Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

KennyMan666 posted:

Tentomushi, which unsurprisingly is Japanese for ladybug!

I've liked Duck in seasons past but this season's version seems like a clear downgrade, that lifter is just... so limp and seems to just make the front weaker.

Yeah, the drive train seems way worse this year and the frame seems way less sturdy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Chronojam posted:

Completely rookie team probably has a lot to figure out, the concept shouldn't be abandoned. Weight bonus should happen.

All of Jager's team except the 1 guy got stuck in Europe for filming

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I can't see how any multibot could be competitive because they are too small and unarmored to deal with spinners. A 125lbs bot is never going to stand up to Tombstone, End Game, Uppercut, etc.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

is pepsi ok posted:

I can't see how any multibot could be competitive because they are too small and unarmored to deal with spinners. A 125lbs bot is never going to stand up to Tombstone, End Game, Uppercut, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NatqZqh0e58

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

I think they should give a weight bonus to anything that isn't a spinner, something to change the meta that's honestly getting a little stale at this point.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

This is a pretty solid counterexample but they're not legal Battlebots since they only have flamethrowers. The idea of using twin heavily armored wedgebots to box rush dangerous weapons is a good one, but it's still just a wedgebot meta. They took a decent beating anyway and if you have to add an active weapon you're losing a lot of armor.

Tombstone's also not the best example since it's so volatile. Pick any other spinner that doesn't tend to destroy itself and it takes a lot more than a gentle tag team to get a KO. Maybe you can win with speed and drivetrain power if pure wedges are allowed, but the Battlebots rules really disadvantage multibots. And once you add active weapons to your smaller bots now you just have to deal with them being dinkier than everyone else's.

Ror fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 6, 2022

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
the only cool thing about duck was its unibody design and the fact it simply would not die. it was boring as poo poo but hey if you want to spend $$$ on an actual brick bot that will not win, be my guest

now they effectively hosed the only thing they had going for it with their three piece design, so now its boring and fragile. the lifter legitimately looked like it was made out of wood then it snapped off

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Youtube bonus fight, Valkyrie v Triple Crown (world's largest fidget spinner)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfWOehOcZ3k

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Aw, Triple Crown team is adorable. They look like if my parents build a fighting robot in their garage

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PostNouveau posted:

Aw, Triple Crown team is adorable. They look like if my parents build a fighting robot in their garage

Ha ha that was pretty much my exact reaction as well, it looks like Central Casting put out a call for lovable grandparents. I felt bad for them when their robot only lasted 12 seconds before it was catastrophically damaged

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ha ha that was pretty much my exact reaction as well, it looks like Central Casting put out a call for lovable grandparents. I felt bad for them when their robot only lasted 12 seconds before it was catastrophically damaged

Yeah, coulda been worse though. I thought Valkyrie was absolutely going to rip that thing into chunks,, but instead it just jarred something in Triple Crown loose immediately

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Triple Crown is...interesting. Seems overdesigned as hell but hey, gotta learn somewhere right? Its design philosophy does lay bare how the rules favor super-specialization rather than breadth of design. Would it be cool if bots could swap between weapons? Sure. Is it viable or even useful? Probably not.

Also: why doesn't it have a third weapon? It seems like they built a spinner and a wedge and then....just ran out of weight?

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Railing Kill posted:

Also: why doesn't it have a third weapon? It seems like they built a spinner and a wedge and then....just ran out of weight?

Ran out of time and weight. The builder has a whole series of vlogs about the build here. I liked the part in one video where he complains that his parts are late coming in from China because of some kind of weird flu or something? It wasn't mentioned in the fight but it's called Triple Crown not just because of the design, but because the builder has won Robot Wars and Robotica and is going for the third.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, coulda been worse though. I thought Valkyrie was absolutely going to rip that thing into chunks,, but instead it just jarred something in Triple Crown loose immediately

One of it's wheel-things got mangled; it was a perfect height for Valkerie to undercut and get straight into them.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ratios and Tendency posted:

One of it's wheel-things got mangled; it was a perfect height for Valkerie to undercut and get straight into them.

Ohhhhhh

I saw on the FB group that despite appearance, the Triple Crown builder is a former Robot Wars champion. Triple Crown was apparently built on relatively short notice as well.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hal Rucker did an AMA and

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
rip duck, never scored

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
triple crown looks really good and if they have more time to refine it I think it could be pretty effective. The problem is seeing how much weight has to be dedicated to the drive system vs the weapon

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

logikv9 posted:

triple crown looks really good and if they have more time to refine it I think it could be pretty effective. The problem is seeing how much weight has to be dedicated to the drive system vs the weapon

The drive system definitely looks really heavy and complex and fragile. The lone spinner that they had seemed really dinky too. If they refined the design to something that's more like Shatter, but with a spinner, it might be something but as it is, that horse is getting sent to the glue factory.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

PostNouveau posted:

Ohhhhhh

I saw on the FB group that despite appearance, the Triple Crown builder is a former Robot Wars champion. Triple Crown was apparently built on relatively short notice as well.

