Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

I’m probably not getting it now anyway because of the chip shortage. So it looks like I’ll just get the normal stack like my current one lol

I just thought the mix of analogue and digital was neat :)
Oh dang, they're cutting that out too? I was looking into a Countryman a few months back and the upgraded stereo option became limited to the JCW model. Heard the digital display isn't really used for much so I guess not a huge loss at least.

I like the first and second gen too cause it's just the tach, don't need no speedo :v:
It's a dumb little thing but I like that the Hyundai N models have a tach focused screen available on their digital dash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Not trying to be very scientific or anything here, opinions on buying: Golf R or Focus RS, both 2017 both manual?

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
vote for golf r

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Focus RS. Golf R’s are a dime a dozen compared to the relative rarity of the FoRS. Pure performance.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Not trying to be very scientific or anything here, opinions on buying: Golf R or Focus RS, both 2017 both manual?

Super scientific answer: drive both, whichever makes you smile more wins.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Night Danger Moose posted:

Super scientific answer: drive both, whichever makes you smile more wins.

Golf will have a more livable suspension for day to day, but the RS is going to look cooler and be more unique.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

important question: is the RS nitrous blue?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Fellatio del Toro posted:

important question: is the RS nitrous blue?

Important question 2: is the Golf Lapiz Blue?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
This is kind of scary, because they are in fact Lapiz Blue and Nitrous Blue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The choice is clear.

You must buy both.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Focus is far far more fun to drive imo. Drive them back to back if you can. I’d love to hear your thoughts!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
both will be cool cars, the Focus will be/is a collector car

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is there a difference between the Fo’s nitrous blue and the Mustang’s grabber blue? They’re both so good IMO.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Rolo posted:

Is there a difference between the Fo’s nitrous blue and the Mustang’s grabber blue? They’re both so good IMO.

Nitrous blue has metal flake in it that you really only see in direct sun, grabber blue is a bit more flat I think.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

RS is going to be more fun, R is going to have a lightyears better interior.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Everyone else has said it but it's basically do you want the better daily driver/livable subtle dad car that can move (Golf R) or do you want the super raw rear end hauling hot hatch that is a pain in the rear end to use as a regular car (Focus RS)

FWIW I think depreciation on the RS is going to be much milder considering it's the last of it's kind for now

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Get the RS because when you get sick of living with it after a couple years you'll still be able to get an R. If you get the R you might not be able to get an RS in a couple years.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The RS is never going to deprecate and is already a classic imho. If you can, buy that one now. It will just be more expensive tomorrow.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
get the RS and put it in a nice comfy garage for 25 years, then daily the R

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I went and drove a Kona N at the local Hyundai dealer and loved it, and probably would have just bought it then and there until they guy said it had a $5k markup. I understand the ionic markup I guess, but even those weren't selling on the dealer lot, they had like 10 of them and were only marked up like 3k. Anyway, no way I am spending 40k on a Kona. I took a shot of my GTI by an Ionic 5 for size comparison since everyone says they are so large compared to what you think they are. It was large, but not that big.

Anyway, if you are in the Portland area and want to see a bunch of Ionic 5s, there are tons at the beaverton Hyundai on the lot and for sale.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rusty posted:

I went and drove a Kona N at the local Hyundai dealer and loved it, and probably would have just bought it then and there until they guy said it had a $5k markup. I understand the ionic markup I guess, but even those weren't selling on the dealer lot, they had like 10 of them and were only marked up like 3k. Anyway, no way I am spending 40k on a Kona. I took a shot of my GTI by an Ionic 5 for size comparison since everyone says they are so large compared to what you think they are. It was large, but not that big.

