for the tips from everyone in the thread.

E: The Spidertron is cool as gently caress.

FalloutGod fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jan 26, 2022

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Still working on my new city block system, haven't done a lot of the actual production blocks yet because I'm using randomized recipes in this game and that would throw off the ratios. Once I get all the basics together I'll start a new game (one with less water, certainly, I've used up 4 entire 10m+ stone patches just landfilling on this map) and work on those.

The basic grid is 128x128, with 8 roboports slightly overlapping but touching exactly between blocks, and the center is out of logistics range but that just means more room for building (it's all within construction range).

I currently have blueprints for just the basic block with stone brick, one with roboports, and a refined concrete overlay that you can plop down to upgrade blocks in the late game. At some point I also want to make landfill blueprints for a) a full block, b) only the outer ring of power/pathways, and c) every tile needed to place the roboport one.

The base just before getting rockets going:

You can see the main bus in the 2nd column of blocks, mashed in there with all the production. Smelting is all in the first column. Eventually I want to use a full block for the main bus but that will have to come when I start a new map.

The nice thing about going to this size grid is that I managed to put together a solar blueprint with perfect ratio and exactly 1,000 solar panels (60MW).

There will also be variants with train lines (straight, T, 90 degree curve) running through the solar fields so you can make use of the big empty space between ore patches. It's symmetric through 180 degrees of rotation but not 90 degrees, so I might have to make two variants of the rail blueprints if you want to keep all your solar fields oriented the same direction.

Mid-endgame (mining prod 15, bot speed 11) base:

Starting to move production outside the main base area, with those smelters on the left.

Blueprints left to do when I start a new map:
-Early game mall/science (up through blue/military) @ 2/second (should be able to fit all this in one block)
-Oil processing blocks in stages (basic, advanced, advanced+modules/beacons)
-Better train stations (had to backwards-engineer the ones I started with to fit the roboport pattern in)
-Rail+solar blocks as mentioned
-Other power blocks (basic steam, small->big nuclear) - I think I can fit a 2x2 480mw reactor in one block
-Fix the basic stone/steel furnace smelting blocks so they fit in with the roboports
-Defensive walls you can punch a train through to expand

After getting all those nicely put together I want to start on endgame blocks, including:
-Beaconed smelting, including options for iron ore->steel or plates->steel depending on how you want to do it
-Modular multi-block oil products (basically one for the refinery that would be able to connect on any side to other blocks that would include oil products including batteries, acid, plastics, rocket fuel)
-Multi-block chip setup (thinking iron + copper in one side, acid + plastics in the other, and outputs for all 3 chips out the other sides)
-Various production blocks for endgame science (1200/minute at minimum, more if I can fit it in)
-Artillery

One issue is with the blocks set up the way they are, I can only realistically put two train stations on any one open side of a block, which means dedicating 2 blocks to stations at minimum for anything that is more than one input/one output. This is only a problem if you let it bother you, and I plan on this being the intended use with the way some of the production blocks will be set up.

These blocks are actually pretty massive when you start needing a lot of them (and taking the requisite space from the unhappy residents) and so the ratio of trains to production is going to be pretty high. The stations are big enough to support 2-8 trains in the future, which should help with throughput, but I think the production blocks are going to end up being mostly empty space in the end.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
New friday blog post goes over the process for the expansion a little.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

An expansion with the same size and scope as the vanilla game? Seems highly ambitious. I wonder what direction they are taking the design space.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I wonder if there's going to be a new endgoal for an expansion game, or if it's the same space launch thing. There are some obvious unexplored areas if you just consider the base game and none of the millions of mods out there that they could flesh out:

* Biters are only ever somewhere between a nuisance you need to defend against and a minor obstacle to base expansion. An "alien biotech" tree would be more of a reason to interact with them.
* Water is in this weird spot where you need a tiny puddle of it somewhere for your steam engines, but then it's just kind of there until you start needing it for petroleum products. More resources derived from water, water vehicles (perhaps a hovercraft?) etc. has a decent amount of design space. Offshore oil deposits, wind farms, maybe even some kind of hydropower?
* Trains are really fun and good, but you unlock all their potential almost immediately upon researching the relevant techs, and then they don't really get much more advanced after that. (I personally find artillery wagons kind of pointless.) A more gradual slope or just more options for cool later train stuff to do would be fun.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like trains are kind of hard to iterate on - like what sort of extra functionality could they give you or hold back, without making them too awkward out of the gate?

