Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

oh also, while we're on the topic of weird motorcycle space pods, let's not forget the LIT C1

The guy inside in the last picture is the creator/CEO of the company and a friend of a friend, in fact. The big weird concept with this vehicle is that it has two gyro-stabilized motorized flywheels in the bottom, which work like satellite reaction wheels and allow the thing to balance itself upright at a standstill without deploying outriggers. It does work, surprisingly, and quite well too. Astute viewers may notice that the one he's in looks different from the one the lady is getting out of -- his is the working prototype, hers is a foam mockup.

Like most space pod motorcycles, I think it fills a niche that doesn't really exist -- at least not yet. Maybe if people got past the idea that you're supposed to always buy the biggest, ugliest, angriest motor vehicle you can afford, it would be a good all-weather commuter vehicle. As it is, it's too weird for people to buy it as a car replacement, and nobody is going to pay what it costs (that gyro mechanism is not cheap) just to have a motorcycle where you don't have to put your feet down. Last I heard he was shopping it around to various tech companies hoping one of them would pick it up. It periodically appears in rumors about the ~Apple Car~ because, well, look at it. That's some brand synergy right there.

Smart enough to build a self stabilizing gyro space pod, still puts a rear tire on the front.

Jazzzzz posted:

Yamaha is still selling the Niken, though I'd have to think they're not exactly flying off the shelves. They also won't stand up by themselves at a stop.

Speaking of which, what happens when the batteries run dead in the gryo-stabilized pod? I assume it falls over?

Both the niken and tricity are effectively motorcycles with the difficulty set to minimum and some of the pro difficulty features disabled.

I wanted to know what happens if you go into a corner just way too loving fast on one. What happens is you reach the articulation limit of the suspension, at that point the outside wheel attempts to lift off, but that instantly turns it into an offset axled bike and it slams back down. This process happens extremely quickly as an oscillation so what you feel as a rider is the front end gently judders and the whole bike just scrubs wide like a front wheel drive car.

I've seen crashed ones and I have no idea how it happens. I couldn't figure out how you could crash a tricity if you wanted to - it has abs and will outstop most motorbikes, you literally can't lose the front in any scenario, and there's not enough power to highside (I was trying).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Smart enough to build a self stabilizing gyro space pod, still puts a rear tire on the front.

Both the niken and tricity are effectively motorcycles with the difficulty set to minimum and some of the pro difficulty features disabled.

I wanted to know what happens if you go into a corner just way too loving fast on one. What happens is you reach the articulation limit of the suspension, at that point the outside wheel attempts to lift off, but that instantly turns it into an offset axled bike and it slams back down. This process happens extremely quickly as an oscillation so what you feel as a rider is the front end gently judders and the whole bike just scrubs wide like a front wheel drive car.

I've seen crashed ones and I have no idea how it happens. I couldn't figure out how you could crash a tricity if you wanted to - it has abs and will outstop most motorbikes, you literally can't lose the front in any scenario, and there's not enough power to highside (I was trying).

The MP3 has a safety bug (which is the best way of describing what it actually a flaw in the design but one that makes things considerably safer) in that the inside wheel always turns in slightly more than the outside one (more than the differential steering you would normally need the name of which has completely eluded me), so it always understeers fairly controllably.

Not sure what would happen in your scenario, your guess sounds about right but I assume the bump stops would stop the outside wheel lifting just because it would soft-land you before you hit the limit.

As to crashing one - I want you to sit down because this is going to be shocking news for you, but some people are really, really stupid.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
fwiw, I saw a ton of scooters with covers over them a la that bmw (but 100% not - aftermarket for a hundred euros or something I bet). It makes more sense if you're riding 24/7 and can't mess up your fancy suit riding in the rain. They also had a ton of lap blankets that looked very cozy and comfortable. I assume they could be made in an electric version but none of them seemed to be. But imagine, riding in your scooter in a snow storm, snow tires on and your heated blanket on your lap.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Honda gyro, a good three wheeler, never forget

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I've always had sort of a soft spot for the Monotracer:

I always thought if you combined this overall design with the two-wheel front end from a MP3 you'd have the ultimate ultra-efficient car/cycle hybrid.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Honda gyro, a good three wheeler, never forget

Once worked on one of these that was set up as a pickup truck. It had a roof and windscreen (with a wiper) and a tiny little tilting flat bed you could put things both into and onto.

Was devastatingly slow though even for a fifty.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

fwiw, I saw a ton of scooters with covers over them a la that bmw (but 100% not - aftermarket for a hundred euros or something I bet). It makes more sense if you're riding 24/7 and can't mess up your fancy suit riding in the rain. They also had a ton of lap blankets that looked very cozy and comfortable. I assume they could be made in an electric version but none of them seemed to be. But imagine, riding in your scooter in a snow storm, snow tires on and your heated blanket on your lap.

