Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Professor Wayne posted:

MOD EDIT: The Far Side removed

Pickles

Zits

Please remember not to post The Far Side comic strips. Jeffrey doesn't have time to deal with a lawsuit over cow tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure Jeff said just not to host them on SA

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Slammy posted:

So It Seems April 17, 1952

SUK O

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Bloop posted:

I'm pretty sure Jeff said just not to host them on SA

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Please link to far side comics instead of embedding them.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (May 18-19, 1934)

Peanuts (January 6-7, 1975)

Harry Dinklebean

Les Moore Brings His Poison To The Other Strip

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 5-6, 1938)

Out Our Way (March 10-12, 1938)

Toonerville Folks (September 12-14, 1918)

Dok's Dippy Figurehead (December 20, 1913)

Little Lefty (January 16-19, 1936)

Sorry if I accidentally spelled too much of the following correctly.

A kid who just had her home address published in the paper posted:

Dear EDitor:

I would like to know if I could get a penpal from the SOVIET UNION. I am a girl of 12 years old. I would like a girl or boy about my age. Please send me an address and ages. I also think I will like the sunday paper. I don't like the sunday paper that Hearst prints because every think in the funny papers can not be true. I like Flash Gordon and many others. I like Lefty because

It Can't Happen Here (the comic strip) (January 19, 1936 (again with the retyped libretto, just to be safe))

It's here you start to suspect that Hilton boiled Lewis's plot down a little too much. The small town editor knows that the candidate will throttle all civil rights because...he read the novel?

Blondie (From Zero) (August 17-19, 1931)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh lmao so Sivana is going to get kit killed because she has no chill.

Its fine Heloise can be phantom.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Oh lmao so Sivana is going to get kit killed because she has no chill.

Its fine Heloise can be phantom.

You know, it's kind of interesting. 24 generations of Phantoms, and every last one of them has managed to have a solitary male heir. That's some long odds.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Giant Ethicist posted:

Night Visitors

Another culturally-embedded one. It refers to a famous (and famously weird) old folk tale, the Story of the Crab and the Monkey:

:shrug:

The end! No moral.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

CzarChasm posted:

You know, it's kind of interesting. 24 generations of Phantoms, and every last one of them has managed to have a solitary male heir. That's some long odds.
I assumed there were other generations with multiple kids, but now that you mention it...

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CzarChasm posted:

It's just the oldest male child who gets to be the next Phantom. Like kings.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Boo!

In today's Blueberry: Blueberry gets into hot water, or OW, or I think Diaz is going to learn the hard way that Blueberry is not very easily hood-winked...

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

:psyduck:

lol what does that even mean? The joke relies on the double meaning of "having pull" but how can your pin have pull? Like this guy goes to a restaurant and whispers to the maitre d' "my pin is 0451" and he goes "oh, monsieur!! Our finest table, immediately!"

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

every computoon reads like it was written as the author was going through his death throes

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

kidcoelacanth posted:

every computoon reads like it was written as the author was going through his death throes

Someone must find them amusing, They just totally confuse me.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: college and career choices (September 19-25, 2005)

Modern Kevin & Kell

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Jesus loving CHRIST, Lynn.

(someone make the obvious edit)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Strontium posted:

Dark Side of the Horse

Just don't blow your mind out in a car!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "15 - Jucika in the Enchanted Castle" (or "Fun House")

"16 - Jucika on Margaret Island"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I’m gonna be polite and let the goon who normally posts it get there, but goddamn today's Mary Worth might well be the worst of this storyline, even worse than the strip that revealed Wilbur didn’t die

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Reruns 2/4/02

-
My dim memory of the early 2000s is that Darby and Bill (Fox Trot) Amend were the first cartoonists to regularly start doing reruns for a week or two so they could have time off. Garry Trudeau did take two years off Doonesbury in the early 80s, but there weren't many other cartoonists who could take that kind of time and still expect to have their space in the newspaper waiting for them when they came back.

Stephen Collins is still on the Boris party story.

Brenda Starr 2/9-11/48

Smokey Stover 1/6/46

Everyday Movies 10/25/34

"It isn't stealing, is it Duke? It was in the middle of the road wasn't it?"

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Selachian posted:

Stephen Collins is still on the Boris party story.

I don't blame him for being exasperated. It's an astounding example of the collusion between British journalism and the ruling powers and the majority of journalists are just simply... Refusing to address it beyond simple 'well I never's.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Why must all of Holbrook's trademark Cool Cool Glasses Failsons end up becoming coaches after a life of being a god or some kind of major social figure?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Because it keeps them in the world of teenage/young adult drama.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

goatface posted:

Because it keeps them in the world of teenage/young adult drama.

That would make sense, but have we actually ever seen the players the blonde glasses guy coaches in a non-transitory way? There have been strips where the established characters talk about his coaching, but I don't think any of the players have gotten names or anything like that.

Vintage Valiant (Aug. 21, 1949)

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Selachian posted:

My dim memory of the early 2000s is that Darby and Bill (Fox Trot) Amend were the first cartoonists to regularly start doing reruns for a week or two so they could have time off. Garry Trudeau did take two years off Doonesbury in the early 80s, but there weren't many other cartoonists who could take that kind of time and still expect to have their space in the newspaper waiting for them when they came back.

"Far Side" and "Calvin and Hobbes" also took months-long hiatuses ("Far Side" had a 18-month break, while "Calvin and Hobbes" had two 9-month sabbaticals), and IIRC both strips also took week-off now and then. There were other cartoonists, too, before Amend and Conley.

I notice this is more common with strips syndicated by Universal Press/Andrews McMeel, although King Features strips does it, too (it gets annoying with King strips because they sometimes, but not always, change the copyright date to current year).

Case in point: "Mutts", a King strip, went on a 6 month break so Patrick McDonnell could focus on his new book and they changed the copyright year in reruns. The strip returned in January. That's why the first week of January had Mooch telling Earl about his "vacation", it was in reference to the months-long hiatus.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 5, 2022

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: New Year's Adventure (53/1936)

"Happy New Year!" :)

Yes, week 53 - it says so in my collection without further explanation. Maybe there was a special issue for the new year in '36.

And this takes us into the third and final year of Vater und Sohn. Don't worry, between regular episodes and supplemental material, there's probably more than a year's worth of stories left.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

I feel like the thread(s) like how inscrutable Boyce is and celebrate when a punchline actually lands.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (double Don edition)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

"Old enough to know better"? Isn't she still a toddler?

F Minus

Mark Trail

Calaveron posted:

I’m gonna be polite and let the goon who normally posts it get there, but goddamn today's Mary Worth might well be the worst of this storyline, even worse than the strip that revealed Wilbur didn’t die
I thought we were past the need for me to post them early, but I guess not yet.

Mary Worth

The psychological abuse has paid off. Estelle is completely beholden to Mary's will.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

The Morgans...LOSE money?

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

What's amazing about Mary Worth is that it's not necessarily even Wilbur being abusive; it's Mary shrugging off the fact that Wilbur is such an irresponsible manchild.

It's come to this: an almost 38 year old adult man angry at a soap opera strip.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
She can't keep getting away with this

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Mary Worth continues to own the haters.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

So... they're just going to ignore forever that Mark is currently out on bail? That he has criminal charges pending against him, and a court date coming up, and possibly even restrictions on his movements or activities, and that he needs to get a drat lawyer ASAP? That dealing with court poo poo is now going to become a major focus of Mark's life, and this kind of court poo poo can potentially drag out for years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

The Morgans...LOSE money?

Didn't these fuckers make several million dollars doing nothing in like the last 3 story lines?