Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

ArmZ posted:

gently caress if it's the Monaco livery I might have to buy this

I'm hooked already and will buy this anyway, owning all the previous cars (and bikes and construction vehicles), but yeah I need this to have the Monaco livery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

marshalljim posted:

Lewis is enjoying a moment of peaceful solitude after making sweet love to a horny nun. Meanwhile, Max is learning a new way to masturbate?

he's cheating, his knees are too far past his toes

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Rebus posted:

Good post

Thanks rebus

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

GramCracker posted:

all the while wearing that smile. :allears:
And hopefully those pants

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah those were cool rebus and I’ll check out the stuff people sent.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Phwoar are Rebus and Lewis bringing monumental posts on the same day

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

You Am I posted:

Please post this in the OG post in the 2022 thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca5n198EHA0

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

GramCracker posted:

he's cheating, his knees are too far past his toes

You have to let all of the toes past if you’re letting any of them!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Rebus posted:

The tunnel runs to the absolute permitted limit (both by run count and wind on time).

Out of interest: how is this actually controlled? Does the FIA have personal embedded in each factory that basically “works there” 24/7 and checks wind tunnel usage, origin of CAD-design (so no outside design can be brought in to prevent a pink Mercedes) etc.?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Taki Inoue is an international treasure:

https://twitter.com/takiinoue/status/1490087465260134407

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Rebus posted:

You only need a handful of photos really to get the idea of a general shape, ideally from a few angles. Aeros will be able to draw some conclusion on what the intention of the surface is, and can then modify their own CAD to put the idea through CFD. If they're a decent CAD monkey (or have assistance from a surfacer) they'll be able to get a couple of CFD iterations turned around on the same day as seeing the photo.

This (and the rest of your insights) are awesome, thank you so much :unsmith: pretty amazing to hear how quickly it can be turned around!

<Stugotz voice>Lewis Hamilton…is BACK

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

tuo posted:

Out of interest: how is this actually controlled? Does the FIA have personal embedded in each factory that basically “works there” 24/7 and checks wind tunnel usage, origin of CAD-design (so no outside design can be brought in to prevent a pink Mercedes) etc.?
I was wondering how this is enforced as well, especially at teams which are part of a wider company. "Yes, I know the wind tunnel has been running 24/7 through February, but we're testing blue-sky concepts for our road car division that in no way could also be applicable to F1."

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Now I want to know taki's cooking opinions

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

harperdc posted:

<Stugotz voice>Lewis Hamilton…is BACK

They like Max too much over there for some reason

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

tuo posted:

It's reported back to the FIA at the end of each ATR period (approx every 8 weeks). You report the number of runs, how much wind time, wind accel/decel rates, a photo of the state of the tunnel at the start of every run, etc, including anything non F1 related - literally anything you run through the tunnel has to be recorded.
They then audit and pick out anything that might be borderline and do a few spot checks. Any rule breakages have severe consequences (either a fine or reduction in limits for the next period) so as you can imagine teams are super cautious around ensuring everything is correct, especially toward the end of a period where you are at risk of doing one run too many for example.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

marshalljim posted:

Lewis is enjoying a moment of peaceful solitude after making sweet love to a horny nun. Meanwhile, Max is learning a new way to masturbate?

Sorry that's not a new way to masturbate at all, the "half plank double squeezy" is very basic fundamentals. Max needs to step up his game if he wants to be a goat.

He should take advice from his mentor, a man who has masturbated in ways that many had claimed to be impossible

speng31b fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 6, 2022

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Rebus posted:

It's reported back to the FIA at the end of each ATR period (approx every 8 weeks). You report the number of runs, how much wind time, wind accel/decel rates, a photo of the state of the tunnel at the start of every run, etc, including anything non F1 related - literally anything you run through the tunnel has to be recorded.
They then audit and pick out anything that might be borderline and do a few spot checks. Any rule breakages have severe consequences (either a fine or reduction in limits for the next period) so as you can imagine teams are super cautious around ensuring everything is correct, especially toward the end of a period where you are at risk of doing one run too many for example.

