Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

larper
Apr 9, 2019
In new mexico the speed limits are high already and people drive like they just took a giant hit of meth. I never once did a ride on main roads out there, just too scary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
i need to get my license cus i wont be seen as a real adult until i have it + some car
it's rear end and i wish i could move to the city but rent's too expensive

garbage country :canada:

last time i tried was during a snowstorm and i got failed for driving under speed limit lol lmao i was keeping up with traffic too

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

In Texas the speed limits are 75 and the drivers do 75 also there is an 85mph highway where traffic travels at 85. It's great.

Speeds should be limited in the name of fuel efficiency. Wind resistance increases exponentially with speed

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Hey, you can't fault the driver, the passenger probably told them hitting both the child and the crossing guard was a point multiplier.
https://twitter.com/AnthonyTilghman/status/1489814943859986438?t=KMu-vIVCrEuklHZBdWUMYg&s=19

take away the driver's car and license, blacklist her from purchasing or acquiring either one in the future, and force her to work as a crossing guard for the rest of her days

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Italian motorways are capped at 130kph and this is enforced by a network of average speed monitoring cameras that covers the entirety of the motorway system. that helped decrease mortality on our roads something crazy like 30% otoh
i have basically learned that i can cruise at around 110/120kph with almost no interruption or risk, and just enjoy a comfortable, uneventful drive in normal conditions and get p nice gas mileage

boomers, and basically anyone who hasn't deprogrammed themselves from even mild carbrain loving hate the motorway speed limit and constantly try to edge their way into doing more than 130 average kph, tailgate on the passing lane, lose their minds behind other people doing the speed limit and generally are nuisances all around
like, are actively trying to make their own lives, and everyone's around them, worse, for negligible gains in time and worse mileage?
it is tangible proof of how damaging carbrain is and i'm horrified that my life is partly in people like that's hands every time i have to get into a car and drive a significant stretch.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Berkeley installed protected bike lanes. Then removed all the protection. You'll never guess what happened next!
https://twitter.com/WalkBikeBerk/status/1489774117909790721?s=20&t=KSjDmnBet7YJtYo1aDgC5A
Cities should be held liable where they fail to do the bare minimum to prevent pedestrian and cyclist deaths.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Cugel the Clever posted:

Berkeley installed protected bike lanes. Then removed all the protection. You'll never guess what happened next!
https://twitter.com/WalkBikeBerk/status/1489774117909790721?s=20&t=KSjDmnBet7YJtYo1aDgC5A
Cities should be held liable where they fail to do the bare minimum to prevent pedestrian and cyclist deaths.

https://twitter.com/TaplinTerry/status/1489345276271755265

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Right answer seems to be to use trucks right-sized to city streets.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
https://twitter.com/NikilSaval/status/1490082335957692425?s=20&t=l0-Y0GPZfagHts2Hk4qqXQ

Out of Philly, another one for the file

edit as I dig into this: 71% of the public respondents preferred the three-lane option (most space reclaimed from cars, with buffered and wider bike lanes) and stated ped and bike safety as their top concerns. Then the city announced that the process for collecting feedback had not met "equity goals," did "additional analysis," and decided to go with a car-friendlier design Lol

Nitevision has issued a correction as of 23:50 on Feb 5, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

If it's once a loving month you'd think they could figure some way to deal with it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cugel the Clever posted:

i live in berkeley and bike down milvia and poo poo all the time.

they actually only took them out by the hospital but the others are still there. milvia has also been turned into a one-way street and far better than it was

since it's now oneway, hospital-related poo poo turns left and seems like couldn't make the turn but the ones in the approach are still there. seems like a bit twitter nothingburg

ill some photos but they turned the segment of milvia near university into one-way and are adding a bunch of concrete barries ontop of making it one-way. so yes this was a specific case and it's not a heavily vehicle traffied road, and opposite rat-racing direction, now that it's one-way.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Xaris posted:

i live in berkeley and bike down milvia and poo poo all the time.

they actually only took them out by the hospital but the others are still there. milvia has also been turned into a one-way street and far better than it was

since it's now oneway, hospital-related poo poo turns left and seems like couldn't make the turn but the ones in the approach are still there. seems like a bit twitter nothingburg

ill some photos but they turned the segment of milvia near university into one-way and are adding a bunch of concrete barries ontop of making it one-way. so yes this was a specific case and it's not a heavily vehicle traffied road, and opposite rat-racing direction, now that it's one-way.

