Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Nick Anderson

Lisa Benson

Chip Bok

Steve Breen

DEBT

Tim Campbell

Jeff Danziger

Matt Davies

Bob Gorrell

Walt Handelsman

Phil Hands

SHIRTLESS PUTIN IN A TANK FOR EVERYONE!

Clay Jones

KAL

Steve Kelley

Mike Lukovich

Marty Two Bulls

Jack Ohman

Henry Payne

Gee I hope no one else thought of making a Dr. Fauci + Groundhog Day toon...

Joel Pett

Michael Ramirez

Drew Sheneman

Tom Stiglich

Dana Summers

Gary Varvel

Matt Wuerker

Tony Branco

quote:

Special Delivery
US and Canadian Truckers protesting the draconian government COVID policies
Poor Trudeau doesn't have any symbols like Biden does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Quick formatting request, Raised by Birds: could you not include a carriage return when you quote the branco captions? I'm manually copying them into the kellies nomination interface, and that gets them translated across multiple cells (and it turns out there have been a lot of Branco nominations).

Kellies nominations progress: 20%. I'll try to stream through the rest of them over the weekend.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I mean yeah it's a Gorrell so it's gonna be lazy but holy poo poo that's like "gbs 1.0 mspaint thread" level of craftsmanship there with all the artifacts.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

What?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Look at that clown Biden, thinking a black women is qualified to sit on the Supreme Court, what a clown!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

It's referring to the film The Help. I don't know what's in the pie, I haven't seen it. I assume poo poo.
I believe referring to the film The Help is deeply corny, but I haven't really looked into it.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Ruben Bolling

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Death to Stultophobia

Ted Rall posted:

They're the last group of Americans it's OK to mock and insult: stupid people. It's time for woke people to stand up for these disadvantaged Americans!

First Dog on the Moon: What sort of things should the prime minister know?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Ted "Idiocracy was a friggin documentary, right??" Rall

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

quote:

It's time for woke people to stand up for these disadvantaged Americans!

One, shut the gently caress up, Rall. And b, "woke people" do stand up for them anyway, a higher minimum wage, more worker protections, and universal health care would all go to people with low intelligence too, and hell, if you support UBI, that would be a good way to say "You have the right to live even if you're bad at work."

e: Actually I think I'm misunderstanding the cartoon, now that I think about it. Because he's saying the dumb people are CEOs and politicians and whatnot, and that the more intelligent people are struggling to survive.

But with that in mind now I don't know what the message of the cartoon is. Woke people should support CEOs and politicians because they're dumb and therefore a disadvantaged group? Or is it a right wing talking point of "woke people wanting to help disadvantaged groups is dumb because they all already have all the advantages"?

I don't know. It's hard to think right now and I should just go back to playing Pokemon.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Feb 4, 2022

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Intelligence and IQ are bullshit and “half of people are stupider than average” is a pithy statement that falls apart under any scrutiny. Being bad at math or spatial reasoning or formal logic or whatever does not actually devalue a person. It’s good if people can be given tasks and positions that match their specific skill sets, but when evaluating if a person is someone you wanna spend time with or trust to have authority over others, the only broad rubric to consider is their capacity for empathy and introspection.

I have actually tried to excise words like “stupid” from my vocabulary, but I eventually noticed no one actually uses it to deride people based on how they think they’d score on an IQ test.

Ted Rall is an idiot, not because he doesn’t understand statistics, but because he thinks IQ is a valid metric by which people should be discriminated against.

E: I’m pretty sure you’re overthinking it and that Ted is making no point beside “some discrimination is good” with random potshots at presidents and “woke culture” in the middle because he doesn’t stop to revise his cartoons to make a coherent point.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Feb 4, 2022

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

if it was most other cartoonists there'd be a reasonable chance they just hosed up their delivery, but since it's ted rall I'm 90% sure he's just saying "why does no one listen to me, the smartest?"

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Ted Rall, a man who replied to and interacted with a parody of his own weird Roger Ebert rant, smugly says we should be able to make fun of stupid people. I agree, Ted :laffo:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Huh, the US in a justified war, that's a change of pace.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

SubG posted:

I mean yeah it's a Gorrell so it's gonna be lazy but holy poo poo that's like "gbs 1.0 mspaint thread" level of craftsmanship there with all the artifacts.

There's a reason we had to ban him from winning the Kelly for laziest cartoon and just name the whole category after him

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I would think this guy would be more concerned about the loving hole in his chest than his stolen car.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Death to Stultophobia

Even if IQ wasn't horseshit, and intelligence was a trackable constant, 50% of people wouldn't be below average, because average and median are two different things.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

rydiafan posted:

Even if IQ wasn't horseshit, and intelligence was a trackable constant, 50% of people wouldn't be below average, because average and median are two different things.

Also, normally distributed data has ~68% of data within 1 standard deviation of the mean and that's what we generally indicate as "average intelligence."

