Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The short Twitch stream today to talk about Lost Ark launch next week, was very good. Lost of cool stuff coming to the game. Lost Ark Global is launching with Direct X 11 as well! It's a major improvement over DX10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I said come in! posted:

The short Twitch stream today to talk about Lost Ark launch next week, was very good. Lost of cool stuff coming to the game. Lost Ark Global is launching with Direct X 11 as well! It's a major improvement over DX10.

do you have a link to the VOD?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Carteret posted:

do you have a link to the VOD?

https://twitch.tv/videos/1285716923

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Harrow posted:

To make sure I'm understanding: there are daily and weekly tasks that are character-level instead of account-level, but the rewards from those can be shared to other characters on your account. So if you run multiple alts that lets you get daily and weekly rewards more often than if you're running just one character, right?

And it's not like "you need to keep all of these characters completely current and play them all equally," just "you can get more goodies by having some side characters you do dailies/weeklies on before spending most of your time on your main."

Yes. Traditionally in KR/RU the playerbase refers to characters actually played as mains. Main 1, Main 2, etc. Alts are basically characters parked at certain ilevels to obtain rewards to funnel to said mains.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

It really isn't that complicated.

I said come in! posted:

drat, this is legit really good news, the performance benchmarks for DX11 showed huge improvements on identical hardware across the board.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PrinnySquad posted:

drat, this is legit really good news, the performance benchmarks for DX11 showed huge improvements on identical hardware across the board.

Yeah these are pretty some insane numbers

https://www.reddit.com/r/lostarkgame/comments/rxvdv2/lost_ark_dx9dx11_fps_benchmark/

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Harrow posted:

To make sure I'm understanding: there are daily and weekly tasks that are character-level instead of account-level, but the rewards from those can be shared to other characters on your account. So if you run multiple alts that lets you get daily and weekly rewards more often than if you're running just one character, right?

And it's not like "you need to keep all of these characters completely current and play them all equally," just "you can get more goodies by having some side characters you do dailies/weeklies on before spending most of your time on your main."

I've never played a game that worked like this but it sounds pretty nice imo

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Yep, and you don't even need play those alts every day. There are systems that let you "bank" rewards so that if you skip a few days, you'll get bonus amounts of rewards to make up for the days you didn't play.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AFAIK you also get skip tickets which will auto complete them.

Maid
Mar 3, 2006

Do you know the Wu-Tang secret of mopping?
I dunno if this needs to be said here, but Starfleet dental has changed tack slightly and we'll be rolling on Mari instead of Enviska. Big ups to those of y'all who have shown up already, we're glad to have you!

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I did not think too much of this when I tried the beta but have been coming round to it lately what with the Gunlancer class (which I didn't know existed when I tried the beta) looking pretty awesome. I'm assuming it's not total rear end? I gather it's more a supporting role, what does that mean in the context of this game? Will I need to know group content fights inside out to make it work? I understand this game doesn't have "tanking" like regular mmos, at least.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Maid posted:

I dunno if this needs to be said here, but Starfleet dental has changed tack slightly and we'll be rolling on Mari instead of Enviska. Big ups to those of y'all who have shown up already, we're glad to have you!

This is the one that looks like it'll be higher pop than the low pop servers but not totally flooded?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

My Crab is Fight posted:

I did not think too much of this when I tried the beta but have been coming round to it lately what with the Gunlancer class (which I didn't know existed when I tried the beta) looking pretty awesome. I'm assuming it's not total rear end? I gather it's more a supporting role, what does that mean in the context of this game? Will I need to know group content fights inside out to make it work? I understand this game doesn't have "tanking" like regular mmos, at least.

I have seen the Gunlancer consistently described as one of the best (i.e. people love to have you in their group) classes in the game. So you can roll with confidence if it seems cool.

Gunlancer is actually a full blown DPS class that keeps pace with all the others, but its class identity power lets it give itself a big fat damage shield, so it just gets stuck in and doesn't give a poo poo about boss mechanics while wailing on it, or it can give the whole party a damage shield to save them from big attacks. It also has a sort-of "taunt" ability but AFAIK it's very brief and mostly used to momentarily interrupt boss attack patterns.

So it has "supporty" utility abilities but these are just gravy on top of your main job which is to help smash things.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 4, 2022

Maid
Mar 3, 2006

The Shortest Path posted:

This is the one that looks like it'll be higher pop than the low pop servers but not totally flooded?

Yeah, which was the rationale. We're counting on a decent amount of washout and it sounds like you want some level of server population for certain things.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
How duo/party friendly is the leveling compared to, say, World of Warcraft? Is it possible to group up from the start and play together, or are there "individual" quests/cinematics/rabbit holes breaking the flow a bit?

