Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can you even charge an electric car from zero to 100% overnight through a normal 110 outlet? I thought that was the limiting factor in your daily range if you don’t have place where you can hire an electrician to install a special power connection to your parking space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if i had an electric car i would make a two way plug and steal the power out of other electric cars

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

withak posted:

Can you even charge an electric car from zero to 100% overnight through a normal 110 outlet? I thought that was the limiting factor in your daily range if you don’t have place where you can hire an electrician to install a special power connection to your parking space.

I can't find the exact video right now but rich rebuilds on YouTube (he repairs and hacks about with Teslas) tried charging his model S on 110v in a cold place. Because the car heats or cools the battery during charging, the heater meant he actually lost range charging it overnight.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

chevy will pay for a level 2 charger install if you buy an ev from them which is it pretty cool. would be cooler if cars were illegal however.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
theres a derelict velomobile that sits out in front of a house here in Burlington I kinda want to knock on their door and see if I can rescue it

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

A couple of months ago in the US, a guy driving a truck lost control while he was trying to frighten some cyclists and ended up smooshing a bunch of them. I think it was in Texas, does anyone remember this? I am wondering if anything happened to the driver.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

bedpan posted:

A couple of months ago in the US, a guy driving a truck lost control while he was trying to frighten some cyclists and ended up smooshing a bunch of them. I think it was in Texas, does anyone remember this? I am wondering if anything happened to the driver.

He was a teenager, and I don't think so.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

withak posted:

I'd imagine anyone rich enough to buy an ev that's not a leaf would have off street parking or a garage where they could install a 240v high current charger

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

bedpan posted:

This happens with enough frequency in the US that it's hard to point to which one you might be thinking of. There was one where the driver was belatedly arrested and charged after sufficient outcry, don't know if the outcome. Then a second with effectively the same scenario occurred a few weeks later.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I'm still lolling that if you actually had to pay RUCs appropriate to its weight on an ev in NZ , and couldn't slow charge the ev at home, the yearly cost to run would be higher than than an efficient non hybrid car

Lmao. I thought the Schmee videos on youtube were pretty interesting with regards to owning an EV without home-charge capability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH5y4GcGedo

IMO it's the perfect example of why you need off-street home charging for EV's to become even remotely viable as every-day vehicles. The dude is like the perfect EV owner:

- Mega rich British toff
- UK has much better public EV charging infrastructure vs. many other countries
- UK also has much shorter distances to drive between places vs. many other countries
- Very expensive, brand-new high performance EV

And yet he still has huge issues with:

- Finding working charging stations
- Charging at public fast chargers without wasting hours and half his range just getting to and from the charge point
- Fast charging prices being comparable or higher than petrol for the same range

Give a similar car to a regular person working one or two full-time jobs, living in high-density housing with only street parking or sharing a suburban house with multiple other people and they'd have to sell it to buy a petrol car within a week.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

bedpan posted:

it was in a lovely exurb of houston where this happened,teenage son of local rich guy was rolling coal on some cyclists and ran them over. after a big public outcry he was charged with several felonies.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I saw a recumbent for sale for sub $300 the other day on the market place

So annoyed I'm not in a position to spent 300 dollars on a weird bicycle

I wanna be the weird bike guy

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Cugel the Clever posted:

This happens with enough frequency in the US that it's hard to point to which one you might be thinking of. There was one where the driver was belatedly arrested and charged after sufficient outcry, don't know if the outcome. Then a second with effectively the same scenario occurred a few weeks later.

Not exactly the same, but happened around the same time:

https://komonews.com/amp/news/local/teen-charged-in-hit-and-run-death-of-jogger-now-suspected-in-second-pedestrian-crash

But we should definitely let teenagers drive semi trucks.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Jestery posted:

We've got a recumbent guy with these big neon flags on the back who always wears a tricorner hat. Love seeing him around

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/GumbyScreens/status/1489604770633601026

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Jestery posted:

these things seem like a good way to get squished by a truck.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

it was in a lovely exurb of houston where this happened,teenage son of local rich guy was rolling coal on some cyclists and ran them over. after a big public outcry he was charged with several felonies.

