Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

On Arrow
Boiling Point is excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Update: Reacher is exactly what it should be.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Nihonniboku posted:

Bradley Cooper at 47 years old is playing a 22 year old

He looks better than most 20 year olds, so

Also it's a good movie but its weird that it was kind of advertised as a supernatural horror film instead of a slow burn character drama

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Billions had an episode where Paul Giamatti has to overcome his prescriptivist pride and use the phrase "chomping at the bit" in a speech because no one will vote for an rear end in a top hat who is like "well, actually, it's champing at the bit". I will always love it for that.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
4 episodes into Reacher and I'm loving it. It's fun brain off stuff with a surprisingly charming meathead and an enjoyable mystery. I watched the first Tom Cruise movie and thought it was trash, this show is great.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Reacher is pure shlock and I love it. It’s like a Clive cussler level Mary Sue character

Good show to recommend for your boomer dad

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 5, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I liked the new Nightmare Alley. :shrug: found it entertaining enough. It may not be in say, the GDT top 3 but it's still visually compelling enough with a solid cast (and I never usually care for Cooper). Cate Blanchett and Willem Dafoe are fun and it's worth it just to see Del Toro take a shot at noir.

I'm on a Mike Flanigan streaming run rn. Watched his Ouija (on HBO) and Oculus, both decent and creepy films. Gonna hit up Hush on Netflix next.

yeah imo Nightmare Alley is god tier... probably my fave of his movies

i'm finally watcing Munich and uh... its rough.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Most Marvel / superhero movies aren't my fav genre but I end up eventually watching most of them in a I-exist-in-this-culture kind of way, and Peacekeeper is better than I thought. It honestly had me sold at the opening dance sequence.

I actually like James Gunn b/c of his movie from 2010 - Super, which took a lot of weird chances. For example depicting a women sexually assaulting a man, they were friends and the two leads, that was some poo poo I'd never seen.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I been huge on Gunn since I saw Tromeo and Juliet when I was a snotty punk and loved it. Slither and Super were the two things of his that definitely kept me most "aware" of him

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

precision posted:

i'm finally watcing Munich and uh... its rough.

What? Munich kicks rear end. Okay yes the sex scene at the end is very over the top but generally speaking I love it. That part where Eric bana goes nuts and slices up his hotel room looking for a bomb is great stuff

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah Munich is fantastic. The way it doles out the hostage drama in flashbacks throughout is insanely good. Watching these desk jockey types slowly descend into stone cold murderers is a brave take, especially given the Israelis are considered by your average person to be "the good guys".

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Munich is one of Spielberg's best. It's one of his few movies where everything is terrible and nothing turns out okay. Just an endless cycle of violence, guilt, paranoia, and pain.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Finally finished "Ash vs Evil Dead".

Ridiculous that we aren't getting season 4 since nobody watches Starz.

It was going to be Mad Max x Evil Dead.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Aglet56 posted:

What? Munich kicks rear end. Okay yes the sex scene at the end is very over the top but generally speaking I love it. That part where Eric bana goes nuts and slices up his hotel room looking for a bomb is great stuff

I assume they're talking about the TV series Munich: The Edge of War that came out last year

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm bored enough and Murderville is playful enough that I'm able to overlook my usual dislike for LA improv comedians and enjoy it.

I found the Sledge Hammer series run on DVD at my local library, gonna watch that starting this week as well.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

doctorfrog posted:

I found the Sledge Hammer series run on DVD at my local library, gonna watch that starting this week as well.
I've only watched a few episodes of Sledge Hammer and I haven't loved it. It's not offensively awful or anything but I guess in my head I'm comparing it to Police Squad!, which is a masterpiece which has basically never been equaled, and Angie Tribeca, which is a pretty decent follow-up. Meanwhile Sledge Hammer is just a little too slow and sparse with the jokes: it feels like there's a beat after every joke for people to laugh, which means there end up being half as many jokes in the first place. Maybe it gets better as time goes on.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Reacher is a lot of fun

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I've only watched a few episodes of Sledge Hammer and I haven't loved it. It's not offensively awful or anything but I guess in my head I'm comparing it to Police Squad!, which is a masterpiece which has basically never been equaled, and Angie Tribeca, which is a pretty decent follow-up. Meanwhile Sledge Hammer is just a little too slow and sparse with the jokes: it feels like there's a beat after every joke for people to laugh, which means there end up being half as many jokes in the first place. Maybe it gets better as time goes on.

