Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PrusaSlicer's profiles are just really well tuned. This makes sense, because they have a vested interest in having their machines print as well as possible out of the box. Any machine with a 1.75mm direct extruder and a 0.4mm nozzle can use them, and bowden machines should work well too with maybe some adjustment to the retraction settings. I suppose in theory you can get the same results from Cura, but why would you bother when PrusaSlicer is right there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
aside from a couple niche instances, Cura has worked utterly fine for me. :iiam:

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
To be fair, I was just calling out some things that stood out to me. My real suggestion was to dump the whole profile for whatever the default settings for. .2 layer with a . 4 nozzle.

It's my base profile and outside of changing temps and specific speeds, it's my go to. CHEP has some nice settings on adjusting wall overlap to make things smoother

Other then infill %, temp, and some minor settings around ironing I'm cool with the default. But I am desperate to switch to super slicer once I get my Ercd up and eunning

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Does anyone have any personal experience with the new DLP anycubic photon ultra printer? I'm just super curious about how the printer feels.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Roundboy posted:

To be fair, I was just calling out some things that stood out to me. My real suggestion was to dump the whole profile for whatever the default settings for. .2 layer with a . 4 nozzle.

It's my base profile and outside of changing temps and specific speeds, it's my go to. CHEP has some nice settings on adjusting wall overlap to make things smoother

Other then infill %, temp, and some minor settings around ironing I'm cool with the default. But I am desperate to switch to super slicer once I get my Ercd up and eunning

What does super slicer offer exactly. Prusaslicer has already felt leaps and bounds above the other garbage Ive been using

I know as far as vorons go it's been highly recommended, but prusaslicer already seems configurable as all hell

Zedri Edfly
Dec 4, 2005

An appropriate response to reality

w00tmonger posted:

What does super slicer offer exactly. Prusaslicer has already felt leaps and bounds above the other garbage Ive been using

I know as far as vorons go it's been highly recommended, but prusaslicer already seems configurable as all hell

I don't have much experience with prusaslicer but Superslicer is way way better than Cura, Slic3r, or Simplify. The calibration tools are ready useful, especially if you're having issues and / or need to learn the basics. I guess it has more granular controls than prusa and more of an open source community.

https://github.com/AndrewEllis93/Ellis-PIF-Profile is built for a voron but I toned jt down slightly and it works amazing on a direct drive but otherwise stock ender 3. I'm now getting better quality printing PETG at 120+mm/s than I was previously with PLA at sub 60.

I also switched to Klipper and Fluidd and they are worlds better than marlin/octopi. Pressure advance and resonance compensation are amazing, easy recompile is very useful, and Fluidd is way way smoother and sensibly designed than octo. I don't know why they have this rep as being hard to install or only for speed nerd printers. Just get fluiddpi and print at normal speeds till you calibrate everything and you'll have a much better experience and be able to troubleshoot and adjust more more rapidly.

Ender gantry guy, I truly feel your pain, but take this advice in addition to the excellent bits posted by Nero and others:

- Ditch the BL touch. It caused me endless frustration and it's only complicating your troubleshooting. Learn to get really good at manual leveling.
- Install Superslicer and Fluiddpi and follow all the instructions. Do all the Superslicer calibrations till your prints are near perfect, then do pressure advance and resonance comp.
- If you're still convinced your hardware is hosed up, design/print things that are specifically made to test your theories, one variable at a time. In my experience, you shoot yourself in the glans fiddling with hardware and breaking / misalignjng poo poo that was actually a leveling/temp/flow/slicer problem
- Use the tune menu in the printer to troubleshoot mid print, stare at the layers obsessively. Even after calibrations you'll need to tune in slicer/printer to optimize specific prints/materials.
- Don't touch any "advanced" settings or surface quality things till you have perfect extrusion throughout the print.
- Don't get dual z. I guarantee it's not the root of your issues and it'll just drive you battier. The ender gantry isn't ideal but its issues are way overstated
- Don't just print endless benchmarks and tests; print things you like of a variety of shapes and tolerances.

I'm not going to speculate on your exact problems cuz there are a few interconnected ones that you can only solve with procedural tuning. https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/ is a great resource.

Hope this helps. After having a lot of trouble and just haplessly changing random variables forever, I am astonished how reliably well my ender is performing after following these tactics.

Zedri Edfly fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Feb 4, 2022

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

w00tmonger posted:

I had been using PrusaSlicer for years, a colleague at work pointed me at SuperSlicer, and there were a few things that stood out.

- Thin wall handling that was better than anything else I'd tried.
- Excellent in-built calibration tests.
- It's still mostly PrusaSlicer, minus some of the warts.
- Some neat brim features that are handy.
- And some ability to do neat things with internal holes and so on that help if you're needing to change a hole size.

If you've never sat there wishing PrusaSlicer had a feature, then just like I say about Marlin don't bother switching. But I kept running into little things I was looking for which SuperSlicer solved for me. The author will take the time to explain slicer principles if you ask a considered question which has enhanced my understanding of printing substantially.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Prusaslicer has open feature requests and issues from ~4 years ago that haven't been touched, and a lot of them are fixed in superslicer. Honestly I think it's worth getting to know all the big slicers because they have fairly distinct strengths and weaknesses. If just one works for you all the time, that's awesome but that's certainly not the case for me.

e: I'm still mad that Kisslicer is more or less abandoned, and equally mad that other slicers haven't taken the Kisslicer approach to seams.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 4, 2022

insta
Jan 28, 2009
And I still want Simplify3D's rafts on SuSi or PrusaSlicer :oldmancloud:

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Cura has better support handling , and the ability to place user directed supports (or remove them) on portions of the model. Also, with tedious work lets you use different settings for portions of the model. ex the top and bottom of a model has 75% infill, and the center is 10%, etc. Superslicer did just also update to have brims only on specific portions on the model. Think back to those large articulated slugs we all printed. The two antenna made me use a brim to keep them on the plate, but i hated using it for the whole slug. This lets me only use it where i want it

That being said. superslicer is a more often updated fork of prusasclier, and I am trying to switch over for how it separated profiles between printers and materials. With cura it saves based on layer height. I would need to duplicate the whole thing to have a .2 profile for pla vs petg vs even another PLA type. Supeslicer would let me keep all my settings for speed, etc and when i switch pla types it would only change the temp like i want.

I know its in prusa, hopefully superslicer where you can paint the rendered model with the color you want, and when you have multiple extruders it will use the color depending. I think previously multimaterial was done when you create the model, but i have never done it so i am admittedly a novice there. The enraged rabbit carrot feeder is in my near future to build and try. But in the meantime i have resolved to buy a spool of each color i want and be more aggressive on switching, rather then just print everything out in the color i just happen to have loaded.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Friend wants to get timelapses working on Klipper/Mainsail. Messaged me earlier asking whether the macro "TIMELAPSE_TAKE_FRAME" would be the right one. I mean, we're German speaking, but he knows enough English to parse that one. Why do these people do DIY stuff with software and/or electronics?!

insta posted:

And I still want Simplify3D's rafts on SuSi or PrusaSlicer :oldmancloud:
This is a common request. Why isn't it happening, anyway? It's not like they've got it patented.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 4, 2022

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Roundboy posted:

Also, with tedious work lets you use different settings for portions of the model. ex the top and bottom of a model has 75% infill, and the center is 10%, etc.

Pretty sure this is in PrusaSlicer as well and has been since early 2020 (https://help.prusa3d.com/en/article/modifiers_1767/#height-range-modifier)?

Zedri Edfly
Dec 4, 2005

An appropriate response to reality

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Pretty sure this is in PrusaSlicer as well and has been since early 2020 (https://help.prusa3d.com/en/article/modifiers_1767/#height-range-modifier)?

Yeah, super slicer also has support painting which imo is nicer than cura's. I do wish it had tree support. Overall I'd say Cura has more features but super handles the fundamentals better and the interface/profiles are more sensible, as roundboy said.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Friend wants to get timelapses working on Klipper/Mainsail. Messaged me earlier asking whether the macro "TIMELAPSE_TAKE_FRAME" would be the right one. I mean, we're German speaking, but he knows enough English to parse that one. Why do these people do DIY stuff with software and/or electronics?!

This is a common request. Why isn't it happening, anyway? It's not like they've got it patented.

I think S3D (and Cura, similarly) have special "raft" code. Slic3r (and derivatives) just loft the model by X layers and use regular support generation underneath it, and assume that's good enough. It's a really stupid method.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

PrusaSlicer's profiles are just really well tuned. This makes sense, because they have a vested interest in having their machines print as well as possible out of the box. Any machine with a 1.75mm direct extruder and a 0.4mm nozzle can use them, and bowden machines should work well too with maybe some adjustment to the retraction settings.

The Prusa Mini is a single-gear-extruder bowden machine so I'd assume that you could also get suitable retraction settings by starting with the Mini profile rather than the Mk3 one.

Roundboy posted:

Cura has better support handling , and the ability to place user directed supports (or remove them) on portions of the model. Also, with tedious work lets you use different settings for portions of the model. ex the top and bottom of a model has 75% infill, and the center is 10%, etc. Superslicer did just also update to have brims only on specific portions on the model. Think back to those large articulated slugs we all printed. The two antenna made me use a brim to keep them on the plate, but i hated using it for the whole slug. This lets me only use it where i want it

I know its in prusa, hopefully superslicer where you can paint the rendered model with the color you want, and when you have multiple extruders it will use the color depending. I think previously multimaterial was done when you create the model, but i have never done it so i am admittedly a novice there. The enraged rabbit carrot feeder is in my near future to build and try. But in the meantime i have resolved to buy a spool of each color i want and be more aggressive on switching, rather then just print everything out in the color i just happen to have loaded.

The stuff I've hilighted is in PrusaSlicer, so I assume it's in SuperSlicer as well.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You should not have to be using rafts in 2022. Get a PEI bed and level it properly.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

You should not have to be using rafts in 2022. Get a PEI bed and level it properly.

untrue..

Well true in that you can just as easily use a brim, rafts are overkill unless you have issues with curling and cooling. But a PEI bed will never magically solve physics of small parts that barely touch the bed

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I'm printing PEI, I'm not going to print that ON PEI. I knew that lovely reply was coming. Everybody's use case is not yours.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

insta posted:

I'm printing PEI, I'm not going to print that ON PEI. I knew that lovely reply was coming. Everybody's use case is not yours.

If you are printing engineering superpolymers, your use case is so far outside everyone else's that you might as well not even mention it. Of course you are going to have to have an unusual setup. Please qualify why you need to do those things, so that newbies don't get the idea that they should start loving with stuff right out of the box because "well, the experts seem to be doing it this other way."

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Yeah, specifically calling PEI instead of just "have a properly flat bed of the right material for your use-case" is technically incorrect but the basic point is still true.

Remember when people were printing things like this to test their bed adhesion setup/method?

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

If you are printing engineering superpolymers, your use case is so far outside everyone else's that you might as well not even mention it. Of course you are going to have to have an unusual setup. Please qualify why you need to do those things, so that newbies don't get the idea that they should start loving with stuff right out of the box because "well, the experts seem to be doing it this other way."

I print commercially, and sometimes people want parts in Ultem or PSU. So, my use-case is "use SuSi with the S3D raft so I can slather a bunch of bed adhesive onto a CF plate and hope the poo poo sticks down". I have a need for rafts, and I was just lamenting that S3D / Cura have good rafts, and SuSi is better at everything else. I wanted the best of both worlds, sorry if it was such a stupid ask.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think that's cool and good.

I guess I am also just immediately triggered by people saying "boy, I wish I could change $THING on my machine, how do I do that?" when $THING is not something that 99% of people should be touching, and the only reason they only want to do it because they read it on a Facebook group and it's just cargo cult poo poo with no basis in reality and their problem is coming from somewhere else. Or maybe they don't even have a problem at all, and they just can't help loving with the machine like it's an Android phone with a custom ROM.