Going through his videos, he's talking about getting his circuit boards manufactured, and saying that the manufacturer delayed his order, due to some sort of outbreak of disease in the area, and they're focused on ramping up production for some medical stuff in the area...

...This thing was built on short notice for March 2020

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

PostNouveau posted:

Hal Rucker did an AMA and

Huh. Good on him for owning the situation. It's so common for people in any situation to pass the buck or make excuses that I'm glad the team took an honest look at theirs and made the right call.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
The reliability of even the higher energy bots in the most recent seasons was really the final nail for a defensive build, and the points change must have just sealed the deal.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvy9mCillVs

hammerbots dont do damage

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

The only way I find Duck entertaining is when it ends up miraculously winning somehow, which was my introduction to the bot. After it ran out of luck I didn't find it entertaining so I'm glad they're getting rid of it

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Real shame the show itself doesn't do post-ops because wow.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Nah that would be nerd poo poo. They need to present as much like US corperate sport as possible because the audiences are obviously the same :derp:

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Deep Six vs Smeeeeeeee is hilarious, I expect Six to punt Smee across the box

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Battlebots, "gently caress you team Minotaur"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
A lot of interesting fights but no real marquee events. Not a lot of contenders in action.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

A lot of interesting fights but no real marquee events. Not a lot of contenders in action.

You're crazy :lol:

Lockjaw Vs Hypershock, Rotator Vs Black Dragon, & Dragon Slayer vs Minotaur are pretty big fights with pretty top tier bots! Those fights are all championship contenders with teams going in 0-1! Hijinx vs Kraken is 2 teams with tournament hopes going into their fight 0-1 as well.

I guess that's obviously the theme of the night. Teams with tournament hopes that started off the season 0-1...

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 9, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

You're crazy :lol:

Lockjaw Vs Hypershock, Rotator Vs Black Dragon, & Dragon Slayer vs Minotaur are pretty big fights with pretty top tier bots! Those fights are all championship contenders with teams going in 0-1! Hijinx vs Kraken is 2 teams with tournament hopes going into their fight 0-1 as well.

Come onnnnnnn, Lockjaw v. Hypershock? I mean, I want to see it, but let's not kid ourselves

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It's not the biggest if to say that Hypershock is a top tier design with a top tier driver and a top tier bot if they have solved reliability.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Battlebots, "gently caress you team Minotaur"

That looks more like "gently caress you, team Pain Train" to me.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Deep Six vs Smeeeeeeee is hilarious, I expect Six to punt Smee across the box

I'm not expecting much, surely we've all realised by now that the YouTube fights are a bit dull and boring? Which is a shame, because I would like it to be a good fight but it being a YouTube fight makes me think its going to be rubbish.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I'm not expecting much, surely we've all realised by now that the YouTube fights are a bit dull and boring? Which is a shame, because I would like it to be a good fight but it being a YouTube fight makes me think its going to be rubbish.

Maybe Deep 6 will bifurcate Smeeeeeeeee in one shot

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

PostNouveau posted:

Maybe Deep 6 will bifurcate Smeeeeeeeee in one shot

Breaking Smee in two might actually make it more viable, lol.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Yeah they obviously keep all the good fights for the actual broadcast and then they go through the fights which didn't make the grade and pick the "best of the worst" for the Youtube release. I'm guessing that either Smeeeeeeeeee gest wrecked within the first few seconds of the fight or Deep Six gets unbalanced and self destructs without Smeeeeeeeeeeeeeee really doing anything

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah they obviously keep all the good fights for the actual broadcast and then they go through the fights which didn't make the grade and pick the "best of the worst" for the Youtube release. I'm guessing that either Smeeeeeeeeee gest wrecked within the first few seconds of the fight or Deep Six gets unbalanced and self destructs without Smeeeeeeeeeeeeeee really doing anything

Or Deep 6 suffers a weapon malfunction (and Smeeeeee never had a weapon to begin with), so they just kinda dance around for 3 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

There's been a few decent fights with the YouTube exclusives this season. They are not the basement tape fights. Previous seasons there has always been the 8th fight put on the SciFi airing of Battlebots, this season they are just sticking it on YouTube instead. (Not actually sure if they are doing a SciFi airing this year, or maybe they are just putting the same # of commercial breaks in).