Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

signalnoise posted:

I get the sentiment though. The placement of those buttons could be more comfortable, and there are input types on controllers that are largely absent from keyboards. Immediate access to a lot of buttons isn't mutually exclusive with a thumbstick for movement if you want that, or a trigger or something. If you look at fighting game stuff, as long as you aren't cheating, most people don't really care what you use, and some people prefer pad, some prefer stick, some prefer a WASD layout for their movement, some people prefer some combination of stuff. For some reason when it comes to PC and shooters and stuff, there's a clear line people draw where they're like you either like kb/m or pad and there's no mixing, no customization. I don't really get that myself. I like the idea of using the left half of a pad for movement and radial gear selection in a FPS, but a mouse for aiming accuracy, but this isn't an option. I got it to work in Warframe once, sort of, and it was cool but incredibly janky to configure and maintain.

Yeah this is exactly how I feel. I don’t get why I can’t mix and match. Playing with a left handed controller and a mouse is by far the best way to play a shooter I have ever experienced yet I have to use third party hardware to even get it to work on just about any platform it’s so stupid.

I don’t get why that method of control hasn’t caught on more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

signalnoise posted:

I get the sentiment though. The placement of those buttons could be more comfortable, and there are input types on controllers that are largely absent from keyboards. Immediate access to a lot of buttons isn't mutually exclusive with a thumbstick for movement if you want that, or a trigger or something. If you look at fighting game stuff, as long as you aren't cheating, most people don't really care what you use, and some people prefer pad, some prefer stick, some prefer a WASD layout for their movement, some people prefer some combination of stuff. For some reason when it comes to PC and shooters and stuff, there's a clear line people draw where they're like you either like kb/m or pad and there's no mixing, no customization. I don't really get that myself. I like the idea of using the left half of a pad for movement and radial gear selection in a FPS, but a mouse for aiming accuracy, but this isn't an option. I got it to work in Warframe once, sort of, and it was cool but incredibly janky to configure and maintain.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a PC only gamer and still use a controller for a good probably 80% of my usage, so it's not like I don't understand wanting to use a controller, but some games just don't play as well even with handicaps like a weapon wheel. I guess the most recent good example would be the Doom games, and eternal in particular, where things happen so fast and you need to be mashing so many buttons at once that you just can't do things with the controller that you can with the keyboard.

And I even tried a while back, on the suggestion of someone in this thread though I can't remember who, to set up a PS move controller to go with the mouse and you know what? It sucked! I think I ended up dropping it within days because it was never useful and a pain in the rear end to set up. Do I think simultaneous input should be default in games? Yes. Is it something that I would ever use? Probably not, cause it's either a game where the gamepad Just Works and I don't need a mouse, or I'll just use the keyboard because for those particular games it's better

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

site posted:

And I even tried a while back, on the suggestion of someone in this thread though I can't remember who, to set up a PS move controller to go with the mouse and you know what? It sucked!

Ha, I'm pretty sure that was likely me. Tbf I do it with a Xim apex which makes setup a breeze. I guarantee it does not suck. I dunno. if you don't prefer it...maybe it's not for everyone. Game how you want. we all have out preferences.

Doom Eternal is a problem, because you have to do some degree of controller spoofing to play like that, which is gong to make you use a weapon wheel even if you have enough mouse buttons, since the game thinks you are using a controller. And weapon wheels tend to suck with this setup. This is basically exactly why I want native support. All the fudging around makes it less ideal since the games never actually know you are playing with a split setup.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The other advantage is that you can actually couch game with a mouse without having set up a desk in front of you. Just need enough space for a mouse pad.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

site posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm a PC only gamer and still use a controller for a good probably 80% of my usage, so it's not like I don't understand wanting to use a controller, but some games just don't play as well even with handicaps like a weapon wheel. I guess the most recent good example would be the Doom games, and eternal in particular, where things happen so fast and you need to be mashing so many buttons at once that you just can't do things with the controller that you can with the keyboard.

And I even tried a while back, on the suggestion of someone in this thread though I can't remember who, to set up a PS move controller to go with the mouse and you know what? It sucked! I think I ended up dropping it within days because it was never useful and a pain in the rear end to set up. Do I think simultaneous input should be default in games? Yes. Is it something that I would ever use? Probably not, cause it's either a game where the gamepad Just Works and I don't need a mouse, or I'll just use the keyboard because for those particular games it's better

I'll give you a specific example for games that supposedly don't benefit from controller-style inputs.

