Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I enjoyed friendly fire and have never listened to minority korner or fanti so I am probably an elderly nazi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Are there ads for mbmbam on the other maxfun podcasts?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bip Roberts posted:

Are there ads for mbmbam on the other maxfun podcast?

I've heard an occasional one on the flop house so I assume they're across the network. But they're not very common unlike ones for doctor gameshow or heat rocks.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Bip Roberts posted:

Are there ads for mbmbam on the other maxfun podcasts?

I remember hearing some TAZ ones that were extremely bad

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I was thinking that the internal other-podcast ads on max fun were just about the worst production's possible and probably could use a consultant or something to tell everyone they're horrible but the audience for them are people who are unable to skip podcast ads so who knows what those mutants like.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I've definitely heard ads for other McElroy podcasts on Greatest Generation, I don't think I've ever heard a MBMBaM ad though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bip Roberts posted:

I was thinking that the internal other-podcast ads on max fun were just about the worst production's possible and probably could use a consultant or something to tell everyone they're horrible but the audience for them are people who are unable to skip podcast ads so who knows what those mutants like.

it’s like how “Nigerian prince” email scams work

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

kdrudy posted:

I've definitely heard ads for other McElroy podcasts on Greatest Generation, I don't think I've ever heard a MBMBaM ad though.

The treasure hunting ad wasn't bad, pretty sure I heard that on greatest gen.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

mission to zyxx has the only tolerable ad reads imho

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

kdrudy posted:

Greatest generation has the worst ads. I'm sure I'd like it but there's self deprecating and there's whatever the gently caress those guys are doing

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Piell posted:

I remember hearing some TAZ ones that were extremely bad

the original one in balance that was like "you arrive at the wizard's keep. the dragon is covered in golden rubies." and travis says "i roll to charm new listeners!" was pretty fun, it definitely leans into the "this is mostly some dinguses and their dad having fun and not a Serious D And D podcast" element

Raccoonboy
May 31, 2011
the wrestling one with the bad impressions sucks

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

more falafel please posted:

the original one in balance that was like "you arrive at the wizard's keep. the dragon is covered in golden rubies." and travis says "i roll to charm new listeners!" was pretty fun, it definitely leans into the "this is mostly some dinguses and their dad having fun and not a Serious D And D podcast" element

I think that one also ended with Griffin saying "I think this ad is going to be a ~CrItIcAl HiT~. I thought it was fun, but imagine being someone who's not already familiar with the McElroys and being convinced by those lines. Or imagine being a Travis hater and hearing the "roll for listeners" line.

All MaxFun ads are bad unless you already listen to the show being advertised, are otherwise familiar with the hosts, or somehow fall into the incredibly narrow niche each show seems to be aiming for. The old Stop Podcasting Yourself ad where Dave says "Hi, we're from Canada. Wait, don't hang up!" was really endearing to me because I listen to the show and know how he and Graham joke. Was genuinely surprised to find out people in here did not like that ad at all.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
All I need for an ad is "Hi I'm Clint McElroy. Hello."

That's it.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

SpacePig posted:

All MaxFun ads are bad unless you already listen to the show being advertised, are otherwise familiar with the hosts, or somehow fall into the incredibly narrow niche each show seems to be aiming for.
what's the comparison point here? Are there other ads for other things on other networks that spark joy within the all children of the world?

I know "MaxFun ads are bad" is a popular thread topic but I think that simplifies down to "ads are bad". I'm equally sick of hearing about BetterHelp or stamps.com or the same "Electic Cars: They're Normal Now!" copy that seems like it was frozen in place from the year 2005

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SpacePig posted:

I think that one also ended with Griffin saying "I think this ad is going to be a ~CrItIcAl HiT~. I thought it was fun, but imagine being someone who's not already familiar with the McElroys and being convinced by those lines. Or imagine being a Travis hater and hearing the "roll for listeners" line.

All MaxFun ads are bad unless you already listen to the show being advertised, are otherwise familiar with the hosts, or somehow fall into the incredibly narrow niche each show seems to be aiming for. The old Stop Podcasting Yourself ad where Dave says "Hi, we're from Canada. Wait, don't hang up!" was really endearing to me because I listen to the show and know how he and Graham joke. Was genuinely surprised to find out people in here did not like that ad at all.

I sort of like the Jordan Jesse Go ones where it’s like one of those “real Chevy customers” commercials.

