Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Oxxidation posted:

imagine the outcome of showbiz exchanging words with ramses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Hole in Showbiz's head the exact girth of a Tequiza

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zefiel posted:

Hole in Showbiz's head the exact girth of a Tequiza

Scientists still trying to figure it out

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Just want to say the first three posts on this page made me almost wake up the house with laughter. It's the kind of thing I want to show to people but I can't because it requires knowledge of the metaplot of a 20 year old webcomic.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/achewood/status/1493453255220756480
Never noticed the date before

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Holy poo poo how did I miss that after all these years of poring over this strip

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

That seems like exactly the way that Ramses would spend his ideal February 14.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

That would fit with Mrs. Smuckles' statement about getting taken to 'low dives' etc.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

On the subject, am I right that there has never been any specific explanation for Ray's childhood wealth, strip or blog or whatever? I don't mean it's a plot hole or anything, it's just not important, it's of a piece with Ray just effortlessly stumbling into money all the time as an adult, and you're left to assume whatever you want, like it was from Sondra's family. I can imagine Ramses meeting some standard of checks arriving on time even if he wasn't around but it's never really implied to be his money.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
It's implied his mom is from old money. I always thought Ramses and her split up because they were from different social classes.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Ramses and Ray's mom were always going to split up, the way Ramses has "RAY (SONDRA)" as his caller ID for Ray plus that Dornheim dude establishes Ramses has many kids out there, a dude like that you can't tie down anymore that you can leash a cyclone, though his latest girlfriend tried. Must've been a formidable lady.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I never caught that the implication is that he has another son named Ray from another lady. Or maybe that he just has so many kids/bastards out there by so many women that he needs a reminder.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I don't think it's to prevent confusion over having multiple sons named ray, I think it's just so he has some sort of index for who ray is, the child sired upon sondra

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

On the subject, am I right that there has never been any specific explanation for Ray's childhood wealth, strip or blog or whatever? I don't mean it's a plot hole or anything, it's just not important, it's of a piece with Ray just effortlessly stumbling into money all the time as an adult, and you're left to assume whatever you want, like it was from Sondra's family. I can imagine Ramses meeting some standard of checks arriving on time even if he wasn't around but it's never really implied to be his money.

Ramses just glared at bankers until they nervously put money in his account. "the hell that interest not gonna be compound, boy" he'd grumble.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Ray is from old Southern money on his mom's side. Otherwise he'd never have a dandified uncle like Marion Culpepper.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Was there a strip where Ray talked about using taint cream for a "dreamy, drop-a-dime" (bounce?) taint tone, or something? I can't find it via ohnorobot but I have this very specific memory. It's about like, nobody will touch his saggy balls when he is eighty? Help me thread you're my only hope.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

'Tis my taint cream: https://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03252016

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I have two of these hanging up near my computer and it's wild when they come up online, I've become used to these being fairly personal images

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Excellent! Are these new (okay 2016 is not new but) ones just not up on ohnorobot or something? Thank you so much.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Can anyone link me to the strip with “we found beef’s strain” and beef is all giggly

I thought it was close to the Cheers strip but I guess not

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Sockser posted:

Can anyone link me to the strip with “we found beef’s strain” and beef is all giggly

I thought it was close to the Cheers strip but I guess not

it's like three from the end https://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11182016

also when i see the font in the taint strip, i know i am in for a Bad Time (on the achewood scale)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

grunchy posted:

//-a-r-e-a-s-o-n-a-b-l-e-m-a-n-w-r-o-t-e-

Man I am just so delighted with Lay's potato chips

Just the baseline kind in the yellow bag, straight-up an exact-deliverin' product

If I was Warren Buffet I would be like, "All companies should basically be as perfect as a Lay's potato chip, time and again, Charlie and I will buy them all and take them to our Valhalla of freedom and catered seminars"

//-a-r-e-a-s-o-n-a-b-l-e-m-a-n-w-r-o-t-e-

I.

Okay so as you can see that was the type of mind I was in last night, all Cool-Whupped good on some of that Golden Tabloid, my new and only favorite strain of the marihuana that seems to connect all my calls through the operator direct and correct for once.

To review, mostly weed does some pretty low shenanigans on my woggin, straight-up logging me out of society for a shift. Here are some of the ways it typically gets south on me:

1. I smoke it with somebody who is way better at smoking it than me and I feel like I have to pull a good rip of it to impress them and as soon as I set the bong down Popeye squeezes a can of roller coasters down my throat (hyuk nyuk nyuk!) and I got to go hurl and entertain the Eternal Screensaver of the Password-Locked Mind until sleep comes.