Thanks a lot, that’s pretty interesting. So the FIA more or less relies on the teams reporting correctly. I would have thought it’s way stricter, especially with teams who don’t own their own wind tunnel and/or external wind tunnels that are readily available (like Toyota in Cologne etc.).

Also pretty interesting how little data/photos the teams need to reproduce other team’s solutions. I always assumed the pit lane houses like twenty concealed laser scanners per team aimed the the diffusor of the car passing by

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

tuo posted:

Thanks a lot, that’s pretty interesting. So the FIA more or less relies on the teams reporting correctly.

I mean, at a certain point, that’s as much as you can do. But backed up with rules that stipulate massive punishments if you fudge numbers or break those rules. That’s the whole of what auditing really is.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

harperdc posted:

But backed up with rules that stipulate massive punishments

Ferrari though….

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

tuo posted:

Thanks a lot, that’s pretty interesting. So the FIA more or less relies on the teams reporting correctly. I would have thought it’s way stricter, especially with teams who don’t own their own wind tunnel and/or external wind tunnels that are readily available (like Toyota in Cologne etc.).
The regs around parts of it are not very well written and are open to daft amounts of interpretation, but they're happy if you're open and honest about your methodology.

For those using other people's wind tunnels I'd expect all of the ATR reporting to come as part of the service.

quote:

Also pretty interesting how little data/photos the teams need to reproduce other team’s solutions. I always assumed the pit lane houses like twenty concealed laser scanners per team aimed the the diffusor of the car passing by

I wouldn't say reproducing 'solutions' is easy. Reproducing individual pieces of geometry to understand what effect it has, yes that's less complicated.

I think laser scanning and photogrammetry are banned?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Rebus posted:

including anything non F1 related - literally anything you run through the tunnel has to be recorded.

This is wild to me. Even rental Runnels have to be fully reported to make sure no F1 dev went on when it shouldn't? How does that work with private companies that don't want the teams/FIA to see their stuff?

Oh would the tunnel manage reporting like you said above?

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

ilmucche posted:

This is wild to me. Even rental Runnels have to be fully reported to make sure no F1 dev went on when it shouldn't?
Yep exactly this for exactly that reason.

quote:

How does that work with private companies that don't want the teams/FIA to see their stuff?
I've never heard of any issues with it. It's probably somewhere in the terms that as it's a tunnel used for active F1 development we're obliged to capture that kind of information.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Rebus posted:

I think laser scanning and photogrammetry are banned?

Oh, that’s cool that FIA bans this stuff (I usually just read the car regulations and pretend I understand 10% of it, I don’t even know where to get regulations for that stuff).

E: I still maintain my James Bond head canon that the evil teams have a complete underground racetrack they test their cars 24/7 with Dr. Evil sitting at the underground pit wall, and strangely they always look like Red Bull…

tuo fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 6, 2022

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
C'mon, RBR can't even make their own engines. Sad!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
wouldn't you just send Stroll or Marzipan out on one of their track practice days? No one reports or cares about them so you could hide all sorts of shenanigans in plain sight.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

tuo posted:

Oh, that’s cool that FIA bans this stuff (I usually just read the car regulations and pretend I understand 10% of it, I don’t even know where to get regulations for that stuff).

E: I still maintain my James Bond head canon that the evil teams have a complete underground racetrack they test their cars 24/7 with Dr. Evil sitting at the underground pit wall, and strangely they always look like Red Bull…

they only recently banned the laser scanning after the 2020 pink mercs

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Immolat1on posted:

Good posts from Rebus and Lewis ITT

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

tuo posted:

This kind and level of reporting are pretty standard in other highly regulated industries like banking, or certain types of manufacturing (anywhere that has an ISO certification) etc. In my experience you have to take that stuff super seriously because the consequences for not doing so are very strict.

