Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Crime on a Dime posted:

you write fan fiction and stuff yeah?

No.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

is this actually sanctioned by Musk or is this one of those cash grabs?

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Starlink is Space Internet, what does that have to do with NFT's / tokens?

punishedkissinger posted:

is this actually sanctioned by Musk or is this one of those cash grabs?

Looks like the latter

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

mkvltra posted:

Starlink is Space Internet, what does that have to do with NFT's / tokens?

It has VR too!

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

jokes posted:

It has VR too!

:jerkbag:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

There is not a big enough :yikes: for this

https://twitter.com/duckrabbitblog/status/1489531784937328642

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
the visual industry

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
it loving makes me super nova angry that we have to have shiity space internet instead of just doing the last mile of fiber optics to like, everywhere.

also musk rats/ifuckingloveascience types telling actual astronomers they dont get space and that Musk is going to go ssj ironman Ricka&Morty on Mars bro.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Starlink looks like nonsense... another scheme to drum up hype and increase stock prices. Kinda like the Cyberwhistle, the thing with the car in space, and the flamethrower.

Who do I lobby to get fiber to my area??

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

How are u posted:

what the heck is 'web3' ?
Web3 is the thing where webpages tell you to open it in the app for a better experience but the app sucks even worse.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
da gently caress is cyber whistle?

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

PhazonLink posted:

You know, the Cyberwhistle!

https://shop.tesla.com/product/cyberwhistle?sku=1715672-00-A

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

liquid metal sim pick

Khorne
May 1, 2002

mkvltra posted:

Starlink looks like nonsense... another scheme to drum up hype and increase stock prices. Kinda like the Cyberwhistle, the thing with the car in space, and the flamethrower.

Who do I lobby to get fiber to my area??
Fiber roll out is cheap as hell to most places and yet it's not there. It sucks!! I've been part of planning some few hundred mile fiber runs at a previous job and the cost is crazy low. I suppose for telco/cable cos the cost is in fighting with local governments, entrenched monopolies, the reality that they haven't even updated phone/cable infrastructure in half a century in many places & don't have anyone on payroll who knows anything about it, etcetc.

Starlink is awesome tho. The only problem with Starlink is it should have never been allowed to be proprietary. It should have been a global effort for an open mesh with access rules. That way when China, India, and others want similar services they can add capacity to the existing network instead of what's going to happen now: starlink is going to launch a poo poo ton of satellites, then china is, then amazon might, and we end up with a ton more satellites than we need that don't share coverage.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 4, 2022

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Khorne posted:

Fiber roll out is cheap as hell to most places and yet it's not there. It sucks!!

Starlink is awesome tho. The only problem with Starlink is it should have never been allowed to be proprietary. It should have been a global effort for an open mesh with access rules. That way when China, India, and others want similar services they can add capacity to the existing network instead of what's going to happen now: starlink is going to launch a poo poo ton of satellites, then china is, then amazon might, and we end up with a ton more satellites than we need that don't share coverage.

Huh. I didn't know that, thank you!

Careful, though, you just put a target on your back. Speaking analytically, as opposed to hatefully, about Technology Corporations is considered very rude to many people on this forum.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Starlink is one of those things where it's better than having no internet but it absolutely will suck.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

punishedkissinger posted:

Starlink is one of those things where it's better than having no internet but it absolutely will suck.
Yeah, don't get me wrong, Starlink isn't useful for residential internet in places where cable or equivalent is available. Even places with solid 5G plans might not prefer it if phone companies get rid of arbitrarily low caps. Fiber roll out and replacing aging infrastructure is 100% the way to go and the us government has consistently dropped the ball on pursuing telecos who waste resources, monopolies on internet access, and all kinds of wasteful, shortsighted and predatory practices. Any type of broadband infrastructure investment that goes into a project like Starlink is wasteful.

It doesn't compare to any type of good landline. Weather can be an issue, including temperature changes, there are drops in coverage due to the network being incomplete, and it consumes significantly more power than one would expect (up to ~140W which is up to almost $30/mo in some areas, although the average power consumption over a 30 day period is closer to ~$10-$12/mo in even the most expensive areas.) If you're off grid that's a serious concern. It's not really designed for areas with high population density and they're very careful about not over subscribing currently.