2. I smoke it and then every terrible thing I have ever done or been to anybody or probably was or will be to somebody is ready as an instant list, and it auto-plays in my mind as I sit on the couch, from my mama hatin' on being pregnant to the underpaid, hungover guy who has to clean out the old paint cans and jars of unmatched screws of my final carport. Smoke still curling in a slight way off the bottom of my nostrils, moisture visibly at play on the inner surfaces. On this list: (1) A guy I yelled at way too hard while way too juicy on Guinness, for working on his car outside the bedroom window at 2am while Molly was trying to sleep. (2) A really idiotic sexist thing I said about "why Volkswagens are cars for women" once at a nice restaurant years ago, all brassy and Sinatra, and I remember the sophisticated rich lady at the table next to ours saying "Jesus Christ, how much longer do I have to listen to this idiot," but I pretended at the time that she wasn't referring to me. (Now she is referring to me forever in my marijuana memory.)

3. I get really anxious like the universe is that big stone ball that races after Indiana Jones and I am Indiana Jones, but I never see the ball and I am just standing in whoever's kitchen it is and I'm not allowed to look around for the ball, but I know I am about to die from it. And also I concurrently feel that sensation like when you step off a curb that you didn't see and for five inches you know what it's like to die from the first part of a plane crash.

4. On a few occasions the high has been a pleasant enough time. About as often as you get the hundo ring at skee-ball.

So that is regular weed experiences. Golden Tabloid doesn't do that. Golden Tabloid is like the following (which I wrote down in a notebook "while reporting for the Golden Tabloid"):

I am in a sauna, or a room, and no one has ever made a mistake. I am nothing but the lower part of the eye, where the slight pressure from gravity, eyeball against lid, is the only thing that reminds me that I am physically manifest. I love that I can understand, through Tabloid, how great rich people feel when every detail and tax situation has been calmed to their benefit and satisfaction. My car, should I summon it, is a plush white terrycloth experience, like a moisture-less blintz I have snuck inside, where I receive all the good feelings I would have felt had I gotten all the gifts I'd wanted as a child. We are going Christmas shopping in a place where volunteer minks—tall as a parent, with spicy, musky cologne—give you a loving, selfless, genuine hug every time you enter a new store, and you love hugging them back.

When you leave the store, they are hugging someone else, but they make sure to put a hand on your shoulder, smile, and make eye contact.

That is Golden Tabloid. I can also explain it in a shorter way:

I am the bone-love daddy of all of this deal

II.

So now, the boys saw that Tabloid was doing some right things with me, which I guess meant making me less of my real-ingredients drag, and they were all for maintaining the drip. Apparently they wetted up some black licorice chews, all muling them with some butter-extracted mg's of GT, thinking I could just pop them like my usual Zauberpunkt tabs. Good dudes.

Problem with that plan of theirs was, rodents. My boy Todd, specifically. A rodent has a brain and extremities that lust for crumbs, for protein or copper or a pot sticker you put too much fish sauce on as a something that was a mistake in the first place, and Todd is Chief Survival Officer of that clean-up crew. Little dude found that baggie full of spiked licorice about three seconds after Ray and T left the room, and pushed those nubs down the hatch like it was a drat Japanese contest show. I mean who in a mile can't whiff some hand-wringin' bud like smokey starin' down a red-eyed roadie.

The bag of licorice was the same size as Todd but it was all gone when they found him. Claw marks demonstrate that he didn't even undo the Ziploc, he just tore through the plastic with his face and teeth, getting at the payload fast as he could.

They say you can't OD from weed and generally speaking that is Garfunkel's Sounds of Science but it's guys like Todd that really change the rules. Todd is the mustard in the math that actuaries know they'll take a bath on.

Of course it is a good thing that Todd was on Golden Tabloid and not some high-creepin Reaver strain like Son Of Saturn or THE OFFICIAL INSTAGRAM OF CHAINSAWS or he might be growin whiskers underground. Because of the nature of this weed though he is currently just floating around all of our houses, no joke, he is prone in a position like how you would be if you were cuddled on your side on the couch, yet he is sort of floating/levitating like a magic dark nugget of tranquility. He floats about six inches above whatever surface is under him, and if he bumps into a couch for example he sort of rises to meet the plateau of the cushions and then floats above those cushions in a direction, until he encounters the next change in elevation. Kind of like a peaceful silent Roomba that wishes you no harm. Like a video game on autopilot until someone puts a quarter in. He floats between our houses and seems to know a safe path. Is this the truest form of high? It is a question.

Anyhow, I got to thank Ray and T on the hands for all the cookin they did up for me. Maybe bring them a tray of my new chorizo and cotija cemita sandwiches. I bought all of the ingredients for these back when I was planning on being high forever but now that I just use the GT here and there to even out the sidewalk I rarely deep dive into Pueblan specialty foods. Yeah, GT shook somethin' a little loose for me, in the brain, like adding a new window to a house, but I ain't obviously ever going to be a central dude of Bob Marley posters and wearing sunglasses indoors.

Oh and uh Happy Holidays. I ain't quite the joy I want to see in the world, but here and there in spots these days I like when I look down a long street and see the trees all lined up and doing their canopy thing, and in my heart I can know a grain of satisfaction that somewhere over the clouds out there the sun is always bright and waiting for me when I can get myself there. And I think I even found a way to let the universe pull me up when I ain't able to pull myself. Thank you Golden Tabloid, thank you some guys who I know, thank you carbon.