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Lamquin posted:

How duo/party friendly is the leveling compared to, say, World of Warcraft? Is it possible to group up from the start and play together, or are there "individual" quests/cinematics/rabbit holes breaking the flow a bit?

Tbh, it’s not particularly group friendly. You can do the dungeons together (On hard mode even) but there are a lot of times where you’re separated.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Lamquin posted:

I played with someone the majority of beta, questing together and such. It wasn't too bad. There are some solo scenario type things that breaks it up a bit, but we didn't find it annoying or anything like that. The only issue we had sometimes was with phasing, but zoning in and out seemed to fix it easily. It is definitely a little different than WoW questing with someone, but I still found it fun and plan to be grouped for the majority of leveling at release.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
im probably playing warlord

possibly 3-5 warlords

just waddling around, lots of shields, lots of damage

dunno why they changed the name from warlord, a good name, to gunlancer, a terrible name. I refuse to acknowledge the change.

Then when lancer comes out I'll play that.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Looks like Amazon is sticking with the name restrictions

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Maid posted:

Yeah, which was the rationale. We're counting on a decent amount of washout and it sounds like you want some level of server population for certain things.

Y'all taking on new people? I am late to the party but just bought a plat pack and was planning on rolling on West.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

What server are people going to playing this on west coast?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Hello friends help me talk myself into/out of this.

1) How GaaSy is this? Daily quests? Login bonuses? Limited inventory space and a billion currencies?
1a) How much are you going to kick yourself if you miss out on daily quests a few times/week?
2) Does each class really only have five abilities or is the list in the OP just a preview sampler?
3) What is the endgame content and how long does it take to get there?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Irony.or.Death posted:

Hello friends help me talk myself into/out of this.

1) How GaaSy is this? Daily quests? Login bonuses? Limited inventory space and a billion currencies?
1a) How much are you going to kick yourself if you miss out on daily quests a few times/week?
2) Does each class really only have five abilities or is the list in the OP just a preview sampler?
3) What is the endgame content and how long does it take to get there?

It's almost all been discussed in detail earlier in this thread a bit but in general (I'm ultra casual and my memory is poo poo so anyone feel free to correct me):
1) Yes to dailies, weeklies, and login bonuses. Currencies start with silver, gold and royal crystals, there are probably more. Word is you can play it completely free, take your time and enjoy it. It's when you want cosmetics or to speed things up that is when you run into the services.
1a)If you miss a daily, you get double(?) rewards next time you do it, so for efficiency people have figured out to do dailies on three different characters every 3 days or something to that effect. You take less time, have flexibility in schedule, and get more than you would if you just ran them daily on one character. I'm pretty sure there's also an account-wide cap so you can't just use 16 chars and play all day to get stuff, but I may be wrong.
2) Each class has plenty of abilities but you can only use so many at a time and build a loadout depending on what you want to bring and what specialties/tripods/bonuses you have equipped.
3) There are three tiers of endgame featuring 4 man dungeons and later 8 man raids, most poopsockers are planning on hitting the first tier on day 1 before reset so they can hit up the dungeons. From what I gather tier 3 can take a while to work through and most of it won't be releasing here yet.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 4, 2022

Wyrmthang
Nov 30, 2014

As dry as it gets!

Pragmatica posted:

I played with someone the majority of beta, questing together and such. It wasn't too bad. There are some solo scenario type things that breaks it up a bit, but we didn't find it annoying or anything like that. The only issue we had sometimes was with phasing, but zoning in and out seemed to fix it easily. It is definitely a little different than WoW questing with someone, but I still found it fun and plan to be grouped for the majority of leveling at release.

Just to follow up on this, I also played the entire Beta with a buddy of mine and except for a few story missions everything was Duo/single group-able (90-95% of the time playing). From what I've read too, only some of the weekly content (Abyssal Raids & Legion Raids/8 person and Abyssal Dungeons/4 person) require more than a single person. All the daily content can be done in up to a full group, it just scales up to accommodate the additional people. As for the phasing issue, there are "channels" that you zone into when you go to a new area like Rolling Hills - 1 or Rollings Hills - 2, which you can jump between using an icon on the map screen. So if your group zones into a new area and are not together, some of you clicks twice and hops over to the channel your friends are in.

Maid
Mar 3, 2006

kung fu jive posted:

Y'all taking on new people? I am late to the party but just bought a plat pack and was planning on rolling on West.

Yeah, absolutely. There's a discord link a page or two back if you wanna join that and get to know some people before headstart happens.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Maid posted:

Yeah, absolutely. There's a discord link a page or two back if you wanna join that and get to know some people before headstart happens.

Awesome, just joined the discord and said hi. Looking forward to getting to know folks!

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

bagrada posted:

It's almost all been discussed in detail earlier in this thread a bit but in general (I'm ultra casual and my memory is poo poo so anyone feel free to correct me):
1) Yes to dailies, weeklies, and login bonuses. Currencies start with silver, gold and royal crystals, there are probably more. Word is you can play it completely free, take your time and enjoy it. It's when you want cosmetics or to speed things up that is when you run into the services.
1a)If you miss a daily, you get double(?) rewards next time you do it, so for efficiency people have figured out to do dailies on three different characters every 3 days or something to that effect. You take less time, have flexibility in schedule, and get more than you would if you just ran them daily on one character. I'm pretty sure there's also an account-wide cap so you can't just use 16 chars and play all day to get stuff, but I may be wrong.
2) Each class has plenty of abilities but you can only use so many at a time and build a loadout depending on what you want to bring and what specialties/tripods/bonuses you have equipped.
3) There are three tiers of endgame featuring 4 man dungeons and later 8 man raids, most poopsockers are planning on hitting the first tier on day 1 before reset so they can hit up the dungeons. From what I gather tier 3 can take a while to work through and most of it won't be releasing here yet.

perfect, thank you for the info

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So like if I choose a class I end up hating in this f2p game am I like stuck or ...

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Junkie Disease posted:

So like if I choose a class I end up hating in this f2p game am I like stuck or ...

Not initially. You will know when you've started to invest too much into a character.

There are a load of systems introduced in t3 that you need to heavily work with to improve the power of characters. I don't mean just ilevel. Tripod skills, gems, engravings, etc. You can't just stumble into optimizing these for a character. If you don't like the character I would guess you'd very likely know well before you invest all of those into a character.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Junkie Disease posted:

You can try out all of the classes pretty much right away in a little test area. Once you get to one character to 30, that only takes a few hours, you unlock an advanced version of that test area to try all of the other classes with all of their skills.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Worst case you just convert that character to an alt to do stronghold missions or the odd daily to get mats for something you do like.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

If I have a group of pals who all want to play melee DPS types (Berserker, Shadowhunter, Scrapper) and I want to keep their asses alive and give them the good buffs, is Paladin or Bard a better choice? Or if it's pretty balanced, what are the major differences? I've tried to look this up but everything I've found is pretty vague.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFvOEInEE-M

This video is all about comparing and contrasting bard and paladin.

Teal deer: Whichever you want.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That video sold me pretty effectively on Paladin. Front-line support is my poo poo.

That said Gunlancer is also looking mighty tempting and that might be what I level second.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
I'm in for Berserker/Bard mains. At least until I fall way behind and stop playing because I work too much(also kids, time sucking monsters).

I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but they are doing Twitch drops starting on the 8th with what seems like some good amounts of stuff, maybe (I dunno I know nothing about this game).

https://www.playlostark.com/en-us/news/articles/legends-of-lost-ark

Tier 1: Battle Item Chest

Contains a Battle Item Chest 3 Pack, Regulus' Light Currency Chest (100K Silver), and an Amethyst Shard Pack (1,500 Shards).

Tier 2: Arkesia Paper Hat Chest

This chest will unlock your choice (1) of the 5 unique paper hats.

Tier 3: Helgaia Pet Chest

This chest will unlock your choice (1) of the 4 unique Helgaia pets.

Tier 4: Neugier Gold Mount

This mount will allow you to speedily move throughout Arkesia.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Junkie Disease posted:

As people have said, you can't go wrong having some extra alts, there are a lot of test areas to try out a class beforehand, etc, and to add onto all that, there is something called 'knowledge transfer' where, for a small amount of in-game gold, you can boost a new character to max level if you have a max level character already (so if you hate your first character, just boost up an alt that you do like to max)

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I'm just confused from the limited smattering of f2p games having catches like limited character slots or gimped progression I don't know how much of a issue I'll have at the 15 dollar level or if I even need it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Junkie Disease posted:

I'm just confused from the limited smattering of f2p games having catches like limited character slots or gimped progression I don't know how much of a issue I'll have at the 15 dollar level or if I even need it

From what I've read you have 6 character slots for free, and it's generally a good idea to have a few alts to get more daily rewards, so if you end up not loving your first character, no big deal, they can just be an alt. There's a point at which you start investing heavily in a character at endgame but I'd imagine you'll know if you like a class well before you reach that point with it.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

I’ve been suggesting it in discord but if anyone wants to play around with the character creator and class testing chamber it’s insanely easy

https://lostarkive.com/guides/beginner/how-to-play-lost-ark-in-russia-before-release/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I had better directions in my previous thread, but it's very easy to play on the Russian servers yeah! The game is more up to date with Korea too.