Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

"copying permanent spells creates a token but doesn't 'create a token'" is really loving with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

kalel posted:

"copying permanent spells creates a token but doesn't 'create a token'" is really loving with me

Because the "create a token" is part of reminder text so anything that triggers on creating a token won't trigger on copying a permanent spell? I'm trying to understand this as well.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Im unsure what it means about theros gods and replacement effects. Is this another opalascence nightmare?

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
The copied spell enters the battlefield as a token, "creating a token" in the sense a human could recognise it. It does not trigger any effect based on "creating a token", as in the exact game action, like Divine Visitation, etc.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

do u believe in marigolds posted:

Because the "create a token" is part of reminder text so anything that triggers on creating a token won't trigger on copying a permanent spell? I'm trying to understand this as well.

I understand why, it's just something I've never thought about, 99% chance it would never have been a relevant thing to know, but makes sense given the way triggers work in magic

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mandatory lesbian posted:

Im unsure what it means about theros gods and replacement effects. Is this another opalascence nightmare?

Just, sorta the general principle that creaturehood based on devotion and replacement effects both apply mid-resolution. There are well over 500 replacement effects so I don't know which in particular it means. Kind of a weakness of the meme format.

Speaking of the Ozolith's text being wrong, I still noticed that Iron Apprentice is also wrong for the same reason, though once again it is entirely pedantic on my part.

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

kalel posted:

I understand why, it's just something I've never thought about, 99% chance it would never have been a relevant thing to know, but makes sense given the way triggers work in magic

It matters for things like the legendary ooze with storm and Doubling Season. I played a commander game where the ooze player didn't realize that was how it worked.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
'Getting a restraining as a win condition' is the one that boggles my mind.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
loadingreadyrun's preprerelease all-day stream starts in a few moments, if you wanna see people play with the cards publicly for the first time:

https://twitch.tv/loadingreadyrun

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I don't get the +1/+1 counters aren't interchangeable statement? Seems like it contradicts this rule.

quote:

122.1. A counter is a marker placed on an object or player that modifies its characteristics and/or interacts with a rule, ability, or effect. Counters are not objects and have no characteristics. Notably, a counter is not a token, and a token is not a counter. Counters with the same name or description are interchangeable.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Strong Sauce posted:

I don't get the +1/+1 counters aren't interchangeable statement? Seems like it contradicts this rule.

There's a reason there text is orange.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

okay.. which is? i'm not an expert on iceberg memes.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Strong Sauce posted:

okay.. which is? i'm not an expert on iceberg memes.

Me either, but it looks like the orange ones are rules that no longer exist like Mana Burn and poly/mono/continuous artifacts.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

"fight spell with first/double strike" deserves to be here. third layer or so

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

Rule 104.3f states "If a player would both win or lose the game simultaneously, he or she loses the game."

quote:

he big story of the Honolulu Pro Tour wasn’t Kazuya Mitamura’s $40,000 victory in the finals. The big story happened in the first round, where a young boy known only as Hans did something that is causing many to call him a hero.

Hans’s game was looking unwinnable. He had a negative life total and was kept alive only by his Platinum Angel. His opponent had just cast a Molder Slug, threatening to remove the Angel — Hans’s only artifact — at the beginning of his next turn.

But when it got to that next turn, Hans would say a word that would put the whole series of events in motion. A word that would send ripples throughout Magic history. A word that would cement Hans’s legendary status.

Hans stared at his opponent and said, “No.”

His opponent was taken aback. “Judge!” said the opponent. “He’s refusing to follow my Molder Slug’s triggered ability.”

“Refusing?”

“Refusing.”

“Is this true, Hans?”

Hans nodded.

The judge said, “I have to issue you a game loss, Hans.”

Hans pointed to his Platinum Angel. “I can’t lose the game,” he said. And with that, he proceeded to his draw step, undaunted by the judge’s ruling. Then he skimmed through his deck for marked cards and put those into his hand as well.

“You’re violating multiple game rules,” said the judge, “in addition to ignoring my ruling, and I am issuing a game loss to you.”

