Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
25' drain augers are typically $20 or less. If one of those doesn't fix your problem then there is something fundamentally wrong with your plumbing. Like at the initial instillation level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Was browsing a blog of home plans for inspiration (for the Sims) and found this.

https://vintagehomeplans.tumblr.com/post/658520053874081792/japan-1980-toy-block-house-iii-a-large

I'm kinda torn, because it's a neat, whimsical design, clean without being super sterile. But it absolutely doesn't fit the neighborhood, and there's bound to be drainage problems on that flat roof. That photo is already showing that it's not aging well, either.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Japan doesn't give a poo poo about matching house styles in neighborhoods :iia:
Two staircases in the floorplans usually means a weird expansion was added.

peanut fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 4, 2022

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

peanut posted:

Japan doesn't give a poo poo about matching house styles in neighborhoods :iia:
Two staircases in the floorplans usually means a weird expansion was added.

My understanding is that Japan also doesn't give a poo poo about aging well, and in consequence, practically every house gets rebuilt every 30-50 years.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The 50 year old houses are often terrible dark drafty things with no insulation, no solid walls, one bedroom, and a bathroom with no changing area.

I looked at this house with my friend. Only 1 room had power outlets.
http://www.pitat.com/smp/ers_niihama/rentDetail/YP000637_-.html

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

the bad thing about commercial dishwashers in a home is that they generate a lot of steam. here's a guy who put one in his house

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnKAVFBIH1c

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Motronic posted:

FYI, commercial stuff is really really loud. Seems like a great idea right up until you've spent time around it in a closed shop/restaurant.

My buddy got an industrial fridge and he quieted it by moving the compressor entirely into his attic. He's also kinda crazy.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Platystemon posted:

Because this is the crappy construction thread, people may have reason to use this stuff.

Lye will mess you up. Always wear goggles when dealing with it. Always. You ought to wear gloves, long sleeves, and a respirator as well, but the consequences for failing to use eye protection are more immediate and dire.

Be prepared to strip and jump into the shower.

Lye generates an incredible amount of heat when added to water—and it should always be added to water, not have water added to it. It generates yet more heat when it reacts with whatever is clogging your drains. Be prepared for this and don’t overdo it.

In addition to eating your flesh, lye will attack aluminum, copper, zinc, tin, brass, bronze, and lead. It will etch glass, but slowly. Iron, steel, and some plastics are resistant to it.

I worked with this stuff in 2019 a lot when I cleaned and degreased parts for my mill, also the only thing that would actually strip paint reliably. I always keep a container of it because it's so effective.

Always wear the glasses, the type that sits tight against your head, I had lovely gloves that time though and they leaked, my fingernails felt weird for days afterwards.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
I have a jug of 50% NaOH (lye) solution which is noticeably heavy and pretty viscous. My oven racks and stainless cookware are spotless. Will strip cast iron effectively as well.

It's not even close to the most dangerous thing I work with.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the bad thing about commercial dishwashers in a home is that they generate a lot of steam. here's a guy who put one in his house

That would probably be me if I wasn't married.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

iv46vi posted:

Cleaning power of steam and crappy construction repairs combined:

NSFW industrial boiler accident

https://www.nationalboard.org/index.aspx?pageID=164&ID=226

I occasionally work around steam boilers and I hate them. I’ve only ever dealt with 100 psi and lower boilers, and even starting those up make me a little uneasy. I’d be paranoid as hell around a 600 psi boiler. God what a terrible way to go.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Modern boiler industry is extremely tightly regulated so catastrophic accidents are unlikely.

But superheated steam is still scary. It gets to temperature range where thermal expansion coefficient for different steel alloys begin to matter, like in the case above where someone supplied wrong nuts and the bolted flange joint just let go.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

SyNack Sassimov posted:

for months, you say.

hmmmm

It's less fun than it sounds. I've never gone full out with it like Motoronic is describing, but in my stupider days I'd use a lot of degreasers without gloves and know that "slick" feeling he's talking about. Getting your fingerprints off like he's describing leaves your skin feeling oddly tight and uncomfortable, an dry as gently caress, and even after that abates you have this weird extra sensitivity that makes handling stuff uncomfortable. Like, pressing your finger on the spine of a knife during a cut is mildly painful.

Also it turns out fingerprints are really useful for gripping poo poo, so have fun feeling every glass you pick up for a week start to slip, especially if there's condensation on it.

edit: oh, and your fingernails get super soft and kind of rubbery.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blistex posted:

25' drain augers are typically $20 or less. If one of those doesn't fix your problem then there is something fundamentally wrong with your plumbing. Like at the initial instillation level.

Yeah, but a lot of people are simply limping along with their not-properly-sloped pipes and regular drano treatments.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnKAVFBIH1c

Yeah, did you notice how messed up the cabinet next to the one in the first video was? Most places are either required to or installed for good reason steam hoods over this type of equipment. It's just as expensive as you're guessing. It looks just like a commercial hood system minus the Ansul parts.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

My buddy got an industrial fridge and he quieted it by moving the compressor entirely into his attic. He's also kinda crazy.

Reminds me of a loss I did in a neighborhood store in West Philadelphia. Went up to the third floor of the building it was in to locate a roof leak. Found myself in a bedroom, all the windows removed and just open to the outside, with a large central A/C compressor unit sitting on the floor in the middle of the room, running.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Bird in a Blender posted:

I occasionally work around steam boilers and I hate them. I’ve only ever dealt with 100 psi and lower boilers, and even starting those up make me a little uneasy. I’d be paranoid as hell around a 600 psi boiler. God what a terrible way to go.

When I was in the Navy I worked in the engine rooms on aircraft carriers that had superheated steam that was pressurised to absurdly high levels, like 1k psi or higher. We had these things called escape scuttles that we were to use in case of a steam rupture. They were like a small vertical compartment that only had a ladder in it that went to the top of the engine room and had a small escape hatch, the scuttle, and that would lead to elsewhere on the ship outside of the engine room. We occasionally do really complex drills with observers outside of the ship and these are graded and whatnot. I was on watch for one of these drill sets and we did a steam line rupture drill and the proctors told us to escape the space like we would if there was a real rupture. We never drilled this way on our own because it would have involved getting another person, a drill proctor, to tend to the watchstation while people escaped and it is a pain in the rear end. Anyway, I go down to the bottom level of the engine room and enter the scuttle and climb all the way up with the observer right behind me. I get to the scuttle and I can't open it. The observer gave me some helpful advice like "Use man strength and open that poo poo" and "Put some rear end into it" but try as I might I could not get the escape scuttle to open. Then the observer got frustrated and tried to open the scuttle. He could not either. Turns out the division responsible for ensuring the damage control and emergency equipment is functional had been marking a lot of their maintenance complete without doing the maintenance and the scuttle was rusted shut to the point it was inoperable. This drill found multiple scuttles like this.

Realistically a steam line rupture would kill the entire engine room crew long before they could make it to the scuttles, but I can only imagine if it was a small enough leak that people could make it to the scuttle, how loving awful it would have been to be stuck there helplessly trying to open the rusted shut life saving scuttle.

After that drill set there was some serious poo poo that happened to the division responsible and the people who signed off on the associated maintenance. To use a very specific nautical Navy term, they were turbo-hosed.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I can imagine captain's mast or courts martial were involved. Falsification of safety-related maintenance records that could result in the loss of life :stonklol:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Dareon posted:

Was browsing a blog of home plans for inspiration (for the Sims) and found this.

https://vintagehomeplans.tumblr.com/post/658520053874081792/japan-1980-toy-block-house-iii-a-large

I'm kinda torn, because it's a neat, whimsical design, clean without being super sterile. But it absolutely doesn't fit the neighborhood, and there's bound to be drainage problems on that flat roof. That photo is already showing that it's not aging well, either.

It think it's cute! It fits the neighborhood in that the shape imitates the other houses, but in render-white, like a big paper model. It's a fun take on the 80s pomo (?) thing but I do wonder how the white exterior aged.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

D34THROW posted:

I can imagine captain's mast or courts martial were involved. Falsification of safety-related maintenance records that could result in the loss of life :stonklol:

Yes, everyone who signed off the 13 week report for those MRCs went to mast. I am unsure if it went higher. I seem to recall at some point there was a spot check "performed" with one of the Div-os and so that is the line at which the public punishment stopped. Big picture wise they ended up breaking up and reforming RX-40, which was that specific division. At the time it was a "hook up for gently caress ups" sort of gig in which the other RX divisions were obligated to send people, so they sent the dregs. So all the gently caress ups got sent back to their parent division and the RMA/RO picked a bunch of senior 2nds that were known good performers, but short-timers, and sent them there as a reward. I may be mis-remembering a few details, as this was 15 years ago. poo poo, I am getting old :ohdear:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

IncredibleIgloo posted:

...At the time it was a "hook up for gently caress ups" sort of gig in which the other RX divisions were obligated to send people, so they sent the dregs...

Any idea who was responsible for putting a crew staffed this way in charge of maintenance of safety systems? That, uh, seems like a foreseeable outcome to a forced brain drain situation with no upside.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Any idea who was responsible for putting a crew staffed this way in charge of maintenance of safety systems? That, uh, seems like a foreseeable outcome to a forced brain drain situation with no upside.

While I cannot speak for the rest of the Navy, I would say it is pretty typical, or maybe even standard, that when a division is forced to send its members to staff another division they are likely to try and get rid of their troublemakers as opposed to sending their best. I would assume this sort of dynamic exists somewhat universally outside of the military too. So it can be difficult to ascribe blame to any particular individual.

That being said, this particular crew were all qualified watchstanders on a nuclear power plant, so there is some sort of baseline assumption of competence and integrity. Obviously in this particular instance it did not work out, but that is why we have external audits and drills and regulations, to catch this exact sort of thing.

We sent the biggest, most absolute fuckups, people who could not be trusted to stand watch, or even operate a mop bucket in some cases, to supplement the ship's master at arms (military police) division. Which is totally wild when you think about it, because those folks were armed. Like one guy we sent, he had been given a handful of rags and told to go clean up some residual oil that was near a motor that had been recently greased. He came back a few minutes later and said he needed more rags. I asked him what happened to the rags we gave him and he said he "Used them up". I asked him what that meant and he stated he was cleaning the motor and they got pulled in. I said "What the gently caress are you talking about?" and he went on to explain that he had rolled up the rag like a play-do snake and stuck it in past the "fence looking thing" to clean it really good, even inside, and it just got sucked in. He thought maybe he just dropped the first one in on accident so he proceeded to do it again. Twice. This particular individual never made it very far in his qualifications, we shipped him off to supplement the MAs like immediately after that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

IncredibleIgloo posted:

While I cannot speak for the rest of the Navy, I would say it is pretty typical, or maybe even standard, that when a division is forced to send its members to staff another division they are likely to try and get rid of their troublemakers as opposed to sending their best. I would assume this sort of dynamic exists somewhat universally outside of the military too. So it can be difficult to ascribe blame to any particular individual.

One of the many reasons Homeland Security is full of assholes and incompetents

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Platystemon posted:

I was going to ask “WTF is it? Straight lye?”, but replies suggest that it’s something worse.

It is basically straight lye. And now you can get it in a household dishwasher!

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

I thought surely, it's a water-guzzler but no:

yours for the low price of $5500

The secret is that they reuse most of the wash water between cycles, so you save on water and detergent. The one we had in college ruled so much, as long as people loaded it right. Just have to make sure to turn it on only when needed and to manually drain it at the end of the night and you're golden.

The only time it sucked was when someone started washing their coffee maker in it, which contaminated the wash water with coffee grounds. Took several cycles to fully flush them out out of the system.

The noise isn't really an issue, imo. Yeah they're super loud, but only for 2 minutes (as opposed to 90+ minutes on an energy efficient home dishwasher). If you're worried about steam, get a stainless steel kitchen.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Just make the entire house out of stainless steel

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Melamine panels wipe down easy. Just use that in place of drywall when building your kitchen. Then you can write dry erase marker notes to yourself everywhere.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
i was at a buddies place tonight and was talking about how my furnace was a bitch and quit working overnight, and he said i had to see the furnaces in the basement of his apartment building.

there's two of them, both have the concrete block next to them as seen in the second pic, which i think are filled in coal bunkers. both look like coal furnaces converted to gas. he says there's no forced air, heat just wafts up through the vents. anyone know anything about this stuff?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Motronic posted:

Yeah, did you notice how messed up the cabinet next to the one in the first video was? Most places are either required to or installed for good reason steam hoods over this type of equipment. It's just as expensive as you're guessing. It looks just like a commercial hood system minus the Ansul parts.

oh man, this is perfect thread material

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

gwrtheyrn posted:

Just make the entire house out of stainless steel

I work in a place with big fryers. We boil them out with a sulfuric acid/hydrogen peroxide solution. It's bone-hurting juice. Pieces of aluminum have inadvertently made their way into the fryer and were 100% dissolved.