Anyway, if you are in the Portland area and want to see a bunch of Ionic 5s, there are tons at the beaverton Hyundai on the lot and for sale.

the Ioniq5 is the first car I want to do a badge delete on—not because I have anything against driving a Hyundai, but because the badge totally ruins the aesthetic of the car

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Holy poo poo that looks massive to me wild

Also get the FoRS goon

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

do not talk to me or my son ever again

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've driven a goons FoRS and it was friggin awesome. Get the FoRS.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Sucks the Golf R had like 45 different color options but I only see the same boring blue/gray/black/white, sometimes red.

https://www.karenradleyvw.com/blog/what-colors-does-the-2019-volkswagen-golf-r-come-in/

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Styles Bitchley posted:

Sucks the Golf R had like 45 different color options but I only see the same boring blue/gray/black/white, sometimes red.

https://www.karenradleyvw.com/blog/what-colors-does-the-2019-volkswagen-golf-r-come-in/

There is a dude at my work that has one in what is very close to the mopar lime green and it looks sweet as hell.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Ok Comboomer posted:

the Ioniq5 is the first car I want to do a badge delete on—not because I have anything against driving a Hyundai, but because the badge totally ruins the aesthetic of the car
it does look bad on the car, but also I was surprised how unimpressed I was seeing them in person. They are nice, but not 53k nice for the 225hp ones.

What I was impressed with was the Kona N. Seems like a lot of people hate they way they look, but in person I honestly thought it looked better than my GTI and certainly was faster and sportier. It has an overboost, DCC, and valved exhaust I think. It isn't piped in, and changes tone when switching driving profiles. It's basically the veloster in a small CUV. It's more hatch than CUV though, except you ride higher than a hatch.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Golf R if you're buying a car to use, RS if you're buying a car to look at.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

FoRS in my 20s/30s, GolfR in my 40s.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
R in the streets, RS in the sheets. *

* I would get the R

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Rusty posted:

What I was impressed with was the Kona N. Seems like a lot of people hate they way they look, but in person I honestly thought it looked better than my GTI and certainly was faster and sportier. It has an overboost, DCC, and valved exhaust I think. It isn't piped in, and changes tone when switching driving profiles. It's basically the veloster in a small CUV. It's more hatch than CUV though, except you ride higher than a hatch.

I know CUVs sell but IMO the Kona is just too small and cramped inside - the i30N is cheaper, not much larger externally but far more practical.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Went with a friend to test drive both back to back in 2017, he went with the RS and he made the best choice IMO. It's his daily with an 80 mile round trip for work and he keeps it in track mode at all times, apparently he loves it. Nitrous Blue, naturally.

But in a hypothetical match up between MY 2023 hot hatches, if it's just the Golf R and GR Corolla then I'd gladly go with the Corolla.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

dissss posted:

I know CUVs sell but IMO the Kona is just too small and cramped inside - the i30N is cheaper, not much larger externally but far more practical.
Well in the US you either get the Kona or the Veloster, we don't have the fancy hatch. I thought the Kona had plenty of room though, size seemed the same as my GTI. I don' t need a lot of room though, so I didn't notice if it was smaller. It certainly was higher.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 6, 2022

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I know a hot hatch is a Swiss Army knife of “do it all and remain practical,” but I think you’d regret not getting the sportiest option available when you have the chance. The Golf really only has interior niceties and a softer ride going for it, and the Focus has everything else.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Styles Bitchley posted:

So many good colors https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO_jeGt8lSs

e: Found an e-golf buddy to park next to at Costco the other day

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 6, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Styles Bitchley posted:

all of those were part of a like 3k custom order program

i like colors but that's a lot of money

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
For an additional $5k you can turn your boring Golf into your very own pseudo-Spektrum model, just make sure you find a good body shop to do it

Heck, for 1/3 that price you can get it done temporarily with a wrap, and swap colors in 5-7 years

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Teal Golf :stwoon:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The VW dealer in Lebanon PA has a 6-speed Pomelo Yellow ‘22 GTI but I’ll be drat if I feel like paying $40k for a Golf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Imperador do Brasil posted:

The VW dealer in Lebanon PA has a 6-speed Pomelo Yellow ‘22 GTI but I’ll be drat if I feel like paying $40k for a Golf.

Buy a ‘19 and get it painted. Way better looking front end and interior anyway