Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Lmao that has to be the passenger footpeg rig*scrolls down*—oh :lol:

Also can I rant on how loving cold it is JUST when I’m in the mood to finally put the engine back together? The oil heater in my tiny shed doesn’t seem to do much, probably because it’s a lovely home depot shed not meant for even temporary human habitation, but it’s also too cramped to use any kind of glowing electric heater since it’s within arms distance of solvents and other inflammable substances, usually in aerosol forms.

I’m considering maybe investing in one of those overhead ceiling mounted heaters but I think they carry the same risk??

Well I mean it’s really a disaster of my own making. When I geared up for a “winter project” I think I neglected to reflect on one of those two words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

LOL at the thought of the rear subframe delaminating when someone sits on it

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

I've been noticing blind spot alert sensors on a lot of cars lately; it's just a red or amber pip that lights up in the wing mirror to say "check your blind spot".

Thoroughly useless in heavy traffic obviously but seems like a nice thing to have when things are a bit more spread out. No reason a bike couldn't have something similar.

Cars need that because of the massive blind spots caused by the B and C pillars bloating out due to new rollover protection regulations. Unfortunately they haven't yet thought to do anything about the motorcycle (or pedestrian/cyclist)-sized blind spots caused by the massive airbag-containing A pillars.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.

Martytoof posted:

Also can I rant on how loving cold it is JUST when I’m in the mood to finally put the engine back together? The oil heater in my tiny shed doesn’t seem to do much, probably because it’s a lovely home depot shed not meant for even temporary human habitation, but it’s also too cramped to use any kind of glowing electric heater since it’s within arms distance of solvents and other inflammable substances, usually in aerosol forms.

You could insulate your shed, dude. I mean this advice doesn't help you at all right *now* but consider it as a summer project. Once properly insulated you can run the heater for a bit and it'll stay warm.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Martytoof posted:

Lmao that has to be the passenger footpeg rig*scrolls down*—oh :lol:

I’m considering maybe investing in one of those overhead ceiling mounted heaters but I think they carry the same risk??

Well I mean it’s really a disaster of my own making. When I geared up for a “winter project” I think I neglected to reflect on one of those two words.

Go back to Home Depot and get some insulation. The purple foam rigid stuff is a little easier to work with, especially with a serrated knife or hacksaw blade.
Move your solvents somewhere away from your workspace if you can, near a vent to the outside.
Get a little ceramic element electric heater to aim at your feet.
Wear some coveralls and good cushy rubber soled shoes (like crocs or dadstyle new balances).
Wear good nitrile gloves (Harbor Freight 7 mil).

I rebuilt a bike in a tiny cold shed one winter and all those things helped. I also went to my local Habitat for Humanity ReStore and cobbled together scraps of insulation, drywall, carpet, rubber/carpet doormats, and sheets of cardboard to insulate the floor with. In my current concrete-floored garage, I lay down cardboard and put old doormats and such over it at my workspaces. Keeps my feet warmer and provides cushion.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
why can't these dumb gently caress EV companies just make a GOOD loving MOTORCYCLE

no one cares about your stupid loving netflix playing, traffic sensing, blind spot monitoring trash bullshit that will break and cost $xxxx to fix

make a loving bike with two loving wheels propelled by a spinning chain that doesn't poo poo itself for no reason

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

HD did but it's ridiculously expensive (I got mine as a dealer demo bike, so I didn't pay brand new prices).

I might do a road trip to Orkney on mine, depending on the test ride with the missus on the back halfway to Aberdeen, i.e. see what sort of range I get with a pillion. If I can make it to Aberdeen with her on it, then charge it before the ferry ride to Orkney, I'll be sorted. Orkney has a large number of EV chargers as it makes more electricity than it can use via wind.