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer
Good for Roast Beef. He deserves it! I mean, he already literally died like, twice

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I don't know if that was intended to be the final entry of Achewood, but it definitely works as one

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
If you take Achewood as a situation comedy, and consider that a traditional sitcom's ending is about the final dismantling of that specific situation, then Beef coming to terms with some part or form of his depression would be a key ingredient of a proper Achewood finale.

It'd be something like that, Ray and Tina make another honest attempt (doomed), Cornelius ascends to circumstances that do not involve being at the boarding house any longer (writes a better book, heads out with Polly, possibly passes away in an incredibly wise and touching manner), Lyle's situation somehow stabilizes into a more boring framework (i.e. the earlier theory in this thread that a middle-aged Lyle marries someone half his age and goes to trade school), Philippe suddenly ages, Showbiz is likely beaten to death by a man only known as Audio Pete the Final Debt Collector, etc.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
"the final dismantling of that specific situation" is pretty much Philippe going home to mom (for a moment).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I do think Beef's post makes a touching finale.

I think a "true" finale would have to involve Cornelius' dying and Felipe actually becoming an adult. Maybe Teodor gets his poo poo together and maybe Lyle reverses the downward trajectory of his life, maybe not. I also see Beef having to deal with the death of either Corliss or Showbiz being part of the equation.

(This raises weird questions, though. Maybe Dead Showbiz goes to Welsh Heaven and, finally free from the existence of car stereos, finds he has a knack for masonry or shipbuilding.)

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Excellent! Are these new (okay 2016 is not new but) ones just not up on ohnorobot or something? Thank you so much.

Yeah I think the search engine only covers up to like 2013 or something. The Random Comic button is powered by the same tool, so it doesn't select later comics because it doesn't know about them.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

I bet No-No sizes Showbiz up for murder the moment he sees him

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
He'd commission it, too. Death might be the only way to get Rockford-Fosgate off your back.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Halloween Jack posted:

(This raises weird questions, though. Maybe Dead Showbiz goes to Welsh Heaven and, finally free from the existence of car stereos, finds he has a knack for masonry or shipbuilding.)

This actually reminded me of the Lyle blog story about him getting trapped in that girl's school(?) with no liquor, and his writing got clearer and better structured as he lamented his inability to get drunk or high. The entry following him detailing his planned escape being utter drunken gibberish was loving amazing.

I am locked in a Girls' School
Pizza at tea
A minor theft
I experienced a minor setback
A position in the kitchen
Flavorful sandwiches
A careful progress
Carefully ensconced elsewhere
fffffffffffd rays

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Schwarzwald posted:

"the final dismantling of that specific situation" is pretty much Philippe going home to mom (for a moment).

God drat, that strip came out like right as I graduated college and it’s always been this guy punch for me to read. I never was “home” again.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the Philippe goes home arc was bad but that blogpost is good

Todd getting so high he literally starts levitating is some of that old school Achewood

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

This actually reminded me of the Lyle blog story about him getting trapped in that girl's school(?) with no liquor, and his writing got clearer and better structured as he lamented his inability to get drunk or high. The entry following him detailing his planned escape being utter drunken gibberish was loving amazing.
I like how by the end of it he had developed the fortitude to resist drinking the cooking sherry, and at the same time, he prepared Spam sandwich rations instead of just eating what everyone else was eating.

It's a good thing the Hawaiian place is on the other side of town and they're usually sold out by the time I get there. I could kill myself eating Spam musubi.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Oxxidation posted:

the Philippe goes home arc was bad

the gently caress

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It was sad.

But it was also... rad?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

the gently caress

probably one of the worst in the series. better than Fast Times at Achewood High but worse than Return of Cartilage Head. it’s overwrought. it’s artless. it’s instigated by an act of “competitive” cruelty by Ray that’s so witless that it’s barely in-character and ended by Steve DeNeuve, an ostensibly benevolent character who instead comes off as the creepiest bastard in the neighborhood not named Cropes. the “moral” is some of the comic’s clumsiest, chintziest writing delivered in bad French

e: reading back through this thread I see that I have said this before almost verbatim (still true) and was also regrettably reminded of the Penny arc, which may be the comic’s actual nadir

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 17, 2022

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Imagine Lyle working during the pandemic. Just catching, and eventually becoming immune to every strain of COVID by eating leftovers.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
My favorite detail about Lyle's girls' school experience is how he becomes tremendously fixated on numerical measurements the second he is sober.

I have remembered this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Oxxidation posted:

probably one of the worst in the series. better than Fast Times at Achewood High but worse than Return of Cartilage Head. it’s overwrought. it’s artless. it’s instigated by an act of “competitive” cruelty by Ray that’s so witless that it’s barely in-character and ended by Steve DeNeuve, an ostensibly benevolent character who instead comes off as the creepiest bastard in the neighborhood not named Cropes. the “moral” is some of the comic’s clumsiest, chintziest writing delivered in bad French

e: reading back through this thread I see that I have said this before almost verbatim (still true) and was also regrettably reminded of the Penny arc, which may be the comic’s actual nadir

:goonsay: