Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Dark blue exterior should have silver wheels and a beige interior.

For checking equipment I think you can toss the vin through a decoder and it'll tell you most things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Yeah you're right its probably not really the color its the color combo with the wheels

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

AWWNAW posted:

I hate black wheels and I wish they weren’t as popular on 991s, made it a lot harder to find a good used one when 90% have them.

But then I remembered black Fuchs look great on old 911s.

And I love that dark (Night?) blue. Here’s mine

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
now that is a gentleman's car

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Dark blue is fine. But IME, it gets dirt as fast as black while not looking nearly as good when it’s perfectly clean.

I’ve been in Northern California for the last week, driving a 718 Boxster that I rented off Turo. Selling my 996 and buying one. Thinking a manual, Python Green Boxster T.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

black cars both look bad and are dull

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

now that is a gentleman's car

Indeed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I wear black on the outside, 'cause black is how I feel on the inside.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Dark green is going to show dirt/dust/scratches just as bad as dark blue.

e: Not python green.

Any Porsche that is not Guards Red isn't a real Porsche.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

Any Porsche that is not Guards Red isn't a real Porsche.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Guards red is alright, but I'm a sucker for a lot of metallic in paint so if they made the red equivalent of sapphire blue... You don't want to know what I'd do to make the money.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Bajaha posted:

Guards red is alright, but I'm a sucker for a lot of metallic in paint so if they made the red equivalent of sapphire blue... You don't want to know what I'd do to make the money.

The latest Carmine Red Metallic is what you're looking for. It is impossible to photograph. This is the only image I have found so far that comes even close to capturing the depth and flake.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Miami blue is the best car color. I will not be taking questions.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That looks great in your picture, and looks even better in person.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Speaking of dirt.

Anyway, this car is brilliant and I’m in love. Bummer I’m too proud for the PDK. It’s magic.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dema posted:

Anyway, this car is brilliant and I’m in love. Bummer I’m too proud for the PDK. It’s magic.

I hate that PDK so good. I still want to row my own.

Great looking car.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I disagree sir

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Carmine red is a fantastic color and beats washed out guards every day.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I am an absolute SUCKER for carmine red

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Russian Bear posted:

:hmmyes:

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Russian Bear posted:

I love it but I feel like it only works if you live within 50 miles of a beach

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Russian Bear posted:

:hmmyes:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Russian Bear posted:

they hated him because he spoke the truth

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it would look better in white as God intended

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Yeah that is pretty sexy

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

bird with big dick posted:

Local Carmax has a 2018 C2 for 95k with 20k miles. Not really sure how well equipped it is (which is one of the daunting things for a newbie for Porsche shopping, identifying and valuing they seventy trillion options) but I'm guessing on the lower end of the spectrum. These are also kind of my least favorite 911 wheels, and I don't like the dark blue that much tbh

Get the VIN and plug it into here - vinanalytics.com/ I used the hell out of it when I was cayman shopping.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

This is not Miami I don't think? Maybe Mexico?

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Residency Evil posted:

Possibly but I think Mexico is lighter. Maybe Riviera? Honestly hard to say, but in any case Miami is too yellow/greenish for my taste

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Graphite blue is the best color imho

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Poor yachting blue, taken away from us too early and not put on enough models.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

It's a wrap in Avery light blue so it's more of an approximation of mexico blue. Miami blue has a little more green in it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

dema posted:

I’ve been in Northern California for the last week, driving a 718 Boxster that I rented off Turo. Selling my 996 and buying one. Thinking a manual, Python Green Boxster T.

What's making you switch? besides the engine being in the right place

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Can anyone confirm this:

quote:

had to do an oil change on a GT3R. The oil filter is sandwiched between the intake manifold and the engine, but since it's a rear engine car you can't lift the intake up without dropping the motor, can't drop the motor without removing the right rear suspension corner, and since it's has 4 way adjustible shocks, it needs a full corner balance and alignment.

Only takes 2 days and only costs about $2800 in labor.

If anyone finds the engineer who designed this oil filter location, please drive exactly 6 miles under the speed limit in front of him.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Oil filter is on the bottom of the motor under a pan that covers it and the oil cooler. It's right by the front sump drain (there are two sumps to drain on these motors).

I have no idea what that person in your quote is talking about. While the filter has very low clearance to the point that you may not be able to get an oil filter wrench on it, it's definitely not buried somewhere inaccessible.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

meatpimp posted:

Can anyone confirm this:

Keep in mind that's a GT3R, not a GT3.

I have no idea what steps are involved in changing the oil on a real race car.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Motronic posted:

Oil filter is on the bottom of the motor under a pan that covers it and the oil cooler. It's right by the front sump drain (there are two sumps to drain on these motors).

I have no idea what that person in your quote is talking about. While the filter has very low clearance to the point that you may not be able to get an oil filter wrench on it, it's definitely not buried somewhere inaccessible.

Kinda what I suspected. Thanks. I thought Porsche was fairly maintenance friendly, so it sounded weird that they'd make BMW look well designed in a hallmark car.

Residency Evil posted:

Keep in mind that's a GT3R, not a GT3.

I have no idea what steps are involved in changing the oil on a real race car.

That's the reason I asked, I could find info on the GT3, but not the GT3R.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Motronic posted:

The cup cars and up (r, rsr) are not the same

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 8, 2022

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I don’t think I really care about the user friendliness of the packaging for a race car? It seems like if you are in the market to actually run one, driveway oil changes are probably not on the list of important features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

The cup cars and up (r, rsr) are not the same

They aren't that different unless we're talking something latest gen that I've never seen.

TheBacon posted:

I don’t think I really care about the user friendliness of the packaging for a race car? It seems like if you are in the market to actually run one, driveway oil changes are probably not on the list of important features.

It's not so much not caring, it's that they running largely production motors that are largely the same format as the street cars. It's not some complete snowflake in there until we start talking about specific race cars (as in entire chassis that do not exist on the street), not just cup versions of a 911.

But like I said, maybe the really changed something recently. It wouldn't be out of the question, but it doesn't seem super likely given the long history of R/RSRs that were running street castings.