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

rydiafan posted:

I've heard average used to refer to median, though it usually refers to Mean in conversation.

Not for a second that I think Theodore Rall the Lesser has a command over the three statistical averages, to be fair.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

rydiafan posted:

To be fair, IQ scales all use a normal distribution (the famous "Bell Curve"), so the mean and the median are the same in this case. That said, "average" IQ is usually defined as an interval spanning one standard deviation, so the majority of the population has an average IQ.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Isn't it a George Carlin bit? Ted Rall likely hasn't seen any comedy since then.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
In a sufficently large population you would expect roughly half to be at or below average
And also roughly half would be at or above average.
And also 63% of the population is within the standard error.
So 8 billion humans are probably evenly distributed on the normal curve.
Because that's literally how all those things are defined.
But also good luck with your "intelligence test."

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Kellies nomination: Most Incomprehensible

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lol this is the stupidest argument I've ever seen ahahaha

Infrastructure is bad because what if we get carried away filling potholes and fill up groundhogs' homes

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Tobermory posted:

Ruben Bolling

oh my god

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Kellies nomination: Most Incomprehensible

Gov Pritzker is getting drunk on power and fat with narcissism and he's suffocating Illinois.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Ruben Bolling is the actual best cartoonist

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I want to have this guy's job

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Look, if that's what it takes to make cartoonists stop drawing cartoons about loving groundhog day i'll take it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Stantis, you fuckwit, a Libertarian is almost certainly running against at least two people. That's why it's called a third party.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DalaranJ posted:

Stantis, you fuckwit, a Libertarian is almost certainly running against at least two people. That's why it's called a third party.

Yeah but in the rural Southwest the other person will probably be Constitution Party.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Eh it happens, in the House a ton (my district is so gerrymandered the other party doesn't always run), but even in the Senate. I think Kevin is a senator

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Gov Pritzker is getting drunk on power and fat with narcissism and he's suffocating Illinois.

Also purposely co-opting a phrase used by racial justice advocates to whine about taxes and spending money which is the grossest part.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Ruben Bolling is the actual best cartoonist

Absolutely.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Holy poo poo that's actually funny. The duck made a joke.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

kirschen: 2022

quote:

A "Surprise Meeting" was just held between Israel’s Defense Minister and Mahmoud Abbas, President of the (fictional) State of Palestine. Apparently, Biden and Bennett were taken by surprise.
Apparently.

It's no surprise to us (me and the Long Suffering Wife) but as we continue to turn out Dry Bones cartoons we need to continue to enlist support.

quote:

It is unfortunate that Israel's Defense Minister and Jordan’s King did not discuss the Trump 2020 Peace Plan when they met on January 5th.

quote:

Here in Israel I got my 4th vaccination today?!!

quote:

It's Tu BeShvat, the New Year of the Trees holiday (Sun eve to Mon eve)

BTW, if you're a Dry Bones fan, a Zionist, or supporter of Western Civilization, you need to have my very special book. Maybe you've heard about it from a friend or read about it someplace. It's called "Trees, the Green Testament". You can get it from Amazon (Print copy or Kindle) at https://amzn.to/3rqx8Ug And if you DO buy a copy . . . PLEASE leave a review.

quote:

We're living in a bizarre reality called CovidLand!

quote:

January 27 is a special day.

Auschwitz-Birkenau was the largest of the Nazi death camps. It was in Poland. In 1945, As invading Soviet soldiers approached, almost 60,000 prisoners were forced by their captors to leave the Polish camp on a death march westward towards Germany.

About 7,000 prisoners were left behind in the Camp. On January 27, 1945, the Soviet soldiers reached the camp and freed those left. The date (January 27) is recognized as International Holocaust Remembrance Day of the estimated 6 million Jews, 2 million Roma, 250,000 mentally and physically disabled people, and 9,000 homosexual men murdered by the Nazis and their collaborators.

January 27 is a special day.

BTW, if you're a Dry Bones fan I want you to buy my Graphic Novel. It's called "Trees, the Green Testament". You can get it from Amazon (Print copy or Kindle) at https://amzn.to/3rqx8Ug And if you DO buy a copy . . . PLEASE leave a review.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on government plans to help people pay their energy bills – Boris Johnson is hoping to regain the political initiative with a package of support announced by the chancellor, Rishi Sunak"

Telegraph:

Matt:

Millions in UK face fuel poverty despite Sunak support, say experts

Independent:

Times:

Department of Health writes off £9bn spent in England’s Covid PPE drive

Evening Standard:

Another adviser reportedly quits after ‘meltdown day’ at No 10

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Do people in Britain really even care about Boris having a party or is this only something the cartoonists care about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Republicans posted:

Do people in Britain really even care about Boris having a party or is this only something the cartoonists care about?

If Trashfuture is anything to go by, this party genuinely seems to be the thing that made the worm turn on Boris.