Yeah, there's an Italian company that make both the most hilarious windscreens you've ever seen, that curve all the way up over the riser's head, and also a rag-top convertible roof built into an overheight topbox that could attach to it. I've not seen one on the roads of London since the late naughties, I think because the UK importer (Harry Nash in Chiswick, who were great people) closed down around then. Weirdly I never saw one on an MP3, which I'd have thought would have been a perfect platform for them.

Those blankets are great though, they really don't need to be heated because they're blocking so much airflow anyway - think of them as like bar muffs for your legs. There are a couple of scooters that actually have heater vents in the underbone which I'm sure can't be at all effective for warming you up normally but probably work amazingly well with those things.

(My most shameful secret is that I did actually commute for 3 months on a borrowed scooter when I was between bikes and my company suddenly moved from just around the corner from my house to somewhere requiring me to take the Northern Line in rush hour, and I'd have happily unicycled stark bollock naked the whole way there than face that poo poo)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Commuting via scooter is never shameful

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I rode one of those electric ride share scooters quite a bit over the last two months, because either my bicycle had a flat or I didn't feel like riding it (cold, raining, felt sick). They are terrible, but not terrible enough to stop me. The biggest problem by far is the grips, which feel like hard pieces of plastic that don't grip against my gloves at all. If I loosen my grip like I normally would, the throttle just twists shut. After a 2 mile ride I feel exhausted. The brakes and throttle are also terrible but I feel like that may be because of the target user, not necessarily a scooter thing.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

FBS posted:

I've always had sort of a soft spot for the Monotracer:

I always thought if you combined this overall design with the two-wheel front end from a MP3 you'd have the ultimate ultra-efficient car/cycle hybrid.

this looks like a slice of an Audi R10 (not a bad thing)

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

This all seems like a lot of work where if you just had a half-cylinder pod that actually covered your arms and side (instead of the one posted earlier that basically just covers your head and torso), but didn't restrict your legs, you could get a leg down and still stay almost entirely dry in the rain

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

oh also, while we're on the topic of weird motorcycle space pods, let's not forget the LIT C1

They're still developing that? I thought the company went bust. I vaguely remember their press copy from 10 years or so back claiming it could get T-boned at 30mph without falling over, which seems good if true.

It's cool imo as a single track vehicle for small car drivers, but it belongs to a different future where fuel efficiency is a thing people are allowed to care about without getting dragged into culture war bullshit. The future we live in is instead rife with impractically humongous unaerodynamic boxes that are the diametric opposite of the C1 in every way.

ADINSX posted:

This all seems like a lot of work where if you just had a half-cylinder pod that actually covered your arms and side (instead of the one posted earlier that basically just covers your head and torso), but didn't restrict your legs, you could get a leg down and still stay almost entirely dry in the rain

This is basically a dustbin fairing with an extended windscreen and everyone gets super tweaked about those for historical reasons that I'm not convinced are really applicable to practical road vehicles.

Anyway my pod bike hot take is there's actually no shame in stabiliser wheels and gyros represent a hopeless level of over-engineering. The only thing I'd like to see that nobody has yet added to one of these concepts is a built in jack arm to pick the thing up for me when it inevitably falls over despite everyone's good intentions.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 28, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

They're still developing that? I thought the company went bust.

The CEO/developer/etc is independently wealthy. Like most rich guy projects, I expect it won't ever go "bust," but since the guy in charge doesn't need it to succeed, there isn't much impetus to get it on the market.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They're still developing that? I thought the company went bust. I vaguely remember their press copy from 10 years or so back claiming it could get T-boned at 30mph without falling over, which seems good if true.

It's cool imo as a single track vehicle for small car drivers, but it belongs to a different future where fuel efficiency is a thing people are allowed to care about without getting dragged into culture war bullshit. The future we live in is instead rife with impractically humongous unaerodynamic boxes that are the diametric opposite of the C1 in every way.

This is basically a dustbin fairing with an extended windscreen and everyone gets super tweaked about those for historical reasons that I'm not convinced are really applicable to practical road vehicles.

Anyway my pod bike hot take is there's actually no shame in stabiliser wheels and gyros represent a hopeless level of over-engineering. The only thing I'd like to see that nobody has yet added to one of these concepts is a built in jack arm to pick the thing up for me when it inevitably falls over despite everyone's good intentions.

The dustbin fairing problem is definitely just a flap caused by the particular technological and racing conditions at the time leading to a hasty ban.

