Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Afterparty still owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
It's insanely frustrating how often the Peacemaker opening jumps into my thoughts.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Annie Murphy’s episode was my least favourite, I like her a lot as an actress but she has no improv skills at all

Should have got Tatiana Maslany to fill their Canadian quota instead.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

theflyingexecutive posted:

That's the one. Four hundred years to assemble a committee and another thousand for them to self-assess conflicts of interest.

Ha, yeah, that was my first impulse. Bend over backwards to accede to your every demand and then can't even deliver on anything.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The one about a strange erotic journey from Milan to Minsk sounds ok.

https://twitter.com/WyattDuncan/status/1489299272944132100?t=Yorz9DjDAuQjZU7jPqycog&s=19

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Aphex- posted:

Yeah Kumail and Marshawn were great. The scene with Kumail having to do that 'cool' walk and voice had me rolling because you can see Will Arnett barely holding back laughter.

I love it when they break and laugh.
Kumail was probably the best guest. Him making Arnett do a non-racist accent was a moment when the format delivered.. Conan I found a little too slick. Annie Murphy was too much of a passenger.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Junkenstein posted:

https://twitter.com/WyattDuncan/status/1489299272944132100?t=Yorz9DjDAuQjZU7jPqycog&s=19

Daniel Day Lewis would absolutely do a fantastic Ponce de Leon.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

LionArcher posted:

What it really did was set up the rest of the series well, and again, the book it's adapting has a weird rear end ending. Budget issues aside, the rest of the books have much stronger endings that actually flow into the next one well.

You can only do giant sword in the sky battles once or twice, glad they didn't waste it this season.

Of the books at least 4 or 5 of them have ambivalent endings that act as continuing grist for the overall story but has no exciting or memorable ending.

The books quickly turn into sprawling collections of hundreds of PoV and trying to say the first book, which was clearly a LoTR knockoff lets get to the bad guy's den where everyone was together getting there (and the TV show had only 2 of them go while the rest of them twiddled their fingers for dumb reason), was the hardest one to adapt is completely confusing to me.

At this point the showrunner is putting out a mediocre TV show that might be better served trying it again with a different creative team years down the road.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Looten Plunder posted:

Marshawn Lynch was surprisingly awesome in Murderville. Massive props to Arnett for adjusting based on the guest too. He knew Conan could handle getting his balls busted but played into the buddy cop thing with Marshawn a lot more.

I loved Marshawn laying the dude in the bunker out and snatching the baseball bat. He looked ready to gently caress some poo poo up.

Let make make it more sloppy

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's amazing how quickly Netflix has become a service I pay for and don't know why. Is there anything worthwhile on it anymore? Licensed stuff keeps getting removed, good shows have ended, and anything promising gets cancelled after the first or second season.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

We literally spent the past 2-3 pages talking about 2 Netflix shows, but all the good shows have ended....

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Squid Games dominated discourse for a month and every pandemic-brained person was hot on Joe Exotic.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I know exactly why I still pay for Netflix: because my entire family shares my account and I'd feel bad if I canceled it despite having not watched anything on it in ages.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My folks use my Netflix. I use their Hulu and HBOMax. I consider that a fair trade.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

GreenNight posted:

My folks use my Netflix. I use their Hulu and HBOMax. I consider that a fair trade.

I am in a similar arrangement myself: my parents pay for Netflix (or rather pay me to pay for Netflix since they don't get along with online payments), my brother pays for HBOMax, I pay for Disney+ and we all share. Probably the best solution to the streaming wars.

HBOMax is probably the better service out of all of them, imho.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I will say I'm seriously considering cancelling my prime for a few months when it comes up for renewal to make up for the massive price jump so that Bezos can relocate a historic bridge for his mega-yacht.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

bull3964 posted:

We literally spent the past 2-3 pages talking about 2 Netflix shows, but all the good shows have ended....

I'm not sure which shows you mean, most of what I saw I thought were from other services. My apologies. Still, it's probably the first I'll get rid of before HBOmax, Hulu, etc. The only reason I even had it on over the last two months is because I had to sign in with a new television.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Murderville is Netflix and that’s like all we’ve talked about for the last page lol. Also The Woman in the House

But yeah there were a good few months last year where there was like almost nothing I cared about hitting Netflix. Weird time to hike up prices imo

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Been thinking about names for the 2nd season, maybe

The Woman in the Plane in the Seat Next to the Older Woman from the Bathroom

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

All companies are jacking up prices so they can give more massive bonuses to their CEO's.

More and more poo poo gonna be going straight to my Plex.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Escobarbarian posted:

Murderville is Netflix and that’s like all we’ve talked about for the last page lol. Also The Woman in the House

But yeah there were a good few months last year where there was like almost nothing I cared about hitting Netflix. Weird time to hike up prices imo

Yeah, and I was under the assumption that Murderville was on AppleTV for some reason.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Afterparty is the murder mystery show with lots of funny people that’s not improvised and is on Apple. Murderville is the murder mystery show with lots of funny people that is improvised and is on Netflix. So yeah, I get it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yes, that's exactly what happened, thank you.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Outside of Murderville, Squid Game, and Woman in the House, Netflix shows that came out in the past year that I watched and would (mostly) recommend: Baking Impossible, The Block Island Sound (movie), Brand New Cherry Flavor, Cowboy Bebop, The Great British Baking Show, High on the Hog, I Think You Should Leave S2, Never Have I Ever S2, School of Chocolate, Witcher S2, You S3.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FilthyImp posted:

Squid Games dominated discourse for a month and every pandemic-brained person was hot on Joe Exotic.

