Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
The main problem with the steam deck is that it's controller layout looks really uncomfortable. I'm leaning towards an Odin for that reason alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Weird Sandwich posted:

The main problem with the steam deck is that it's controller layout looks really uncomfortable. I'm leaning towards an Odin for that reason alone.
While it looks strange, I feel like all the hands-on reports would have mentioned that months ago if it were the case.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Froist posted:

I’m kinda regretting picking up a 552 having seen all these previews of the Odin now. It seems to improve on every shortcoming, and the 552 is kinda stuck in limbo right now - the best Linux CFW can’t share a ROMs card with Android and there’s no ETA on a better version of that. I knew it’d be down to community support anyway, just feels like by the time devs got their hands on it it was maybe more limited than people expected :(

Barudak posted:

The 552 and all its ilk are unuseable to me as long as they have their weird shoulder button layout.

I've had my 552 for about a week now and last night I put the 351 Elec beta on it, which is great btw, so I thought I might as well share my thoughts. I know they're competing products but to me the 552 and the Odin are just for different use cases. I think with the D-Pad placement and the screen's aspect ratio the 552 is ideal for any of the retro systems that you controlled mainly with a D-Pad. For me that's PS1 and down. I know that covers the same ground as all of the old 3326 devices did but I just consider the 552 a super-premium version of them. Is it worth the money? That all depends on your personal feelings. The Odin seems hands down better for newer consoles and android games if you're into that.

For me I really only play GBC, GBA, SNES, and a couple of PS1 games and I really love my 552. Totally worth the upgrade.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Retroid Pocket 2+ One Month Later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjIe1NkxjMQ

Ayn Odin Gamecube and Wii Performance Tests

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z26wT00t9IU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVhbxSvy5Tg&t=2595s

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve been ignoring the Ayn Odin Pro because I got it confused with the Aya Neo Pro and assumed everyone was talking about a 1000$+ emulation device.

Now looking more into it and seeing it comes in a clear purple… hmmm…

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Rolo posted:

I’ve been ignoring the Ayn Odin Pro because I got it confused with the Aya Neo Pro and assumed everyone was talking about a 1000$+ emulation device.

Honestly it was the fact that it comes in clear purple that sealed the deal for me. I went ahead and ordered one :)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Can we get some kind of vague summaries?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Not from The United States. I'm half convinced they're an algorithm that just posts every new YouTube video into whatever thread is most relevant

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Rolo posted:

remigious posted:

Honestly it was the fact that it comes in clear purple that sealed the deal for me. I went ahead and ordered one :)

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with taste.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rinkles posted:

Can we get some kind of vague summaries?
RP2+ One Month Later: PS2 and GC not really there yet, N64 is good since the RP2 struggled with that, streaming problems with wifi connection (antstream?) and the PS5 streaming app just not compatible, size and price mean it's really in a category of its own compared to the competition, battery life is surprisingly good since its so much more powerful than the RP2 and it still lasts a week on standby

Other videos: they're just footage of how well powerful games are running

flavor.flv posted:

Not from The United States. I'm half convinced they're an algorithm that just posts every new YouTube video into whatever thread is most relevant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-mqChLMuJY

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 4, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If you have an Odin be sure to check out the latest nightly build of Dolphin. Supposedly it’s dramatically increased GameCube performance.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
They’re already getting windows 11 games to work on the Odin. AND it’s purple got dang.

https://youtu.be/6NADjIc9uNk

Because I focus on the stupidest part: I hope you can scratch off that ugly logo on the bottom left. It doesn’t look good at all to me but wow the rest of the thing looks fantastic.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
WULFF DEN Odin Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOE76NBOTCw

Rolo posted:

They’re already getting windows 11 games to work on the Odin. AND it’s purple got dang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NADjIc9uNk
I'm impressed with how far Microsoft's x86/x64 to ARM translation layer has progressed to the point that 360 era games are playable on a snapdragon 845, I guess Apple really lit a fire under them

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 4, 2022

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Every video makes me angrier that I didn't back the campaign. I blame all of the naysayers itt, because I don't want to admit my own mistakes

Maybe somebody will try porting it to the RP2+ one day so I can play Oblivion at 12 fps and tell myself it's just as good

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

flavor.flv posted:

Every video makes me angrier that I didn't back the campaign. I blame all of the naysayers itt, because I don't want to admit my own mistakes

Maybe somebody will try porting it to the RP2+ one day so I can play Oblivion at 12 fps and tell myself it's just as good

It’s not too late to order, I think you can place an order until the feb 8th.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

remigious posted:

It’s not too late to order, I think you can place an order until the feb 8th.