Yea taking them out in one particular place and planning to replace them with something that can accommodate the service needs of the road is fine. I mean ideally the hospital would just be connected to the underground service rail system that obviously the city-at-large would have, but that world doesn't exist, so this seems like the best thing for the reality we currently inhabit.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

No machine gun mount and it probably gets like 4mpg, luckily gas will be plentiful and cheap in the wastes!

In the real post-apocalypse the true warlords will drive tuk-tuks.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
yeah the dumber thing is not that they removed them at one particular turn-out from the hospital, but rather that they put them in at that location in the first place. but they're still spending millions putting them in all along a bunch of other streets

it's still not a very safe city to bike in except a few particular streets. a lot of reasons for that is big doordash ubereats garbage where there's not parking but a bunch of gig workers dont have time to find parking else they get 1-star, so they just double park and use the "park anywhere" hazard lights in bus stops, bike lanes, or just on lanes in a road. often segments of an entir lane has been turned into defacto parking with 10+ uber eats cars stopped outside restaurants. uber drivers are basically a menace to everything; partly their fault, partly the entire gig app system fault for increasingly crushing everyone putting them on constant hustle-mode to barely make min wage.

the other issue is that it parallels i-580/i-80 and congestion is bad enough that it's often faster to zoom through city streets blowing through stops and school-zones to make up for having to be delayed 3-seconds too long at the last light. so there's a shitton of rat-racing and people trying to get around freeway congestion even if like 80%+ of cars travelling don't live there with mindset of everyone else should just die, their own fault for walking in a crosswalk when i gotta go fast and have another 1hr+ commute to finish. did you see how long it took that ped to cross?? rage. now im 10 seconds behind schedule.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
IME with oxygen tanker truck deliveries bigger trucks are considered safer because the less time that tanks of compressed oxygen spend rolling around the streets the better.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
i used to work on a dam project that had a very windy blind-turn mountainous 25-mph road that a bunch of rich porsches and beemers would try to fly down at like 60mph to avoid the freeway that was like 30 miles away so you still wouldn't really save any time. the cm ended up paying cops overtime to sit there because it was extremely dangerous to workers and trucks leaving the site, and that would work well for a little bit, but then just go back to normal. there were a few instances that a beemer slammed into a big haul truck as it was trying to leave

there were several occasions where it turned out some rich rear end in a top hat went flying off the cliff to pass someone or lost control and not a single person on the job site was ever sad to hear about it the next day and would often be gossiped about with glee

eventually they were able to close it to through traffic and it was extremely bliss

america is diseased

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Xaris posted:

america is diseased

It's not healthy

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

withak posted:

IME with oxygen tanker truck deliveries bigger trucks are considered safer because the less time that tanks of compressed oxygen spend rolling around the streets the better.

There was this thing in WW2 where ships full of ammunition would occasionally explode and they couldn't figure out exactly why or come up with specific procedures because every time it happened nobody was left to talk about what went exactly wrong. So the answer was just to be as careful as you possibly could and hope whatever had happened to another crew didn't happen to you.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's not healthy

cars suck a lot but I really think this is the root of the problem

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Blackhawk posted:

To be honest I don't see a ton of reason to get a 'normal' recumbent trike without the velomobile shell unless you have some kind of back or balance issue that precludes you from riding something with two weeks. Fully-faired velomobiles like mine (or the proper commercial ones) have most of the same down-sides as normal trikes, but some pretty significant upsides on account of the body shell including speed, weather protection, luggage space and IMO they're much more visible to other traffic due to their larger visual cross-section and higher speed (and you do get some impact protection from the shells of the commercial ones).