Someone new to 3D printing should just get PrusaSlicer and use the stock profiles and not change anything until they know what they're doing. If a newbie comes in here and lurks and sees people saying "yeah, I don't like PrusaSlicer, I have to use SuperSlicer for its rafts and Cura for its whatever" -- without qualifying that you need rafts because you are commercially printing superpolymers that they don't even know exist -- they might start thinking "hmm, I should do that too!" and gently caress everything up for themselves.

You see the same thing in every field. In the motorcycle forum it's people coming in with a Ninja 250 and asking what new exhaust system and suspension upgrades they need to make, because they've seen serious racers talking about that. NONE! Don't change a thing! Just ride the loving bike (or print with the loving printer) and deal with problems if you have them.

So in your case do what you need to do. I think that given the context of the thread, which is like 20% experts and 80% "why are there lines in my benchy," it's good to qualify any unusual things you're doing with the reason you're doing them, so that the newbies don't start copying them for no reason.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
So.. Paint on supports, are in PrusaSlicer, SuperSlicer got them FROM PrusaSlicer.

The next revision of PrusaSlicer has been demonstrated to have ~really good~ raft and support interfaces. The support interfaces in cura is roughly the only reason I still have any sort of attraction to it. And.. tree supports. Prusaslicer does not do that well. "yet".

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Anyone have a recommendation for a transparent filament, or just grab whatever has decent reviews on amazon?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

natural PETG, and it won't be at all transparent when you're done with it

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

BMan posted:

natural PETG, and it won't be at all transparent when you're done with it

Yeah, just looking for something that’ll let colored LEDs shine through

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Toebone posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a transparent filament, or just grab whatever has decent reviews on amazon?

https://taulman3d.com/t-glase-spec.html

Fair warning, it is pricy.

https://taulman3d.com/buy-direct.html (scroll down to the T-glase listing)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Ive had good luck with jessie PLA in quarter white for nice diffusers.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

At the risk of causing another fight in this thread, who is your US go-to non-amazon filament place? I don't want to fund more dick rockets for that bald gently caress with my like 25 dollar purchases.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Nerobro posted:

So.. Paint on supports, are in PrusaSlicer, SuperSlicer got them FROM PrusaSlicer.

The next revision of PrusaSlicer has been demonstrated to have ~really good~ raft and support interfaces. The support interfaces in cura is roughly the only reason I still have any sort of attraction to it. And.. tree supports. Prusaslicer does not do that well. "yet".

Re SuperSlicer, it's worth noting code is brought in from PrusaSlicer updates, and I believe code has gone the other way too. They're not so different as to be on their own. It's one of the things I think worthwhile about the effort.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Man, is there anyway to draw z seam in a straight line on Prusaslicer?

Tried using the cutaway feature, but still comes out like I am currently having a stronk.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Sagebrush posted:

they just can't help loving with the machine like it's an Android phone with a custom ROM.
This is me.

Zedri Edfly posted:

Ender gantry guy, I truly feel your pain, but take this advice in addition to the excellent bits posted by Nero and others:

- Ditch the BL touch. It caused me endless frustration and it's only complicating your troubleshooting. Learn to get really good at manual leveling.
- Install Superslicer and Fluiddpi and follow all the instructions. Do all the Superslicer calibrations till your prints are near perfect, then do pressure advance and resonance comp.
- If you're still convinced your hardware is hosed up, design/print things that are specifically made to test your theories, one variable at a time. In my experience, you shoot yourself in the glans fiddling with hardware and breaking / misalignjng poo poo that was actually a leveling/temp/flow/slicer problem
- Use the tune menu in the printer to troubleshoot mid print, stare at the layers obsessively. Even after calibrations you'll need to tune in slicer/printer to optimize specific prints/materials.
- Don't touch any "advanced" settings or surface quality things till you have perfect extrusion throughout the print.
- Don't get dual z. I guarantee it's not the root of your issues and it'll just drive you battier. The ender gantry isn't ideal but its issues are way overstated
- Don't just print endless benchmarks and tests; print things you like of a variety of shapes and tolerances.