I mean, the latter came out nearly 2 years ago now. Nobody cared about the 2nd season at all.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And Arcane.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Executives seem to forget that the reason Tiger King did so well is because it was the first show to air at the beginning of the pandemic as everyone was going into the initial lockdown and everything else on television was getting postponed or cancelled.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Murderville (NETFLIX)

I haven't seen Ken Jeong yet but Kumail Nanjiani was my least favorite so far. Sure Annie Murphy was in over her head/not experienced at improv but I think the way she couldn't stop smiling made her whole episode endearing.

Kumail definitely had funnier bits but he seemed like he thought he was Above it and had to be practically begged to actually participate, which is just eh

I didn't realize it was based off a British show which makes sense since I kept getting panel show vibes from it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m not really sure where you’re getting that from, Kumail looked like he was enjoying himself to me, and he was engaged enough to pick up on most of the clues.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I can't fathom why you would make that show with that concept then cast people without improv experience.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m not really sure where you’re getting that from, Kumail looked like he was enjoying himself to me, and he was engaged enough to pick up on most of the clues.

That's just The Impression I Got from watching his single 30 minute episode, op. He made some funny jokes and participated in the Mystery.

But when he was just shrugging off Will Arnett trying to get him to invent a funny walk I couldn't help but think man, Marshawn Lynch jumped straight in to some dumb poo poo both feet first in his episode, and then this is a professional Comedian Not Getting It. I'm also shocked I'm writing this many words to defend a vague impression I came away with from a single episode of an improv show.

And yes I realize he very clearly did "get it" by the end etc

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm confused as to why so many people are saying Annie Murphy can't improvise. I haven't seen the show, but she was amazing on Schitt's Creek and a lot of that was improv.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

feedmyleg posted:

I can't fathom why you would make that show with that concept then cast people without improv experience.

Marshawn Lynch proved it can work imo. UK celeb shows make it work all the time, I think it'll take some time maybe to calibrate the little set ups for people, etc but I would be fine with future seasons mixing in more rando celebs

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'm confused as to why so many people are saying Annie Murphy can't improvise. I haven't seen the show, but she was amazing on Schitt's Creek and a lot of that was improv.

Because most of what she does in her episode is just kind of smiling and nodding

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SunshineDanceParty posted:

It's insanely frustrating how often the Peacemaker opening jumps into my thoughts.

Been a long time since riding the earworm madness rollercoaster. I'm at the point now where I can stop it from autoplaying in my head on loop, unless it gets mentioned and then starts playing again.

Junkenstein posted:

This looks like VHS you'd get at McDonalds as a promo or would see in a pile of tapes in a blockbuster or something.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
BLIND TO WHAT YOU’LL SOON BECOME, THE MIRROR LIED, THE WHOLE WORLD’S WRONG

quite worrying how some people itt don’t appear to have seen Seinfeld

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Throw your dog the invisible bone?!

I've been singing slow your roll the invisible boy

Evil has an episode where a cop shoots a woman and says a demon influenced him to see a gun and shoot. At some point they were all worried about this cop going to jail... absurd. But then when the grand jury let's him off no problem, they are all cynical about it like they called it all along, yeah right. Curious if that plotline ever comes back up besides to know they can't trust cops, but adding demons to the racist gangs and such ain't that much of a difference.

edit: Okay, pretend for a moment you are God. You see a monastery down below with a vow of silence, been doing it for 150 years. However, these fuckers are communicating freely using tablets and stylus and other writing tricks. Do you bless these people for their halfass commitment or smite them for trying to pull some poo poo on you?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 4, 2022

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

AARD VARKMAN posted:

That's just The Impression I Got from watching his single 30 minute episode, op. He made some funny jokes and participated in the Mystery.

But when he was just shrugging off Will Arnett trying to get him to invent a funny walk I couldn't help but think man, Marshawn Lynch jumped straight in to some dumb poo poo both feet first in his episode, and then this is a professional Comedian Not Getting It. I'm also shocked I'm writing this many words to defend a vague impression I came away with from a single episode of an improv show.

And yes I realize he very clearly did "get it" by the end etc

Yeah there were a few points with Kumali refused to go along with the premise and had to be asked a couple of times, the not naming his girlfriend rather than coming up with something funny etc. which seems very against the basic spirit of improv, but I think he just didn't get how to act fully, the episode was still pretty funny.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Watched the first two episodes of Reacher on Prime. It's okay I guess- the dialogue is kinda stilted but I'm not expecting high art. I've never read any of the books but I know the lead is a hell of a lot more closer to the character than Tom Cruise was. The violence is cool and good.

The dude playing the detective is doing his best worst Cuba Gooding Jr channeling, though. Not a fan of him so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/TheOrville/status/1489647134374834192