Negatives of recumbent trikes to consider before buying one:

- They are low and feel way more dangerous in heavy traffic, especially when riding past stopped cars in traffic jams
- They're too wide to fit through some gaps, I've found some particularly bad pieces of road/footpath/cycleway design that you'd never know riding a regular bike
- They're too heavy and awkward to lift over obstacles, so if you get stuck by a pole or something you're pretty screwed
- They're heavier than a regular bike and have greater rolling resistance so they're always going to suck more than a normal bike when going up hills

Fully-faired velomobiles have those same issues but IMO the advantages are worth it, especially if you live somewhere relatively flat or if your area has e-bike regulations without a speed limit (like NZ). I actually feel very safe in traffic in mine because I have a motor (legal power limit) which helps me keep up with traffic flow and it's such an unusual thing that everyone really sees me and pays attention (I get a lot of people filming me). I also have LED strips down the sides and back for riding at night which again, makes it WAY more visible to cars than a normal bike. It's also easier to carry a lot of weight due to the stability you get from three wheels, which makes it great for commuting. Gets really hot and sweaty in there in summer though, particularly when stopped or climbing steep hills.

Unfortunately given normal levels of human power it's impossible to make an unpowered velomobile easy enough to ride that a normal person could go at a reasonable speed and not end up in a puddle of sweat, especially in a hilly area, which makes it a non-starter for the vast majority of people. Also most countries around the world have e-bike regulations that make fitting a motor hardly worth it, 250W or so is fine in terms of power but a 25 kph speed limit before the motor cuts makes the whole thing pointless because with the aerodynamic fairing you'll quickly go much faster than that even with very little human power. There is an e-bike class in the EU that is allowed to go up to 45 kph and have a 500W motor which is significantly more worth-while, but I think there are some strict regulations covering those (have to be type-certified as mopeds) and the market for these things is so small that it's really not profitable to do.

I read this whole post. Will I be getting my degree in velomobilics through the mail, or is it like a certificate I print at home...?

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Chinburn affects more than the velocipedalimobilicist. It destroys families.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Xaris posted:

i used to work on a dam project that had a very windy blind-turn mountainous 25-mph road that a bunch of rich porsches and beemers would try to fly down at like 60mph to avoid the freeway that was like 30 miles away so you still wouldn't really save any time. the cm ended up paying cops overtime to sit there because it was extremely dangerous to workers and trucks leaving the site, and that would work well for a little bit, but then just go back to normal. there were a few instances that a beemer slammed into a big haul truck as it was trying to leave

there were several occasions where it turned out some rich rear end in a top hat went flying off the cliff to pass someone or lost control and not a single person on the job site was ever sad to hear about it the next day and would often be gossiped about with glee

eventually they were able to close it to through traffic and it was extremely bliss

america is diseased

a few years ago i got to live my dream and rode my bike up Stelvio Pass from Italy into Switzerland.

it was an amazing experience, interspersed every 2-3 min with sheer pants-making GBS threads terror as rich euro boomer douchebags in luxury sports cars drag raced within inches of me up and down this barely 1.5 lane mountain pass. just 60 yo men casually flying by at 70mph with their tops down in 35-degree weather blasting junk pop music in an otherwise serene alpine landscape.

reminded me of another time i got to live my dream biking along Trail Ridge Road in the Colorado Rockies, which was only marred by the dozens of fat tourists who slowed down to curse at me for making them wait a bit and then getting drenched in Dr. Pepper near the top when one threw a full McDonald's cup at me.

the only peaceful places left on earth are the ones cars can't get to

God Hole has issued a correction as of 14:56 on Feb 6, 2022

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i hate czars

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

One of the only enjoyable scenic drives I've had in the mountains was on the blue ridge parkway. GPS doesn't seem to direct people through it because it's not as efficient as other roads, so the only people on it are there because they want to be there. It's really nice.

Any other mountain road in the Appalachians is full of assholes. I've driven around the curves at high speeds to see what it's like. It sucks. I don't know why people do it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

God Hole posted:

a few years ago i got to live my dream and rode my bike up Stelvio Pass from Italy into Switzerland.

it was an amazing experience, interspersed every 2-3 min with sheer pants-making GBS threads terror as rich euro boomer douchebags in luxury sports cars drag raced within inches of me up and down this barely 1.5 lane mountain pass. just 60 yo men casually flying by at 70mph with their tops down in 35-degree weather blasting junk pop music in an otherwise serene alpine landscape.

reminded me of another time i got to live my dream biking along Trail Ridge Road in the Colorado Rockies, which was only marred by the dozens of fat tourists who slowed down to curse at me for making them wait a bit and then getting drenched in Dr. Pepper near the top when one threw a full McDonald's cup at me.

the only peaceful places left on earth are the ones cars can't get to

gently caress cars

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I've driven around the curves at high speeds to see what it's like. It sucks. I don't know why people do it.
b/c americans are dead inside and feel no joy in going to a job they hate, returning to their fat wives they married back in high school and hate, kids that take away their free time, and alienated bubble of suburbia they return home to roost every day. being a stones throw from flying off into the abyss is a thrill outside the rote-stopped-living-decade(s)-ago lifestyle they live; that they can end it but survive with ~pure skill~ and survive going down a curve and passing blindly fast breaths some feeling of living.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

gently caress cars

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

gently caress cars

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

wife and i walked to the park with our kid today, the part walking through quiet residential streets isnt bad but there's a part of the walk where you're on the sidewalk of a big thoroughfare. unpleasant!!! unpleasant to talk and stroll when cars are zooming by at 45 mph. gently caress cars!!!

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

lobster shirt posted:

wife and i walked to the park with our kid today, the part walking through quiet residential streets isnt bad but there's a part of the walk where you're on the sidewalk of a big thoroughfare. unpleasant!!! unpleasant to talk and stroll when cars are zooming by at 45 mph. gently caress cars!!!

Yeah, I went on a ride yesterday and was confronted by how haphazard the infrastructure is for pedestrians. What should have been a nice relaxing ride turns into an adventure of the path alternating sides of the road, and just disappearing causing you to have to negotiate the unimproved shoulder of what amounts to a highway while looking for a place to cross without getting smacked.

It's dangerous and basically not doable for someone who's not a fit adult.

I've also encountered a new pet peeve. People blocking the sidewalk with their cars, looking left so they can tell when traffic is clear so they can turn right, while not looking to their right to make sure that no one is coming from that direction. And then if you go behind them to cross the road, the car behind them gets angry and you're not visible to anyone turning on to the road.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
if i had a dollar for every time i’ve almost been hit by someone taking a right through the crosswalk i’m attempting to use because they’re only looking left to make sure there’s no cars coming i would have lots of dollars

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

if i had a dollar for every time i’ve almost been hit by someone taking a right through the crosswalk i’m attempting to use because they’re only looking left to make sure there’s no cars coming i would have lots of dollars

One of the easiest things we could do to reduce pedestrian deaths is to eliminate right-turns-on-red and implementing leading pedestrian intervals at crosswalks. This 57 second video explains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_hErrx9Ubk

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2022/02/04/self-driving-cars-why/ here is an article about why self driving cars are bad even if they work (which they dont and wont)

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
gently caress cars

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

leftist heap posted:

gently caress cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3nMnr8ZirI&t=5s

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

this but unironically (except for the xennial lobes/tats/face hair)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:lol: if that isn't who you picture while reading posts in this thread.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

withak posted:

:lol: if that isn't who you picture while reading posts in this thread.

I picture everyone on cspam as Matt Christman until proven otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
now there's a blast from the past. feels like eons ago