Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yep, that’s the one. Typically served in a small pot right out of the oven, as an entree.

There are even special, uh, juliennettes?

In more modern eateries they often cook and serve them in metal ones like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Paladinus posted:

If we're talking baked chicken with mushrooms and cheese, it's definitely a thing in Russia, Belarus, and Ukraine.

Hmm. I don't recognize the name or the dish (though I think my mom isn't into mushrooms). I am from Odessa; Slava is from Moldova (Transnistria, even, he is a refugee from that war, IIRC), so maybe that's more of a northern thing?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Hm this does’t look familiar. There’s a strong demarcation on the Polish-Ukrainian border, where, when you go east, “things served in the vessel they were baked in” territory starts.

No, bigos doesn’t count.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OddObserver posted:

Hmm. I don't recognize the name or the dish (though I think my mom isn't into mushrooms). I am from Odessa; Slava is from Moldova (Transnistria, even, he is a refugee from that war, IIRC), so maybe that's more of a northern thing?

I had one in Kyiv in a regular food court. It's definitely a Russian/Soviet thing that was popularised in other Soviet countries, so might be less popular in some regions.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

There are even special, uh, juliennettes?

In more modern eateries they often cook and serve them in metal ones like this.

Those are what I mean, yeah, sorry. Actual ceramic pot julienne is something I’ve had maybe once.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

only the military borsch ration topic things are not looking good

https://twitter.com/kofmanmichael/status/1490020362477834243?s=21

analysts have said these are what the final preparations will look like, if there will be an escalation, it is going to happen soon.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
A single Western media outlet makes a common mistake: what is wrong with the West?! Can't they see this escalates this extremely tense situation?? :qq:

Russia amasses troops on the border over the period of several months and makes unreasonable demands: Why, this is just a state exercising its right to reposition its forces within its own borders! Nothing worth making GBS threads your pants over :smug:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah a couple of weeks ago I saw a tweet that I thought was pretty pertinent - that commentary has been pretty consistently split between policy wonks saying "this is posturing for negotiations, it's be okay" and military wonks saying "no this looks like the real deal and Russia has at no point stopped going through the series of steps you need to go through to finish mobilising".

Still time for either side to be right, but moving from deployment to staging areas is something you only do as a military measure

See: https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1489972005483028488

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 5, 2022

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Putin just wants some respect, that's why he's ordered 3/5ths of Russia's total estimated ground/air forces into forward positions all around Ukraine.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Conspiratiorist posted:

Putin just wants some respect, that's why he's ordered 3/5ths of Russia's total estimated ground/air forces into forward positions all around Ukraine.

Please, it's Mister Putin.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

FishBulbia posted:

only the military borsch ration topic things are not looking good

https://twitter.com/kofmanmichael/status/1490020362477834243?s=21

analysts have said these are what the final preparations will look like, if there will be an escalation, it is going to happen soon.

The coincidences with other advisors, the thinking is that an invasion will happen around the mid-late of February.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

USAF E-8 JSTARS (Joint Strike Target Attack Radar System) on task over Ukraine at 00:53 local

Not a normal occurance by any means

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

Do you have any source for the current staged forces being 3/5th of Russia’s total forces? Not doubting you, just curious to read more about it.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

dominoeffect posted:

Do you have any source for the current staged forces being 3/5th of Russia’s total forces? Not doubting you, just curious to read more about it.

It was a consensus estimate - you never heard of the 3/5 compromise in the Slav states?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

dominoeffect posted:

Sorry, I'm drinking straight from the tap so I don't have much in the way of comprehensive analyses.

Fox News' Jen Griffin (I know) did report 83 BTGs + 14 in transit yesterday, but over on my side the count is up to 102 BTGs with sporadic new sightings (plus whatever the ships en route are carrying), leading to an estimated 105~110 BTG intended total. This is on the heavier side of half the BTG potential of the entire Russian military, which depending on who you ask and when is roughly 200.

Here's an acquaintance's self-made force concentration map:

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 5, 2022

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I don't see anyway how Ukraine or their current government survives an invasion. There's no way they can beat that and even an insurgency is a long stretch.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Though technically they have concentrated the capability to seize everything east of the Dnieper, I don't believe they will go for a massive long-term occupation much less attempt at annexation.

That said, at the absolute minimum Ukraine's current military forces will be completely crushed as a matter of course, and whatever ceasefire agreement Russia compels out of the Zelensky administration is going to politically destroy them, yes.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Wouldn't Russia simply seek to grab rebel regions in Ukraine like the Donbass? Annex the eastern half of the country and leave the west. What else does Russia want?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I don't see anyway how Ukraine or their current government survives an invasion. There's no way they can beat that and even an insurgency is a long stretch.