I'm not going to speculate on your exact problems cuz there are a few interconnected ones that you can only solve with procedural tuning. https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/ is a great resource.

Hope this helps. After having a lot of trouble and just haplessly changing random variables forever, I am astonished how reliably well my ender is performing after following these tactics.

After the past couple of days of printing and advice from everyone else here I'm not going to go dual Z nor do I think the hardware is the problem (at most maybe the lead screw is slightly bent). I think a large part of the problem I was running into was that I had been modifying my slicer settings here and there for the past couple years, but never having a baseline "this is consistently decent" cura profile to fall back on if I hosed something up. So I was always changing things here and there to fit a specific use case, forgetting about it, and then going "why is this printing like poo poo all of the time?"

For now I'm using just the baseline prusaslicer settings for an Ender and everything seems fine so far. I've got a couple maintenance prints to make to clean up the messy cable management, stick the SKR in a new box, probably re-print another HeroMe as the current one has a couple of cracks and layer separations in it and then I'll move on to Fluidd + Klipper and tune for that.

At the end of the day, this isn't a production printer. It's just a hobby thing that lets me print out parts I need for small home improvement projects or little knick knacks around the house. I'll never need to print in anything more exotic than PETG or TPU for 95% of my applications. So my end goal is just to get it to a point where if I leave it for a month then I'm just a bed level and maybe a couple config changes away from having decent quality prints without having to hear to top end apart or re-compile Marlin or something.

The only real upgrade I may make in the future is putting in an all-metal hotend so I can run at 230-250 consistently to print in PETG and TPU without cooking the PTFE tube and releasing a bunch of neurotoxins. But again, that's only something I've heard is a concern. But it is one I would rather not push my luck on.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 4, 2022

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Droogie posted:

At the risk of causing another fight in this thread, who is your US go-to non-amazon filament place? I don't want to fund more dick rockets for that bald gently caress with my like 25 dollar purchases.

You can always shop directly with the manufacturer. These are all places I've bought from before and they all have similar quality filament. Just watch for who has the best sale at a given time/who sends the best discount code in email.

https://www.hatchbox3d.com/collections/shop-all

https://www.villageplastics.com/store/

https://www.3dfuel.com/

https://www.monofilamentdirect.com/

Also Printed Solid has a line of filament but you need to specifically go here for it: https://www.printedsolid.com/collections/jessie to avoid accidentally buying someone else's filament.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

snail posted:

Re SuperSlicer, it's worth noting code is brought in from PrusaSlicer updates, and I believe code has gone the other way too. They're not so different as to be on their own. It's one of the things I think worthwhile about the effort.
Superslicer is something weird to me. I wonder how long they'll keep it up, because the changesets of major PrusaSlicer releases are loving huge and wide, the same time Superslicer's amount of changes are also fairly wide. It's gotta be a pain in the rear end to port the changes every major release, because Prusa can essentially pull the rug from under them in a thousand and one places by means of large code rewrites/overhauls.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Toebone posted:

Yeah, just looking for something that’ll let colored LEDs shine through

Plain old clear PETG will be best. It's water-clear with no tint. The thicker the layers, the more transparent the printed part will be. With fine layers you'll tend to get a frosted effect, while with thick layers it will start to look more like a car taillight lens.

For some reason, all the clear PETG I've bought has printed best at a lower temperature than colored stuff. Maybe the pigment does something to it, or they have to use a different blend to make it really clear, or idk. About 210-212C in my case vs 230 ish for colored filament.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I've had good luck with both transparent PLA and PETG. The PLA is super brittle, though.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Droogie posted:

My $90 10 pack from gst3d has been reasonably solid for the price, though I do keep a couple $20 hatchbox rolls around for important stuff.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Hatchbox won't ship to Canada and the stuff on amazon.ca is $60/roll.

Fortunately filaments.ca and Spool3D make fairly decent stuff in in my experience.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Droogie posted:

I like to buy jessia pla from printedsolid.com and polymaker filaments direct from polymaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Ive never seen anybody mention them here, but I like Atomic Filament. Matter Hackers home-brands are pretty good too.