Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

zedprime posted:

an exhausting factorization exercise

It works in so many ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
TIL that if you have problems with pilers not piling consistently because the belt isn't packed tight, you can solve that by putting a mk3 sorter along the belt against the direction of the flow. It'll collect and pack six items at a time for you with full research. :science:

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

TIL about a very useful slider on the Advanced Mining Machine that was hiding in plain sight

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Does raising the gathering speed increase the miner's power draw?

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Does raising the gathering speed increase the miner's power draw?

i can't check right now but IIRC it was drawing around 10 times the power (20 something MW)

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
yeah I just plonk em all down at 300% because power is basically free once you're mass using advanced miners.

My power usage went from mass solar on the poles to using swarm + ray receiver, to fusion powre plants, and finally mass artificial stars. For remote power I started out using energy exchangers, but quickly moved to just shipping around antimatter and putting down artifical start everwhere.

With advanced miners and a steady supply of antimatter you can claim the resources of a planet in a couple of minutes! Love it.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Getting power from the titular sphere seems to be kinda underwhelming; even using ray receivers with fully proliferated green lenses I'm getting 60-75MW per building (with some ray efficiency research). At this rate each factory planet is gonna need like a quarter of the surface to get power lol.

I think the artifical suns are more space efficient but drat it, I want to power everything from the sphere directly.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

You might think "this planet has literal sulfuric acid for its oceans, what are you going to do to pollute it further?"

I took the entirety of both termperate zones (the first one going north or south from the equator where grid-crush happens), and turned them into ingot factories. The blueprint for it literally rings the entire planet at that lattitude and I built it on both the north and south zones :twisted:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Yeah iirc artificial suns are where the real power production of a sphere comes from. Which felt like a bit of a let down, I agree. After going to all the trouble to build the drat thing you still have to jump through more hoops to really harness it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Less Fat Luke posted:

Getting power from the titular sphere seems to be kinda underwhelming; even using ray receivers with fully proliferated green lenses I'm getting 60-75MW per building (with some ray efficiency research). At this rate each factory planet is gonna need like a quarter of the surface to get power lol.

I think the artifical suns are more space efficient but drat it, I want to power everything from the sphere directly.

Artifical Suns are definitely where the power is. Each ray receiver sucks down more power and you get the antimatter you use for science and power. Proliferated antimatter is even more space efficient: it doesn't produce extra power it produces power/burns extra fast so you need less suns.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I really, really want cosmetic pollution effects. I’m scooping boatloads of hydrogen out of gas giants and bringing it back to burn for power, eventually there’s going to be some kind of smog!

My home system’s forge world is now running on 800 thermal plants, usually between 50% and 70% load.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

I'm in a race against the last 330k silicon in my home system. I just got the warper tech researched and went to build a particle collider, only to discover my iron production is out and needs another couple patches tapped.

Hopefully nothing else goes out soon and I can just get my warpers up and running. I don't want to have to set up bulk stone->silicon ore just to get to the next phase. I also learned a lot about what spaghetti still looks like with ILS/PLS, so I want to just set up an ILS somewhere from scratch

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Running short of silicon isn't the worst: start crunching stone down. It's expensive but you'll likely have a lot of stone in your starter system and it's temporary since you'll soon get access to out-system silicon veins.

Though if you're at 330K and have graviton lenses/warp fuel researched you'll likely be okay since none of that besides the plating to make your particle colliders require silicon.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Pilerchat: I’ve been making heavy use of pilers once I figured out which loving direction they work in, since even blue belts have a throughput limit that is often exceeded on the input side. Since you can triple stack a belt now, your ore source (either an advanced miner directly, or a logi tower) can have 9 output belts running into first stage pilers, which then get merged into three belts running into second stage pilers, which then merge into a single triple stacked blue belt to feed the gaping maw of your iron/copper smelter. It also simplifies spray logistics, since now you only need to spray a single input and a single output, which can be conveniently placed next to each other.

It’s also very useful to pile output since you can get a single blue input belt to output three full blue belts at the splitter deep inside your catastrophic spaghetti monstrosity. Also, I frequently pile output belts to ensure the last few machines can output during full-rate production, even if it means I have a non-saturated belt. (Total throughput is still higher than it would be otherwise.)

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Finley got to new miners, and setting up a world to produce green motors like a champ was a snap.

What is the transfer speed of using belts into a tower vs the towers full compliment of drones

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Roundboy posted:

Finley got to new miners, and setting up a world to produce green motors like a champ was a snap.

