Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
VR is really fun for games like racquet nx and pistol whip. Idk about playing videogames on it tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Healbot posted:

Also VR sucks poo poo and doesn't sell.

The market appears to be Beat Saber, 19 companies who made good to great money, and the rest got hosed

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

VR boxing is cool AF

Also that shooting game where you hit targets in sync with the music. ( I think harmonix made it).

Guy at work says that “keep talking and no one explodes” is legit in VR too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

VR is cool, HL Alyx is cooler than any other game I’ve ever played and if it comes to PSVR2 it’s gonna make people cry when they realise how poo poo other games are by comparison.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I am immune to VR, but I'm glad other people have fun with it.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

VR peaked in the 90's.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

John F Bennett posted:

VR peaked in the 90's.

It really let you soak in and appreciate both of the fps

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Modern VR is a truly amazing experience but I just don’t like having a big headset strapped on my face so for me it’s only worth it for truly transcendent stuff like Astro Bot and hopefully Alyx one day

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

John F Bennett posted:

VR peaked in the 90's.

Yeah, I don't know why people are even trying after the second Lawnmover Man movie!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

John F Bennett posted:

VR peaked in the 90's.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Pistol whip is genuinely good fun. You bop along to the music capping phantom assholes in various movie motifs.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The 90's actually had legit VR it was just horrible and no one could ever afford to play it outside of an arcade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dji9YiPZ4AM

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

veni veni veni posted:

The 90's actually had legit VR it was just horrible and no one could ever afford to play it outside of an arcade

https://youtu.be/Q7QPnFPzNgQ

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

veni veni veni posted:

My dad and I played that game in Boston, I think on Newbury Street. Also played Super Mario 64 for the first time at a net cafe there, later. I recall the VR game being very wonky but impressive in that "whoa it's in 3D!" Kind of way, but yeah it was rough. Current day VR kicks rear end though. Still work to be done but it's good.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im glad it's cool. I'll check out VR when i can justify $1000 for a lovely monitor that lets me play 2 games and as many tech demos as I want. so in the next lifetime, I guess

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
Transformers Battlegrounds (on game pass) was a very fun 6ish hours of not too intense or complicated turn based strategy gaming, think Front Mission/ FF Tactics, etc, but not as many systems.

Anywho, if that sentence means anything to you, I highly recommend it; it's obviously a relatively simple kid-friendly story, but just pretend it's a Saturday morning in like 1986 and you'll be just fine.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Anybody else loving around with Dreamscaper? It seems neat.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

veni veni veni posted:

I played that at St. Louis Union Station back in high school. It was like, "Miss I don't think the helmets on write, miss it doesn't seem to be working. Miss...", then bang it was over.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Man dying light 2 is dark and low res on series X in performance mode, which is the only way to play since everything else is 30 frames or less. Barely got part way through the intro and my eyes hurt.

Game seems pretty good otherwise, same tier as dying light 1 at least. The only zombie games I ever liked were the first one and the two last of us games, but mainly because the first game allowed you to basically avoid zombies.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I want that janky 90s VR aesthetic in all my video games.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Man dying light 2 is dark and low res on series X in performance mode, which is the only way to play since everything else is 30 frames or less. Barely got part way through the intro and my eyes hurt.

Game seems pretty good otherwise, same tier as dying light 1 at least. The only zombie games I ever liked were the first one and the two last of us games, but mainly because the first game allowed you to basically avoid zombies.

Do you understand the title?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ErrEff posted:

I want that janky 90s VR aesthetic in all my video games.

Buy a switch

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also buy a Vita, so you can emulate ps1 games

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That’s what the Xbox is for

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.

caldrax posted:

My dad and I played that game in Boston, I think on Newbury Street. Also played Super Mario 64 for the first time at a net cafe there, later. I recall the VR game being very wonky but impressive in that "whoa it's in 3D!" Kind of way, but yeah it was rough. Current day VR kicks rear end though. Still work to be done but it's good.

That sounds like Cybersmith in Harvard Square, I played Mario 64 for the first time there too along with network Quake.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Toaster Beef posted:

Anybody else loving around with Dreamscaper? It seems neat.

I started and the premise and some of the elements are cool. I just for the life of me can't play anymore rogue/rogue-lite games. I am just sick of them. At some point they all just feel like the same treadmill with slightly different window dressing.

It did seem cool if you aren't sick of them like me though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

There is a future for VR as long as they can downsize the goggles into glasses without compromising power/fov/resolution/tracking. Even something as weak as the Quest 2 hardware in a pair of Oakleys has the potential to be an iPhone-level shift in the market, but to get there products like Quest 2 in Uncomfortable Goggle Form have to exist so there is a platform to iterate the software stack upon.

