Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coolness Averted posted:

Regional foods are really weird. When I went on a road trip to Texas and New Mexico I somehow wound up at greasy spoons and hole in the wall Mexican places where in some cases the staff didn't even speak English, but still I could only get pace picante and tabasco, and no place had corn tortillas. In Texas I even stopped in at a grocery store that had mini flour tortillas.
I know that's not the entirety of the state, but I was surprised to find Mexican on par with what I'd had in Maryland.

It takes a special kind of determination to even exist in New Mexico without green chile being served to you
Did you only eat at Taco Bells in truck stops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Coolness Averted posted:

Regional foods are really weird. When I went on a road trip to Texas and New Mexico I somehow wound up at greasy spoons and hole in the wall Mexican places where in some cases the staff didn't even speak English, but still I could only get pace picante and tabasco, and no place had corn tortillas. In Texas I even stopped in at a grocery store that had mini flour tortillas.
I know that's not the entirety of the state, but I was surprised to find Mexican on par with what I'd had in Maryland.

Texmex is wild. I remember going to a place with some ref friends that were from Texas. They were very excited to eat at this place that was, like, below what I'd expect from a family Mexican restaurant in VA or Pittsburgh.

I also had the audacity to order Tecate instead of a slushie margarita, so maybe I was wrong?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Just so my friends from the north part of the US, aka the worst part of the US, are aware there is a difference between Texas Mexican food and Mexico Mexican food.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Regarde Aduck posted:

I’ve never been probed, just treat people with respect its not hard

you never posted in a kitty probe thread? for shame

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

oldpainless posted:

Just so my friends from the north part of the US, aka the worst part of the US, are aware there is a difference between Texas Mexican food and Mexico Mexican food.

I'm kinda curious, is there a map of where I might find decent birria?

Maybe a foodie trend, but it's great to have a taco that comes with soup.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

oldpainless posted:

Keep talking poo poo and the "best" part of the US will lose a second war.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

cult_hero posted:

I'm kinda curious, is there a map of where I might find decent birria?

San Diego's got plenty of birrierias.

Boba Pearl posted:

Keep talking poo poo and the "best" part of the US will lose a second war.

The Southwest has the best Mexican food in the country so he's actually right for once. Unless he's talking about, say, Mexican food in Alabama.

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 07:58 on Feb 5, 2022

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
California is not the South West, and everyone knows the best Mexican food in America comes from Los Angeles.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Boba Pearl posted:

California is not the South West, and everyone knows the best Mexican food in America comes from Los Angeles.

California pretends it's not the Southwest but it is. Except for the parts that are the Northwest.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I mean to be fair, it's more like the rest of the south should stop pretending their different "OH no we're the south west," says the guy from Arizona, pretending like that's not the south to 99% of people not from Arizona or Nevada

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

the best part of the US is hawaii

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Boba Pearl posted:

The good part of the state is

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The good part of the state is this tiny club in San Francisco where I get wasted and girls tell me I'm cute and het girls aren't allowed.

So like maybe 50 ft^2

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Waffle House is the best garbage food you can eat.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Boba Pearl posted:

The good part of the state is this tiny club in San Francisco where I get wasted and girls tell me I'm cute and het girls aren't allowed.

So like maybe 50 ft^2
San Francisco is a toilet

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
100% agreed.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Boba Pearl posted:

I mean to be fair, it's more like the rest of the south should stop pretending their different "OH no we're the south west," says the guy from Arizona, pretending like that's not the south to 99% of people not from Arizona or Nevada
Agreed. It's not like most of the country gives a gently caress where north of DC we are, and I know for sure if you're northeast of NYC it's all the same. Only differences are which team's gear you wear (everyone else hates all of our teams, though) and the pizza argument.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The Southwest has the best Mexican food in the country so he's actually right for once.
And just when have I been wrong, other than the time i said you made good posts?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

oldpainless posted:

And just when have I been wrong, other than the time i said you made good posts?

Oldcomebackless

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Boba Pearl posted:

Correct. That's the food I was holding New Mexico to. A hole in the wall where I had to translate the menu to the table should not have been Denny's tier Mexican food.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/saitomri/status/1489169742187626498

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Many years ago I once chased a shoplifter half a mile through and around a busy London high street when I was about 20.

He dashed out through a security alarm with an armful of shirts at a store I was working at and my brain just went *Chase!* like a Greyhound seeing a rabbit.

I lost him when he dived into a block of flats with a security door he had the electronic fob for.

It wasn't until I was walking back that I was "Wait, was that a good idea".

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I didn't exactly chase a shoplifter once, but at my first job my coworker goes "Did you see that old lady in the puffer jacket? I think she stole something..." I walked out into the parking lot to see if I could spot her, and as I turn around I see her at the other end of the lot. She turns around at the same moment and locks eyes with me, and then says "I'm so sorry", and opens her jacket and like 20 hundred-piece socket sets come tumbling out of her jacket. I still have no idea how she fit so many socket sets into her jacket.

That, and we caught a guy shoplifting batteries. Security hauled him into the back, and confiscated the 100+ packs of batteries he had on him, laying them out on the table. The cops eventually show up, and the first thing the cop says on seeing all the batteries is "... jesus, exactly how many batteries does your wife need for her vibrator?!"

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Cool man.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

oldpainless posted:

Actual Mexican Food > Tex Mex > Taco Bell is not an obscure ranking.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I didn't exactly chase a shoplifter once, but at my first job my coworker goes "Did you see that old lady in the puffer jacket? I think she stole something..." I walked out into the parking lot to see if I could spot her, and as I turn around I see her at the other end of the lot. She turns around at the same moment and locks eyes with me, and then says "I'm so sorry", and opens her jacket and like 20 hundred-piece socket sets come tumbling out of her jacket. I still have no idea how she fit so many socket sets into her jacket.

