Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

I'd reverse it. White fragility discussion is often the result of thought terminating behavior. When someone refuses to engage with concepts that find uncomfortable, or discussion of racism at a level beyond superficial, it's a form of oppression and putting limits on the range of accepted debate.

"That's white fragility" doesn't terminate any discussion unless you don't have a response to that, just like "that's racism" doesn't terminate a discussion, unless you are so uncomfortable with discussing racism that you need to eject when it's mentioned, which a lot of people are.

I often in conversations with conservatives on social media encounter termination of discussion when racism is brought up in the most gentle way possible. And keeping mind, these gentle approaches and terms are often there to help assuage the discomfort of the oppressor group.

Indeed, when I said I suspect that's not how it's normally used, I meant that it would probably not be used to shut down a robust and well considered argument. I imagine most uses are in very emotional and fraught exchanges. However, your claim that it doesn't terminate any discussion I must take issue with, since that would include one where it was a response to a substantive argument, and it would be shifting discussion away from the argument to the qualities of the person making it. Though I suppose that wouldn't truly be "terminating" thought completely, just terminating a particular line of it in favor of another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

mawarannahr posted:

I don’t like to leave without a contribution so here’s something current, lighthearted, and super hosed up that I think ought to be a laugh.

https://www.ft.com/content/77ee0d8d-bf74-4cc3-bde0-a064ce074726

I’m going to take a shower. Jesus Christ.
I've lived here for almost two decades and the influx of shitheads over the last few years has been unbelievable. Just a tidal wave of tremendous dipshits driving a great city into the shitter. It fuckin sucks.

I did have a lol at them solely interviewing people from Fisher Island, Venetians, and the Gables (for non-South Floridians: enclaves of super rich people). What, they couldn't rustle up someone from Star Island to chat with?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
RNC appears to now believe 1/6 was not Antifa

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1489670105768370177?s=20&t=Ms5GQUMzwI3NRrwJS3yNmw

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

PeterCat posted:

That's fine. Debates should be eliminated anyway. They're just a ratings grab by the networks, they're not equitable in anyway, and are just a way for candidates to get soundbites out there.

Yeah I said this before but debates are pure theater for the sake of tradition. All the candidates know what kinds of questions will get asked and they have teams of people who coach them on canned answers for everything. They all just tell you what they think you want to hear and once in a while try to get a zinger in for the reality tv watching crowd or whatever.

Also someone else pointed out that a recent proof of this was Kamala Harris saying "It was just a debate!" when called out for her actions not aligning with her most famous debate statement.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

PeterCat posted:

Yeah, I can't imagine why your dad would be pissed that you called him a lucky ducky for performing demeaning manual labor to feed you.

Please reconsider what you think privilege means.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Koos Group posted:

Indeed, when I said I suspect that's not how it's normally used, I meant that it would probably not be used to shut down a robust and well considered argument. I imagine most uses are in very emotional and fraught exchanges. However, your claim that it doesn't terminate any discussion I must take issue with, since that would include one where it was a response to a substantive argument, and it would be shifting discussion away from the argument to the qualities of the person making it. Though I suppose that wouldn't truly be "terminating" thought completely, just terminating a particular line of it in favor of another.

I think that both "white fragility" and "white privilege" are to some extent abstractions from the 'real' topic in order to cater to the sensibilities of whites, in other words to avoid discussion of the elephant that is "it's racism".

White privilege is basically talking about the fact that as a white person, we benefit from being white people in a white supremacist society despite the fact that we might not benefit as much as some, or the fact that we never asked for it. Another way to put it is "White privilege doesn't mean you can't be poor and white, it just means you're not poor because you're white" This talks to people about how they benefit from racism, and that makes people uncomfortable when again, it's just a way of saying "racism exists and you benefit from it".

White fragility is about how white people can't handle honest and uncomfortable discussions about race and often don't want to change that. So we use social power in order to change that discussion, or end that discussion. But in end it's just a way of saying "racism exists and as a white I'm going to use it to stop talking about it."