Hans, his finger still stuck to the Platinum Angel, like a modern day Little Dutch Boy with his finger plugging the leak in the dike, said, “You can issue all the game losses you want, but with my Platinum Angel in play, they have no effect.” Hans proceeded to the attack phase and swung for 4 with his Angel. He then looked at his opponent’s face-down morphs, referred to outside notes, and substituted cards from his sideboard.

The judge stood before him, flummoxed. Without saying a word, Hans merely looked at the judge while pointing to the Platinum Angel.

It was when Hans cast a Demonic Attorney that the head judge was called over. “Ante cards are banned,” the head judge said. “That’s a complete violation of the rules.” But when he saw Hans’s Platinum Angel in play, he was quieted. He knew he was defeated.

Hans said, “Since the Demonic Attorney’s in the game, we have to do what it says.” He proceeded to put the top card of his opponent’s deck into his trade binder.

The head judge frowned in disapproval. “He’s right.”

It was a matter of hours before Hans owned his opponent’s entire deck, as well many other cards from his opponent’s collection, thanks to a Mindslaver and Ring of Ma’rûf. Each time judges tried to issue Hans a game loss for casting cards without mana, or playing cards in his graveyard, Hans merely pointed to his Platinum Angel.

The cards Hans didn’t want to take from his opponent he tore up, due to interactions involving Chaos Confetti, March of the Machines, and Cytoshape.

Having by this time gathered quite a crowd, Hans produced a folded and wrinkled copy of the DCI Infraction Procedure Guide from his pocket and began skimming it for ideas. He noticed that kicking an opponent’s chair out from under them was listed under “Unsportsmanlike Conduct,” so he did just that. He also kicked the chairs out from under several other nearby players and spectators.

The sun was starting to set. The judges had not even attempted to give Hans a game loss for stalling. One by one, they had hanged their heads and walked away, resigned to their powerlessness in the face of the Platinum Angel. Then one of them hatched a plan. “I know who we can call,” the judge exclaimed.

The next morning, Hans was woken by a voice blaring across the room from a police loudspeaker. “Hans,” the voice said, “this is your mother. I love you. Please sacrifice your Platinum Angel to the Molder Slug’s triggered ability so this can all end.”

Hans lifted his head, looked around the room, and kicked his opponent’s chair out from under him once more.

“Hans,” his mother said, “we miss you. We just want you to come home.”

Hans yawned, cast the Unglued card Handcuffs, and ordered his opponent to touch his hands together.

It was Day Four of the standoff when another voice blared across the room. “Hans,” the voice said, “this is your fiancé. There are only two more days until our wedding, honey. Don’t you still want to get married? You have to end this game now, Hans. Please just sacrifice the Platinum Angel to the Molder Slug. We love you. We’re worried about you.”

Hans’s mouth hung open, agape. A tear came to his eye. “Marcia,” he said. “I love you too.” He looked about him, seemingly aghast at what he had done. “I…” he paused. “I concede.”

A flurry of applause burst through the room. Judges began high-fiving each other and giving Marcia hugs. “Unfortunately,” Hans said, “the concession has no effect since my Platinum Angel is still in play.”

It was two weeks into the game when the military showed up. “Hans,” came a voice from a helicopter. “We have you surrounded. If you do not concede immediately, we will open fire.”

Hans looked up at the helicopter, over at the tanks, and across the street at the snipers. He was still pointing to the Platinum Angel, as stoically as ever.

To this day, a sleeved Platinum Angel remains embedded in Hans’s tombstone. Hans may have lost his life that day, but he never lost the game.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
nonbo found on stream that's gonna get a lot of people: if eater of virtues is equipped to a saga that's flipped into a creature, when the latter gets exiled for the sword's ability it only looks at the characteristics of the front side (since that's the only side that you look at in exile). so, if you've got it on (say) vision of the unspeakable, the sword does not get flying/trample

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
drat that Honolulu pro tour thing is stupid as gently caress

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

i like that if they scan a creature in the center, and it gets replaced by a card with ninjitsu they have an animation effect where the previous card is "cut up" and replaced by the new card

