Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm gonna find the biggest mace or hammer i can find and use it until i find a bigger one

first time through ds2 and i’m using a mace and it’s so satisfying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Vintersorg posted:

The trailer for DS2 using Jethro Tull was so badass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0jC38feoB4

I never watched DS2's trailer or knew that it used Locomotive Breath as it's backing.

DS2 just got a little better in my eyes, never thought I'd see the day

i'll have to consider if it swaps places with DS3 for last place now

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 5, 2022

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
My PS5 just came in today. :getin:

Can't wait for this game. Between this and Forbidden West this month, this thing is going to get some major use.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Ohhhhh god dammit we read the release date wrong, it's 2023! :doh:

Nah, it's just pushed back to February 29th.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

a.p. dent posted:

first time through ds2 and i’m using a mace and it’s so satisfying

The regular-rear end mace was a real good weapon in DS2 and the giant clubs are even better.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/berserksouls/status/1489632338732404740

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

repost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGCZyOnA51I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDnBx6x8q2U

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Feb 5, 2022

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Its weird, the mace in DS2 was a killer pve weapon but mediocre pvp, but in DS3 the mace was mediocre pve and terrifying in in pvp.

Its peer weapon, the reinforced club, was really good in DS1 and DS3, but not DS2.

You never know what to expect in these games. Except longsword, longsword is consistent.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Elden Ring theme is so goddamn good.

LOOK UP AT THE SKY

IT BURNS

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Thundercracker posted:

God, the Bartholomew trailer for DS1 just owns owns owns. When I saw it I was immediately hooked. It's so well edited too.

https://youtu.be/93LFz_j5fQA

I've tried watching it multiple times, but whatever that genre of music is that's like "aamma sad blues cowboy but also tough gonna appropriate gospel if that ain't enough <kick clap clap> saying lord lord lordy lord shot my lover and now she died" loving sucks and makes me click off of any trailer instantly.

It's not as cringey as slowed down acapella versions of 90s pop songs, but it sounds like how Ed Hardy shirts look.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 5, 2022

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Quote/edit

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Disco Pope posted:

I've tried watching it multiple times, but whatever that genre of music is that's like "aamma sad blues cowboy but also tough gonna appropriate gospel if that ain't enough <kick clap clap> saying lord lord lordy lord shot my lover and now she died" loving sucks and makes me click off of any trailer instantly.

It's not as cringey as slowed down acapella versions of 90s pop songs, but it sounds like how Ed Hardy shirts look.

Never liked it either doesn't fit at all.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm gonna find the biggest mace or hammer i can find and use it until i find a bigger one

"So with Strength I can wear the big cool armor?"
"Yup"
"...and also with Strength I can wield the huge cool weapons?"
"Yup"
"...and because of all my Strength they do huge damage and stunlock guys?"
"Yup"
"Why are there other options?"

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Never liked it either doesn't fit at all.

I mean, it's a video game trailer from 2011, so presumably it was trying to sell the game to the worst person with an XBox 360 you can imagine.

Maybe they can use this for an Elden Ring ad?

https://youtu.be/0XnyS0C8g9c

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 5, 2022

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm not a huge fan of it either but how on earth is that "appropriating gospel"? :psyduck:

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Volte posted:

I'm not a huge fan of it either but how on earth is that "appropriating gospel"? :psyduck:

All those songs seem to have a chorus of white dudes going "Looooord looooord take me to the river" or whatever over a stomp clap stomp clapclap beat, but to be fair, I don't hear them much outside of commercials for cars and video games.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I hope Elden Ring 2 will be better than this one, woo boy

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
the imagine dragons elden ring trailer loving Slaps

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Groovelord Neato posted:

The Elden Ring theme is so goddamn good.