It has never been a question of Russia’s capabilities, except for maybe the extreme scenario of occupying the entire country - it’s that of Putin’s willingness and ability you pay the associated political, economical, and military costs.

quarantinethepast posted:

Wouldn't Russia simply seek to grab rebel regions in Ukraine like the Donbass? Annex the eastern half of the country and leave the west. What else does Russia want?

Annexing regions they have unofficially annexed already is not all that worthwhile. The smallest possible target that they likely can only achieve by military means is a land connection to Crimea, since the Kerch strait bridge is a stopgap measure at best.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 5, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

This is already the case de facto. Who is going to recognise such reimagining of Russo-Ukrainian border when they still haven't recognised the previous annexation of Ukrainian turf? Doing so would result in even deeper economic rift with the west, what would Putin gain from it?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It has never been a question of Russia’s capabilities, except for maybe the extreme scenario of occupying the entire country - it’s that of Putin’s willingness and ability you pay the associated political, economical, and military costs.

Agreed. At this point I wonder if he's going to try to take Eastern Ukraine or some kind of Desert Fox scenario and disable their military. A full occupation seems dumb, risky, etc.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
And why is Putin always doing these aggressions during Olympics? Georgia in summer 2008, Crimea in winter 2014, now in winter 2022. Coincidence?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

There’s a fresh FT article with more American opinions on potential plans. TLDR: Milley and Haines say there are 60-83 BTGs at the border, with 14 more on their way already. Between 1200 and 2100 special forces troops. Total of >100k troops, yet 70% of what they estimate as necessary for “full-scale invasion with assault on Kyiv”. Furthermore, they say Russia plans to move the autumn strategic forces exercises to mid-February, and that the optimal time window for an attack is from mid-February until late March.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

And why is Putin always doing these aggressions during Olympics? Georgia in summer 2008, Crimea in winter 2014, now in winter 2022. Coincidence?

Coincidence.

But gets a grim chuckle out of me when policy wonks cite his current presence in the olympics as a reason why things are most certainly not about to pop off.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Russia doesn't actually want to annex anymore of Ukraine, they want a neutral/puppet Ukraine. Their goal is regime change.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Rust Martialis posted:

It was a consensus estimate - you never heard of the 3/5 compromise in the Slav states?

:golfclap: well done

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Maybe the Russians will rush into Kiev, force Zelensky out and put Yanokovitch back in power? Or is that an incredibly silly theory. I mean they could say he's the "legitimate" president of Ukraine since he was elected after all but was forced out.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I feel there are far less divisive candidates currently in Ukraine. Yanukovych did piss literally everyone off.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I can't think of any rulers that successfully came back to power after being ousted in a popular revolution, whether peaceful or violent. I don't think Yanukovich will somehow change that

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yanukovich was decisively denounced by his own party.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

There has to be some dude in Ukraine who’s willing to be Putin’s puppet and have a fig leaf of some popularity. Why would they pick Yanukovych if there’s a forced regime change

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

There has to be some dude in Ukraine who’s willing to be Putin’s puppet and have a fig leaf of some popularity. Why would they pick Yanukovych if there’s a forced regime change

I'll do it.

(then stab Putin in the back and join nato, don't tell him that)

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/JacquiHeinrich/status/1490105106066513922

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

As in when the invasion starts it will be over within 3 days? Or this is going to happen in three days?
Edit: Read end of thread. Good to know the US is gearing up for a refugee crisis pre-emptively.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

HonorableTB posted:

I can't think of any rulers that successfully came back to power after being ousted in a popular revolution, whether peaceful or violent. I don't think Yanukovich will somehow change that

i mean, the bourbon restoration lasted 16 years. that's not nothing

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i mean, the bourbon restoration lasted 16 years. that's not nothing

I admit I didn't have 19th century France in mind when making that post, touche

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

The US can't just sit back and let an invasion happen, especially after Afghanistan. That'll give everyone in NATO cold feet.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

72 hours is... fast. still digesting but jesus.

It's good to know they're planning for a migrant crisis but I cannot even begin to fathom how bad it would prove to be.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I imagine that if said invasion comes to pass, we may see a fracturing of NATO as Eastern European countries realize they're on their own, and subsequently an increase in nationalism and military spending. Imagine the hard right turn in Poland but everywhere in Eastern Europe.

A shattered American hegemony may look like something to celebrate for some but short term it's chaos and tension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

For those of us that aren't well versed in recent Polish politics, what's a quick summary of that?