If I can't get to Aberdeen in one charge with the missus on the back, I'll take Fat Bob.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Razzled posted:

why can't these dumb gently caress EV companies just make a GOOD loving MOTORCYCLE

People seem quite happy with the Energica lineup.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

LodeRunner posted:

People seem quite happy with the Energica lineup.

yeah just yelling at the clouds. if i went EV it would be an energica at this point

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Because “we’re making teslas, except they’re motorcycles” sells to dumb VC shitlords

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Razzled posted:

no one cares about your stupid loving netflix playing, traffic sensing, blind spot monitoring trash bullshit that will break and cost $xxxx to fix

Forget ev's, I just want to see the end of this horrific trend of making the instrument cluster look like a ten year old tablet poorly jammed onto the triple clamp.

You have styling and engineering departments spend millions on making something coherent and stylish and then you just slam on a hideous black rectangle running janky javascript. The current 390 is by far the worst offender I've seen.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
yes, analog clusters are a gift and part of the charm of motorcycling. the dumb tesla-but-moto mindset of these VC grifting companies runs totally counter to what motos are about. regardless of how they are powered, motorcycles will never be an appliance like cars can be. (or atleast they shouldnt be imo)

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Day gets stranger. A friend of mine paid full $20,000 for a Lightning Strike Carbon Edition in early 2019. He took delivery of it in like... February 2020. But it was unfinished. Only had half the specs (battery, power, charging) that it was supposed to and was promised he'd be 'upgraded' later. Nice guy but fairly passive. After I trashed the Strike in a series of reviews and videos there was increased tension between me and Lightning, and it actually started impacting friendships I cared about. So I took a step back and focused on being diplomatic. I extended an olive branch and did a livestream with Richard at Lightning showing a bike at a charging station and answering questions.

Since then Richard at Lightning has been very friendly to me, and asked if I would consider writing a followup article showcasing the 'fixed' and/or upgraded Strikes. I said, "We can certainly talk about that but it's very important that my buddy J be made whole first. His bike is still half spec."

Immediately Richard took the bike back in and promised the full upgrade in 3 weeks. That was August. I check back in with J to see if Lightning has updated him, and they're continually very vague. This morning I woke up to an email from Richard at Lightning saying that J's bike is completed and do I have any way to contact J to let him know. Confused, I said sure. I started messaging J that I felt it was very important that he get a written list of all the changes to the bike before he picked it up. Lightning balked at first, and said verbal only. J was polite but firm, and then they promised him they would email him the full list. He thought that sounded great and went and picked the bike up like 20 minutes ago.

I can't even. He's never going to get that email

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Ofcourse they hosed him.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Oh no question.

Anyone wanna buy a Lightning Strike Carbon Edition?

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Today I punched a man in the face.

I was riding home this evening; the sun had long since gone down. I approached a familiar intersection which has 3 Southbound lanes and 2 Northbound lanes. 2 of the Southbound ones are East turn lanes only, and the third heads to Big Sur. There is a stoplight. gently caress it hang on lemme just use Google Maps and draw stupid poo poo on it with paint

I'm in the spot where the white truck is, stopped at red light, blinker on. loving old man in Prius comes Northbound straight towards me into my lane. Directly at me. I've got my Packtalk blasting god knows what and also ear plugs for wind noise so there's no way I'll be able to verbally communicate with this guy. I frantically wave at him to veer into his goddamn lane as he starts to slow down and I can see him flailing around madly being mad at me because he thinks I'm in his lane. He crosses the intersection, slowing, but still heading straight for me. There is a car also waiting in the lane to my right so my options are limited. Eventually he veers East but not in time. As he continues to creep forward he starts to run into my front wheel and push me back (I let off the brake immediately) as I plant my right foot hard to keep the bike up, which I do. He squeezes up next to me, old (70s) white guy with passenger and he's frothing and gesticulating wildly. To the best of my knowledge I gathered my best angry voice threatening voice, and yell at him to get in his loving lane. Then I notice his window is down as he clips my left mirror.

So I punched him in the face. I'm not a lefty. It certainly didn't have much heft behind it, but I had gloves on and it was enough to make his head bobble back a bit. I noticed my light had turned green so I hauled out of there.

On the plus side it was dark enough so that I don't think this guy will, if he's local, be able to identify me or my bike, but I don't know. Doesn't appear there's any damage to my bike. I will double check the front end alignment though because he literally was driving into me.

