Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

That's it! Thank you. That was fast too.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

A children's book of short stories that I had in the '90s - think something like Stephen King's Night Shift except not scary, and all the stories were interrelated and involved a matronly character, Mrs. ___________.

Mrs. ___________ was something like a cross between an (American) Mary Poppins and Mary Worth. In each of the stories, a member of a family would have a certain problem, like talking too much, and she would be summoned to fix the issue. If I remember correctly, her solution usually involved something like adding magical ingredients to a person's food to force them to go to one extreme to the other. In other words, if a person talked too much the magic ingredient would give them laryngitis for a certain amount of time so that they couldn't talk at all.

There were three or four stories like this in my book, and it seems like it may have been part of a series. But I've long since lost track of the book and I'm wondering if anyone else remembers it.

Mrs Piggle Wiggle? edit: gently caress, beaten

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hi!

Trying to find a novel series I once borrowed from a friend I no longer have.

It is a fantasy setting. It begins with a wizard creating a boy from flames, then raising it to be a wizard. The wizard performs spells of warding by touching doors/windows thrice. Darkness is trying to enter.

The kid does something dumb, wizard is killed, boy wanders off to mundane kingdom. The country has a catholic church analogue; they keep accidentally opening up the kingdom to darkness.

The kingdom was previously at war with a country to the north, which is mysterious and sylvan. I believe there's another country that sucks, too?

Anyhow it's a lot of political intrigue and ritual magic and subtle dark forces, and I wanna read it again.

Help?

Edit: THE MOMENT I ASK

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fortress_Series

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 22, 2021

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

There's a book I read back in the mid-90s (around the time 3 Ninjas was popular, I think) that may have been a movie adaptation. The only clear memory I have is that the protagonist's kid brother (who I think got kidnapped) had a habit of covering his teddy bear's eyes when things get scary because "if the teddy bear can't see, then nobody can see the teddy bear".

This crops up in my head every couple of years and drives me mad.

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

I read a book as an assignment in the sixth grade? Seventh grade? Somewhere around there. Anyway, it's set during the Greet Depression. The protagonists are two kids of indeterminate age or gender. And they run away to join the circus. That is the sum total that I remember.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

dustin.h posted:

I read a book as an assignment in the sixth grade? Seventh grade? Somewhere around there. Anyway, it's set during the Greet Depression. The protagonists are two kids of indeterminate age or gender. And they run away to join the circus. That is the sum total that I remember.

Is it No Promises in the Wind?

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

Maybe. The title rings no bells, but the Wikipedia synopsis sounds familiar. I'd have to read it again to be sure.

I remember our teachers reading sections of it aloud, and I don't know where she was from, but she always said "creek" as "crick" and the entire classroom would burst into laughter. That and "horny hands", that became a catchphrase.

Edit::
Although, come to think of it, that might have been Tuck Everlasting. God, I hate that book.

Ortho fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Dec 30, 2021

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

There's a really specific kid's book series I've been looking for that was connected to some kind of grammar lesson set. The series rotated around a brother and a sister living in a quasi-museum house. The items on display, if touched, could teleport the kids back in time to various historical events. I think the first book involved Paul Revere and I remember the book having a green cover. Most searches end up turning up some Rush Limbaugh thing instead so far.

A friend of mine was also looking for a separate short story. It focused on an ice skating or figure skating team who became aggressively determined to improve their skating talents no matter the cost. She remembers it being in a high school literature textbook and involving deep, horrific body horror.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
First one might be the Magic Tree House series?

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Nerdietalk posted:

There's a really specific kid's book series I've been looking for that was connected to some kind of grammar lesson set. The series rotated around a brother and a sister living in a quasi-museum house. The items on display, if touched, could teleport the kids back in time to various historical events. I think the first book involved Paul Revere and I remember the book having a green cover. Most searches end up turning up some Rush Limbaugh thing instead so far.

This reminds me of The PBS show Xavier Riddle and the secret museum. Which is based on a series of books but the books don't carry the same framing device of the museum and time travel. And I don't think they had the grammar tie in either. And they're more biography rather than historic event
So probably not it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

yaffle posted:

First one might be the Magic Tree House series?

It's definitely not Magic Tree House; that has a treehouse full of books rather than a museum, they time travel by reading books rather than touching artifacts, none of the books are about Paul Revere, and they're meant to be history lessons, not grammar.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Okay - this one sucks because I have no idea how it ends and it's haunted me for years and I can't remember the name or title.

Published sometime after 1995 and before 2010, I think.

It takes place in the Midwest in the 60's or 70's and is told as a memoir even though it's fiction. It's about a family in a rural town made up of a stoic Stienbeck-esque dad, no mom, our narrator who is about 10 and has bad asthma, his sister who is a year or two younger and writes epic poems about cowboys, and the teenage brother.

The teen brother gets into some kind of illegal stuff and gets sent to jail. He breaks out, steals a horse, and treks off to hide somewhere that only the family knows the location of. The rest of the book is a road trip to find the brother before the police do. At the same time the sister is writing her epic cowboy poem and we're getting snippits as they go, and it's legitimately good.

