Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Mary Worth is the Santa Royale Donald Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

The Morgans...LOSE money?

I'm by no means a Rex Morgan or legal scholar, but let me see if I have this right: The con artist is alleging a child stole his idea, and is pursuing direct legal action against the child? This seems to be a nonstarter to my layman eyes, even if a 7 year old (or however old she is) saw your idea and took it, you can't expect to argue in any meaningful way the child was aware of what they were doing and their family owes you damages. It seems to me that you'd go after the publisher or at least gin up a story that the parents convinced the kid to take some of your personal drawings to give the suit some kind of legs.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Wasn't a previous Mary Worth storyline about an abuse survivor who only left her abuser after he straight up shot at her? This seriously paints a hideous picture of Karen Moy and what her beliefs regarding abuse are

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

So... they're just going to ignore forever that Mark is currently out on bail? That he has criminal charges pending against him, and a court date coming up, and possibly even restrictions on his movements or activities, and that he needs to get a drat lawyer ASAP? That dealing with court poo poo is now going to become a major focus of Mark's life, and this kind of court poo poo can potentially drag out for years?
Sorry I can't hear you over all the SASS PANCAKES TWO FISTS OF JUSTICE INFLUENCERS

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Calaveron posted:

Wasn't a previous Mary Worth storyline about an abuse survivor who only left her abuser after he straight up shot at her? This seriously paints a hideous picture of Karen Moy and what her beliefs regarding abuse are

The abuse husband died.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins Going all the way back to 2001.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Mercury Hat posted:

I'm by no means a Rex Morgan or legal scholar, but let me see if I have this right: The con artist is alleging a child stole his idea, and is pursuing direct legal action against the child? This seems to be a nonstarter to my layman eyes, even if a 7 year old (or however old she is) saw your idea and took it, you can't expect to argue in any meaningful way the child was aware of what they were doing and their family owes you damages. It seems to me that you'd go after the publisher or at least gin up a story that the parents convinced the kid to take some of your personal drawings to give the suit some kind of legs.
I'm not a lawyer, but yes, it seems this would be easily beaten in court based almost entirely on the fact that he's a confirmed con artist and has no real evidence that it was his idea that was stolen.

I know civil has different standards than criminal but I still think there's not much standing here. Apparently he hasn't even filed anything so I think the point is he's trying to get a free payday.

Of course, this whole situations should not have happened because Vidpa should never have read the drat story in the first place, much less published it.

Calaveron posted:

Yes, he used to abuse her by tripping her and then he shot her dog. (CW: Link goes to a dog being shot in Mary Worth.)

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

he leaves his job and becomes a background character in another, more serious, business crime drama

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

davidspackage posted:

She can't keep getting away with this

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'm going to predict that Rex and/or Sarah is such a goody goody that they will offer up evidence that supports Rene's case entirely because it is wrong to hide the incredibly inconclusive sketch book with a generic sketch of a generic dog.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Only in death does Mary's influence end

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Mercury Hat posted:

Why did they sign this contract, anyway? Did the Morgans at least get a lawyer to look it over?

They basically had Vidpa over a barrel on this one, for precisely the thing the Art Teacher is suing them over, and he admitted to it. How did they wind up with a contract that drops the legal risk on the Morgans?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

John Allison posted:

It’s the kind of night where someone would bring their lifelike sex doll and prop it up at the bar. Anything goes. Good luck Tim!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Trickjaw posted:

Someone must find them amusing, They just totally confuse me.

It helps A LOT that Charles Boyce appears to be a really sweet dude. So there's that morbid curiosity/WTF factor of "What am I even looking at right now," but also unironically pulling for a nice man who's trying to live his dream, or at the very least do a hobby he seems to like.

Murdstone posted:

I'm not a lawyer, but yes, it seems this would be easily beaten in court based almost entirely on the fact that he's a confirmed con artist and has no real evidence that it was his idea that was stolen.

I know civil has different standards than criminal but I still think there's not much standing here. Apparently he hasn't even filed anything so I think the point is he's trying to get a free payday.