Modern GP bikes have pretty extreme aero that probably well exceeds the performance of the early basic dustbins. There's no doubt that they could build them to be quite stable today, even with the modern bikes' absurd speed, but I'm not sure if it would be enough to make up for the cornering deficiencies. Even the current crop of very tightly restricted aero, with only limited effects compared to the other parts of the equation, comes with a significant corner speed penalty that they're still trying to understand fully.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
For road going pod bikes the main point of aero is weather protection and fuel efficiency rather than speed imo, so I don't really see that as a problem this niche category of vehicle needs to solve.

Although tbh I think like a cb125 with an original vetter windjammer bodged onto it would hit like a 9.9/10 for me on both those points and also be much cheaper to put together, so shrug. Pod bikes are a fun armchair engineering diversion though

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

For road going pod bikes the main point of aero is weather protection and fuel efficiency rather than speed imo, so I don't really see that as a problem this niche category of vehicle needs to solve.

Although tbh I think like a cb125 with an original vetter windjammer bodged onto it would hit like a 9.9/10 for me on both those points and also be much cheaper to put together, so shrug. Pod bikes are a fun armchair engineering diversion though

Yeah but a bike like that would kill the owner the first time you went on the motorway on a windy day, you'd have to lengthen the swingarm by like a foot and even then you'd hit chassis stiffness issues.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Invalido posted:

I've never ever seen any of these:

I also strongly feel that three wheels is wrong and bad because wheels should always come in pairs unless it's a wheelbarrow. So pod bikes are cool I guess and I want to try one but not pay for one.

Ahh yes the Carver. The one pictured here is the new electric version and is limited to 45km/h. The original carver was gas powered:

It was also much more expensive and had a far more sophisticated suspension. Not sure if anyone is left from the original company or if this is someone using the name to get some of those sweet rear end EV credits.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't really understand what a leaning trike is meant to be for or what problem it solves? Seems like it's the worst of both worlds, like a can-am but in a different way.

Actually gently caress that I know exactly what it's for: making the design engineer feel like he's clever and actually accomplishing something.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Ah, the Buell Effect

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

Since you brought up Vetter

(I think I've posted this here before)

http://craigvetter.com/pages/470MPG/high%20mileage%20fairing.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Leaning is fun, that's it, that's the justification for having it.

Other than that, I don't see how any of those are better than Smart car

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Added a new one on the list of things to dodge on the highway, a shop vac

Pretty uneventful video available too but want to get my money's worth out of running a gopro constantly while riding!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ_3zl6Hl20

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hitting that would've sucked.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Free shop vac! Put it in the milk crate.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Oh the video (again pretty underwhelming though) I forgot to set to viewable and publish, should work now.

From a distance at first I thought it was a cement mixer coming detached, which really freaked me out.

Russian Bear posted:

Free shop vac! Put it in the milk crate.
:hmmyes: Gotta get a milk crate first though, wonder if I can find a white one to match my color scheme

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

Would have been abhorrent

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Would have to clean the pavement afterwards

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

RightClickSaveAs posted:

:hmmyes: Gotta get a milk crate first though, wonder if I can find a white one to match my color scheme

Just get any colour and leave it out in the sun.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Slavvy posted:

god dammit

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

:lol: I totally missed that the first time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've reached a higher plane of dad joke. Stealthdad.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

(it was really loving good)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

Once worked on one of these that was set up as a pickup truck. It had a roof and windscreen (with a wiper) and a tiny little tilting flat bed you could put things both into and onto.

Was devastatingly slow though even for a fifty.
I worked on a Tomos trike with an ice cream vendor freezer on the back, it topped out at about 12

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I worked on a Tomos trike with an ice cream vendor freezer on the back, it topped out at about 12

I feel like there’s something wrong with me for loving the idea of this so goddamn much.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I want a weird Indian Honda clone. I couldn't find the photo again but i also want the woven rug tank cover with tassels on all the edges

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

What kinda bike is this?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
A cool one. I saw them everywhere in mexico. IMO this should be the required truck for the first three years for anyone in the USA who insists they "need a truck". Then, after 3 year probationary period, they are allowed to take a CDL level test to allow them to maybe get like an f150 or something.

Oh and we should have UTEs with no license restrictions, OBV.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Coydog posted:

A cool one. I saw them everywhere in mexico. IMO this should be the required truck for the first three years for anyone in the USA who insists they "need a truck". Then, after 3 year probationary period, they are allowed to take a CDL level test to allow them to maybe get like an f150 or something.

Oh and we should have UTEs with no license restrictions, OBV.

This one was in Erbil, Kurdistan. High pressure was on the back of a small bike, cool idea and way more practical than 90% of pickups out there.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Paper busa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htResu21No4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

This is incredible.

Also poster/post combo A+.