We also have Super-Alk HD, which is pH 12.5 in 1% solution with water. It's a HEAVY amber liquid.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

That’s really bad. My mom worked ICU and pediatrics for decades, and I remember her telling me about a little kid that was in the back of his dad’s restaurant and somehow got hold of and drank commercial dish detergent. It completely ruined his esophagus and he was put on tube feeding for the rest of his life. There was a lot else wrong too but that is what I remember all these years later.

The thought of putting that in people’s home kitchens where they may be careless with it is rather horrifying. Regular household detergents may lightly burn a kid’s mouth and lips, and they will be making GBS threads for a day, but they will start vomiting before they have enough to harm them too much and as long as you pish fluids they will probably be OK. The whole tide pod challenge thing was a problem because while the companies that make these hace added a coating of bitterants to make small children and developmentally delayed people spit it out, teenagers on TikTok are extremely persistent about doing incredibly stupid things. But with concentrated liquids like that, the kid doesn’t even have to ingest it to get hurt really bad.

therobit fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 5, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s in a cartridge like a printer’s.

Kids would have to bash it open with a rock or something to be hurt by it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you're soldering the PCB in your disassembled countertop dishwasher and injecting commercial cleanser into it with needles, you probably have other hazards to children in your house

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Platystemon posted:

It’s in a cartridge like a printer’s.

Kids would have to bash it open with a rock or something to be hurt by it.

Ah, I’m that case probably not such a hazard.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

`Nemesis posted:

i anyone know anything about this stuff?

Holy poo poo

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

`Nemesis posted:

i was at a buddies place tonight and was talking about how my furnace was a bitch and quit working overnight, and he said i had to see the furnaces in the basement of his apartment building.

there's two of them, both have the concrete block next to them as seen in the second pic, which i think are filled in coal bunkers. both look like coal furnaces converted to gas. he says there's no forced air, heat just wafts up through the vents. anyone know anything about this stuff?

Octopus gravity furnaces! They're probably pushing 80-years old, and were likely converted to gas from coal. It's a passive ducting system which is why the ducts are so huge, and require an enormous amount of space for them. They're simple & reliable, but very inefficient (around 50%).

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 5, 2022

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

At a farmhouse my family owns we have an ancient octopus furnace that was converted from coal to oil. Since the property isn’t in constant use and is a 3 hour drive away, we might no notice right away if the furnace shuts off. My dad went up there last Friday and it had shut off. It was 30 degrees outside and 35 inside. By the time he left Saturday afternoon, it was able to get the place up to 50. So only capable of a fifteen degree rise in 24 hours without a huge temperature difference to the outside.

My dad wants to replace it but the whole thing is wrapped in a few inches of asbestos, so it will probably cost a fortune.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I’m staying in an AirBnB that was a garage except they added on a room to make a bedroom. It is very clear the owner DIYed this. There is not a single surface that does not have a glaring construction defect.

Edit: the waviness is from the panorama, my fault there.

Countertops are 24x24 tiles, not level, chipped and filled with grout, didnt bullnose the ends. The shower is many thin slices of tiles where they meet the corners on both sides. Not evenly spaced.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 6, 2022

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
In fairness, its really hard to predict how tiles will end up bro.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

wesleywillis posted:

In fairness, its really hard to predict how tiles will end up bro.

I think they started tiling in the middle of the wall and just went outward.

Also you can see every drywall sheet joint in the ceiling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

CarForumPoster posted:

I think they started tiling in the middle of the wall and just went outward.

Also you can see every drywall sheet joint in the ceiling.

Are you sure that's drywall? It looks bowed enough to be 1/4" ply lol