The strength of starlink is in truly remote locations and for highly mobile things -- the real killer application and why the DoD is one of Starlink's biggest customers. ~40ms latency penalty for stable 100mbps-1gbps on any type of craft and in any location is insane for military applications. For people in truly rural areas with no way to hook into an existing backbone it's also a good option, and they're starting to sell a plan that's designed for one dish in a community that then uses traditional infrastructure to connect an entire community to a backbone they previously didn't really have access to.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 4, 2022

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I thought Starlink was that toys to life game that had Star Fox in it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
https://twitter.com/pinkwug/status/1486759538359472130?s=21

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Is there anyway to see the secondary sales price of NFTs? I'm mean I know its all recorded on the chain but has anyone seem a link to someone breaking it down.

I'm really interested in seeing if anyone who isn't an insider manages to offload their ape or whatever for any significant money.

Obviously the token creators make a killing selling the poo poo to the marks, and my impression is that the marks are then just sitting on the NFT they bought waiting for it to be worth $500,000. But, they're getting stolen....who would steal something they couldn't sell? Is the whole point to wait for the crying ape owner to beg for his ape back and offer a reward? So in effect the entire value of the NFT is based on the continuing belief of the owner that it is worth something. If anyone but the owner had possession of it, it would be worth nothing.

As with anything in the crypto space searching for actual information is a bloody nightmare if you don't know where to look. The dense forest of shills and hypemen keep all but the strongest out.

Edit: From what I read the secondary market is growing and even bigger than the primary market, but even just reading puff pieces and blurb on the coiner websites it reeks of wash trading and bullshit

Illuminti fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 4, 2022

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Remember up until this year (and maybe still idk) you could "sell" your NFT to yourself and not have to report it on taxes or anything, so a lot of NFTs may have been "sold" multiple times where it was just the owner selling to themselves.

So effectively there's no good way to track sales

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Illuminti posted:

Is there anyway to see the secondary sales price of NFTs? I'm mean I know its all recorded on the chain but has anyone seem a link to someone breaking it down.

I'm really interested in seeing if anyone who isn't an insider manages to offload their ape or whatever for any significant money.

Obviously the token creators make a killing selling the poo poo to the marks, and my impression is that the marks are then just sitting on the NFT they bought waiting for it to be worth $500,000. But, they're getting stolen....who would steal something they couldn't sell? Is the whole point to wait for the crying ape owner to beg for his ape back and offer a reward? So in effect the entire value of the NFT is based on the continuing belief of the owner that it is worth something. If anyone but the owner had possession of it, it would be worth nothing.

As with anything in the crypto space searching for actual information is a bloody nightmare if you don't know where to look. The dense forest of shills and hypemen keep all but the strongest out.

Edit: From what I read the secondary market is growing and even bigger than the primary market, but even just reading puff pieces and blurb on the coiner websites it reeks of wash trading and bullshit

If you can steal it for free you can just sell it for any amount and be up that much minus gas fees - (infinity percent profit) whereas the dipshit who bought it originally paid $10,000 and wouldn't sell it for less than whatever they need for their desired ROI%. Once the steal happens I'm under the impression it's a race between the thief to sell it and the "owner" to complain to exchanges to please flag this thing as stolen. I would bet the thief can win that most of the time

You are understanding correctly already - there is no underlying asset and therefore there is no "actual information" to find about its value. Even the image associated with the NFT is not an underlying asset, it's just associated.

Thinking about the receipt on the blockchain (the NFT itself) as proof you bought a certain jpg is backwards. It is more accurate that the jpg profile pics of apes are more like "evidence" that you bought a receipt for nothing.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
What incentive do the exchanges have to halt the sales of stolen apes? Considering the absolutely “code is law” and “gently caress you got mine” and “it’s your fault you were scammed” attitude NFTs are built upon and all

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Gutcruncher posted:

What incentive do the exchanges have to halt the sales of stolen apes? Considering the absolutely “code is law” and “gently caress you got mine” and “it’s your fault you were scammed” attitude NFTs are built upon and all

:shrug: this is purely anecdotal but i dont think they intervene very much. you hear about people buying stolen apes and then selling them back to the original "victim" for the same price out of pity or mercy or just to keep themselves from getting cyberbullied or whatever. but they were still able to buy them.

also this. the irony of the fact that blockchain was the whole point, but also is significantly worse than the "old fashioned" way of transactions not using the blockchain, is 2 delicious
vvvvvvv

Doctor Dogballs fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 4, 2022

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

Because the real money in all this decentralized bullshit is to be the company that centralizes it. If opensea doesn’t delist stolen stuff people will realize it’s all a scam and stop buying NFTs. Since their whole business is centralizing NFTs they’re incentivized to make suckers think they care and will take care of them.