LodeRunner fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 5, 2022

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Mental old man, he should hand in his license.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I punched a man in Cali just to watch him cry

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Don't you wish you had a helmet cam?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I punched a man in Cali just to watch him cry

New thread title imo.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

On a lighter note, I still deal with other forums and internet apologists for that Canadian vaporware company, Damon. There is this one hardcore zealot who, despite all evidence, firmly believes they will be the Second Coming of Christ and all of us are hyenas. He is mighty lion. This was his post this morning. I am one of the hyenas apparently.

I loving love the internet.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

LodeRunner posted:

On a lighter note, I still deal with other forums and internet apologists for that Canadian vaporware company, Damon. There is this one hardcore zealot who, despite all evidence, firmly believes they will be the Second Coming of Christ and all of us are hyenas. He is mighty lion. This was his post this morning. I am one of the hyenas apparently.

I loving love the internet.

tbh, I thought there was going to be lord there than just “and they scatter”. Also, good job only getting a little run over and not dying.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
BIKER ASSAULTS OLD MAN

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Nidhg00670000 posted:

BIKER ASSAULTS OLD MAN

Today's story is BIKER BERATES OLD WOMAN. Found this on my bike today which was in the center of a clearly designated parking spot.

It reads, "You think you should take a whole car spot for your motorcycle - I'll report you". Then she emerged from her vehicle. What a fun day.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

And yet when you split past them, they also lose their mind that you're not using a full car sized space. You can't win

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Were you in a barbershop quartet?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

LodeRunner posted:

Today's story is BIKER BERATES OLD WOMAN. Found this on my bike today which was in the center of a clearly designated parking spot.

It reads, "You think you should take a whole car spot for your motorcycle - I'll report you". Then she emerged from her vehicle. What a fun day.

You should point out that you are clearly only taking maybe maximum 30 to 40% of a whole car slot by area and to kindly get her facts straight :colbert:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

LodeRunner posted:

Did you punch her?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Did you punch her?

It looks like he wadded the note up and threw it at her.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

and then picked it up after to take a photo of it. badass lol

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Clearly ripped it up in front of her to assert dominance but I don't litter :colbert:

Realized it was in my pocket later so internet points to be had.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh hm I just noticed it is the same person who punched the old man in the face and wadded up this note in anger.

You might want to do a little self reflection, dude. You know the saying: if you meet an rear end in a top hat one day, you met an rear end in a top hat. If you meet nothing but assholes every day, you are the rear end in a top hat.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

I think the lesson here is gently caress old people.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Yuck, no thanks

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I used to love taking up a whole parking space when I had a bike. The one or two times anyone ever mentioned it, I'd say something about "saving space for my friends' bikes," and then I'd put on a poo poo-eating grin and go "I also don't have to pay a cent."

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

Oh hm I just noticed it is the same person who punched the old man in the face and wadded up this note in anger.

You might want to do a little self reflection, dude. You know the saying: if you meet an rear end in a top hat one day, you met an rear end in a top hat. If you meet nothing but assholes every day, you are the rear end in a top hat.

Yeah Loderunner, have you considered not *checks notes* being a victim of Vehicular Assault and *checks notes* being harassed for parking in a parking spot like a normal human being? Try to be the bigger man next time, ok?

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Coydog posted:

Yeah Loderunner, have you considered not *checks notes* being a victim of Vehicular Assault and *checks notes* being harassed for parking in a parking spot like a normal human being? Try to be the bigger man next time, ok?

poo poo

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Punch all the idiot cagers in the mouth, shut up sagebrush

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Idk on the one hand,

Razzled posted:

Punch all the idiot cagers in the mouth

But on the other hand, half the point of having a bike is so you don't need to use car parks and trudge for miles. Or are you not allowed to park on the sidewalk ten feet from the shop like a fucken king?

I think you need to have a third altercation for statistical purposes so we can really figure this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

At this point I think the next logical step is for me to just run over an old person.