It's a surprisingly relaxing book despite the tense subject matter. There was some annoying anti-atheism ranting from the main character but he's ten and his grasp on faith is shallow at best, so it adds to his naivete.

Any ideas?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Mr.Chill posted:

Okay - this one sucks because I have no idea how it ends and it's haunted me for years and I can't remember the name or title.

Published sometime after 1995 and before 2010, I think.

It takes place in the Midwest in the 60's or 70's and is told as a memoir even though it's fiction. It's about a family in a rural town made up of a stoic Stienbeck-esque dad, no mom, our narrator who is about 10 and has bad asthma, his sister who is a year or two younger and writes epic poems about cowboys, and the teenage brother.

The teen brother gets into some kind of illegal stuff and gets sent to jail. He breaks out, steals a horse, and treks off to hide somewhere that only the family knows the location of. The rest of the book is a road trip to find the brother before the police do. At the same time the sister is writing her epic cowboy poem and we're getting snippits as they go, and it's legitimately good.

It's a surprisingly relaxing book despite the tense subject matter. There was some annoying anti-atheism ranting from the main character but he's ten and his grasp on faith is shallow at best, so it adds to his naivete.

Any ideas?

Peace like a river by Leif Enger?

yaffle fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 10, 2022

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

yaffle posted:

Peace like a river by Leif Enter?

That's it!!!
Wow, you're good!

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
This was a book I read in high school in the mid-2000s but I think it was much older. It was about two sisters, one pretty and blonde, the other was the narrator and was smart and studious. The blonde sister got sick, I remember a particular description of the narrator waking up in the night and looking over at the sister's bed to see something moving on it - it was blood streaming from the sister's nose. She died by the end of the book.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I had a therapist/counselor who read an excerpt from a book (some sort of self help/cbt book) and now I'm trying to track down the book.

It was a very outlandish example of catastrophic thinking. Something like a woman woke up late and her catastrophic thinking was that she was going to miss the train for work and her husband would divorce her and she'd lose everything so she might as well jump in front of the train

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’s not this, but it put me in mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDRdGEJMu0s

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
This one was a not-very-good medical drama from the 80s‐ish with a fantasy twist. Kind of felt like a Robin Cook novel, but not one of his from what I could see. Set in America, probably a US author.

A (young, idealistic?) protagonist doctor is volunteering at a free health clinic when a hobo dies. As he dies he grabs the doctor who feels a weird electric shock from him. The hobo appears to have died from a long history of alcohol or drug abuse.

The next day, at about the same time, the doctor is doing a routine exam on a patient at a hosptial. He feels the same kind of shock, which the patient complains about, but then says hey doc, whatever you did fixed my backj completely.

After a bit of plot to-and-fro, the doctor works out that for an hour each day, ​he can cure people of anything by touching them. Initially he can't predict when it happens, and gets suspended from the hospital for trying to demonstrate his power to the board, and failing. Eventually he ties his "hour of power" to the time of the local high tide. As he he heals more people, his own health starts to suffer. He gets pursued by crowds of people wanting him to heal them.

There's a rich lady with young autistic(?) child as part of the plot, and the final act has him cure the child but give himself some kind of stroke in the process. The epilogue has the child wandering in the garden bringing a dead bird(?) back to life.

Not a good story or anything, but I was reminded of it the other day and wonder if anybody recognizes it.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Hobnob posted:

This one was a not-very-good medical drama from the 80s‐ish with a fantasy twist. Kind of felt like a Robin Cook novel, but not one of his from what I could see. Set in America, probably a US author.

A (young, idealistic?) protagonist doctor is volunteering at a free health clinic when a hobo dies. As he dies he grabs the doctor who feels a weird electric shock from him. The hobo appears to have died from a long history of alcohol or drug abuse.

The next day, at about the same time, the doctor is doing a routine exam on a patient at a hosptial. He feels the same kind of shock, which the patient complains about, but then says hey doc, whatever you did fixed my backj completely.

After a bit of plot to-and-fro, the doctor works out that for an hour each day, ​he can cure people of anything by touching them. Initially he can't predict when it happens, and gets suspended from the hospital for trying to demonstrate his power to the board, and failing. Eventually he ties his "hour of power" to the time of the local high tide. As he he heals more people, his own health starts to suffer. He gets pursued by crowds of people wanting him to heal them.

There's a rich lady with young autistic(?) child as part of the plot, and the final act has him cure the child but give himself some kind of stroke in the process. The epilogue has the child wandering in the garden bringing a dead bird(?) back to life.

Not a good story or anything, but I was reminded of it the other day and wonder if anybody recognizes it.

The Touch by Francis Paul Wilson.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Lot 49 posted:

The Touch by Francis Paul Wilson.

That's it! The description on Amazon matches, and has some other detail that confirms it. Thank you!

Huh. Not only is the book part of a series, I've read one of the other books in the series (The Keep) that doesn't seem to relate to it at all. What the hell.

Hobnob fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 21, 2022

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

sounds like a Dark Tower kinda deal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adversary_Cycle

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Looking for a book I read as a kid (New York, late 90s/early 2000s) but it was definitely an old book already.