If I'm playing a moba like HotS, I will pull out my logitech G13. It's the only kind of game I use it for, and I've been using it for like 10 years or so whenever I get the urge to play one. If I played RTS games, I would use it for those too. There's no reason for it other than one specific advantage, which is the thumbstick on the side, which isn't even analog. All the other buttons are mapped as I would use them on keyboard, but instead of my thumb being over a spacebar, I get a thumbstick and two buttons to the side. Those buttons could be to recall and open the shop, whatever, doesn't matter, but the thumbstick is absolutely essential because I use it to move the camera without having to flick the edge of the screen. That allows me to move the camera without moving my mouse cursor away from the combat. The difference in my performance between having that and not having that is massive, and it requires a controller-style input that no keyboard I've ever purchased has offered.

I think that kb/m being inherently better is merely an assumption, and should be reassessed. I don't think the argument here is that people should want to be playing starcraft with a dual shock, but rather that hearing that you should be satisfied with kb/m just because it has so many buttons is frustrating

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
when my pals got me into dota I started out by configuring WASD to pan the camera and using some ungodly scheme like qerfcv for the abilities
and of course spacebar was for blink dagger

it worked fine enough but i never had enough free buttons for all the active inventory items plus other poo poo like couriers and control groups if you played a micro character etc

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've got a Razer tartarus which is pretty much the same thing, and I thought it would help with how much I hate gaming with a keyboard (it sort of does...sort of) but at the end of the day my muscle memory just can't used to controlling games with a bunch of identical keys laid out right next to each other.

WASD is still bonkers to me. I don't know how people do it. It's like using a D Pad to control something that should be full analog, and then the D pad, instead of being shaped like + is shaped like _--__ and surrounded by other identical keys. it's an ergonomic nightmare.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

signalnoise posted:

I'll give you a specific example for games that supposedly don't benefit from controller-style inputs.

If I'm playing a moba like HotS, I will pull out my logitech G13. It's the only kind of game I use it for, and I've been using it for like 10 years or so whenever I get the urge to play one. If I played RTS games, I would use it for those too. There's no reason for it other than one specific advantage, which is the thumbstick on the side, which isn't even analog. All the other buttons are mapped as I would use them on keyboard, but instead of my thumb being over a spacebar, I get a thumbstick and two buttons to the side. Those buttons could be to recall and open the shop, whatever, doesn't matter, but the thumbstick is absolutely essential because I use it to move the camera without having to flick the edge of the screen. That allows me to move the camera without moving my mouse cursor away from the combat. The difference in my performance between having that and not having that is massive, and it requires a controller-style input that no keyboard I've ever purchased has offered.

I think that kb/m being inherently better is merely an assumption, and should be reassessed. I don't think the argument here is that people should want to be playing starcraft with a dual shock, but rather that hearing that you should be satisfied with kb/m just because it has so many buttons is frustrating

you know, while i was typing up that previous post i was wondering if there was a combo keyboard thumbstick out there, and that's a nifty setup and if it wasn't for that price tag i would be very interested in that g13 device

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

site posted:

you know, while i was typing up that previous post i was wondering if there was a combo keyboard thumbstick out there, and that's a nifty setup and if it wasn't for that price tag i would be very interested in that g13 device

If it broke I would just not play a moba again, and to be honest I don't know if I'll ever find out if it's already broken

I'm pretty sure I got it on a pretty significant discount to begin with and yeah I would not at all buy it at what they currently go for

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
tbh i don't play mobas or mmos so i don't really have any use for it anyways, but it looks cool lol

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I refuse to play any FPS game on anything besides a vintage Operation: Wolf cabinet complete with full metal Uzi peripheral.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Vakal posted:

I refuse to play any FPS game on anything besides a vintage Operation: Wolf cabinet complete with full metal Uzi peripheral.

Theres the perfect amount of space to get up on my knees so I can fire the middle gun with my wang.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Do you really consider that to be part of the plot

I meant to say tone, my bad.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I am throughly astonished by something by from this forum of mostly game obsessed nerds:

How many people don't have access too or just hate using a games controller. It's a 20 quid purchase that will instantly make hundreds of games much more fun. Why the gently caress are people using a keyboard and mouse to play dark souls and rocket league??

I don't care if you aren't used to a controller. I didn't touch a PC till was 12, get over yourself and buy one. It's not a subjective opinion, some games suit kb+m, some suit a gamepad and anyone saying otherwise is either a PC master race twat or just so cheap that they'll lie to themselves over the cost.

Lmao, every single time. This is my super power, getting goons to fall all over themselves to make posts like this.

Fun fact, I'm only just figuring out this week that I'm quite likely dyspraxic, which means my hands don't work quite right. I literally have a 360 controller within reach but it's perpetually gathering dust because I simply don't like using it and you're never going to convince me otherwise by sputtering about how games suddenly become magically better when you jump using this kind of button instead of that kind of button or whatever the gently caress.

No poo poo certain games are more or less suitable to different control methods, but at no point do I ever bang on about KBM being innately superior because I don't give a poo poo about how people play their games. It's especially funny though because when I say I played Dark Souls that way, a game that people have beaten with dance pads, guitar hero guitars, blindfolded, and with literal bananas, suddenly goons hiss and recoil like vampires to a cross.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

John Murdoch posted:

This is my super power, getting goons to fall all over themselves to make posts like this.