Both of these are a way to more gently approach the topic of racism in a way that doesn't upset, scare, or anger whites. But as we've seen some posters in this thread say, both of those terms tend to put whites on the defensive and people complain. But they're already compromised terms. Now we have a push to make them even gentler, but the truth is that talking about racism is uncomfortable, and especially so if you belong to the group doing the oppression. There's never going to be a terminology gentle enough to not trigger defensiveness in whites.

Lib and let die posted:

Yeah this is what I mean. The actual concept is "due to racism, we were poor but not as poor as we'd be if we were black". That's both anedotally and statistically true.

But that is also unlikely to get a good response from your father, so we try to abstract it a bit, and he finds a different way to get mad. But one even farther removed from the real concept, which is that racism exists and your family benefited from it.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 4, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

These two grafs from that FT Miami story were quite the wild ride:

quote:

Rabois has been searching his whole life for a place where his Nietzschean version of freedom would be embraced. He was an outsider in college, where he was an editor at the conservative Stanford Review. He was run out of Stanford Law School in 1992 for yelling “Hope you die of Aids” outside a lecturer’s home, transferring to Harvard Law School. An adviser to Dan Quayle’s presidential campaign, he didn’t fit in socially with many of his Silicon Valley colleagues. Miami, he now believes, is Silicon Valley in 1999.

Sitting in San Francisco at the beginning of Covid, Rabois and his husband did a “reference call” about Miami with Abraham, who talked them into moving. Rabois, a partner at Peter Thiel’s Founders Fund, moved to a $29mn house on the Venetian Islands, right near the two adjacent houses Thiel bought for $18mn.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Willa Rogers posted:

These two grafs from that FT Miami story were quite the wild ride:

Miami, notably one of the first likely mainland victims of Climate Change and Sea Level rise.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The Federal Reserve says that because the jobs numbers were so significant (including the revisions) and that real wages grew 5.7%, that they are likely going to be increasing the speed with which they raise rates and end quantitative easing throughout 2022.

Also, wage growth is likely to slow in the next few years (outside of the restaurant/service industry) because a large amount of wage growth was among older workers who are likely to be retiring soon. It will still likely remain above average, but real wage growth may or may not rise depending on what the actual rates for inflation and wage growth end up being.

That means that 2022 will likely see:

- Fewer jobs/business expansions (reducing the labor shortage and lowering the advantage employees have over employers currently).
- Faster falling inflation.
- More expensive new mortgages and credit card debt.
- Lower stock/commodity prices.
- Better interest on Treasury Bills, bonds, CDs, and savings accounts.

Edit:

Time to see if Avanetti was able to keep those jurors who deadlocked earlier on his side.

It will be amazing and damning at the same time, if he somehow did.

https://twitter.com/Lauren_delvalle/status/1489687868461232132

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 4, 2022

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Lib and let die posted:

You'd probably say my dad was privileged because he's a white guy from the midwest, even though growing up he had to share a bed with his 5 brothers and didn't have indoor plumbing till he was a teenager.

And if you're a white guy, how come you aren't getting over like your dad did?

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 4, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Federal Reserve says that because the jobs numbers were so significant (including the revisions) and that real wages grew 5.7%, that they are likely going to be increasing the speed with which they raise rates and end quantitative easing throughout 2022.

Also, wage growth is likely to slow in the next few years (outside of the restaurant/service industry) because a large amount of wage growth was among older workers who are likely to be retiring soon. It will still likely remain above average, but real wage growth may or may not rise depending on what the actual rates for inflation and wage growth end up being.

That means that 2022 will likely see:

- Fewer jobs/business expansions (reducing the labor shortage and lowering the advantage employees have over employers currently).
- Faster falling inflation.
- More expensive new mortgages and credit card debt.
- Lower stock/commodity prices.
- Better interest on Treasury Bills, bonds, CDs, and savings accounts.

Do we know that increasing rates will decrease inflation directly? It's extremely debatable whether current inflation is being caused by the ease of obtaining loans and increased money supply, as QE had basically no appreciable effect on inflation up until the supply chain crisis hit.

I remember reading an article here that the poultry industry has increased it's prices despite having no increase in overhead at all.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

PeterCat posted:

You'd probably say my dad was privileged because he's a white guy from the midwest, even though growing up he had to share a bed with his 5 brothers and didn't have indoor plumbing till he was a teenager.

He absolutely was. You don't understand the concept being talked about because it's been abstracted, and you're responding to a colloquial definition of privilege. It's similar to when people say evolution is "just a theory", you're talking past each other in terminology.

Lets put it this way. Would your dad's life have been harder if he was black?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

PeterCat posted:

That's fine. Debates should be eliminated anyway. They're just a ratings grab by the networks, they're not equitable in anyway, and are just a way for candidates to get soundbites out there.

Yeah I've never learned anything from a debate they just seem like spectacles.

Although it's weird Republicans are the ones who want to eliminate them when the Democrats keep nominating the charisma-free candidates. Like you'd think the time to do this was when the Democrats had Obama, and not a smug dumbass like Hillary or a confused dumbass like Biden

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jaxyon posted:

Do we know that increasing rates will decrease inflation directly? It's extremely debatable whether current inflation is being caused by the ease of obtaining loans and increased money supply, as QE had basically no appreciable effect on inflation up until the supply chain crisis hit.

I remember reading an article here that the poultry industry has increased it's prices despite having no increase in overhead at all.

The vast majority of current inflation is due to supply side issues. But, you can still use monetary policy to hurt demand and lower inflation.

They are estimating that roughly 0.8% to 1% of the 6.8% inflation rate is related to loose monetary policy. So, they could cover that portion, plus possibly even more if they really crush demand (they likely aren't going to go so hard that they artificially kill demand, but who knows!) Slower expansion and job creation will also slow down wage growth and inflation.

They will definitely slow inflation with rising rates, but how much is not really clear and depends on how high/quickly they raise them and what the broader economic trends at the time look like.

To get back to the Fed's dual-mandate goal of ~2% inflation, then they would need to reduce inflation overall by a little bit more than 4% total. Unless they really get aggressive and crush growth, then they will probably end up dropping the inflation rate 1-2% and inflation will continue to linger around 4-5% until the supply chain issues are fixed.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 4, 2022

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Jaxyon posted:

He absolutely was. You don't understand the concept being talked about because it's been abstracted, and you're responding to a colloquial definition of privilege. It's similar to when people say evolution is "just a theory", you're talking past each other in terminology.

Lets put it this way. Would your dad's life have been harder if he was black?

My dad made his living because he joined the military when he was 18. I've known plenty of successful black people his age from the midwest who did the same thing.

Let's put it this way, in Sioux City there's a large population of hispanics. They got their start being being brought in by IBP to break the meat packing union in 1980, but they've created a successful way of life there. If non-citizens who don't speak the language can make a successful life for themselves in the midwest, black people who were born there don't have an excuse since their status as citizens should put them ahead of the immigrants.

I did read Kendi's "How to be an anti-racist," and he'd use the excuse that immigrants work harder than people native to a place though.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Speaking of wild rides, some slides from the new Reuters/Ipsos poll.

New presidential low for Biden's approval ratings in this particular poll:

And it's mainly caused by Democratic voters' sentiments, although Biden's approvals are also dropping among independent voters (and slightly rising among Republican voters):

When presented with a menu of issues of concern to them, voters are still trusting their lying eyes over government-issued rosy economic news:

And if Democratic leaders are counting on ginning up votes for the midterms election by emphasizing 1/6 Never Forget :911: the poll has some bad news for them:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

PeterCat posted:

My dad made his living because he joined the military when he was 18. I've known plenty of successful black people his age from the midwest who did the same thing.

Let's put it this way, in Sioux City there's a large population of hispanics. They got their start being being brought in by IBP to break the meat packing union in 1980, but they've created a successful way of life there. If non-citizens who don't speak the language can make a successful life for themselves in the midwest, black people who were born there don't have an excuse since their status as citizens should put them ahead of the immigrants.

I did read Kendi's "How to be an anti-racist," and he'd use the excuse that immigrants work harder than people native to a place though.

Do you think systemic and institutional racism exist in any real way that affects working class people or is just "excuses"?