Hm. Yeah, I'm not expecting Police Squad! level from it, more like "caught it on UHF after midnight once and am not sure it was real" level of comedy, but thanks for the heads up.

Police Squad! was so drat good. Wonder if the library has that one.

One more thing, me and my kid watched a handful of The Addams Family (original series) and we liked it, but the several episodes of The Munsters we later caught is flat out better in just about every way. Still, the Addams Family has its charm. Both are streaming in various places, sadly ad-laden.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Munich is one of Spielberg's best. It's one of his few movies where everything is terrible and nothing turns out okay. Just an endless cycle of violence, guilt, paranoia, and pain.

yeah that's what i meant by it being rough... you're watching and you're like "hey, these murderers are pretty nice guys, and they're only murdering bad guys, right? ...right?"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

doctorfrog posted:

I'm bored enough and Murderville is playful enough that I'm able to overlook my usual dislike for LA improv comedians and enjoy it.

FWIW Sledgehammer is on YouTube.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAPGcD5LGrp4g9pNQVn-UGl7IuZ9cgiD-

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I loved the Witness parody episode of Sledge Hammer

e: hah, looking over ep titles there were probably several movie parodies that sailed over my head as a kid

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Reacher really stuck The landing for the end of season one, and turned out to be a pretty big sleeper hit for me. I'm definitely going to recommend it a lot because I think it will appeal to a wide range of audiences. The lead actor gets more room to have some dramatic scenes near the end and he did way better than I expected.

Also I will keep my eye open for the actor who played the black lead detective. He was the highlight of the series for me.

4/5 will watch again

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

precision posted:

It's certainly the best of his English language movies, but I'd put Kronos and The Devil's Backbone above it myself.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Reacher is SO dumb and it's a lot of fun.

Minor spoiler for the first half of the season
the phone conversations with the woman who worked with Reacher's brother...holy moly. He's the director of operations but no one works for him? He shut down counterfeiting in America? She just accepts that she's actually talking to his brother. That was bad writing that was just bad, not fun bad like the rest of the show

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sledge Hammer rips

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Tinder Swindler is a good watch. Reddit will no doubt cybersleuth their way into whatever dumb chain of events that happens in the next few days.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Wasn't Tinder Swindler in that marvel movie with Benadryl Cabbagepatch?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

kazil posted:

Wasn't Tinder Swindler in that marvel movie with Benadryl Cabbagepatch?

That was doctor strangelove

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Inspector Hound posted:

That was doctor strangelove

it was quite clearly Dr. House actually

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Euphoria was just everything tonight lol

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah that sure was an episode. Still can't tell if I like this season or not.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Is it funny
I want to watch something funny

I liked search party but it was funny in a way that made me feel gross

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

Is it funny
I want to watch something funny

I liked search party but it was funny in a way that made me feel gross

Abbott Elementary is surprisingly funny and is on Hulu. Grand Crew was also surprisingly funny, it's on Peacock.

Surprising, because I don't think there has been anything good on network TV since The Good Place.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I love grand crew so far. It has Carl tart from comedy bang bang. It’s loving stupid lol I love it

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mcmagic posted:

Rue, drugs are not the answer

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Zendaya is getting an emmy

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mcmagic posted:

Zendaya is getting an emmy

A second?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

For wat

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

mcmagic posted:

Cassie's spot getting blown up offhandedly after weeks of tense sneaking around made me legitimately laugh out loud

I expect this drug dealer situation to be resolved very abruptly by some contrivance though, it doesn't really seem like a show where the plot will get in the way of the vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Ugh fine I’ll watch u 4 e ah