Now I almost want a "trains but worse" mod that makes it so after a certain point of progress, you cannot build or repair existing train infrastructure, but are forced into using flashy new alternatives. Like mini trains that travel in dedicated underground passages, but they can only carry one stack at a time.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Single-cart "trains" with integrated engines would be logical first step, I feel, rather than going immediately to locomotives pulling several carts behind them. Automation still needs to be early though, there's no point without it. It could serve as that first stepping stone when you need to go beyond your starting location to find oil or uranium and you're in that awkward spot where building a train line is kind of overkill but you also don't want a giant pipeline/belt just for that. A kind of medium-range light rail, if you will. Hell, separate rail into light and heavy, even, and only allow locomotives to drive on heavy rail. Make locomotives require solid fuel or better to run, while the light rail variant can run on wood and coal.

Easier circuit network integration would be nice too, though that's not really an expansion thing.

Also, I would love it if you could build some kind of early-game version of construction robots, like you have in e.g. Industrial Revolution, if for no other reason so that you can copy-paste stuff. Let me build a little robot buddy that follows me around and slowly builds stuff.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 4, 2022

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Chakan posted:

New friday blog post goes over the process for the expansion a little.

Looking at the concept art I guess we polluted the planet so much that we woke up something sleeping in the depths of the oceans and now it is coming for us... Wube presents Factorio: Terror from the Deep :v:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I always hoped we'll see a medieval/fantasy factorio. We're already evil scientific invaders as-is who brutally destroy the natives through industry, fire, and sci-fi poo poo like a robot spider, maybe we play an evil fantasy lich or whatever and use skeletons/goblins/whatever to power our poo poo instead of electricity: build a farm instead of a boiler to support a goblin den. poo poo, in factorio we're immortal and always respawn in the same spot-- sounds like a phylactery to me.

The biters are villages instead which grow over time as they purify (eat) your corruption. Instead of belts you use either expensive goblin-powered tracks or inexpensive but unwieldy waterways.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Bernardo Orel posted:

Looking at the concept art I guess we polluted the planet so much that we woke up something sleeping in the depths of the oceans and now it is coming for us... Wube presents Factorio: Terror from the Deep :v:

Maybe it will deal more with waste management.

Which I think would be sweet. Most industrial processes result in waste, often quite a lot of it. Simply placing it somewhere can be a big logistical challenge. Throw in various types of recycling, ways of cleaning up pollution and new biter behavior would add a lot to the game.

E: call it The Revenge of Captain Planet

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Elevated rails is my only wish for this game.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Elevated monorails that run on electricity instead of needing to refuel? Does that trivialize stuff too much?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Other factory builders (and mods for Factorio) complicate the logistics with waste output. Satisfactory's mid and late game deal with it a lot for example. I like the idea of managing waste then later using that waste for something else.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I wouldn't be surprised if it went multi-planet like the Space Exploration mod (or Oxygen Not Included's new expansion)

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Less Fat Luke posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it went multi-planet like the Space Exploration mod (or Oxygen Not Included's new expansion)

My hope is that they do something like this but take the rough edges off of it, and elaborate it a lot.

I didn’t mind the elimination of Prod modules in space, though it would have been nice for it to be limited only to the coolant-consumption-and-return processes where they would have caused fluid overflow problems. Some kind of separate coolant supply system, required to operate processes in space and send hot coolant to a radiator farm, would be dope.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How about a post rocket tech that makes trains smart enough to not plow into you.

Or give them the ability to reverse and clear a traffic jam when I screw up the signals.

For real though I'd like to see them enhance the biters without making them behemoth++ bullet sponges. Add a little more tower defense to the game, plus some new turrets to match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
The biggest challenge they have is they need to make an expansion that doesn't make you think, "I could have gotten all this for free with mods."