Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
How do these typeless -enchantment shrine creatures work?

Are there are other examples of typeless creatures?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Rythe posted:

Besides trying to abuse stuff like Paradox Haze what's the win cons on something like shrines? A variation on enchantment matters decks I would assume.

Basically enchantment matters. You could deal some damage from them or turn them into creatures and recur them repeatedly, use bastion/ grim guardian/ meathook massacre and other aristocrat effects or just turn them into creatures with opalescence or use parallax to create infinite etbs.

I’ve been planning to make a shrine deck when kamigawa:cyberpunk 2022 came out so I’ll post the article link when I finish it,

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

th3t00t posted:

How do these typeless -enchantment shrine creatures work?

Are there are other examples of typeless creatures?

Just Nameless Race from The Dark. Doesn't really have much impact, they just can't be hit with Plague Wind and the like.

Edit: sorry not plague wind, I meant Extinction

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Still seems to me that wotc intended for shrine to be the creature type without thinking it through and didn't realize the consequences in time to fix it.

So now they are doing this lazy errata through Maro's twitter.

Would shrine being the creature type even break shrines? I kinda doubt it

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

th3t00t posted:

Still seems to me that wotc intended for shrine to be the creature type without thinking it through and didn't realize the consequences in time to fix it.

So now they are doing this lazy errata through Maro's twitter.

Would shrine being the creature type even break shrines? I kinda doubt it

It would let you run changelings to get your shrine numbers up.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

They need to just errata all of the shrine creatures to Enchantment Creature - Shrine Spirit, it'd solve the problem. Everyone was similarly confused when Gingerbrute was revealed and Maro had to clarify that Food isn't it's creature type, Golem is.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
They definitely didn't forget how creature types work.

Having a typeless creature doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of the game. The creature type of your random value creature in most decks doesn't even matter unless the deck is built around them anyway. Gilded Drake or Deathrite Shaman could very well be a Plant Fish and 99.9% of games where it comes up would play out the same.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Silhouette posted:

They need to just errata all of the shrine creatures to Enchantment Creature - Shrine Spirit, it'd solve the problem. Everyone was similarly confused when Gingerbrute was revealed and Maro had to clarify that Food isn't it's creature type, Golem is.
Yeah, and maybe clean up the syntax is some way.

Creature type - NOT SHRINE

th3t00t fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 4, 2022

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The neatest interaction with the typeless shrine creatures are they are guaranteed to trigger Volo which is pretty sad.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I literally do not understand this typing confusion. We already went through this with "is Vehicle a creature type?" and the answer is No.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Magnetic North posted:

I literally do not understand this typing confusion. We already went through this with "is Vehicle a creature type?" and the answer is No.

Because there's nothing in the type line of vehicles that say it's a creature, obviously.

Meanwhile here it's not made remotely clear and I'm far from the only one who finds it obtuse.

Almost every creature card in existence very clearly says what type it is after the dash. You don't think the way it's written can be seen as confusing when anyone with pattern recognition would see that and think "that must be the creature type" when there's no explanation or helper text or clearly pointed out errata that says otherwise?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Magnetic North posted:

I literally do not understand this typing confusion.

#contentcreators

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Framboise posted:

You don't think the way it's written can be seen as confusing when anyone with pattern recognition would see that and think "that must be the creature type" when there's no explanation or helper text or clearly pointed out errata that says otherwise?

That's just where subtypes go, and subtypes are more than creature types? :shrug: I dunno, it's not like back in the day where Creature Types were kinda special and particular, where Mistform Ultimus could attack as though it were not a Wall. Now, every type already has pervasive and relevant subtypes that matter. Aura, Equipment, Gate, even Arcane and Ellywick.
At least after all this, everyone will know.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

New IHYD Episode dropped

Lynch, Rachel Weeks, Olivia Gobert-Hicks, and Brian Kibler for this episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FftAGmz25_c

loving Lynch running Toxrill :lol:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I really wasn't expecting "shrine isn't a creature type" to be a discussion for more than 5 seconds tops, but I guess some people feel strongly about it.

Shrine isn't a creature type just like arcane isn't and food isn't and forest isn't.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
i dont know about this shrine nonsense, but if it has attack and toughness then I assume i'm able to slap someone with it, unless the card specifically says i can't do that.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Jiro posted:

New IHYD Episode dropped

Lynch, Rachel Weeks, Olivia Gobert-Hicks, and Brian Kibler for this episode

drat, that's what Kibler looks like now? It's good.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dizz posted:

i dont know about this shrine nonsense, but if it has attack and toughness then I assume i'm able to slap someone with it, unless the card specifically says i can't do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXe6fSE6KfU

Command Zone ep going over all the multi colored potential commanders

Apparently Go-Shintai is only available in set boosters.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I really want to build around Isshin. Mardu attack trigger shenanigans seems fun as hell

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The problem is less that shrine isn't a creature type. It's that they lack a creature type at all so you can't even go "yes it's a clue myr. Clue is an artefact subtype, myr is a creature type."

So it's a creature but it's not any specific kind of creature, I'm honestly just amazed they aren't Spirits.

