Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I am like 20 hours in just fought the Loup Garou mini boss. Howlongtobeat shows 47 hours to complete, I am guessing as usual their time is understated. I am exploring as much as I can and trying to get all the essences. The ost of this game is brilliant, it's so distinct from Persona but still as good imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
howlongtobeat usually overestimates for me. It's a useful tool but you have to know how your play speed compares to the average person

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I guess I kinda do everything and die a lot so. This is why the time is underestimated for me.

Like for P5 it shows 97 hours for a normal run but I got 120 hour without completing everything.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I have pretty consistently found that I am about +25% over whatever time is listed in howlongtobeat regardless of the game.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m usually 10% under with linear games and about 20% over with anything with exploration

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I am always way way over HLTB estimates in every game, and definitely for RPGs.

My first playthrough (normal, no dlc, 200 miman, all sidequests except for Shiva) took me around 90 hours. I didn’t really grind, but I tried to recruit nearly every demon and do all the special fusions, so that took a bit. You could dramatically reduce that if you just wanted to get to the end.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's completionist categories that try to guess at 100%, for what it's worth.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Yeah, but i still feel like i go way over the estimate even in more linear games. I think i'm just slow

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Probably worth remembering that the times listed are roughly based on user-submitted times and some people are always going to lie when entering it. Because, uh... they can, really.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Stux posted:

he doesnt wear a hat at all. cinema sin #1

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Andrigaar posted:

And I totally intend (follow-through however is dependent on patience) to grab all 200 mimans a second time for those sweet, sweet balms :shepicide:

For my first NG+ where I did Reborn, I just mostly ignored Mimans and rushed to story objectives, ignoring battles along the way, then hit up Chironnup for the locations and went back. It's much, much faster to do it that way than to look for them all all over again (unless you're looking at a guide I guess).

e: Also remember that there's some talismans locked behind Mimans so you even ignoring the balms you might want those (even though the default Critical skill is pretty much always the best).

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Twelve by Pies posted:

For my first NG+ where I did Reborn, I just mostly ignored Mimans and rushed to story objectives, ignoring battles along the way, then hit up Chironnup for the locations and went back. It's much, much faster to do it that way than to look for them all all over again (unless you're looking at a guide I guess).

e: Also remember that there's some talismans locked behind Mimans so you even ignoring the balms you might want those (even though the default Critical skill is pretty much always the best).

Oh, I'm doing the same and rushing down the abscesses, quest markers, and save points. That way I can get to that Chironnup and put the mimans on my map. In fact I just wrapped up the first two acts, minus the one behind the story gate, for mimans. Forgot about the talismans though, as I've been meaning to turn in the remaining 199 at the same time during act 4. Still want to actually since everything so far deals around 20 damage on a crit and dies in a few hits.

The story on replay makes way more sense, and it's interesting to see how much is actually blatantly laid out early on. Some of the second-hand observations/exposition make me think of monologues that were thrown at Demi in Nocturne even.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I got to the second Netherworld region, game is very good. The story has already taken a few unexpected turns. For alignment, if I’m trying to stay neutral should I pick Law half the time and Chaos the other half? Like for the opposing demon quests, should I go lawful for two and chaos for the other two to avoid moving too far one way? Or does it not really matter? Are the unique miracles you unlock only for the Law or Chaos routes?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

hatty posted:

I’m usually 10% under with linear games and about 20% over with anything with exploration

This makes sense, I also just play like a moron most of the time so I die a lot until I learn what I am doing wrong.

Btw are the special fusions worth using? It costs so much but I got King Jack Frost just cause he looks awesome.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I got to the second Netherworld region, game is very good. The story has already taken a few unexpected turns. For alignment, if I’m trying to stay neutral should I pick Law half the time and Chaos the other half? Like for the opposing demon quests, should I go lawful for two and chaos for the other two to avoid moving too far one way? Or does it not really matter? Are the unique miracles you unlock only for the Law or Chaos routes?

Anyone can do the base neutral route, you never have to worry about your responses, quests, etc. However, there’s no exclusive miracle or extra side quest like the other two.

Neutral does have one exclusive demon (like law and chaos) if you’re intending on a 100% compendium.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Ulio posted:

Btw are the special fusions worth using? It costs so much but I got King Jack Frost just cause he looks awesome.