Since the ecosystem is already centralized on opensea there really is no need for the blockchain at all, they can already effectively say the blockchain is wrong and their jobs would be a lot easier if they just eliminated the blockchain aspect because then they could actually reverse the transactions

waydownLo
Oct 1, 2016

Potato Salad posted:

The major holders with huge bags may be aware of the following:

Cryptocurrency overwhelmingly derives its value from leeches and major crime, gently caress them, burn in hell.

Extremely good post; brought a genuine smile to my face. Thank you, OP

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I hope autopilot drives his stupid rear end straight into a wall.

Doge whistle wtf

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Gutcruncher posted:

think about it for a second: if you have the private key...

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Phuzun posted:

I hope autopilot drives his stupid rear end straight into a wall.

Doge whistle wtf

Kids love the doge whistle!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Khorne posted:

Fiber roll out is cheap as hell to most places and yet it's not there. It sucks!! I've been part of planning some few hundred mile fiber runs at a previous job and the cost is crazy low. I suppose for telco/cable cos the cost is in fighting with local governments, entrenched monopolies, the reality that they haven't even updated phone/cable infrastructure in half a century in many places & don't have anyone on payroll who knows anything about it, etcetc.

That's probably intentional. It's no coincidence that these giant satellite constellations, requiring tons of rocket launches to sustain, are mostly being proposed by people involved with rocket companies whose business models require a lot more rocket launches than there's actually demand for.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

PhazonLink posted:

it loving makes me super nova angry that we have to have shiity space internet instead of just doing the last mile of fiber optics to like, everywhere.

also musk rats/ifuckingloveascience types telling actual astronomers they dont get space and that Musk is going to go ssj ironman Ricka&Morty on Mars bro.

60% of all Africans have 4G internet access and they didn't have to gently caress up the night sky to get it. Somehow I doubt peoples' lives in the Congo will be improved by satellite internet.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Ohh now I get it. It's for yachts lol

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
One thing I don't get about the Metaverse or whatever is, it just looks so crappy- if they're trying to sell people on an alternate reality then shouldn't the graphics be better? Why would anyone want to spend time in a fake world that's less visually interesting or appealing than the real one? Get some loving level design happening here.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Futanari Damacy posted:

One thing I don't get about the Metaverse or whatever is, it just looks so crappy- if they're trying to sell people on an alternate reality then shouldn't the graphics be better? Why would anyone want to spend time in a fake world that's less visually interesting or appealing than the real one? Get some loving level design happening here.
If it looks good it can't run on a cellphone.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Futanari Damacy posted:

All the good GPUs are busy mining butts, so they have to make the graphics run on a 9800GT.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Futanari Damacy posted:

There's a reason Meta's stock is plummeting

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Futanari Damacy posted:

There is too much money involved in it for it to be interesting. It’s the same reason why Grubhub ads look like poo poo.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mad Dragon posted:

All the good GPUs are busy mining butts, so they have to make the graphics run on a 9800GT.

The 9800GT ran loving Unreal 3. This like..... voodoo 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Somfin posted:

There's a reason Meta's stock is plummeting

Apologies if I'm being an idiot by missing an obvious joke, but Meta and "the metaverse" are unrelated. Meta is just what Facebook - the company - rebranded to, since they've been expanding into other things for a while now. Similar to how Google created Alphabet. Meta stock plummeted because their profits failed to meet expectations due to an increase in spending.

I'm sure you were probably joking but I've seen a few people confuse the metaverse for somehow being Facebook related, it's not. It's the stupid name that these crypto idiots are giving to their utopian world where crypto rules all and every aspect of our lives somehow lives on a blockchain.