When are they supposed to ship? The campaign says January 22.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

flavor.flv posted:

Just because no one wanted to jump in a 4 pack with you didn't prevent you from pre-ordering a single one for yourself, also the really cheap 4 pack was for the Lite model which we still haven't seen and we don't know how good it is.

You lost the "super early bird" discount of $25-30 sure but that was bullshit meant to foment FOMO anyway, and the record of kickstarters/indiegogos hooking people in with those early bird discounts and then fulfilling those orders last is a long one, so everyone had good reason to be wary.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 4, 2022

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I kindly refer you to the second half of that sentence you quoted

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

flavor.flv posted:

I kindly refer you to the second half of that sentence you quoted
The RP2+ cannot run ARM Windows and likely never will be able to, it doesn't support every chipset and needs more RAM anyway.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Rolo posted:

When are they supposed to ship? The campaign says January 22.

My understanding is pro units were shipped already to the first 200 backers, the rest of us will have to wait until after Chinese New Year celebrations are over.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

remigious posted:

My understanding is pro units were shipped already to the first 200 backers, the rest of us will have to wait until after Chinese New Year celebrations are over.

Hopefully they’ve fixed the few QC issues they had with those units moving forward too.

One really positive thing I’ve heard about the Odin pro is how crazy good the battery life is. It’s definitely a step up on that front.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Can the 552 run PSP decently?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Odin Pro is just Android, right?

These reviews make me consider it, but I just really, really hate Android as a gaming-only OS. If I could install Batocera or something on it, I’d probably get one, but for now I think I’ll just wait for the Steam Deck.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Has anyone hacked a Switch Lite yet?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Rolo posted:

Has anyone hacked a Switch Lite yet?

I wish, I have one sitting in a drawer just waiting on it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

TVs Ian posted:

Odin Pro is just Android, right?

These reviews make me consider it, but I just really, really hate Android as a gaming-only OS. If I could install Batocera or something on it, I’d probably get one, but for now I think I’ll just wait for the Steam Deck.

there's a win11 version, which idk how I feel about that. If you can turn off all the tattletale stuff, it could be a nice gaming OS.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
So I found a used Razer Phone 2 on Swappa for $150 shipped. I technically found two of 'em at that price, but for reasons that don't merit description, we'll call it one. Got a refurbished Kishi and TB SD card for it, $50 and $188 respectively. Still gonna get a Steam Deck when my number gets called. Very happy about the current state of affairs in the mobile world right now. My bank account would disagree, of course.

Also, I dunno if this might be of interest to anybody else, but I found this place called kimovil that lets you filter phones like PCPartPicker does PC parts. I think it might could be possible for some enterprising goon to make a bot that picks a list of devices with specific SoCs, say, any Snapdragon 845 and up, and then maybe once a day crawls Swappa's listings for, say, everything <$160, and then spits out an email whenever something new pops up with that criteria. Seems more efficient than just putting down subscriptions for every permutation of every device that's good for emulating.

Sorry if this isn't the place for so many :words: about phones. If a mod prefers I can move it somewhere else

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Amazon has 128gb Micro sd cards for $10 today.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YGZ7JD5/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1&linkCode=sl1&tag=sec2002-20

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I want to grab one but I’m weird about buying those off Amazon.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s $10 and if it’s fake return it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

I want to grab one but I’m weird about buying those off Amazon.

Yeah I get it and I was as well but,

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s $10 and if it’s fake return it.

I just picked up two even though I should probably get a few more for all these dumb devices lol

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

e: nvm. I guess that is a possible price for those these days.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I was just gifted an nvidia shield. Is there a good resource for tweaking these things?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A shield portable, a shield tablet, or a shield set-top box?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
A set top box.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Holy crap, RGC's first of three Ayn Odin videos is 50min long.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK9-5fdpicg

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Russ seemed pretty happy with the Odin, so I'm excited to see what kind of configuration magic he gets up to with it. The more I see about it, the more excited I am to eventually get mine.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

To be clear, if I ordered one from indiegogo it’s not gonna arrive for like 6 months, right?

But it looks so good.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I was just gifted an nvidia shield. Is there a good resource for tweaking these things?

I've been reading that Android 11 broke some things in regards to how external storage is accessed.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/19/22891143/nvidia-shield-tv-android-11-update-bugs

Nvidia has been reportedly working on it. If it's not updated, put it off and keep an eye on the news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Willeh posted:

To be clear, if I ordered one from indiegogo it’s not gonna arrive for like 6 months, right?

But it looks so good.

Na I’d say two months or so.

I also ordered mine from IGG.