What is the transfer speed of using belts into a tower vs the towers full compliment of drones

I haven’t gotten into the math of it, but even with just the blue/red/yellow/purple/green science upgrades to drones (no white science yet) I can’t get nine belts to empty one faster than it can be filled by drones/logi ships.

You CAN outstrip the advanced miner, even set to 300% speed, so you’re probably better served with multiple miners and a centralized logi tower.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Without white science:

The drones have 10,000 items/botload, same with the vessels. A botload being every bot using its complete capacity once.

Fully stacked blue belts into a tower caps at 1440 items/second, so you need either the drones/vessels to average ~7 second round trip, double those if you're using both. Unstacked blue belts quadruples those times.

The big problem with this math is that demand towers can also send bots, so the theoretical cap on a tower's throughput is basically limitless.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Some more short ease of use mod reviews:

Smart Ejectors - Nice tweaks to solar sail firing. Only fire when sails can be absorbed, and stop firing automatically once the sphere is done and/or the swarm is at a set capacity.
Overflow Logistics - Fed up with running around and fixing full logistic stations blocking production (lookin at you, oil refineries)? This mod will just evaporate all products that go into towers if it's full and set to remote+local supply. Set one of the two to demand or storage to prevent this from happening. Beware: can really gently caress you over if used in an advanced save, as basically all your assemblers will instantly turn on and never stop, leading to a completely different production for overbuilt assembly lines that relied on full towers to kerb production. Worth the hassle for me though.
Smart Tank - Same as above but for liquid tanks instead of logistic towers.
Planet Vein Utilization - Shows how much veins/clusters of resources are in available/in use on the star map. Really nice to see if you missed a spot.
Compress Save - Compresses your save to speed up autosaving. Can still save without compression by manual saving. Noticibly reduces chugging while autosaving and reduces the total autosave time.
Auto Logidrone setup- automatically puts drones in built stations. Speeds up mass tower blueprinting a ton.

Let's build spheres!!!!!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
There needs to be a level 5 Universe Exploration tech that lets you see exact mineral counts and search for stuff like 'tidal locked.'

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Samopsa posted:

Smart Tank - Same as above but for liquid tanks instead of logistic towers.

I've been using this one, it's such a simple QOL buff, it blows my mind there isn't a toggle for this behavior in vanilla. Makes oil refining super simple. Reminds me of the Factorio mod that adds flare stacks.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Before the most recent update I had problems with any mod I tried which tried to reduce save file size, I am still keeping a rolling set of three saves going now, even without any savegame mods.

I’d suggest anyone trying any do so as well, just as a precaution.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

Alkydere posted:

Running short of silicon isn't the worst: start crunching stone down. It's expensive but you'll likely have a lot of stone in your starter system and it's temporary since you'll soon get access to out-system silicon veins.

Though if you're at 330K and have graviton lenses/warp fuel researched you'll likely be okay since none of that besides the plating to make your particle colliders require silicon.

ended up setting up a couple stone farms on my home planet and shuttling those to the local moon for processing into Ti ore, 6 stone belts into smelters. Then I copy/pasted it to double the ore throughput. I can't imagine playing this game without the copy/paste, drag building, or blueprints; that must have been hell before they added it.

the drag building in this game feels great

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

man in the eyeball hat posted:

I can't imagine playing this game without the copy/paste, drag building, or blueprints; that must have been hell before they added it.

I put it down for two or three months and came back to it the day they added blueprints. Worth it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

My first sphere went up before copy paste.

It was...zen in a way but I never want to do it again.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

man in the eyeball hat posted:

I can't imagine playing this game without the copy/paste, drag building, or blueprints; that must have been hell before they added it.

There was a mod that provided copy/paste for individual buildings.

Alkydere posted:

My first sphere went up before copy paste.

:same:

The game was really playable without it, but good luck doing anything big or crazy.

I'm in the middle of putting together a pair of ridiculous forge worlds. It would 100% be tedious as gently caress without blueprints and I'd never have gone down this road without blueprints. And for that matter without dyson sphere blueprints. After designing a 5 layer sphere I thought I was done with my current playthrough - because holy gently caress designing large spheres with lots of points sucks alot, and I'm only continuing it because I can now copy/paste sphere designs.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 8, 2022

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Game win tech was fairly doable without copy and paste, sort of. I at least found creating small production cells closer to bonzai trimming and the only really onerous task was multi output production because you had to remember to set a filter every time. The latter is partly avoidable with reliance on special raw materials.

Finishing a top to bottom sphere or in depth endless teching needed the copy paste mod desperately.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Well, got the 25h speedrun achievement. Missed it the first time by like 20 minutes due to some blueprint related bugs causing things like broken sorters and belts. I went back a few hours, after having the epiphany that setting up enough sail production to get power for white science would be much easier and faster than going for permanent structure, since the goal was just to research the game win tech in time, not actually start a permanent sphere on time.