Yes, they usually carry a good exclusive skill and are better than demons of similar level resistances-wise. Keep in mind they're expensive because they're summoning the component demons from your compendium, you can always go back and recruit the component demons and if you have them all it's free, this is even easier in this game since you can use the Analyze menu option to see where you can find each one specifically.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The only problem I have with the special fusions are that from what I can tell, they rarely if ever fuse up, so if you approach upgrading your team by fusing for higher-level demons when possible, you'll end up with Lahmu and Hydra just sorta sitting there in your demon stock.

...yeah you can guess what my demon stock looks like.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

You should keep Hydra in your stock so he can have a chat with his brother.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Cleretic posted:

The only problem I have with the special fusions are that from what I can tell, they rarely if ever fuse up, so if you approach upgrading your team by fusing for higher-level demons when possible, you'll end up with Lahmu and Hydra just sorta sitting there in your demon stock.

Mine was full mostly with the female demons... and Hydra... and Lahmu...

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I never really had that problem, I fused away Hydra, Lahmu, Idun etc. eventually. I don't remember what I turned them into, though.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

My first playthough special demons didn't stay in my party for very long because I was trying to fill out the compendium, so when a special demon like Lahmu started lagging behind in levels/damage, it was just a simple matter of Reverse Compendium Fusion and going "Oh, I don't have this demon" and fusing it. And yeah, sometimes that resulted in a worse demon than the one I had, but if they were already essentially perma benched I wasn't really losing anything, and I was at least gaining compendium info.

I really do wish that fusion searching was better though. On this playthrough I want to make demons, but there's no way to say "Okay, I have Lahmu, what can I pull from the compendium and make with him?" It's only demons in my active party, or search every demon one by one through reverse compendium fusion and see where Lahmu shows up. Which I'm obviously not going to do that.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
One of the more baffling choices in SMT V is why they didn't just bring back fusion search from SMT IV. Big step backwards for no good reason.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

One of the more baffling choices in SMT V is why they didn't just bring back fusion search from SMT IV. Big step backwards for no good reason.

If I had to guess it's because there's 1/3 the demons so it would've made it more obvious how few there was

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I wouldn't have minded the fewer demons if they knew to spread the skills and element types around with some kind of strategy.

They put a lot of polish on it visually but i'm increasingly -meh- about the experience the longer out i've been with it and after replaying Nocturne.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I wish I were able to unlock more skills slots sooner, I want to fuse all the demons but I keep having to throw away a lot of good skills. And I have a hard time deciding what to give my Nahobino.

Also there’s one particular type of demon that’s Magatsuhi special put max debuffs on the enemies and every difficult boss strategy includes having one of them to use that then another to keep the debuffs up. Is that going to be a strategy for the entirety of the game?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I never used that skill so not it doesn't have to be

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I used the debuff-all a few times, but I didn't have enough of the magatsuhi generation skills to make good use of it until way later, so it'd expire and I'd get smacked hard. Usually used crit (which is boring) or regen. Later the XP multiplier for the 99 grind.

The lack of a skill search sucks, but you can just respec your demons' skills the same way as Binobro's, though not affinities, with the essences. Just been assuming that's why you can't search and the fusion history is gone.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Ulio posted:

I am like 20 hours in just fought the Loup Garou mini boss. Howlongtobeat shows 47 hours to complete, I am guessing as usual their time is understated. I am exploring as much as I can and trying to get all the essences. The ost of this game is brilliant, it's so distinct from Persona but still as good imo.

I finished my first run at 104 hours and didn't even do everything

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Furiously grinding my demons so they learn all their abilities which I can save into the compendium JUST IN CASE!

Even though I inevitably forget to save them to the compendium…

Do people generally get enough Glory to get all of the miracles (that you’ve unlocked) in one run or is that a NG+ type of thing?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Andrigaar posted:

The lack of a skill search sucks, but you can just respec your demons' skills the same way as Binobro's, though not affinities, with the essences. Just been assuming that's why you can't search and the fusion history is gone.

Just realized this is why the "Show me a demon that knows this skill" quests are gone since essences mean you could just use one of those to immediately complete it instead of having to plan out how to fuse a skill up like in the previous games.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Do people generally get enough Glory to get all of the miracles (that you’ve unlocked) in one run or is that a NG+ type of thing?