Anyone who doesn't see this is a loving idiot.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I worked at Toys R Us when the Nintendo Virtual Boy was out, that thing sucked poo poo

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Just let my gamepass run out and was able to lock in 3 years of Ultimate til Feb 2025 for $125 tax included lmao. I used that turkish gold stacking method linked in here earlier, I was gonna use Costco cards and pay ~$165 because I was worried about possible snags doing it the other way but my account password was messed up on costco.com. It would've cost me $576 if I paid all that out monthly lol ($16 per month with tax here). Thank you Xbox, thank you Phil, thank you Turkey. Hopefully TES6 will come out before the sub ends.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Seltzer posted:

Hopefully TES6 will come out before the sub ends.

:mrwhite:

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Is Contrast going to be a permanent addition to game pass like We Happy Few? It's made by Compulsion.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Probably a permanent addition, yeah. I remember getting it with PS Plus many years ago and falling off after a couple of hours.

The Xbox One store page has this message:

quote:

Dev note: Hi everyone! Thanks for checking out CONTRAST. We’re really excited about the Xbox One version. It is the tightest version of the game we’ve made, and has had the advantage of the improvements that we’ve made since the initial launch of the game and the power of the Xbox One (believe it or not, dynamic shadows make for a pretty power hungry game).

We made this game because we wanted to make something different. We wanted a simple, mature story – something that’s not “congratulations, here’s a fancy sword, go save the world!” – based around a mechanic that hadn’t been seen before. If you like games that are different or unique, set in different time periods, with unusual stories or new mechanics, then this might be a good game for you. If you like super-hard platformers, this isn’t that type of game.

The average play time is roughly 4-5 hours, but it’s like most games based around puzzles – some of you will complete it faster or take longer to explore the world. But, we encourage you not to race through it – to us, CONTRAST is a performance, where every minute we’re trying to bring you something different. We suggest you find and read all the collectibles, if you’d like to fully understand the story (and to get the full sweet 1000 G). And, if you like it, feel free to come say hi on Twitter!

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

goddamn that is thirsty

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Retrograde posted:

That sounds like Cybersmith in Harvard Square, I played Mario 64 for the first time there too along with network Quake.

That sounds right, I think I tried Quake there too! I ended up playing a lot of that in a local place on Martha's Vineyard called Epicenter (mostly Doom 2 custom maps though, also where I learned to design levels).

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Compulsion has only made two games. Why did Microsoft buy them?

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
They felt compelled.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

VR works really well for stationary simulators like flight and racing games.

I tried out my buddies setup on his race sim and it was the most immersive setup I'd every played a racing game on.

I've tried a quest(?) with all its tech demo things and it was kinda fun but just a tech demo.

Semi related - MS has killed HoloLens.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Laserface posted:

VR works really well for stationary simulators like flight and racing games.

I tried out my buddies setup on his race sim and it was the most immersive setup I'd every played a racing game on.

I've tried a quest(?) with all its tech demo things and it was kinda fun but just a tech demo.

Semi related - MS has killed HoloLens.
Quest is the best selling headset and has brought in the most store revenue compared to any other headset. It has almost no simulators (at least not in the traditional cockpit sense), people are buying and playing the tech demos. Developers are making sequels to those tech demos. In that ecosystem where VR is retaining the most users, VR sims are more a niche.

Microsoft's AR/VR failures are self inflicted, every choice they've made has been the wrong one. Their PCVR headsets were minimal effort, bottom of the barrel garbage and only continue to be useful thanks to their SteamVR support as Microsoft's own VR software ecosystem was DOA. Optical passthrough AR isn't technologically good enough to be useful yet, Facebook made the right choice focusing on high resolution, high FOV but bulky HMDs at relative low cost and experimenting with AR ambitions using camera pass-through. Approaching it from that direction makes for a fun toy, rather than bearing the baggage of needing to be serious equipment for work like Hololens and Magic Leap.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The specs on PSVR 2 sound really impressive. I really hope it works for PCVR as well as playstation without much fuckery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

SCheeseman posted:

Quest is the best selling headset and has brought in the most store revenue compared to any other headset. It has almost no simulators (at least not in the traditional cockpit sense), people are buying and playing the tech demos. Developers are making sequels to those tech demos. In that ecosystem where VR is retaining the most users, VR sims are more a niche.

Microsoft's AR/VR failures are self inflicted, every choice they've made has been the wrong one. Their PCVR headsets were minimal effort, bottom of the barrel garbage and only continue to be useful thanks to their SteamVR support as Microsoft's own VR software ecosystem was DOA. Optical passthrough AR isn't technologically good enough to be useful yet, Facebook made the right choice focusing on high resolution, high FOV but bulky HMDs at relative low cost and experimenting with AR ambitions using camera pass-through. Approaching it from that direction makes for a fun toy, rather than bearing the baggage of needing to be serious equipment for work like Hololens and Magic Leap.

I just dont see VR getting wide spread use in video games outside of first person experiences that do not rely on the players virtual persona moving. you aren't playing COD with a VR setup in a loungeroom, probably ever, with true immersive movement and controls. why would you want to?

i guess the answer to that becomes 'mech FPS games' which i could get behind.