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

uggy posted:

drat that Honolulu pro tour thing is stupid as gently caress

Yeah, "do not research" indeed

It's like when you have a decent one line joke, but then try to extend it out into a full movie

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Strong Sauce posted:

i like that if they scan a creature in the center, and it gets replaced by a card with ninjitsu they have an animation effect where the previous card is "cut up" and replaced by the new card

paul, who's on tech, always puts together really slick overlays. he had a transforming overlay for day/nightbound and a dungeon venturing overlay including little pixel faces of the player moving through the dungeon

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

They’re changing the rules for crewing so a vehicle can’t tap to crew itself. I didn’t even know that was allowed

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Pablo Nergigante posted:

They’re changing the rules for crewing so a vehicle can’t tap to crew itself. I didn’t even know that was allowed

I don't think it ever was? When it's not a creature it has no stats. Unless that's to crew it after its animated, just for the sake of reading it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

BizarroAzrael posted:

I don't think it ever was? When it's not a creature it has no stats. Unless that's to crew it after its animated, just for the sake of reading it.

yeah, you used to be able to crew an animated vehicle with itself if you just wanted to, like, tap your creature for whatever reason

the new set has at least one card that cares about 'when a vehicle is crewed' so they've fixed that weirdness

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Pablo Nergigante posted:

That's loving bullshit, why the gently caress do they even make a game if they hate fun and want only boring things to happen!?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

This would have been actually funny if they cut off most of it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I wonder if they changed it to prevent people from accidentally tapping their vehicles online.

The Honolulu thing is like 10 years old. It being a meme is the meme.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

flatluigi posted:

paul, who's on tech, always puts together really slick overlays.

who? what?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

kalel posted:

who? what?

flatluigi posted:

loadingreadyrun's preprerelease all-day stream starts in a few moments, if you wanna see people play with the cards publicly for the first time:

https://twitch.tv/loadingreadyrun

lrr does 'preprereleases' for every set for years ongoing now as a sponsored stream where you can see people play with the cards for the first time before the actual prerelease, and strong sauce was commenting on the stream

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

oh I thought they were talking about arena lol

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Dumb question but is there a foil version of the extended art Prosper? Idk where to even look up printings lol

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

fadam posted:

Dumb question but is there a foil version of the extended art Prosper? Idk where to even look up printings lol

Nope. Scryfall separates each printing, and googling to make sure turns up a mothership article saying they don't.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Thanks king. Feels bad to not have a totally Gucci commander but so it goes.

Prosper feels amazing btw. Is he the closest to a 4 cmc commander that just draws you a free card a turn?

fadam fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 6, 2022

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
fell down an mtgwiki hole and wound up at vanity cards

can't believe how many old card names I thought were randomly thought up fantasy style names are just anagrams of people's names or nicknames, like "Telim Tor" being an anagram of "Mr. Toilet", the nickname of one of the designers

I understand why they decided not to do vanity cards anymore but it's a shame, I want another Pheldagriff

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Missed opportunity having 'Banding' so high up there. Shoudla be near the bottom.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Banding is a relatively easy mechanic to understand honestly. Nowhere near some of the crazy judge thought exercise nonsense that can come up.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Captain Invictus posted:

fell down an mtgwiki hole and wound up at vanity cards

can't believe how many old card names I thought were randomly thought up fantasy style names are just anagrams of people's names or nicknames, like "Telim Tor" being an anagram of "Mr. Toilet", the nickname of one of the designers

I understand why they decided not to do vanity cards anymore but it's a shame, I want another Pheldagriff

https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/180356229608/would-a-nevinyrral-card-not-violate-the-rule

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

they were just talking about "first striking ninjas" on that stream today, learned something

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

The Shortest Path posted:

Banding is a relatively easy mechanic to understand honestly. Nowhere near some of the crazy judge thought exercise nonsense that can come up.

banding is literally just the owner assigns combat damage to multiple attackers/blockers instead of the opposing creature

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

drat, rip my favorite big brain play in kaladesh: saving your vehicle from a removal spell with this guy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What??
I always thought it was funny you could make like Gurren Lagan and have your dude pilot a mech which pilots it's own mech.