Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

If they made a current Camry or Avalon wagon in NA I’d buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ThirstyBuck posted:

If they made a current Camry or Avalon wagon in NA I’d buy it.

no one bought the earlier Venza so it turned in to a real CUV

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

no one bought the earlier Venza so it turned in to a real CUV

It was based on the camry but it was still lifted crossover style. And ugly.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

ThirstyBuck posted:

If they made a gr corolla wagon in NA I’d buy it.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
BMW Thread: I wish I could just buy a Camry Wagon

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

With a carbon fiber front bench seat

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Ever wonder what f10 tire sizes and fitment look like on an e9x?

Chonky.

These were the only snows I had mounted on BMW wheels, so I went for it, and they baaaarely rub in one spot up front. (I need new fender liners anyway)

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

My mom put her name on the list for an i4 eDrive40.

What really sold her on it was the trunk:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

My mom put her name on the list for an i4 eDrive40.

What really sold her on it was the trunk:

Had she never seen a sportback before?

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Alright maybe I’m dumb and don’t know what the badges specifically mean, but isn’t “i# eDrive”redundant?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the i4 part is the model and the edrive# is the rough trim/power level (like sdrive30i and xdrive40 or whatever)

its dumb but it's consistently dumb

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
poor concussed Golden Retriever in the back. :woof: :smith:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

lol at 245 miles of range in the M50 model. that is frankly pathetic compared to the competition.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

KillHour posted:

Had she never seen a sportback before?

Yes, and she specifically likes them. Just didn't realize that it was being used in this model which is nice.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

lol at 245 miles of range in the M50 model. that is frankly pathetic compared to the competition.

Haven't the Germans been super conservative with their advertised ranges?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Our gas car has ~500 miles of range (20 gallons?) when using highways etc

Longest average trip for me is about 40 miles one way. Periodically we would drive into the foothills about 150 miles away, so I guess we'd need about 300 miles of range per day

240 seems pretty adequate, especially if you can charge at/near your day trip destination

My mother in laws car has an 30 mile EV mode and she doesn't hardly use her gas engine anymore since the grocery store is about 2 miles away

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

More people need to track their mileage for a month or longer before they complain they need 300+ mile range, not calling KOTEX out in particular just in general. I had an i3 with 55-75 mile range depending on weather, it was fine more than 95% of the time. I had the range extender and barely used it. Sure 300+mi range is cool but having that as your minimum range seems pretty short sighted unless you're doing weekly 200+ mile trips.

We had another vehicle for road trips but you can always, covid bs aside, rent a car for the few times a year when you need to drive a bunch of miles and can't be bothered to quick charge.

I see it like the people that need a F350HD+ dually because they tow a camper or trailer 3-4 times a year. Rent that crap and drive/insure/maintain/store something suited to your needs the rest of the time.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
On longer road trips I hate slowing down to stop & get gas for the 9 minutes that takes, so stopping for 6 hours to charge every 240 miles would be really annoying but I suppose in a real life driving situation the range on those is likely fine for 99% of users 99% of the time, but in my mind a BMW should always be an Autobahn-crushing Gran Tourer at heart and ready to drive 48 hours straight at 160mph.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Call me crazy, but I have a feeling that a not-insignificant proportion of people buying EV cars today also have a gas powered car they can take on long trips.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

The problem with just rent a car are like right now where stock is hard to come by and you dont know what youll get if anything. Additionally the whole hassle and ordeal of having to plan that. If you are a planning type sure thats fine. If you are someone that is like, “hey honey lets drive to tahoe this weekend” that really sucks. Yes I understand the extrapolation to the towing situation cosplay use case thing whatever but I think is a bit further down the spectrum to reality.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the i4 part is the model and the edrive# is the rough trim/power level (like sdrive30i and xdrive40 or whatever)

its dumb but it's consistently dumb

Yeah I get the numbers at the end of eDrive… but why do you need the eDrive?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If we bought an EV, we'd probably keep our gas car for long trips and stuff, since we don't really need two cars and even a 50 mile range EV would be acceptable for 92-97% of all daily tasks, and also because we're taking the gas car out of daily service, annual maintenance costs ought to drop off considerably for the gas car

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Big Jesus posted:

Yeah I get the numbers at the end of eDrive… but why do you need the eDrive?

to match the fact that they call the other drive systems sDrive and xDrive

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

lol just realized the bavarians have owned elon by actually creating SEX DRIVE

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Ether Frenzy posted:

On longer road trips I hate slowing down to stop & get gas for the 9 minutes that takes, so stopping for 6 hours to charge every 240 miles would be really annoying but I suppose in a real life driving situation the range on those is likely fine for 99% of users 99% of the time, but in my mind a BMW should always be an Autobahn-crushing Gran Tourer at heart and ready to drive 48 hours straight at 160mph.

I mean, the only time you're going to be charging to 6 hours is if you're plugging it in to a regular power socket. It's closer to 15-25 min to get 80% range back, so 250+ miles. Probably should be taking a break every few hours anyway.

fknlo posted:

Haven't the Germans been super conservative with their advertised ranges?

For the Taycan, definitely. Tesla is the worst offender when it comes to cheating the EPA test, which I'm sure will shock everyone here.

https://insideevs.com/reviews/443791/ev-range-test-results/

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

The tests that people have done during reviews are saying they're getting closer to 270 when not keeping it in sport mode all the time. The regular I4 I've seen people saying they've been getting 325+ with normal use in England fall temperatures.

245mi seems pretty reasonable since you can just plug it in to charge over night, unless your normal commute is 120 miles each way.

Even for trips, driving 200 miles would be around 3 hours at which point it wouldn't hurt to take a break and put some more in the tank.

Or like other people said here you also can just own an ICE vehicle more suited for long distance trips instead of a luxury sports sedan. We use the wife's Lexus SUV for road trips because of all the extra stuff we have to pack when you have a young child.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

to match the fact that they call the other drive systems sDrive and xDrive

What the hell is sDrive

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

lol just realized the bavarians have owned elon by actually creating SEX DRIVE

sexDrive3 :colbert:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

KillHour posted:

What the hell is sDrive

Single axle drive.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

KillHour posted:

What the hell is sDrive

///sexDrive 3

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Big Jesus posted:

///sexDrive 3

brb rebadging the e39

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i am very intrigued by the i4 but all the reviews thus far say the steering is awful

man BMW really fell hard on that one

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

bmw steering quality is inversely proportional to model year, after all

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
But what if I don't want my good looking car to look like poo poo, what then BMG?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i am very intrigued by the i4 but all the reviews thus far say the steering is awful

man BMW really fell hard on that one

What the hell are you talking about? All of the ones I've seen say it's great

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
Seems like as long as the car turns in the correct direction when you turn the wheel your steering should be fine

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

What the hell are you talking about? All of the ones I've seen say it's great

C&D said it had insufficient steering feedback, autogefuehl called it very un-BMW like and not confidence building with poor feel, out of spec said the steering is quite vague just off top of my head

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
BMW Thread: The car turns in the correct direction

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The correct steering direction for a BMW is countersteer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

Seems like as long as the car turns in the correct direction when you turn the wheel your steering should be fine

Fine for a Mercedes, not THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE