Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Devil's advocate.

A for-profit delivery service doesn't necessarily have the same assurance that it will still exist in 30 years.

There is also the complication that postal vehicles are kind of allowed anywhere and go unnoticed. Did you know that USPS operates the largest vehicle fleet in the entire country and doesn't buy license plates for any of them? So imagine the post office plans to replace vehicles every seven years. This allows scumbags to buy used delivery trucks, paint them back close to original livery and drive around with no one ever bothering to check if the plates are legitimate. Or these hypothetical scumbags could so some "The Town"-like bank robbery shenanigans using decommissioned mail trucks.

Maybe some OTR diesel bros are whispering into their ears about how they are rebodying ancient trucks to get avoid all the modern emissions hardware?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You can buy an LLV if you can find one, so the security aspect of a unique vehicle doesn't really track. If anything, uniqueness makes it worse.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 4, 2022

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

PBCrunch posted:

Devil's advocate.

A for-profit delivery service doesn't necessarily have the same assurance that it will still exist in 30 years.

There is also the complication that postal vehicles are kind of allowed anywhere and go unnoticed. Did you know that USPS operates the largest vehicle fleet in the entire country and doesn't buy license plates for any of them? So imagine the post office plans to replace vehicles every seven years. This allows scumbags to buy used delivery trucks, paint them back close to original livery and drive around with no one ever bothering to check if the plates are legitimate. Or these hypothetical scumbags could so some "The Town"-like bank robbery shenanigans using decommissioned mail trucks.

Maybe some OTR diesel bros are whispering into their ears about how they are rebodying ancient trucks to get avoid all the modern emissions hardware?

this makes no sense at all

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
the reason these things "have to" last 30 years is because our government is a failed state in slow motion collapse

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

mobby_6kl posted:

I just watched a video review by a Japanese business lady (that I didn't understand at all) and apparently you can fit another carton in the perfectly sized square hole between the seats

Also there's a built in table for your McNugets

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V8-o_Dpix7E

:lol: thank you for this

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

the reason these things "have to" last 30 years is because our government is a failed state in slow motion collapse
Our failed state is 100% in a slow-to-medium-speed collapse.

The idea of a three-decade commercial vehicle isn't completely insane, it is just grounded in an old way of thinking. All kinds of commercial implements can last that long. Technology, design, and manufacturing have advanced to the point that it is probably cheaper overall to buy cheap and replace more often.

Who is making the decisions? Some old crooks completely detached from reality.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I just watched a video review by a Japanese business lady (that I didn't understand at all) and apparently you can fit another carton in the perfectly sized square hole between the seats

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V8-o_Dpix7E

Jeeze I thought Doug's videos were long...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the lifespan has to be long because otherwise you are Wasting the Taxpayers Money buying trucks so often!!!!

and to be fair, if you can build a custom product with a lot of off the shelf parts with a design lifespan 3x longer than what you can go out and buy on the market for half the price, that's not bad business

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the lifespan has to be long because otherwise you are Wasting the Taxpayers Money buying trucks so often!!!!

and to be fair, if you can build a custom product with a lot of off the shelf parts with a design lifespan 3x longer than what you can go out and buy on the market for half the price, that's not bad business

Grumann: turning complete piece of poo poo 80s S-10s into 30-year-lasting LLVs.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

PBCrunch posted:

Our failed state is 100% in a slow-to-medium-speed collapse.

The idea of a three-decade commercial vehicle isn't completely insane, it is just grounded in an old way of thinking. All kinds of commercial implements can last that long. Technology, design, and manufacturing have advanced to the point that it is probably cheaper overall to buy cheap and replace more often.

Who is making the decisions? Some old crooks completely detached from reality.

There's a pretty good argument to be made that the most ecologically friendly way of buying a car is to buy used / have cars last longer. It takes _A lot_ of energy to build a car! It's also reasonable, because of government procurement cycles, to say you want a 25-30 year platform

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

adaz posted:

There's a pretty good argument to be made that the most ecologically friendly way of buying a car is to buy used / have cars last longer. It takes _A lot_ of energy to build a car! It's also reasonable, because of government procurement cycles, to say you want a 25-30 year platform

Maybe the Post Office can use some B-52s?

