Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Glad to have found out what 2022s gang tag gonna be. Tarp!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I got a bunch of food that didn't require cooking or refrigeration in case I lost power. But I didn't lose power. So now I just have a lot of beef jerky and chips and salsa I'm going to have to eat instead of regular food this weekend.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I got a bunch of food that didn't require cooking or refrigeration in case I lost power. But I didn't lose power. So now I just have a lot of beef jerky and chips and salsa I'm going to have to eat instead of regular food this weekend.

bummer

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

George H.W. oval office posted:

Glad to have found out what 2022s gang tag gonna be. Tarp!

TRUIMO!!

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

tater_salad posted:

Call me insane if I'm out of line here but like I've been thinking of this problem all day. I sat wrapped up in a tarp not even eating.

What if instead of a tarp we put our vehicle in a purpose built structure with like a door big enough for one to drive in and out of? I know I know crazy.

Make it big enough and one could even like put other poo poo like bikes and lawnmowers in (but then it might become so full we need the tarp again so store tarps in the building for sure.

Edit: Also my old lady neighbor owes me some got drat cookies, I always do her sidewalk.

the russians used a tarp.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

best place for car is scrap yard

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Real hurthling! posted:

best place for car is scrap yard

Are you sure it isnt the multiple car garage in a sfh the other poster was brainstorming

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

theres a parking garage near my apartment asking for 800 a month lol

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

no no no

TRAMP!!

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I've lived in Minnesota for 36 years and have never struggled with my car tarp. If it's too heavy for you, that's your own fault for not eating enough polar bear liver and for skipping leg day like Gov Abbott.

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Wisest Moron posted:

I neglected to prop my wipers up once before a round of freezing rain in Kansas and wound up with a multi-inch thick block of ice gluing my wipers to the windshield. I haven't made the same mistake since.

Ah makes sense in that situation. I live far enough north that I've never seen a serious ice storm, nor do I ever want too hoo boy

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

oh my god this just popped up in my tl —— kismet!!!

https://twitter.com/DjHustlenomics/status/1489423492865007617

hmm I thought someone said this snow should weigh 1500 pounds

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

There’s a trace amount of snow there, it might’ve been faster to use a broom

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

hifi posted:

the russians used a tarp.
This didn't get enough love, and I appreciate you.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Supposing it was 6 inches of snow, it would be... challenging

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

cspammers, moving goalposts in obvious bad faith? well I never

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

perhaps there might even be some snows that are less dense than others

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

wh... what are you doing tarpbrother??

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
settled snow is 300 kg/m3 at most so 6in of snow over the roof of an suv is like 500 lbs. Certainly difficult if you were to try to lift it all up at once, but pulling it sideways isn't so hard depending on friction and what that guy is doing is even easier since you are only pulling up a little bit of it at a time

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the reason you use a tarp instead of like a sheet of plywood on your car is because you can incrementally peel it back. 1 gallon of water, which weighs about 8 lbs, covers a 1 inch long by 3 inch tall slice of the roof of a ford explorer (78 inches wide). snow is apparently 1/10th as dense as liquid water so that's over 30 inches of snow that i'd feel comfortable easily removing via the tarp method.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Covering the roof of my car with bags of holding

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Imagine three tarps balanced on the edge of the hood.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Space Robot posted:

Atleast 1/3 of Memphis and the surrounding area has been without power for 30 hours or so, with freezing temps and trees falling everywhere. the local power company said it might take days to fully recover.

People are comparing it to the ‘94 ice storm. I was only four when that happened, but I can still remember it a bit, and it was much worse. Our power was out for two weeks, hopefully it won’t take that long this time.

My power went out from 10-9 yesterday, then went back on, and then off again at 6 in the morning.

I was a teen during the 94 ice storm and my memories of it are
-chopping wood for heat
-trees almost falling down on me
-avoiding trees on ground and falling to “staying alive” on the radio en route to visiting a parent after surgery at Baptist

I guess I better call my parents down there and see if they’re ok.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

I’m trying to limit my use of plastics, so I’d try oiled canvas

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
See I put the tarp on the roof of my heated 3 car garage and it works just fine.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
A layer of snow protects your car against ice

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Get hydraulics installed in your car so it can shake the snow off itself like a dog.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

I've lived in Minnesota for 36 years and have never struggled with my car tarp. If it's too heavy for you, that's your own fault for not eating enough polar bear liver and for skipping leg day like Gov Abbott.

when I was partying you were studying the tarp, no ice!

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

A cloth convertable-top is basically a tarp, just open the top and all the snow falls off

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Otacon posted:

A cloth convertable-top is basically a tarp, just open the top and all the snow falls off

"Off" and "in" are different prepositions

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

get one of those pressure washers from the hardware store and blast the snow off with a focused beam of water

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

piss on your car

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

alarumklok posted:

piss on your car

Pee tarp is real.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Wow Texas got raped with snow

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
Let's not be weird about it

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
My amazon deliveries are late because they had to cross Texas to get here but i-10 got gangraped with snow yesterday

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Glenn thread geek got out

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

MLSM posted:

:dafuq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

MLSM posted: