Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Watched that video and I think I'm settled on a sorceress.

Is there a general party structure that is looked for, or is it more "need a support and tank and everyone else pile in".

I didn't get the vibe from that vid that certain classes are just inferior and get left behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

rap music posted:

I’ve been suggesting it in discord but if anyone wants to play around with the character creator and class testing chamber it’s insanely easy

https://lostarkive.com/guides/beginner/how-to-play-lost-ark-in-russia-before-release/

can confirm that it's very easy to set this up and mess around with the russian servers to try out character creation and test out the subclasses

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

m.hache posted:

Is there a general party structure that is looked for, or is it more "need a support and tank and everyone else pile in".

I didn't get the vibe from that vid that certain classes are just inferior and get left behind.

class balance is very tight, there will always be a couple of classes at the top but you’ll never get booted from a party for playing the “wrong” class (unless you try to dps on a support class). everyone is dps, except for Paladin and Bard who are support, and Gunlancer who is the closest to a hybrid.

Party composition is essentially 3 dps and 1 support, there are no tanks in the trad mmo sense. gunlancer is closest but it’s really a dps that doesn’t have to dodge, you have to pull dps weight and the only aggro mechanic is a long cooldown taunt that’s really more used to interrupt boss attacks.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

m.hache posted:

beyond support, i imagine people will also want a wardancer because she has a party wide 18% crit buff iirc

there aren't any real tanks, but gunlancer is the closest to it because he has a taunt and can take a beating even though he's dps

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Does striker have the 18% crit buff too? It's the mirror class of the wardancer. I'm pretty sure I saw it mentioned in a video that goes over the utility of every class but in general people only ever mention wardancer.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah, mirror classes share the same buffs. It's worth noting that different buffs with the same effect from different classes do stack, but the same buff coming from multiples of the same class (including mirror classes) doesn't.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Sindai posted:

Yeah, mirror classes share the same buffs. It's worth noting that different buffs with the same effect from different classes do stack, but the same buff coming from multiples of the same class (including mirror classes) doesn't.

Are you sure Striker has the same buffs as Wardancer? None of the videos I've seen or skill building sites seem to back that up. I think Striker and Wardancer can both apply negative crit resistance to the target but only Wardancer has the movement and attack speed buff.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You're right, I guess they share one but not the other.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
If you buy the founders pack on amazon do you get the 5% off on the prime card?

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
I'm not as sure about Soul Fist as main now, but I will at least make an alt, so I'm linking this in the new thread.

This video (won't embed) talks about it and contains a link to a Google doc:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfDavcQJQq0
The Google doc shows the guessed math behind skills for Soul Fist (there is another class doc linked as well):
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_lzX_P_wbBsZ2KiHNJttMOhPbT3K373g2z5pH2-sC2o/edit?usp=sharing
This really only considers skill damage, so while useful for that, it is not a complete picture of how good a skill is; raw dps under ideal circumstances does not consider downtime for resource, dodging, or buff/debuff skills.

Some interesting takeaways:
-Each skill has a multiplier for average damage
-Stat attack increases to damage are linear
-Skills have a damage spread of less than +/- 5% from average
-Point increases to damage are nonlinear and identical for all skills
--2 pts = ~10%
--3 pts = <5%
--4 pts = >3%
--5 pts = <3%
--6 pts to 10 = 2 to 1% (combined about 30% bonus at 10, compared to 18% at 4)
--11 pts = ~9%
--12 pts = ~5%
-Mob resists are quite high at endgame (50%+)
-It's about 5% damage increase per Tripod level.

It is likely that much of this is applicable to other classes' skills.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Taima posted:

If you buy the founders pack on amazon do you get the 5% off on the prime card?

Doesn’t look like it from what I can tell.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I think people might be excited.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Anno posted:

I think people might be excited.

Servers are going to be so hosed tuesday.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

How does the head start work? I got the bronze founders pack and steam still says it doesn't unlock til the 11th.

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

I think I just had an evilgasm...
I imagine this will change once the pre-load is available.
Pre-load starts on the 7th, head-start starts on the 8th
I fully expect game to 'release' on the 7th and becomes a entry-gated in the game itself rather than in steam, based on other early-access headstarts I've seen.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DurosKlav posted:

Servers are going to be so hosed tuesday.

Yeah, like any big MMORPG launches, I am expecting the servers to be hosed.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Plus the massive bitching in reddit about how they took all of their vacation days for the ea and amazon is targeting them PERSONALLY because of the server issues.

Been a while since I've participated in an MMO launch! A magical time.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

We need a bingo chart. Error 37, Error 2002, rubberbanding, rollbacks, server full guild splits, whatever the gently caress happened and is still happening with new world.

I'll predict they'll be mostly fine Tuesday but blow up at the actual release since its FTP.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I said come in! posted:

Yeah, like any big MMORPG launches, I am expecting the servers to be hosed.

Supposedly they have more servers ready to spin up if needed, plus this being an already existing game that has dealt with huge population spikes for previous launches, might make it not too painful.

Then again I've been optimistic for about 20 different launches and the vast majority have been awful to some extent or another so we'll see!