LOOK UP AT THE SKY

IT BURNS

I love how it subtly/not so subtly references the Demons' Souls main theme.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
people who complain about running back in souls games have weak erections

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
My fave run back is 4-2 in demons souls. Roly poly skeletons on a cliff. Death lasers. Exploding light balls. Hell yes sign me up

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Demons probably has the craziest runs outside of SOTFS iron keep. Double dragon action in 1-4, stunlock city and then rolling down into the darkness hoping for planks 2-2, getting completely lost in 3-1

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I have decided that I will do a magic build. Because it will have cool beams and missiles and poo poo.

Although that dude jumping around plinking with the bow ownes too...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The really big downside to Elden Ring being open world for me is what I'm presuming will be a lack of unlocking shortcuts (though I guess that could be in the dungeons). Unlocking a shortcut in Bloodborne or Demon's Souls felt as good as beating a boss.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

I have to imagine there will be shortcuts in the legacy dungeons, at least

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Cannot wait to explore the game with my friends. How many people can coop simultaneously?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Groovelord Neato posted:

The really big downside to Elden Ring being open world for me is what I'm presuming will be a lack of unlocking shortcuts (though I guess that could be in the dungeons). Unlocking a shortcut in Bloodborne or Demon's Souls felt as good as beating a boss.

It's possible the big legacy dungeons might have some, but shortcuts served to shorten the runback and checkpoint progress. With stakes providing immediate recovery and (in the test) the open world dungeons being relatively small, there's just no reason to have a shortcut. What you lose in exploring to find a shorter route you gain in exploring to find new content.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

dancer run was cool cause it's all a bunch of old enemies half of which you stomp effortlessly and half of which used to give you trouble but now are chumps

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Runbacks don't bother me too much if it gives me time to relax and think up how to approach a boss fight. Stressful ones where you can get slapped are kind of lovely. The absolute worst though are the boss fight cycles in the games where you can run out of healing because you're new to the game and suck so you have to break off to farm some more healing items up. And Elden Ring is just doing something akin to Estus again so at least it'll never get that bad.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I will say that doing the Bed of Chaos boss run is definitely one of the more memorable experiences in Dark Souls to me.

I will also say that for the most part boss runs are tedious and create more frustration than challenge so Im not too sad to see them go.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Gologle posted:

I hope Elden Ring 2 will be better than this one, woo boy

Elden Rings

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The run I did the most was the Martyr Logarius one and that's a funny one if you get the ladder climb timing off because you just darted off.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Groovelord Neato posted:

The run I did the most was the Martyr Logarius one and that's a funny one if you get the ladder climb timing off because you just darted off.

The Logarius run is burned into my brain like few others in the Soulsborne games. In part just because Logarius is crazy difficult on your first few times fighting him, and also because it's so very long and prone to mistakes. It's also the source of probably my favorite memory of Bloodborne though, so I can't hate it.

Once upon a time, my brother was laid out hard from wisdom teeth removal. We're talking nearly paralyzed from pain here, it was real rough on him.

I knew he really wanted a Logarius' Wheel and he had just started a new character with the intent of getting one to play through the game with. He hadn't really been able to find a weapon that had worked for him yet, and he was pretty hype about the idea of it. He'd never made it far in Cainhurst, but I'd at least been to the end of it once although getting stonewalled by the Big L.

Cue five days of me running that character through the minimum needed to reach Logarius, and staying as low level and un-upgraded on weapons as I could to leave room for whatever he'd want for the build. Countless runbacks later, I beat Logarius for my first time with a +3 saw spear and a roughly level 30 character. As it turns out, the wheel was exactly what he needed, and he beat the rest of the game so quickly after he was back on his feet.

Good times. :shobon:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
New boss leak (spoilers)

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Groovelord Neato posted:

there were small-scale shortcuts in some of the dungeons in the network test & it still seems likely we'll see those at larger scales in the larger dungeons and the legacy dungeons

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

New boss leak (spoilers)

join their covenant for a unique weapon buff

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
It's kind of weird that they still haven't released any system requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Raygereio posted:

It's kind of weird that they still haven't released any system requirements.

In true from form, they are spread throughout the world in a series of cryptic notes.
Seek 4gb of ram to escape stuttering