I'm pretty sure it had a dark red cover.

It was about a boy who did a series of trades to get something he wanted (or maybe it was for someone else?)

The only item I can remember he traded was a stamp collection.

Edit: it was The Seventeenth Swap by Eloise McGraw

AnonymousNarcotics fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 26, 2022

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Me and My Little Brain, book 3 or 4 of The Great Brain series

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I read a book like a decade ago. I don't remember the name or the author. But it was sci fi. I'm hoping someone here recognizes it and can remember the name or author.

But the premise of the story is that there is some big evil space ship/fleet that gets destroyed, shredded, and then contained in a big "prison" and yeeted away. over a long period of time it travels through the universe, and eventually becomes a planet. Humans find it, and turn it into a kind of long term cruise planet. And humans are engineered and last thousands of years now. Then some group of the people running the place end up going into the core, and are trapped, and have to create a whole new human civilization to escape.

Other rando details I remember is that there's a class of people living on the skin who are all mutated. Also the captain is a large lady who is like 10 feet tall because of all the hardware that gets installed in her. And the engine rocket bells are the size of moons. The technology to escape the core is some kind of liquid that turns into something crazy hard. The folks in the planet core have to eat some kind of plant to suppress their contraceptive devices (and I don't know why there are things growing in the core).

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
Possibly Robert Reed's Marrow? It has a similar theme, though I don't remember if those exact details match. Also I believe it is part of a series, so one of the other books might be the one.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hobnob posted:

Possibly Robert Reed's Marrow? It has a similar theme, though I don't remember if those exact details match. Also I believe it is part of a series, so one of the other books might be the one.

Yup, that's it. Thank you.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

eating only apples posted:

This was a book I read in high school in the mid-2000s but I think it was much older. It was about two sisters, one pretty and blonde, the other was the narrator and was smart and studious. The blonde sister got sick, I remember a particular description of the narrator waking up in the night and looking over at the sister's bed to see something moving on it - it was blood streaming from the sister's nose. She died by the end of the book.

This was A Summer to Die by Lois Lowry, if anyone was interested

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

As usual I'm looking for a BBC Radio Drama, but they are often based on books so I thought this might be a good place to ask: the story I'm looking for involves a woman walking along a beach and finding a body on some rocks with no tracks leading away. A man stops and they discuss what to do and he decides to walk to the nearest town and call the police, however when he doesn't return she goes and finds that he never actually went. Towards the end we discover that the murderer did not leave tracks because he was in the water on the other side of the rocks hiding.

That's as much as I remember. Does it ring a bell?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Professor Shark posted:

As usual I'm looking for a BBC Radio Drama, but they are often based on books so I thought this might be a good place to ask: the story I'm looking for involves a woman walking along a beach and finding a body on some rocks with no tracks leading away. A man stops and they discuss what to do and he decides to walk to the nearest town and call the police, however when he doesn't return she goes and finds that he never actually went. Towards the end we discover that the murderer did not leave tracks because he was in the water on the other side of the rocks hiding.

That's as much as I remember. Does it ring a bell?

There's a Lord Peter Wimsey story with that as the setup, I saw a TV version recently. I'll have a poke around for the title.

E: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_His_Carcase?

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 28, 2022

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Unkempt posted:

There's a Lord Peter Wimsey story with that as the setup, I saw a TV version recently. I'll have a poke around for the title.

E: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_His_Carcase?

That is it- thanks!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Follow up here, but I looked into it and was saddened to see that Ian Carmichael (who played Wimsey in quite a few BBC adaptations) died in 2010. His IMDB photo is great, however, and how I would like to be remembered: drinking from a decanter of Scotch in a bathtub

GrayGriffin
Apr 30, 2017
I read this short online story once that was written in the format of a report/article, that slowly turned out to be about the aftermath of a self-driving car running over a little girl instead of hitting an endangered bird. I remember it being a fairly quick read, don't remember if it was part of an online magazine or a personal page or what though.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

GrayGriffin posted:

I read this short online story once that was written in the format of a report/article, that slowly turned out to be about the aftermath of a self-driving car running over a little girl instead of hitting an endangered bird. I remember it being a fairly quick read, don't remember if it was part of an online magazine or a personal page or what though.

STET by Sarah Gailey

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Wow she really has it in for birds :mad:

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
So, I have a friend looking for a book he read in middle school (he’s like 20 so it wasn’t that long ago). The only thing that he remembers from it, besides the fact that it was fiction, is that the main character has a flashback where their sibling passed away in their sleep due to blood sugar imbalance from diabetes, possibly from the sibling not eating. It may or may not have “Bird” in some shape or form in the title.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Mystery novel where an android is a private eye. Sort of a 50s noir feel to it. Cover had the androids face on it in shadow kind of. I think it had the word robot or android in the title. Thanks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Penny Arcade’s Automata?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

oldpainless posted:

Mystery novel where an android is a private eye. Sort of a 50s noir feel to it. Cover had the androids face on it in shadow kind of. I think it had the word robot or android in the title. Thanks.

The Caves of Steel, by Isaac Asimov?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I found the exact words google needed to identify it and it is