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm curious if we've found a server we want to roll on.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wJiDGy77tOdV7ATqXj-bGXH7JmQo-sbjHrYJTcoI4Ow/htmlview?pru=AAABfvGJJig*CKmCbwOGl8eTdFcg4Pfuow

My friend dropped me this sheet. I know Regalus was being tossed around but it looks to be the highest pop from here.

Does pop size matter in this game?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
It's not the end of the world to end up on a server with a nonoptimal population count, but there's a couple of things that go wonky:

-Open World content is server based, so fighting world bosses for Adventure Tome completion becomes annoying as they're either never fought or immediately vaporized whenever they show up. Also in this category is something involving Islands, but I'm not quite sure on the details.
- Some of the Life Skills are competitive in nature, and I think one of them is cooperative, so it can mess with your gathering efficiency as zones are stripmined or you can't get a logging buddy.
- Guild stuff, including Guild v. Guild is server based so that can end up being a mess depending on who you're stuck with.
- Premade PvP arenas are server dependent, which is why there are servers chosen as the PvP zone. But most PvP modes aren't server dependent.

Especially if you're more into PvE, most of the stuff you actually care about is cross-server and thus doesn't really matter where you end up.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 6, 2022

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Good to know. I guess wherever the goon train goes is where I'll end up. Can't exactly be competitive with kids.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

A vid that supposedly shows all skins released to date

https://youtu.be/FLtSIVfHEzk

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The rumor floating around is each server can hold about 36k users. They have said they can spin up more servers too.

Also if you aren't an early access player, there is the possibility that come Friday the server you want to play on might be locked for new character creation.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I saw 200k server capacity somewhere but nothing confirmed directly from AGS/SG.

Wasn't NA beta all on one single beta server? They had ~80k concurrent players.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 6, 2022

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Suprfli6 posted:

I saw 200k server capacity somewhere but nothing confirmed directly from AGS/SG.

Wasn't NA beta all on one single beta server? They had ~80k concurrent players.

East had two servers for sure

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

So what server was decided upon? Regulus?

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Am I excited to play this game? Absolutely. Am I also excited for whatever compensation we get when the servers melt a hole down to the core of the earth on Tuesday? Also absolutely.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Im honestly not too worried. New world servers held 2k. These servers hold 36k-200k depending on who you ask
Not to mention servers have channels to divvy up the player base.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

They should have a pretty good idea of populations based on the founders sales. And KR just had their highest concurrent players ever when Artist launched and their servers held up so I’m optimistic.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Counter-point: They're using Amazon servers.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

How does respecing work in this game? Is it a pain in the rear end to swap from your leveling build to your end game build?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

fadam posted:

How does respecing work in this game? Is it a pain in the rear end to swap from your leveling build to your end game build?

Depends what aspect. Skill-wise it's free aka the basic tripod system. You can save multiple builds.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Dackel posted:

Depends what aspect. Skill-wise it's free aka the basic tripod system. You can save multiple builds.

What parts aren’t free/easy?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
The later you get into content, the more gear is going to matter to supplement default skill setups. Engravings are necessary to specialize your class identity, and endgame builds don't really come into their own without them. Gems (which affect the cooldowns/damage of specific skills) and armor-conditional tripod boosters will let you get the most out of specific skills, but mean that switching away from them loses out on those bonuses. But those don't really come into play until Tier 2 minimum for Gems and Tier 3 for tripod boosters, and honestly you're gonna replace the gems anyway.

So up until you start dealing with Engravings, it's literally as easy as clicking a button. Then it starts getting progressively more gear dependent but still reasonable, until you hit Tier 3, at which point reskilling is a major pain in the rear.

But also you don't even start dealing with that stuff until you hit the first tier of endgame content, at which point you've stopped actively leveling, so switching from leveling to that is basically effortless.

EDIT: Okay, I guess there's caveats on needing to bounce back and forth between your Chaos Dungeon build and a raid build, especially if you're a support main, but I would need more advice on that from people who have played Bard/Paladin on whether they find it ruinous to do Chaos Dungeons with their raiding gear.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 7, 2022

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Any piece of gear with build-defining tripods can have the tripods saved so you can re-apply them to any other piece of gear you get for that slot, so that's one aspect where respeccing will be easy. Getting to those best-in-slot tripods on all your gear so you can save them is going to be a big task. Then getting the appropriate engravings on all your jewelry/accessories, as well as getting the 100 skill books for engravings is a massive effort though?

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
My friend just let me know about this game! Looks pretty sick. I picked up the bronze founders pack just for early access so we could be on the same server just in case.

Burn My Dread
Feb 23, 2007

Tear up your fear, the end is coming near, spit it out like a spear, I'll burn your dread

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

So what server was decided upon? Regulus?

Currently we are sticking with Regulus.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
So, while I'm not a big fan of ARPGs, when I do play them I tend to pick ranged DPS characters like archers and whatnot. When I tried Lost Ark during the beta, it became very apparent very quickly that this game is not quite an ARPG while playing the Gunner class.

But looking at the character roster and comparing it to another game I've played recently... is Lost Ark actually more of an isometric Dungeon Fighter Online? I'm noticing now that the class roster of Lost Ark is extremely similar to the initial class roster of DFO, and am curious if having that mindset going into this will make it more enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

gonna go paladin. how fuckin terrible is it gonna feel to solo?