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

I think that both "white fragility" and "white privilege" are to some extent abstractions from the 'real' topic in order to cater to the sensibilities of whites, in other words to avoid discussion of the elephant that is "it's racism".

White privilege is basically talking about the fact that as a white person, we benefit from being white people in a white supremacist society despite the fact that we might not benefit as much as some, or the fact that we never asked for it. Another way to put it is "White privilege doesn't mean you can't be poor and white, it just means you're not poor because you're white" This talks to people about how they benefit from racism, and that makes people uncomfortable when again, it's just a way of saying "racism exists and you benefit from it".

White fragility is about how white people can't handle honest and uncomfortable discussions about race and often don't want to change that. So we use social power in order to change that discussion, or end that discussion. But in end it's just a way of saying "racism exists and as a white I'm going to use it to stop talking about it."

Both of these are a way to more gently approach the topic of racism in a way that doesn't upset, scare, or anger whites. But as we've seen some posters in this thread say, both of those terms tend to put whites on the defensive and people complain. But they're already compromised terms. Now we have a push to make them even gentler, but the truth is that talking about racism is uncomfortable, and especially so if you belong to the group doing the oppression. There's never going to be a terminology gentle enough to not trigger defensiveness in whites.

Yeah this is what I mean. The actual concept is "due to racism, we were poor but not as poor as we'd be if we were black". That's both anedotally and statistically true.

But that is also unlikely to get a good response from your father, so we try to abstract it a bit, and he finds a different way to get mad. But one even farther removed from the real concept, which is that racism exists and your family benefited from it.

I'm having a hard time understanding what this has to do with what I was saying, so I fear we might be talking past each other at this point. If you'd like to continue this conversation, I'd ask you to put my last post in your own words so we can be sure we're on the same page. If it helps, my last post was only meant to rebut the specific phrase of yours that I mentioned, and not anything else you had to say about the idea of white fragility.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Looks like the one juror who really didn't think Avanetti should get convicted cracked:

quote:

Prosecutors alleged that Avenatti -- who helped negotiate the $800,000 advance for Daniels' October 2018 book "Full Disclosure" -- defrauded his former client by instructing her literary agent to send two of the installments of the advance totaling nearly $300,000 to an account controlled by him, rather than directly to Daniels, without her knowledge.

The verdict came after an eventful day when the jury asked the judge for help, saying one of the 12 was "acting on a feeling" and not considering evidence.

"We have one juror who is refusing to look at evidence and is acting on a feeling. We need assistance on moving forward. She does not believe she needs to prove her side using evidence and refuses to show us how she has come to her conclusion," the note said, according to Judge Jesse Furman.

"Please help us move forward not going on any evidence, all emotions and does not understand this job of a jury," the note added, with the word "please" underlined.

Avenatti moved for a mistrial arguing that the jury is clearly deadlocked, and any further instruction or action would be coercive.

Furman considered the motion but denied it saying, "I don't think we're there yet."

Avenatti opposed some wording in the instruction telling the judge it could "appear to convince a potential hold-out juror for acquittal." The judge noted Avenatti's assumption that the jury was leaning to convict him and said they had no way of knowing the jury split.

The jury has been deliberating since Wednesday.

Furman also denied prosecutors' request to ask the jury foreperson to identify the holdout juror so the court may consider remedies including dismissal of that juror for refusing to deliberate.

Just before noon, the judge brought the jury into the courtroom to instruct jurors of their duties to deliberate based on the evidence and charge them to continue pushing forward. The instruction in part reminded jurors they are not "to be swayed by sympathy or emotion" when considering evidence to reach a verdict.

In the interview, Daniels said she was "flabbergasted" that the jury was still deliberating and speculated there could be some bias against her for her work in the adult film industry and belief in paranormal activity.

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1489692068951777283

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

PeterCat posted:

How many black people were in the union at the time at the curiosity? How many were hired by the plant?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Koos Group posted:

I'm having a hard time understanding what this has to do with what I was saying, so I fear we might be talking past each other at this point. If you'd like to continue this conversation, I'd ask you to put my last post in your own words so we can be sure we're on the same page. If it helps, my last post was only meant to rebut the specific phrase of yours that I mentioned, and not anything else you had to say about the idea of white fragility.