...when the Air Force is done with them in ~50 years.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Zero One posted:

Maybe the Post Office can use some B-52s?

...when the Air Force is done with them in ~50 years.

Those B-52s are rebuilt every few years - the sheet metal doesn't last long. And the few parts that _haven't been rebuilt_ - are finally being done now.

really the correct answer is to just ask Toyota to rebuild us a few tens of thousands new 1980s Hiluxes the objectively perfect vehicle.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

jesus christ are they powered by 60's-era V8s lmao

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
So the USPS should be driving around Land Cruisers? Toyota designs those for 25 years already.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

KakerMix posted:

So the USPS should be driving around Land Cruisers? Toyota designs those for 25 years already.

That would be awesome.

I’m pretty sure they could negotiate the price down to $68K for a bulk order. LCs also get better mileage (barely), and spare parts for LC200s will be available years from now still.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

morothar posted:

That would be awesome.

I’m pretty sure they could negotiate the price down to $68K for a bulk order. LCs also get better mileage (barely), and spare parts for LC200s will be available years from now still.

Oh no these would be 70 series Cruisers obviously, no need to bust out the luxury. Make them the Troopy style.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Did Toyota ever import LCs for rural mail carriers? I know Subaru brought over some RHD models and I still see them occasionally out in the country.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Charles posted:

Did Toyota ever import LCs for rural mail carriers? I know Subaru brought over some RHD models and I still see them occasionally out in the country.

Never seen one, the only RHD Cruisers I've ever seen have always been JDM imports, 25 years old which means still on the 80, series.

Also realized that my avatar from the SUX commercials in Robocop lampooning awful domestic vehicles almost lines up with the new USPS mpg. How times have not changed at all :toot:

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Charles posted:

Jeep used to sell RHD XJ Cherokees to rural carriers. These days many rural carriers drive LLVs, at least the "rural" carriers that deliver in suburbs like mine do.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

IHC made RHD scouts, too.

The obvious solution here that will make everybody happy is RHD broncos.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sab669 posted:

Jeeze I thought Doug's videos were long...

Of course, she's much more thorough than that hack Doug, there's at least a minute and a half of examining the sun visor and she tries sitting in the truck in several positions even.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KakerMix posted:

Oh no these would be 70 series Cruisers obviously, no need to bust out the luxury. Make them the Troopy style.

Those are still mega expensive, manual transmission only and that old V8 is far too dirty for anywhere that even slightly cares about emissions. They also have some fairly serious rust issues if the climate isn't kind.

70 series only makes sense for serious off-road use, not something you'd want to use in place of a van.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

dissss posted:

Those are still mega expensive, manual transmission only and that old V8 is far too dirty for anywhere that even slightly cares about emissions. They also have some fairly serious rust issues if the climate isn't kind.

70 series only makes sense for serious off-road use, not something you'd want to use in place of a van.

Have you seen the USPS mail truck or

I'm joking (mostly) but it highlights just how not far from reality the suggestion is from being a decent idea in context. Yeah it's really dumb to suggest an early-80s design to be used as a mail carrier for the USPS but the new one they've unveiled with a 'no need for EPA targets here' isn't that far away from the AMC Jeeps they used back in the early 80s.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 4, 2022

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
yeah uh 2200sfi/iron puke powered LLVs still fart and belch their way around California.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

PBCrunch posted:

Jeep used to sell RHD XJ Cherokees to rural carriers. These days many rural carriers drive LLVs, at least the "rural" carriers that deliver in suburbs like mine do.

the truly rural guys in my area did the Cherokees or just used their own POV with a stuck on yellow light and I assume were compensated for mileage. Lots of Legacies and later Outbacks and Foresters.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KakerMix posted:

I'm joking (mostly) but it highlights just how not far from reality the suggestion is from being a decent idea in context. Yeah it's really dumb to suggest an early-80s design to be used as a mail carrier for the USPS but the new one they've unveiled with a 'no need for EPA targets here' isn't that far away from the AMC Jeeps they used back in the early 80s.