I went looking for an update and all I could find is that back in November, the DA claimed he was going to have this put before a grand jury but as far as I can see, that hasn't happened yet. Six counts of "aggravated assault with a deadly weapon."

While I didn't find much in the way of news, what I did find was a lot of articles and comments which makes the open-carry practice of one cyclist I used to know of a lot more sensible.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

this reads different now :)

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Along similar lines, the 12-unit building I live in has 15 parking spaces for cars and nothing, not even a post, for bikes. A few of us ride bikes daily and would like to turn one parking space into a bike locker, but two insane car-brained old people who live in the building would rather burn this place to the ground than allow that. I'm legitimately considering buying a broke-down van from craigslist or some poo poo and parking it in one of the spots solely to use as bike storage, because keeping one or two bikes inside a useless car is allowed while spending a pittance of money to turn one spot into storage for a dozen bikes won't happen until they die or move out.

You know what must be done. The Order Bicyclatus demands it.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Jestery posted:

Karach posted:

To be honest I don't see a ton of reason to get a 'normal' recumbent trike without the velomobile shell unless you have some kind of back or balance issue that precludes you from riding something with two weeks. Fully-faired velomobiles like mine (or the proper commercial ones) have most of the same down-sides as normal trikes, but some pretty significant upsides on account of the body shell including speed, weather protection, luggage space and IMO they're much more visible to other traffic due to their larger visual cross-section and higher speed (and you do get some impact protection from the shells of the commercial ones).

Negatives of recumbent trikes to consider before buying one:

- They are low and feel way more dangerous in heavy traffic, especially when riding past stopped cars in traffic jams
- They're too wide to fit through some gaps, I've found some particularly bad pieces of road/footpath/cycleway design that you'd never know riding a regular bike
- They're too heavy and awkward to lift over obstacles, so if you get stuck by a pole or something you're pretty screwed
- They're heavier than a regular bike and have greater rolling resistance so they're always going to suck more than a normal bike when going up hills

Fully-faired velomobiles have those same issues but IMO the advantages are worth it, especially if you live somewhere relatively flat or if your area has e-bike regulations without a speed limit (like NZ). I actually feel very safe in traffic in mine because I have a motor (legal power limit) which helps me keep up with traffic flow and it's such an unusual thing that everyone really sees me and pays attention (I get a lot of people filming me). I also have LED strips down the sides and back for riding at night which again, makes it WAY more visible to cars than a normal bike. It's also easier to carry a lot of weight due to the stability you get from three wheels, which makes it great for commuting. Gets really hot and sweaty in there in summer though, particularly when stopped or climbing steep hills.

Unfortunately given normal levels of human power it's impossible to make an unpowered velomobile easy enough to ride that a normal person could go at a reasonable speed and not end up in a puddle of sweat, especially in a hilly area, which makes it a non-starter for the vast majority of people. Also most countries around the world have e-bike regulations that make fitting a motor hardly worth it, 250W or so is fine in terms of power but a 25 kph speed limit before the motor cuts makes the whole thing pointless because with the aerodynamic fairing you'll quickly go much faster than that even with very little human power. There is an e-bike class in the EU that is allowed to go up to 45 kph and have a 500W motor which is significantly more worth-while, but I think there are some strict regulations covering those (have to be type-certified as mopeds) and the market for these things is so small that it's really not profitable to do.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I live in an apartment in vermont's BIGGEST CITY!! and can avoid other people's air just fine. You are screwing yourself if you think you have to move to the suburbs

I wanted to move there, but I couldn't find any good housing stock near the downtown "core" around cityhall. Had to go much further up-north which felt too much like suburbia, though that cool biketrail/highway thing in the forest along lake Champlain is fuckign awesome.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dolphin posted:

it wouldn't be very difficult to bring back street cars, the tracks are still there in like, 90% of us cities

why anyone consented to get rid of them is hard for my brain to fathom

Lobbying efforts by the auto-manufacturers to privatize public transit and eventually kill it to force more people to buy cars. It worked fabulously.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

If riding a bike over soft terrain, like dust or sand, should you upshift or downshift, speed up or slow down?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

cool av posted:

my buddy was just complaining about needing to shovel out his car and the conclusion was that the next house he buys needs to have a garage

This is true though. If you don't have a garage, you shouldn't have a car. (90% of people shouldn't have a car.)

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

This is true though. If you don't have a garage, you shouldn't have a car. (90% of people shouldn't have a car.)

My garage has 7 bicycles in it, and the car sits outside.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Karach posted:

So is existing in an American city

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You know it's kind of funny, I've lived on both East and West Coasts. On the West Coast the speed limits on the freeways are generally 65mph and the drivers regularly do 80. On the East Coast the speed limits on the freeways are generally 55mph and the drivers regularly do 90.

I don't have any kind of lesson to take away from that but it's one of the things I noticed when I was still forced to drive places.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

is there some way to dissuade carhavers from having extended conversations about car law and etiquette everywhere? or maintenance or whatever. cars inject themselves everywhere. not in this thread, like, in other places.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://twitter.com/SpaceLiminalBot/status/1489499197359460353

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

mawarannahr posted:

is there some way to dissuade carhavers from having extended conversations about car law and etiquette everywhere? or maintenance or whatever. cars inject themselves everywhere. not in this thread, like, in other places.

Shove a potato in their exhaust hole

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You know it's kind of funny, I've lived on both East and West Coasts. On the West Coast the speed limits on the freeways are generally 65mph and the drivers regularly do 80. On the East Coast the speed limits on the freeways are generally 55mph and the drivers regularly do 90.

I don't have any kind of lesson to take away from that but it's one of the things I noticed when I was still forced to drive places.

east coasters are all psychopaths, whereas west coasters are just sociopaths

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

PeterCat posted:

If riding a bike over soft terrain, like dust or sand, should you upshift or downshift, speed up or slow down?

i dont ride throguh big piles of dust but sand you just want to gear down & keep medium speed. Not so slow that you lose traction in the back but not so fast you lose control and try and stay as upright as possible. Dont jerk your hadle bars around. if your in only sand or loose dirt lower the pressure on your tires for more traction.

3 more months until im hopefully free from snow :(

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

always makes me laugh that we don't count garages in a homes square footage, almost like it's useless. anyway my garage has weight lifting equipment in it, much better than using it for car storage.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
My bike has some kind of broken axle or maybe a broken bearing. So I'm stuck to walking and public transport.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

lobster shirt posted:

Then a few weeks later some halfwits threw open the doors of a whataburger and blasted smoke inside

I loving hate texas more than anything.

distortion park posted:

Saw this rather confused Audi (?) taking a stroll through the park. I've seen cars in bike lanes before but never footpaths in parks

nature is ~healing~

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bedshaped posted:

My bike has some kind of broken axle or maybe a broken bearing. So I'm stuck to walking and public transport.
do a wheelie

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Hey, you can't fault the driver, the passenger probably told them hitting both the child and the crossing guard was a point multiplier.
https://twitter.com/AnthonyTilghman/status/1489814943859986438?t=KMu-vIVCrEuklHZBdWUMYg&s=19

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Suplex Liberace posted:

i dont ride throguh big piles of dust but sand you just want to gear down & keep medium speed. Not so slow that you lose traction in the back but not so fast you lose control and try and stay as upright as possible. Dont jerk your hadle bars around. if your in only sand or loose dirt lower the pressure on your tires for more traction.

3 more months until im hopefully free from snow :(

helps if you lean back a little bit to put more weight over the rear tire

larper
Apr 9, 2019
Went on a short ride down the bike path near my house at the beginning of a snowstorm last night to pick up some take out in town. I am usually too much of a wuss to ride at night around here because the area is so car dependent, but i got about $500 of lighting and winter gear last season and I've been feeling more confident riding at night. I have gotten more afraid of riding the past few years and less hype to hop on the bike and ride, either because I am less fearless than when I was 25 and riding all the time or because I'm acutely more aware of the horrible statistics about pedestrian deaths post-lockdown. I get the occasional dick bag honking/yelling gibberish but I am coming to take that as a sign of good luck, it means all the lighting is working. Anyway studded tires and 2000 lumen headlights are bad as*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cup Runneth Over posted:

In Texas the speed limits are 75 and the drivers do 75 also there is an 85mph highway where traffic travels at 85. It's great.