That, and we caught a guy shoplifting batteries. Security hauled him into the back, and confiscated the 100+ packs of batteries he had on him, laying them out on the table. The cops eventually show up, and the first thing the cop says on seeing all the batteries is "... jesus, exactly how many batteries does your wife need for her vibrator?!"

And then you high fived the cop

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022

A while back, but thinking this over, I wonder if the reason for all of them, besides being created by Japanese telecoms, is that so many of the designers and programmers on the team have had autistic traits, and it manifested in there being an overabundance of different kinds of train emoji (in particular) because to them, the differences MUST and NEED to be shown because they're very very important differences. Ties in as well to another poster's recent comment in (another?) thread about the Metaverse feeling so 'stilted and off-putting', and how it tries so hard to force its normalization, similar to how it must be for the neurodivergent when they are forced to also try to 'act normal'. Zucker et al autistic? But I digress....

Emojis seem to be pretty helpful for a lot of people who can't easily convey or interpret expressions via text alone. I've also heard the opposite from a few though, that certain emojis can be vague and cause confusion instead. The idea someone upthread mentioned about how long it will take before emoji become so nuanced and specific and abstract that it becomes a full language itself is really fascinating to think about. Gonna be a looooot of updates to download from here on out. Should we just keep calling that new language "Emoji" or something else, like "Verbal and Gesticulating Symbolism"?

Or VaGS for short :heysexy:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I’ve only eaten at a Waffle House a couple of time when I was stuck in Alabama many years ago. It was ok. Sort of like a substandard diner.

Thanks for listening

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

A while back, but thinking this over, I wonder if the reason for all of them, besides being created by Japanese telecoms, is that so many of the designers and programmers on the team have had autistic traits, and it manifested in there being an overabundance of different kinds of train emoji (in particular) because to them, the differences MUST and NEED to be shown because they're very very important differences. Ties in as well to another poster's recent comment in (another?) thread about the Metaverse feeling so 'stilted and off-putting', and how it tries so hard to force its normalization, similar to how it must be for the neurodivergent when they are forced to also try to 'act normal'. Zucker et al autistic? But I digress....

Emojis seem to be pretty helpful for a lot of people who can't easily convey or interpret expressions via text alone. I've also heard the opposite from a few though, that certain emojis can be vague and cause confusion instead. The idea someone upthread mentioned about how long it will take before emoji become so nuanced and specific and abstract that it becomes a full language itself is really fascinating to think about. Gonna be a looooot of updates to download from here on out. Should we just keep calling that new language "Emoji" or something else, like "Verbal and Gesticulating Symbolism"?

Or VaGS for short :heysexy:

I got the feeling that emoji communication is for us oldies, the kids talk in memes.

I think.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

FFT posted:

Actual Mexican Food > Tex Mex > Taco Bell is not an obscure ranking.

Comida fronteriza, of which Tex-Mex is part, is absolutely a regional Mexican cuisine. I'm not even sure you can say that there is such a category as "actual Mexican food" when there are so many regions, each of which has food that's quite different from the others: the cuisine of Oaxaca is pretty different from that of Puebla. It's also obviously true that there are a ton of lovely Mexican restaurants in the US; that said, I've eaten amazing food in San Antonio.

Taco Bell is definitely garbage, though.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Comida fronteriza, of which Tex-Mex is part, is absolutely a regional Mexican cuisine. I'm not even sure you can say that there is such a category as "actual Mexican food" when there are so many regions, each of which has food that's quite different from the others: the cuisine of Oaxaca is pretty different from that of Puebla. It's also obviously true that there are a ton of lovely Mexican restaurants in the US; that said, I've eaten amazing food in San Antonio.

Taco Bell is definitely garbage, though.

goons are very emotional beings and cannot reconcile that food from a place they do not like is good or legit

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

hawowanlawow posted:

goons are very emotional beings and cannot reconcile that food from a place they do not like is good or legit

goons are very emotional and cannot let a food derail die

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Dylan16807 posted:

2^20 is about a million, this is 50% larger than that.

The number they give is a perfect match for 3 sizes, 4 preps, and 17 ingredient options.

So which ingredient was added later?

the gravy is a comparatively recent addition, they only started putting it on the menu a couple years ago but i don't know how we ever lived without it

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

San Francisco is a toilet

Yeah but the rest of the bay is pretty cool and we also got banger Mexican food

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Saw this promoted tweet, and as usual, people tweet out parts of it in the comments so you don't actually have to click through all of that bullshit.

The promoted tweet:

Aaaaand probably the best bot/spam response I've ever seen. Surprise ending!

:eyepop:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

FFT posted:

BEHOLD

Cheese and jalapeños sound good, but I think Waffle house uses picked jalapeños which is bullshit.

Fresh or gently caress off.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Dylan16807 posted:

2^20 is about a million, this is 50% larger than that.

The number they give is a perfect match for 3 sizes, 4 preps, and 17 ingredient options.

So which ingredient was added later?

I thiiiink capped is new? (since I left Waffle House territory, sob!)

e: Apparently country gravy is the newest which BLASPHEMY how could it ever not have been there.

Arsenic Lupin has a new favorite as of 17:19 on Feb 5, 2022

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BigRed0427 posted:

Cheese and jalapeños sound good, but I think Waffle house uses picked jalapeños which is bullshit.

Fresh or gently caress off.

So much for the tolerant left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/PatrickForNYC/status/1489315968996237316?s=20

i would simply pick up used needles off the street myself