Since we're on the subject of manufacturing; Rebus, given the speed with which teams can turn around parts do you see a use case for the high end of 3D printing (like SLS metal printers, and CF printers)? Does additive manufacturing give you any time savings on prototyping parts vs conventional machining? Or does it give you more freedom in your designs due to the fact that you can 3D print geometries that simply aren't possible with conventional manufacturing techniques?

I've been loving all of your process and manufacturing talk. Thanks for opening up about it.

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

MustardFacial posted:

Since we're on the subject of manufacturing; Rebus, given the speed with which teams can turn around parts do you see a use case for the high end of 3D printing (like SLS metal printers, and CF printers)? Does additive manufacturing give you any time savings on prototyping parts vs conventional machining? Or does it give you more freedom in your designs due to the fact that you can 3D print geometries that simply aren't possible with conventional manufacturing techniques?
Getting outside my area of expertise here, but yes high end 3D printing is commonplace, and the turnaround of newer machines and how many parts they can pack into a single build cycle is super impressive.

quote:

I've been loving all of your process and manufacturing talk. Thanks for opening up about it.
All good buddy. For me the manufacture process is a bit of a black box in that CAD designs leave my department then appear a few days later as built parts, so we've probably hit the limit of what I am comfortable talking about without accidentally giving away too much.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I’m currently re-doing our company’s intranet site and I can do pretty much whatever I want, and somehow all the colors are found on the McLaren car.

Have no idea how that happened, weird.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

tuo posted:

Ferrari though….

2020 is proof they paid for their completely non-specific and never fully admitted to in public crimes. Going from race winners and dark horse championship push to 2020 was punishment enough.

Plus again the limitations now are more fully published and there seems to be greater transparency there, so I’d expect breaches to be treated differently than what Ferrari did and what the punishment was then.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

I had to explain what a "McLaren Launch" is due to a shared calendar slip up. whoops.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

ArmZ posted:

I had to explain what a "McLaren Launch" is due to a shared calendar slip up. whoops.

It's a very important meeting

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
https://racingnews365.com/horner-secures-mercedes-factory-tour-in-charity-auction

Talk about poo poo stirring.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Hope he enjoys his 4k M&S lunch whilst seeing nothing of interest, it's good that a charity benefits from it. :)

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Rebus posted:

All good buddy. For me the manufacture process is a bit of a black box in that CAD designs leave my department then appear a few days later as built parts, so we've probably hit the limit of what I am comfortable talking about without accidentally giving away too much.

Just talking about this stuff in a general sense is pretty fascinating tbh. Even what you've already said about your 3D printing applications is making me wonder if there would be measurable performance advantages to SLS printing the pedal box or even the pedals themselves given that sintered metal is about 75% the density of an equivalent machined part, and therefore lighter. For non-structural components I imagine the weight savings (and the cost savings) would add up fairly quickly. But I'm not an engineer or materials scientist so I don't know how realistic any of that is.

I would love to ask you even some basic aero questions as I know that is more your wheelhouse, but it's probably a much more touchy subject for you and I don't want to put you in that position.

Regardless, thank you for the insight. Shitposting is fun and all but nerding out on little details about the cars and the processes of working in an actual team is so much better.

So excited he can't even spell his name properly.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

Hope he enjoys his 4k M&S lunch whilst seeing nothing of interest, it's good that a charity benefits from it. :)

When I did the Ducati factory tour we got to see the racing department, which was basically we walked by a door and the guide girl went "this is where they make the racing bikes" and then continued through the factory. I imagine that's probably what Horner is going to experience

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
They should create a decoy f1 department just for him to see with all sorts of misleading stuff

That's assuming it's not just some other joker putting down his name

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Just give him a tour of Merc's/Lewis's trophy room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Apparently a blurry photo of the 2022 McLaren F1 Lego set was leaked

Full wets, smh