I think I shouldn't have quoted you in that post because it's not a direct response to you, it's more about thoughts I had about the terms and wanted to write about.

For your specific post:

Koos Group posted:

I suppose in a hypothetical situation where someone gave a substantive argument and the reply was simply "Lol fragility" or whatever, that's certainly a lazy response and not meeting effort with effort, but not really "terminating" beyond the basic disrespect involved with a 1 word response to effort-based argument.

But I don't see how it's terminating if it's an accurate summary. To use a very exaggerated example, if someone gave a long, substantive argument as CalmHitler about how we must secure the existence of the white race, a reply of "this is just racism" would be accurate, and not terminating. But it also touches on the qualities of the person making it, who is racist or at least pushing an argument based on racism.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

I think I shouldn't have quoted you in that post because it's not a direct response to you, it's more about thoughts I had about the terms and wanted to write about.

For your specific post:

I suppose in a hypothetical situation where someone gave a substantive argument and the reply was simply "Lol fragility" or whatever, that's certainly a lazy response and not meeting effort with effort, but not really "terminating" beyond the basic disrespect involved with a 1 word response to effort-based argument.

But I don't see how it's terminating if it's an accurate summary. To use a very exaggerated example, if someone gave a long, substantive argument as CalmHitler about how we must secure the existence of the white race, a reply of "this is just racism" would be accurate, and not terminating. But it also touches on the qualities of the person making it, who is racist or at least pushing an argument based on racism.

Yes, "terminating" wouldn't be the most precise term, as I said. It would be more of a shift of topic, as thought would continue but not along the same lines. So we appear to be in agreement there. Anyway, do you know why there are several spaces between your sentences when quoting or editing your posts, but not in the thread itself?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Koos Group posted:

Yes, "terminating" wouldn't be the most precise term, as I said. It would be more of a shift of topic, as thought would continue but not along the same lines. So we appear to be in agreement there. Anyway, do you know why there are several spaces between your sentences when quoting or editing your posts, but not in the thread itself?

Vertically or horizontally? I still do the typing class "double space after a period" thing but I'm trying to break myself out of that.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Congressional staff are attempting to unionize.

Pelosi and Schumer support.

There is one twist that should not come as a surprise to anyone, though:

It would require legislation and Republican Senators have said that they don't want their staff unionized. It is subject to a filibuster.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1489652747410489352

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

Vertically or horizontally? I still do the typing class "double space after a period" thing but I'm trying to break myself out of that.

Horizontally. in this post there are three, and in the last post there were four and five. Doesn't really matter, I was just curious.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Congressional staff are attempting to unionize.

Pelosi and Schumer support.

There is one twist that should not come as a surprise to anyone, though:

It would require legislation and Republican Senators have said that they don't want their staff unionized. It is subject to a filibuster.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1489652747410489352

Any idea what would require this to need legislation passed to go into effect versus anybody else who can just request a vote with sufficient support from the NLRB? I assume it's something arcane with budgeting or unique status of the people being organized but the article doesn't specify.

It'd be wild how insane people would get if they took to heart the mantra of Big Bill and just stuck their hands in their pockets until they got what they wanted, probably 2nd only to any big chunk of the transport sector, but there's probably enough ideological vetting up to that point to make that unlikely

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Epic High Five posted:

Any idea what would require this to need legislation passed to go into effect versus anybody else who can just request a vote with sufficient support from the NLRB? I assume it's something arcane with budgeting or unique status of the people being organized but the article doesn't specify.

It'd be wild how insane people would get if they took to heart the mantra of Big Bill and just stuck their hands in their pockets until they got what they wanted, probably 2nd only to any big chunk of the transport sector, but there's probably enough ideological vetting up to that point to make that unlikely

Congressional staff wages and benefits are set by law.

They would have to pass legislation allowing staff benefits and salaries to be determined via contract and find a way to appropriate money for that amount each year without requiring new authorizations.