And like one of them ends with the “customer” or “focus group participant” being like “I’m uncomfortable, can I go now?”

but they get old fast, and really overstay their welcome

it might be more enjoyable/tolerable if they retired and replaced their ads with some degree of frequency instead of running them for years and occasionally splicing in extra audio

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

I usually don’t mind podcast ads but the minority korner ones were really bad. There was also a super annoying flop house ad that used to come on during old TAZ episodes I think that put me off of listening to that podcast for a long time, which I kind of regret

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

JOSEPH SAMOAN posted:

I usually don’t mind podcast ads but the minority korner ones were really bad. There was also a super annoying flop house ad that used to come on during old TAZ episodes I think that put me off of listening to that podcast for a long time, which I kind of regret

singing long annoying songs like this one

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

JOSEPH SAMOAN posted:

I have hot & cold periods with Elliott. Like there will be months where he’s hilarious and hitting home run after home run, and then there will be some completely dire episodes where he almost makes you wonder how the podcast remains as popular as it is, like where he totally kills the energy with his gimmick.

Has anybody here actually listened to Minority Korner? Is it a decent show betrayed by its own ads? I know it’s been rebooted and the hosts changed at least once. Did the quality/character of the show change?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ok Comboomer posted:

I sort of like the Jordan Jesse Go ones where it’s like one of those “real Chevy customers” commercials.

And like one of them ends with the “customer” or “focus group participant” being like “I’m uncomfortable, can I go now?”

JJGO has consistently good ads that accurately convey the amiable pointlessness of the podcast.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Entropic posted:

JJGO has consistently good ads that accurately convey the amiable pointlessness of the podcast.

JJGO having the best ads because Jesse owns the company is some Vince McMahon poo poo, I tell ya what

JJGo’s been on a tear with the guests over the last few months

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I know that’s not why JJGo has the best ads, btw. Nobody needs to climb up my rear end

Jordan+Jesse are legitimately funny people with almost two decades of radio and podcasting behind them

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/1489821150884642822

Hoping that this still happens, it would rule

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Stop Podcasting Yourself has the best ads that are actually kinda funny and not annoying. Still haven’t listened to the show but at least I’m not opposed to it.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

George H.W. oval office posted:

Stop Podcasting Yourself has the best ads that are actually kinda funny and not annoying. Still haven’t listened to the show but at least I’m not opposed to it.

I like it but I also feel I get a lot out of it from having family in BC and getting a lot of their BC and general Canada references.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

i liked the heat rocks ads because that lady has an incredibly nice voice. rip heat rocks

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

more falafel please posted:

singing long annoying songs like this one

It's "long irritating songs" god it's like you didn't even listen to that loving ad over a hundred times in the course of a month

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Shut up! Let the scene play out!

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Ads are one of the things that pay for podcasts. If you're not a donor, then skip the ads and don't be weird about it. If you are a donor, skip the ads and don't be weird about it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Froghammer posted:

Ads are one of the things that pay for podcasts. If you're not a donor, then skip the ads and don't be weird about it. If you are a donor, skip the ads and don't be weird about it.

I don’t think anybody’s being weird about it— they’re commenting on the quality of the ads, not about the fact that there are ads at all

good ads that aren’t annoying encourage people to check out new podcasts and products while bad ads turn people off

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I would propose we replace all maxfun ads with Justin reading the ad copy verbatim and then playing the ad itself while Griffin and Travis sit in silence

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Much Squad is worth it alone for that one time that he called like a Chilli's or something and the person who answered recognized him

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

flavor.flv posted:

I would propose we replace all maxfun ads with Justin reading the ad copy verbatim and then playing the ad itself while Griffin and Travis sit in silence

It's good to have something that's not a live read at the end of the ad block so you know when to stop skipping

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kazy posted:

Much Squad is worth it alone for that one time that he called like a Chilli's or something and the person who answered recognized him

It went so well the time he called that barbershop quartet that he figured it would be fine.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Bip Roberts posted:

It's good to have something that's not a live read at the end of the ad block so you know when to stop skipping

TAZ always leads back from the ad break with enough music that you can pretty much always skip straight into it, I wonder if it's intentional.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Elliot's stupid songs on that old ad are the reason I gave The Flop House a chance.

Their online fan base makes the McElory one look like pleasant, relaxed folks. They can and will tell you to kill yourself.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

I know that’s not why JJGo has the best ads, btw. Nobody needs to climb up my rear end

Jordan+Jesse are legitimately funny people with almost two decades of radio and podcasting behind them

:hai: I've been listening to them for so long they're like podcast comfort food for me these days. I'm jealous of the rapport they have from all those years working together.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Sankis posted:

i liked the heat rocks ads because that lady has an incredibly nice voice. rip heat rocks

Yeah her show sounded dumb so I never listened to it but I was also a big fan of her voice

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Elliot's stupid songs on that old ad are the reason I gave The Flop House a chance.

Their online fan base makes the McElory one look like pleasant, relaxed folks. They can and will tell you to kill yourself.

Really? The official Facebook group seems pretty well moderated and kicks people out for being poo poo heads. I've found it pretty decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Fil5000 posted:

Really? The official Facebook group seems pretty well moderated and kicks people out for being poo poo heads. I've found it pretty decent.

Let's just say the mod team there isn't above brigading their own members' personal pages and telling them to kill themselves, and leave it at that.