It's hard to say because certain things like the Fiend/Mitama DLC greatly increase the amount of glory you get, and even without those you can still hunt down the glory Mitamas in the guaranteed spawn locations. But between the Miman, the crystals, and the random glory Mitamas you'll find from checking navigation spots, you probably have enough glory to get all the important miracles as long as you don't want to max out all the skill potentials on the MC.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Furiously grinding my demons so they learn all their abilities which I can save into the compendium JUST IN CASE!

I definitely had enough as a strength build to get everything I wanted (phys/almighty). Not sure how it works for magic builds, I’m assuming you could max out a few of the elements but prob not every single one.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I'm at the end of my first NG+ run trying to fuse my way to a win against the superboss, so I will say that fusing demons 5+ levels above their base usually means the new one gets their 2-3 skills immediately with that miracle. Been using grimoires to get the last level if needed. Far as I can tell new fuses enter the compendium AFTER the miracle levels them up and buffs their stats. So your grind won't be wasted... if you remember to register them :eng101:

And not even close on the latter. I still had around 4200 glory worth of miracles to buy in NG+, most of them being the elemental/support buffs on the fourth page. I also maxed Phys/Almighty in my first run, which were extremely expensive. But, I really did have ~4000 more to spend on the rest (only had fire+1 and dark+1 from my first run).

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Cleretic posted:

This is because demons of Dark-alligned races (Drake, Tyrant, etc...) can only fuse into other Dark-alligned races, which restricts the fusion results, which already get more restrictive in higher levels so it's usual to drag demons of those races.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's hard to say because certain things like the Fiend/Mitama DLC greatly increase the amount of glory you get, and even without those you can still hunt down the glory Mitamas in the guaranteed spawn locations. But between the Miman, the crystals, and the random glory Mitamas you'll find from checking navigation spots, you probably have enough glory to get all the important miracles as long as you don't want to max out all the skill potentials on the MC.

I have all the DLC, I had the Mitama stuff disabled since I tend to grind to the point of making the game no longer fun. I might turn the glory Mitama on, though, and just… try to restrain myself.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
:sigh:

Got my squad of 99s with big stat numbers and various staggered resistances still getting trounced by crit/pierce chains against That One Fight. At this point I'm just going to NG++ and use the story-earned macca on lap 3 (fast-forwarding the story the entire time) to get my compendium to 95%+ instead of roll the dice of dying with the boss at what looks like 33% remaining HP or maybe 80% left.

RNGesus is cruel.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

It's weird in some areas of the game there are so many savepoints then others you go by for so long until finding the next one. I have been wiped so many times with random unlucky crits when I am running low on resources. Probably have lost few hours of progress. That being said I guess its my own fault since you can just return to the last checkpoint, although in some areas it's hard to avoid the enemies so it sucks to rerun the whole dungeon.

The one thing I don't like about the game is that the areas are not distinct enough graphically, all the buildings, roads look the same. I like that it's not linear like P5 dungeons but you can get lost or forget which areas you have visited, thankfully the map is pretty good.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Finally, I've managed to beat SMTV. I went with the neutral ending less because I agreed with it, and mire because I respected that they actually did it. I've always wanted to see what happens if they tried to introduce a 'Dark Neutral', try to have a presence that's aligned with the principles of Neutral but is also a bad guy, and hell yeah, they did it!

I'll loop back for the Super Special Ending another time; I got laid out flat in one turn by Shiva this time, soI figured I'd do better to save that for another playthrough.

For all my problems with SMTV, I still adore it, it does a lot more right than it does wrong and even its failings are usually at least interesting. It sure as hell doesn't fail in ways I've seen before.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Finally got the true ending. Went the uncouth method of making my team L99 with tons of balms/incense/sutras on an NG++ run. Dunno why, but I still like the story after all these loops. Even with the cliche exaggerated mocap that I usually find distracting.

I think the compendium was 96% when I looked before the final fight, and all that's left is the Order ending. Which, skipping all of the sidequests, should only be a handful of hours. But I also could watch the last one on Youtube and be fine with it...

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

SMTIV's cast has gotta be the most redpilled in Videogame history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Man the areas in this game are huge and there is so much poo poo to do. Collect all the mimans, find essences, few sidequest, register demons. Been in Shinagawa for like what must be 4 hours now and got wiped few times as well.

There is miman on top of a cliff near the Fairy village, no idea how to get that poo poo.