Otherwise, they could "approve" a union contract, but it could just never pass.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

They would have to pass legislation allowing staff benefits and salaries to be determined via contract and find a way to appropriate money for that amount each year without requiring new authorizations.

Ah that makes sense then, thanks. That's a really tough spot to start from, godspeed to them

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Epic High Five posted:

Ah that makes sense then, thanks. That's a really tough spot to start from, godspeed to them

They are doing this following the DNC staff unionizing. There has been some talk about an unofficial union if they can't get a bill passed, but the obvious problems with that would be that they couldn't actually get any net increase in compensation and if you work for a Republican member of congress (or a Democratic member who didn't want to participate), then you just don't get to be a part of it.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Amazon Prime's hiking the cost of its service to $139/year very soon, an increase of 17 percent.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I guess it’s good that mine renewed last month already

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

One weird trick to stop your workers from unionizing: Make it illegal

Unions hate it!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Looks like we just got our first official confirmation that Mike Pence doesn't plan to run for President in 2024.

We're down to DeSantis, Cruz, Trump (maybe), Haley (maybe), Cotton, Hogan, and Noem (maybe) now.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1489701094385229826

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I can't wait to see Pence shake hands with dems at the 2nd anniversary of 1/6.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Alabama officials receive complaints about Black History Month as state debates CRT legislation

quote:

As Alabama lawmakers look to take up multiple bills in the coming weeks that would ban divisive concepts associated with critical race theory, Alabama Superintendent Eric Mackey on Wednesday told members of the House Education Policy Committee people are confused about what CRT is.

Mackey said he is hearing from people who call to report CRT being taught, but when state officials investigate, they find no evidence.

”There are people out there who don’t understand what CRT is. And so in their misunderstanding of it, they make a report but it’s not actually CRT.”

“I had two calls in the last week that they’re having a Black History Month program and they consider having a Black history program CRT,” Mackey said. “Having a Black history program is not CRT.”[note: My emphasis]

The state board of education in August approved a resolution banning the teaching of divisive concepts in the wake of a national reckoning against critical race theory. The state has also been asked to investigate at least one other alleged violation of the new policy, after a parent complained about a Huntsville teacher diversity training.

Rep. Terri Collins, R-Decatur, chairs the committee and asked committee members on both sides of the aisle to bring someone who could talk about what they think CRT is and what it is not.

“My goal in this conversation” she said, “was that my education policy committee and anybody that wanted to join were able to come and hear maybe different sides of an issue.”

The three presenters, Max Eden from the American Enterprise Institute, Earl Tilford, Director of Alabamians for Academic Excellence and Integrity, and Auburn University Professor Carey Andrzejewski, agreed that critical race theory is a scholarly concept used to explain how structural racism has influenced different institutions in America.

The speakers, however, disagreed about the academic theory’s presence in Alabama education. Both Mackey and Andrzejewski said CRT is not present in Alabama classrooms.

Rep. Ed Oliver, R-Dadeville, has filed a bill, HB9, to ban divisive concepts from being used in trainings conducted by state agencies and contractors. He continually claimed CRT was being taught in Alabama’s K-12 classrooms, but did not provide any specific examples for his assertions.

“I can tell you what’s in the state curriculum,” Mackey responded. “I can tell you what’s in our textbooks and CRT is not in there.”

“If somebody does that and steps outside of what’s acceptable and what’s in the approved curriculum,” Mackey said, “that there are some measures that can take place.”

Eden, who lives in Virginia, similarly claimed CRT, through activism by teachers, is present in practices like culturally relevant pedagogy. He referenced scholars Kimberle Crenshaw and Richard Delgado – a University of Alabama law professor – and said he believes the definition of racism has changed over time and that scholars’ work now influences teachers who believe they are fighting racism, but are not.

“If you kind of traced these words, that had become so divisive, you can trace them from this initial legal theory to all sorts of things that are parts of schools, education and professional development seminars, a lot of education, newspapers,” Eden said, though he did not provide specific examples. “The original kind of legal philosophic concept was entirely against the, you know, the American order or the 14th amendment or the civil rights or on the theory that what we perceive to be great advances towards equality, were actually things that serve to kind of further entrench the hegemony of white supremacy.”