John Murdoch posted:

Fun fact, I'm only just figuring out this week that I'm quite likely dyspraxic, which means my hands don't work quite right. I literally have a 360 controller within reach but it's perpetually gathering dust because I simply don't like using it and you're never going to convince me otherwise by sputtering about how games suddenly become magically better when you jump using this kind of button instead of that kind of button or whatever the gently caress.

No poo poo certain games are more or less suitable to different control methods, but at no point do I ever bang on about KBM being innately superior because I don't give a poo poo about how people play their games. It's especially funny though because when I say I played Dark Souls that way, a game that people have beaten with dance pads, guitar hero guitars, blindfolded, and with literal bananas, suddenly goons hiss and recoil like vampires to a cross.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Wait but kb+m is innately superior. What am I missing?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

oh nooo i'm owned, i'm owned

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
when I was a kid at arcades I liked to put coins in for both the guns and dual wield. I tore up Area 51 like that.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Imagine actually caring about people's interface preferences lol

Gonna go tease a paraplegic for not using a controller the little baby.

Personally I operate the thumb sticks with my sphincter muscles. Strong, but with amazing fine control.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
breaking out the ol Sidewinder to play some Descent

not really but that'd be cool

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

If you use zenyatta without a custom rig built out of multiple para para paradise controllers then you're only playing with your balls, not handling them like a professional killer

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vic posted:

Wait but kb+m is innately superior. What am I missing?

You're missing the inferiority complex that FPS console gamers have

I just want people to stop telling me how much better they think controllers are. I don't give a gently caress, use whatever you want. I beat one Dark Souls game with KB+M and another with a controller, it was fine each time

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
I miss the good old days of ultimate control by shoving a joystick up my butt. Then those pearl clutchers had to turn it into some weird sexual thing, and so the powers that be put these big balls on the top of the joysticks so they wouldn't fit up the butt anymore, though we would still find a way. Never controlled quite the same though.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Vampire Survivors is the only good ARPG.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

signalnoise posted:

If you use zenyatta without a custom rig built out of multiple para para paradise controllers then you're only playing with your balls, not handling them like a professional killer

I can play with my balls however I want :mad:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Some day someone is going to make a FPS PC GAMEPAD with little trackballs where the thumbsticks go and you'll all be sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

QuarkJets posted:

I just want people to stop telling me how much better they think controllers are. I don't give a gently caress, use whatever you want. I beat one Dark Souls game with KB+M and another with a controller, it was fine each time

Those cancel each other out, so actually you haven't beaten any Dark Souls games!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Some day someone is going to make a FPS PC GAMEPAD with little trackballs where the thumbsticks go and you'll all be sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtRqgszxZlg Not really a trackball though.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

Those cancel each other out, so actually you haven't beaten any Dark Souls games!

#lifehax

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Keyboard and mouse is the Dark Souls of game controllers

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

KBM is better for RTS, turned base nerd strategy and competitive FPS, all games that appeal to the most shameful nerds.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

KBM is better for RTS, turned base nerd strategy and competitive FPS, all games that appeal to the most shameful nerds.

Horseshit, if you don't use two Novint Falcons and a Kinect for RTS you're a real piece of work

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

When someone tells me that KB+M is fine for dark souls it makes me feel the same way as when someone tells me they like peanut butter and pickle sandwiches or some poo poo. Like, thats OK and you do you because it doesnt affect me, but I will keep in the back of my mind that you might be a psychopath.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I played Dark Souls with a Steam Controller, and I contend that it was and still is the best controller for that game

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

A girl i was dating found out i played Dark Souls with a mouse and she dumped me and wrote a mean blog article about it that went viral

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

last time i told a women I played a FPS on pc with a controller she daintily remioved her power glove one finger at a time and then slapped me across the teeth with it and it smelled and looked like she had been wearing it for the past 28 years

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I love my powerglove. It's smells so bad

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

When someone tells me that KB+M is fine for dark souls it makes me feel the same way as when someone tells me they like peanut butter and pickle sandwiches or some poo poo. Like, thats OK and you do you because it doesnt affect me, but I will keep in the back of my mind that you might be a psychopath.

Maybe I'm just a pregnant woman.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I remember when the arkham asylum games came out and everyone swore up and down that the controller was the only way to play it and that the kb + mouse controls were terrible.

And the kb + m scheme was the most bog standard, unoffensive poo poo I'd ever seen* and I played the games on it just fine.

*except for the croc section in the first game. That one just flat out didn't work without analog movement and you had to do a weird crouching stutterstep thing to continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Maybe it was patched, because now holding down a movement key has Batman move at exactly just below the threshold to piss off Croc. Which also destroys most of the tension and leaves just the tedium.