Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Guys can you lay off this topic for a bit, you’ve given me a semi-Asimov and it’s very embarrassing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Why Are We Still Talking About Dune? A Panel About Dune.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

wheatpuppy posted:

There seemed to be a lot of cake-related sessions. Makes me wonder what I've been missing at past conventions.

Unfortunately the cake is

The cake is a

The cake is a truly enjoyable part of most conventions

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

wheatpuppy posted:

There seemed to be a lot of cake-related sessions. Makes me wonder what I've been missing at past conventions.

i figure the programs are like

1:00 panel on whatever
2:00 panel on whatever
3:00 cake
4:00 panel on whatever
5:00 panel on whatever

so cake shows up every year for decades and is the most common scifi convention event

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

EVIL Gibson posted:

What sci-fi convention has BDSM as a topic and go "maybe a bunch of nerds would be interested in this" .
... actually, Rule 34 exists so of course

You're wildly underestimating how creepy cons can get.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

feedmyleg posted:

You're wildly underestimating how creepy cons can get.

nah, I got a pretty good feel of it.

i know about the hentai "appreciation" rooms.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/mattlodder/status/1488894436801232896

https://twitter.com/msamahita/status/1489111310029795328

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Heh, that's what I call my, uh, nothing, really.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

:ok:

edit: I am still trying to grok what they are saying. Like... they recognized common wordings a model like GPT uses like "BDSM Cakes"?

EVIL Gibson has a new favorite as of 02:09 on Feb 4, 2022

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

They figured something was fishy when a line said "see chart above" despite there not being one, and various other idiosyncracies.

https://twitter.com/mattlodder/status/1488894438478864387

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

stolen from the yospos markov thread:

For some reason, it insists Frasier Crane is a woman (best of 5)

Adding in Niles helped a bit:

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 05:59 on Feb 4, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

EVIL Gibson posted:

edit: I am still trying to grok what they are saying. Like... they recognized common wordings a model like GPT uses like "BDSM Cakes"?

And also because the rephraser literally swaps out direct synonyms with disregard for anything a human might actually write, or if they're rephrasing a commonly-used phrase to be something absurd and alien.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

EVIL Gibson posted:

that post wasnt a reply to your post lol

"BDSM Cakes" is markov chain nonsense based on scifi convention programs

the tweets are about students using online paraphrasing tools to hide plagiarism, and the OP of the tweets recognized weird words and busted them

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Carthag Tuek posted:

that post wasnt a reply to your post lol

"BDSM Cakes" is markov chain nonsense based on scifi convention programs

the tweets are about students using online paraphrasing tools to hide plagiarism, and the OP of the tweets recognized weird words and busted them

I was using BDSM Cakes as a pure nonsense joke

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

EVIL Gibson posted:

I was using BDSM Cakes as a pure nonsense joke

welp

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

quote:

Would it be as calm and collected as Martin Crane's? Or as irate and unhinged as Niles's? And, most importantly, would Niles be able to shoot someone? The question makes Frasier feel uneasy, even though he knows that there is not much time before the robber arrives.

see this is the problem! frasier is one of the bank robbers! not much time before? hes already there gently caress!

aside from that, nice recall on characters and theme

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
There's always an Oglaf for everything, proving that BDSM Cakes is valid worldbuilding.

:nws:https://www.oglaf.com/fingerbun/:nws:

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I'm amazed that that engine is Markov chain -based, the results seem way too coherent for that!

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

PFY ProcGen: This reminds me of the "sexual orientation pay hole"

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

It'd almost be clever if it wasn't so stupidly done. The cheating student didn't even bother to check if their essay referred to books that exist.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

That sounds a lot like work

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Brandfarlig posted:

It'd almost be clever if it wasn't so stupidly done. The cheating student didn't even bother to check if their essay referred to books that exist.

literally someone from my high school class got busted for that in the 1990s, it aint new

pro tip: read the fake submission

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

EVIL Gibson posted:

Not really; they noticed things like references to "chart above" when there is no chart, which got them to to dig further. Other teachers mention stuff like citations of Adam Smith's The Wealth of Nations being rendered as "The Abundance of Countries" or common phrases like "separation of powers" turning into "division of competencies".

The root cause being that the student is trying to automate the process of "run stuff through a thesaurus so simple 'does this text appear in exactly the same form in another work' plagiarism checks fail" but the automated tool they're using can't tell the difference between the titles of other works being cited, common terms of art, and the text surrounding them.

I know people who did this by hand ("the teacher says I have to do this 'in my own words', so I'll read a paragraph from the textbook, then reword each sentence, so that counts") but this was also in, like, grade 3-4.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I messed around a bit with https://narrative-device.herokuapp.com/createstory

Jason Bourne and Austin Powers

quote:

Austin Powers and Jason Bourne were two of the world's most famous secret agents. Powers was a wisecracking, debonair man with an outrageous sense of humor. Bourne was a mysterious, highly skilled warrior who was skilled in espionage and assassination. Powers was assigned to protect the president of the United States. Bourne was tasked with infiltrating a terrorist organization. Their paths would cross again when Bourne was sent to kill Powers. The two men would go on to become friends and partners in fighting crime.

Goku and Superman

quote:

As a child, Goku dreamed of becoming the strongest fighter in the universe. Now an adult, he has finally achieved his goal and become the strongest Saiyan warrior on Earth. But when he hears of a powerful alien called Superman who can do things no one else can, Goku knows he must find him and prove his worth.

Seems to work best when you use two characters, or a genre and a piece of media. A lot of attempts got blocked by the filter unfortunately.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/joe_dogranch/status/1489707463268089859

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:ohdear:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i did not see that coming

i do see this coming lol

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
they must have upgraded their servers or something, it is processing things super quick right now.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

fermun posted:

they must have upgraded their servers or something, it is processing things super quick right now.

How the hell did that one make it through, I can't even get it to not censor the word butt on sight

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

lol excellent

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

god he was so good.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I was trying to get a variant of the bear and the atheist joke, but sometimes it thinks I mean bar.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Well that took a turn

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Actually they didn't take a turn, they drove straight into the cop car

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1490098453376081923

https://twitter.com/Boringstein/status/1490104422403346439

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Well that took a turn

I like the jump in logic from 1 character wearing headphones to the other singing along with the music. And the man is both walking the opposite direction and following them.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

It was then that Wario remembered about his basement full of hostages...