Delgado discussed the national controversy over CRT, which he has studied for 50 years, with AL.com last summer. He said he believed legislators trying to ban the theory were ignorant of its actual tenets, and called it a “name for everything they love to hate.”

Andrzejewski – who teaches pre-service teachers – said teachers do not use critical race theory in the classroom.

“CRT is focused on patterns and systems at the aggregate and bird’s eye view level. It is not about individuals, nor is it meant to draw attention to any one person or any one person’s actions. It’s not intended to create guilt or shame. It’s not inherently divisive,” she said. “In fact, in some contexts, it’s been used to draw people together to focus on issues we all care very much about, like liberty, opportunity, justice. And I think the most important thing to realize is that CRT does not cover all conversations about race, racism, diversity, equity, or inclusion, that we have lots of productive conversations about those topics that certainly don’t fall within the umbrella of CRT.”

She referenced a concept that she does discuss with teachers; culturally relevant pedagogy is an instructional concept that asks teachers to account for and learn from different students’ social backgrounds.

“The rationale for [culturally relevant pedagogy] is that research is clear that teachers who are responsive to the individual students in front of them have better outcomes,” Andrzejewski said. “They have better outcomes. Their children learn more. And the tenets of culturally responsive pedagogy are focused on relationships, the real world, and rigor.”

Tilford called CRT “Orwellian,” saying it seeks to elevate previously marginalized groups and discounts personal achievement, which, he said “varies among individuals and groups due to differences in human capabilities, training and education.”

“In CRT world,” Tilford said, “equity means persons in protected classes must be proportionately represented to achieve equitable outcomes.”

Department of Archives Director Steve Murray spoke about what he has witnessed while helping social studies and history teachers in K-12 schools.

“We have never encountered an Alabama educator who seeks to use history or civics to set one group of Alabama students against another or to teach them to hate their country.”

Rep. Bob Fincher, R-Rocky Branch, a former high school history teacher, asked whether CRT could make students feel bad.

“Are we going to make certain students with our classes feel uncomfortable or feel lesser than someone else by use of this critical race theory?”

‘Open dialogue’

After the meeting, “My concern,” Oliver said, “is people that are well meaning or some maybe not well meaning that have an activist bent who want to do nice and wonderful things that they believe are important would go down that road of divisive language.”

When asked if the discussion was helpful, Oliver, who said another CRT bill is in the works, said “No, but I think it’s important we have it and everybody looks at each other.”

Collins said the jury was still out on whether any minds were changed.

“I feel like we moved the ball down the road in that we all had open dialogue,” she said. “I don’t know that we’ll ever be all on the same side. I doubt that seriously. But we opened up the conversation. And I hope that it was helpful.”

Minority House Leader Anthony Daniels, D-Huntsville, said he didn’t feel much was accomplished.

“I think that the intent is not to actually learn what CRT is or what it is not,” he told AL.com. “The intent is to continue the distraction and the divisive tone of driving fear on an issue that there’s no clarity being provided about.”

As expected, people are complaining about the very mention of race being CRT, because that's what they already knew the CRT argument was about. They never cared about what it actually means.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Man, I forgot about the Avenatti hero worship that went on for a minute back in the day till I saw this flashback.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

People should have been more suspicious when Avenatti was flying around looking like Lex Luthor there

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

Man, I forgot about the Avenatti hero worship that went on for a minute back in the day till I saw this flashback.

The Mueller hero worship was so much weirder, Mueller was already a public liar who helped deceive congress and the American people into an illegal war, at least Avenatti was an unknown lawyer who got famous for dunking on Trump on social media.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

Nicole Wallace regularly floated him as a potential dark horse presidential candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

The Mueller hero worship was so much weirder, Mueller was already a public liar who helped deceive congress and the American people into an illegal war, at least Avenatti was an unknown lawyer who got famous for dunking on Trump on social media.

And then there was the Cuomo worship for being marginally less terrible than Trump in handling covid even though he still did a terrible job and did other bad things too.

Starting to think that propping up individuals as heroes for taking a mild stand against the freakin orange cheeto might have been a mistake!