Going to fart around in the post game for the first time, maybe try building a real sphere around the nearby blue giant.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I know it's been said a lot already, but sprays are insane. Ridiculous. I started work on a very silly project to see how much I could fit on a single forge world (hint: if you use 100% speed and advanced smelters it's a loving lot - More than you'll ever need except for the most insane dyson sphere printing setups but more on that in a sec). After I got most of the way through this project I was like "okay, let's see what I will need to triple my white science output (60/s) and a full 30/s belt of rockets (I'm making like 7.5/sec currently)." So I punched that into my calculator and accounted for blue spraying everything and... I barely need any of what I set up. A relatively small percentage of it. The savings are that insane when going from final end products all the way back to ingots. So, uhh, I'm now working on increasing my goals - otherwise what are these forge worlds for?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Yeah, it’s an effect similar to compound interest, except nobody posting here will ever get 20% compounding returns IRL

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Not a great example. Even just plain old S&P ETFs broke 20% return in 2017, 2019, and 2021.

Started my first new game for a long time recently and forgot about the power draw of particle accelerators. Plopped down eight of them, hoked up the last power pole, and had to laugh as the entire planet browned out. Lightning bolt icons everywhere.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
20% yearly return is cute compared to 20% return on every transaction, and transaction rate tends toward hundreds or for the dedicated thousands per second.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

launching hundreds of rockets every few seconds and shootin tens of thousands of solar sails into orbit, feels good man

just finishing up this sphere, and then it's on to the next one! Pack up the launchers, smack down some blueprints, and off we go.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

DSP is my favorite of the factory games because in the late game you can directly appreciate the fruits of your work just by looking at the sphere, but also watching all your ships streak between the stars.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

SettingSun posted:

DSP is my favorite of the factory games because in the late game you can directly appreciate the fruits of your work just by looking at the sphere, but also watching all your ships streak between the stars.

I think it's been mentioned a few times in the thread, but it's so interesting how the "natural" planets are so lifeless, but once you pave over all the pesky plants and oceans you can bring the galaxy to life with lil robots scooting about.

They almost should make something below the planetary logistics tower, so you can have Lil cars or trains pooting about on the ground.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SettingSun posted:

My biggest complaint is honestly that when you’re standing on a planet you can’t look up.

:allears:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Not a great example. Even just plain old S&P ETFs broke 20% return in 2017, 2019, and 2021.e.

lol I also like to issue what would be a pedantic correction even if it is was applicable, so everyone in the DSP thread too poor ever to invest in anything will know I am better than them :rolleyes:

SettingSun posted:

Yeah they really hit the nail on the head with the visuals in this game. I don’t need attempts at photo-realism approaching the uncanny valley, I want to be able to start launching rockets on a newly-set-up staging world and then see the night sky fill up with ships delivering ore to forge worlds, ingots to factory worlds, and supplies out to me.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

Raine posted:

according to this, 1AU in the game has been scaled down to 40km

since 1AU = 150,000,000km in real life, the question becomes:

can i multiply the scale of the game by 3,750,000?

i wonder if the engine would be able to handle this, or if my computer would simply turn into molten slag immediately

edit: lol the mod page says you can change the planet size from the vanilla radius of 200 tiles up to 510 tiles. not quite as extreme as i was thinking but i guess a man can dream of true galactic scale

i was thinking about this recently and asked myself: "what would an accurately sized star look like in this game?"

radius of a star in the game: 1.6 km

radius of our sun in real life: ~695,700 km

with the game conversion of 1 AU = 40 km and 60 AU = 1ly...

the diameter of our sun, at 1:1 scale in the game, would be...

ARE YOU FUCKIN READY

579.75 light years across

for a red giant multiply that by 25

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/F0OWM2E.mp4

time to fire up a new sphere

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Grevlek posted:

I think it's been mentioned a few times in the thread, but it's so interesting how the "natural" planets are so lifeless, but once you pave over all the pesky plants and oceans you can bring the galaxy to life with lil robots scooting about.

They almost should make something below the planetary logistics tower, so you can have Lil cars or trains pooting about on the ground.

Nope! Please no. The most tedious part of Factorio is loving about with rail systems and having to suddenly put a transport sim hat on when trying to pave the world, and not having to deal with transport routing on top of conveyer routing is a big part of why I love DSP so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

DSP conveyors are like the size of city blocks anyway, for all intents and purposes your rail grid is your conveyors and every sorter pulling off of them is a freight station.