They're petrols though which are inherently cleaner than diesel.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

KakerMix posted:

The aluminum-bodied LLV and the recent search for another three-decade replacement are both a reaction to the piece of poo poo RWD AMC Jeeps that all rusted away to nothing.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Interesting commentary here: https://www.carbibles.com/the-new-mail-trucks-8-6-mpg-fuel-economy-figure-is-being-taken-out-of-context/?amp

So these MPG figures are what the USPS observed, not an EPA test or anything. In the same cycles, the MB Metris gets only 6.3mpg.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

USPS trucks spend a poo poo ton of time idling and going at low speeds so you'd think they'd design them to be efficient at that and not at highway cruising like any production car.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hybrid would make a lot more sense or just loving full electric already

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Interesting commentary here: https://www.carbibles.com/the-new-mail-trucks-8-6-mpg-fuel-economy-figure-is-being-taken-out-of-context/?amp

So these MPG figures are what the USPS observed, not an EPA test or anything. In the same cycles, the MB Metris gets only 6.3mpg.

I think those numbers were fiddled with to justify the MIC pick, MB sells the my2020 metris at 20mpg city and even the bigger sprinter pulls better numbers that those from that table.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

SlowBloke posted:

I think those numbers were fiddled with to justify the MIC pick, MB sells the my2020 metris at 20mpg city and even the bigger sprinter pulls better numbers that those from that table.

quote:

Delivery driving is hard to do efficiently — starting and stopping all the time uses a lot more juice than consistent cruising. The normal mail truck, a Grumman LLV, is rated for 17 mpg by the EPA, but USPS’s average is a paltry 8.2 mpg in stop-and-go mail delivery. Those normal mail trucks have been out of production since 1994, and while many are still going strong, the USPS has put a few Mercedes-Benz Metris vans and even some regular-old minivans into its fleets to keep the mail moving while a purpose-built replacement is decided on.

The Metris can muster 19 mpg city from its 2.0-liter turbo four-cylinder, but the USPS only observed 6.4 mpg in its tests.

The entire point of the article is that regardless of the EPA rating, in USPS use, doing USPS routes with USPS drivers, they don't get anywhere near the rated mileage.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
It's the worst-possible scenario for stop-and-go driving: not every light or stop sign, but every single mailbox.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Yeah. *Most* not all, but most mail routes should be electric and the rest hybrid. Too much stop and go for ice these days. Even rural routes would benefit from hybrid.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Is it really? US is so dense to have them shut down the engine every ten inch to deliver packages? Just curious, every delivery service here will stop the box truck and have the courier walk to drop the packages in a 300-450m radius rather than doing stops at every door.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Depends on the weather and what's being delivered. They do a lot of packages nowadays here due to their deal with Amazon.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I was wondering about the deal with postal services elsewhere. Here they'll load up the van to hit a couple of areas, park them up when they get to them and walk the routes.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SlowBloke posted:

Is it really? US is so dense to have them shut down the engine every ten inch to deliver packages? Just curious, every delivery service here will stop the box truck and have the courier walk to drop the packages in a 300-450m radius rather than doing stops at every door.

My mail carrier drives their LLV down the sidewalk every day so that they can put things in mailboxes without getting out. I can't think of many other vehicles that would fit well.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I was wondering about the deal with postal services elsewhere. Here they'll load up the van to hit a couple of areas, park them up when they get to them and walk the routes.

Until 2016 our posties still used bicycles. Reduced mail volume but an increase in parcels meant stopping less often but carrying bulkier items so they switched to these Paxter electric deals. 70-90km range, 45kmh top speed.

Couriers still mostly use HiAces or similar - they're mostly "self employed contractors" so supply their own van to meet company specs. (Usually no more complex that 'under X years old and preferably a model we have livery templates for')

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

In the city my carriers typically park and walk half a block worth of deliveries. But in like my parents are, yea they drive the 50-100ft from mailbox to mailbox.