Jiro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXe6fSE6KfU

Command Zone ep going over all the multi colored potential commanders

Apparently Go-Shintai is only available in set boosters.

Same with the curse commander from the last set.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

drat, that's what Kibler looks like now? It's good.

Going through mats at SCG and seeing that they're still selling the mat he had made for his wedding got a bit of an oof out of me.

Torches Upon Stars
Jan 17, 2015

The future is bright.
The Comprehensive Rules are good for a skim to gain better insight into weird rules you like but haven't played with enough to understand why rulings work the way they do.
They explain the various subtypes of various card types, and for at least a year, probably more, have used Shrine as the example for what an enchantment's type line shows a subtype as. Scryfall searches for "t:shrine" can also reveal the kinds of contexts you see Shrines in.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

magic having more words in rules than possibly the bible will never not be funny to me.they had the ability to simplify things and decided "no actually we want every single card to interact differently in every single interaction"

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

When it comes to subtypes, there's actually a complete list of them in the rules, associated with what kinds of types they can be applied to. The only way of knowing that Gingerbrute's creature type is Golem and artifact type is Food, and not vice versa, is from the exhaustive lists, not from anything special about Shrine or Clue or Food.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Dizz posted:

magic having more words in rules than possibly the bible will never not be funny to me.they had the ability to simplify things and decided "no actually we want every single card to interact differently in every single interaction"

lol at "why did they make perfectly rigorous interactions between 23000 game pieces so complicated".

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

i can only remember like 2 rules, everything else is just flavor text.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Dizz posted:

i can only remember like 2 rules, everything else is just flavor text.

Mountainwalk means it resists Trample, right?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Magnetic North posted:

Mountainwalk means it resists Trample, right?

attacking your opponent means your creatures need to WALK to them to fight.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
One of my favorite things to do in Magic in 2022 CE is describe in excruciating detail the rules for Banding to players who weren't playing or born in the 1990's. It's not so much its complexity that's stupid. It's the uselessness-to-complexity ratio that hurts the brain. But a fun game is to make up fake rules for it that are more believable than the actual rules.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Banded creatures must attack together and block together. It's not that complicated. Basically the way it is now blocking creatures can just band at will, it just doesn't have a name besides "I will block attacker X with blockers Y and Z"

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Heath posted:

Banded creatures must attack together and block together. It's not that complicated. Basically the way it is now blocking creatures can just band at will, it just doesn't have a name besides "I will block attacker X with blockers Y and Z"

Right. It affects how blockers can assign damage. Like I said, it isn't that complicated, but the actual rules for it are written in a mind-crushingly dumb way and so many words were dedicated to such little effect on the game.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

I think with banding, the point that's hardest to get across if why you would bother:

"So, if I band a flying creature with a non-flying creature, they can only be blocked by fliers?"
"No, unfortunately not."
"Oh, so, do I get to, like, combine trample damage or something?"
"Nope again. Basically, all you get to do is assign damage, rather that your opponent assigning damage."
"Oh, so, like, I could band a bunch of 2/2s and and if my opponent blocks with a 3/3, I can give my creatures one damage each so they survive?"
"That's right."
"But the whole band can still be blocked by just one creature?"
"Correct."
"So, if my opponent has a single large creature that I want to kill, I can attack with a banded group, and they have to chose between losing their big guy or taking all the damage themselves, while if they block, I can spread their damage out and have my guys survive, rather than a non-banded attack, when regularly the opponent could only block one of them while the rest get through?"
"Exactly."
"How often does that come up?"
"Basically never, but, you know, it could happen. Now, let's talk about Rampage, which provided a disincentive for blocking with more than one creature..."

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 6, 2022

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
If you haven't experienced banding in limited, it's surprisingly strong.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Yeah, to be fair in the bad old days, creatures were much harder to budge off the table outside of combat, and generated much less immediate value. There was much less evasion, haste didn't exist yet, and creatures were much more conservatively costed. Combat math mattered a lot. Banding was never good, but it was a stalemate breaker when you can trade your 1/1 in a band for a 4/4.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

You could also do things like band a benalish hero with a white knight and then assign the black combat damage all to the white knight.

Or all to a creature with regeneration, it was a lot stronger then, virtually every creature printed before revised is unplayably bad by todays standards except like mana dorks and a few weird things like hypnotic specter.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Infinite Karma posted:

Yeah, to be fair in the bad old days, creatures were much harder to budge off the table outside of combat

you know, back when every deck had some combination of lightning bolt, terror, unsummon, dark banishing, fireball, wrath of god, nevinyrral's disk, berserk, psionic blast, disintegrate, earthquake. . .

Creatures have gotten better and removal has gotten worse. As useless as banding seems now, it was even worse back then. "Oh boy, I can attack with my 2/2 and two 1/1 banders through their. . . *reads card*. . . durkwood boars??" just play giant growth or lightning bolt or terror or whatever

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

A lot of people seem to think Dockside is eating poo poo tomorrow :argh:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really, really doubt that but it would be cool.

I think we’d see an Oracle ban before a Dockside ban though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

hit both imo