Of course, this whole situations should not have happened because Vidpa should never have read the drat story in the first place, much less published it.

The only evidence he's even given is the picture of the two dogs in the story next to a picture of two dogs he says he drew, but they obviously weren't two dogs he drew way back when because they were on the same poster board as Sarah's two dogs. He hasn't even shown any of the pictures he allegedly had around the studio back then.

So what I'm saying is can I go to the Rex Morgan syndicate and tell them I was a little girl drawing two dogs way back in the 80's and hold up a picture of me as a little girl in the 80's and win some kind of settlement?

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

Night Visitors

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

human
soul
tem-
pura

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Human Soul Tempura is a prime username

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kennel posted:

Into Ilves

Why, just let the bear eat the guy cmon.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Human Soul Tempura is a prime username

looks like a giant sperm cell

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Small payload tonight...

Mutts

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine gets its very first curtain of shame, because OOF.

Peanuts (February 8, 1975)

Harry Dinklebean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 7, 1938)

Out Our Way (March 14-16, 1938)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

EasyEW posted:

Pearls Before Swine gets its very first curtain of shame, because OOF.

Pastis if you are actually trapped in the early-mid 00s like this comic's humor you can redeem yourself by warning everyone about Trump or just taking him out yourself.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Powered Descent posted:

So... they're just going to ignore forever that Mark is currently out on bail? That he has criminal charges pending against him, and a court date coming up, and possibly even restrictions on his movements or activities, and that he needs to get a drat lawyer ASAP? That dealing with court poo poo is now going to become a major focus of Mark's life, and this kind of court poo poo can potentially drag out for years?
Rivera is very bad at writing stories. She can write little pieces of them, but they don't actually connect or pay off in any way.

Mercury Hat posted:

I think Belluso is going after the publisher, but the Morgans signed an incredibly bad contract that says they have to pay the publisher back for any money they lose due to this. Which incentivises the publisher to pay Belluso off to make him go away, because they end up losing nothing.

maltesh posted:

Why did they sign this contract, anyway? Did the Morgans at least get a lawyer to look it over?

They basically had Vidpa over a barrel on this one, for precisely the thing the Art Teacher is suing them over, and he admitted to it. How did they wind up with a contract that drops the legal risk on the Morgans?
I think the Morgans trusted the contract because Vidpa is a friend of a friend and surely he wouldn't let his publisher offer them a bad contract.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That's quite a new avatar

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Here's your weekly Mary Worth recap.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mary you do not have to accept people who abuse you god drat

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i don't think you need to continue being a "true friend" to someone who continually and predictably shows that level of disregard for your feelings and concerns, actually

sometimes it's healthy to not forgive people!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Here's your weekly Mary Worth recap.

Life's too short to continue putting your precious energy into a friendship (or romantic relationship) with someone who thinks his wants and desires are the only ones that matter.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

F Minus

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

Kill your boss.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
While browsing Twitter for other people actively angry at Mary Worth:

https://twitter.com/damnyouwillis/status/1490093729860005889?t=zLRNepzSJeHvsk-mpTNCxg&s=19

:vince:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak / Somewhere in this town plain, or Couldn't you have informed Chino about the plan?, or The best part of waking up / is the Folgers in you- AAAAAAAAAAH!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Just ask Ron Higgins, professional Cardinal Richelieu impersonator.

Murdstone posted:

The sketchbook would count as real evidence, but he doesn't know the sketchbook exists. I think. Oh god, what if he saw Sarah drawing that picture in her sketchbook when she was taking lessons from him and he remembered about it when he saw the Kitty Cop book? I would say he shouldn't know about the memory loss though, but apparently random reporters knew about it so sure, why wouldn't he I guess.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Axa: The :catdrugs: Saga Continues

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (March 14-16, 1938)

Not sure what bit of modernity would have solved this problem, but it is nice to see a "the old days really sucked" strip focusing on "women's work".

Gnoman fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: bonding (September 26 - October 2, 2005)

Modern Kevin & Kell