Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2ULcqNZ57w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

FreudianSlippers posted:

Title sequences are good and sometimes essential to setting the mood for the show.

We should also bring back the largely lost art of movie opening title sequences.

I agree, and so does this guy:

https://youtu.be/rPcWgLtzLC0

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

what's irritating is that old shows on amazon (like columbo) often have a precap of random clips from the episode right at the beginning, and for whatever reason amazon never decided to make THOSE skippable

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

freeedr posted:

Finland more like poo poo land!! Have you ever been to Turku??? Ugh

I've been to Turku. We got a tour of the city, ate at hesburger, serenaded some bystanders and then got blazingly drunk in a basement at the university.

I rate it 5/7, a perfect score.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

fartknocker posted:

Alternative Option:

))<>((

I remember back in the day some crazy person joined the forums specifically to complain about goons making fun of them for being batshit, and some goon sent them a message asking to poop in their mouth so then they could "pass it back and forth like a subway train", which is a phrase that has been bouncing around in my skull ever since.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

1. Memes appreciating the Peacemaker intro are posted, specifically that the users wouldn't use the "Skip Intro" button found on most video streaming services of the last 10 years.
2. Goon says "I wish there was no 'Skip Intro' button I love to watch introductions."
3. Other Goon (rightfully) says "That's messed up. The overwhelming majority of the time the overwhelming majority of people do not want to watch TV intros on streaming sites. Peacemaker is a notable exception." They say this using the common English expression "the exception that proves the [general] rule."

This has been remedial Goon English.

I, personally, am glad that forums poster The Puppy Bowl used the expression correctly: "the exception that proves [the existence of] the rule," i.e. "the fact that you need to clarify that you enjoy watching the Peacemaker title sequence proves that, in general, people think that title sequences are an irritating hassle and prefer to skip them over." Like if I say "you can park in front of my house, it's a holiday," that implies that the general rule is no parking.

Too often people use the expression, usually as part of a fallacious argument, to mean something like "here, I've come up with one exception to this commonly stated rule, proving that the rule is invalid," and I loathe that particular use.

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 20:38 on Feb 6, 2022

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Imagine watching Dragonball Z with a feature that skips the intro, theme song, recap, and end credits.

You could watch a whole season in an hour.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Imagine watching Dragonball Z with a feature that skips the intro, theme song, recap, and end credits.

And miss all the good poo poo?!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

There is no trolley problem. You are in Germany. Take the drat Flixbux instead you loser.

[Sign shows train cancellations on several platforms]

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I’m watching She-ra with the kid right now and we never skip the intro because the song is a banger.

https://youtu.be/OuFQxsRzUws

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

https://youtu.be/EL-D9LrFJd4

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Yep they gotcha non theme watchin asses right here

yall act like you guys never stay tuned for the Couch gag on the simpsons.

https://twitter.com/PAMVLLO/status/1490377248821624834?s=20&t=cBlxAaV-c5nCTNgfQF_36g

Hihohe has a new favorite as of 21:25 on Feb 6, 2022

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Part of everyone trying to recapture the early Game of Thrones magic is that lots of money is getting thrown at intros. Even otherwise forgettable shows like Chronicles of Shanarra had a great intros, and there's plenty of absolute bangers like Arcane.

Nothing is topping the peak of the game, which is the americanised intros of anime in the 90s. Dragonball Z we all know about, but Escaflowne received a killer operatic nonsense number.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

You could watch a whole season in an hour.

Trap sprung and all, but the DVDs come with this feature.

The seasons still take many hours to watch. DBZ is an absurdly long show.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

:hmmyes:

Gotta love how the Netflix skip intro button is there just long enough for you to desperately search for the remote you've misplaced, and then disappears just at you manage to find the remote.

Bug Squash posted:

Part of everyone trying to recapture the early Game of Thrones magic is that lots of money is getting thrown at intros. Even otherwise forgettable shows like Chronicles of Shanarra had a great intros, and there's plenty of absolute bangers like Arcane.

I appreciate the high quality intros, but my current minor pet peeve is shows that seem to copy Westworld's (unless Westworld was copying another show). I can't really explain why, I think it's just because westworld's has a very distinctive style, and so it's very obvious when another show has a similar intro.

That said, nothing will ever top the best intro of all time: Malcolm in the Middle

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/583590805894332426/939296429627813908/a1b8d410c21a3e31704898b1c36cf041.mp4

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I feel like that's a later change. I doubt the people going into battle pantsless were shy about their sky spanning symbol of masculine prowess.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Tree Bucket posted:

I feel like that's a later change. I doubt the people going into battle pantsless were shy about their sky spanning symbol of masculine prowess.

But back then small dicks were considered the best so if it was supposed to be a dick they would have put only one star in the night sky. 3 star length dicks is just too above average. Therefore it must be a sword.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I just assumed he was shooting his bow while windmilling, possibly also with his dick out, possibly also windmilling that as well.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

tangy yet delightful posted:

But back then small dicks were considered the best so if it was supposed to be a dick they would have put only one star in the night sky. 3 star length dicks is just too above average. Therefore it must be a sword.

It wasn't small dicks that were considered good, but proportionate ones. All parts of the body were supposed to be in aesthetic balance. A huge horse-sized dong flopping around on a human would look grotesque, but a small one would also be less than ideal. A totally average penis was perfect.

The idea that the ancients specially liked tiny wangs comes from confusing Renaissance statues, which are emulations of Greek marbles, with the real thing. The prominent sculptors of the 15th century were usually working under patronage of the church, which insisted that the genitalia be de-emphasized out of modesty.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Heeeyyy youuu
Time to watch gaaame
Game of Throoooones

Heeeyyy youuu
Time to watch gaaame
Game of Throoooones

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

It wasn't small dicks that were considered good, but proportionate ones. All parts of the body were supposed to be in aesthetic balance. A huge horse-sized dong flopping around on a human would look grotesque, but a small one would also be less than ideal. A totally average penis was perfect.

The idea that the ancients specially liked tiny wangs comes from confusing Renaissance statues, which are emulations of Greek marbles, with the real thing. The prominent sculptors of the 15th century were usually working under patronage of the church, which insisted that the genitalia be de-emphasized out of modesty.

Wasn't it also that size of penis in artistic depictions took on a more symbolic meaning the same way character designers today will show a big guy with a small head to indicate "tough but dumb?" Like having a big dong of any kind was a sign that you were bestial, lust-obsessed, and generally a "lesser" being more akin to a barn animal while having a smaller dong was a symbol that you had Galaxy Brained yourself into a higher being closer to God and Enlightenment and Reason?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

ILL Machina posted:

Heeeyyy youuu
Time to watch gaaame
Game of Throoooones

Heeeyyy youuu
Time to watch gaaame
Game of Throoooones

Those aren't the words!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHlzIgSvnYc

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

a single dick on a statue indicates the sculptor thought the subject was sort of ok. the more dicks you get, the more highly esteemed the subject

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

You’re sculpting my dick? Buddy, you ain’t got enough marble on this planet

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

freeedr posted:

You’re sculpting my dick? Buddy, you ain’t got enough marble on this planet

Turn your monitor on

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEMmOKPVVjo

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Song by the actual Stargate writers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3Q-NdRtn1o

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT

PYF Thrones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkRkHWNlZ5c

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Title sequences are good and sometimes essential to setting the mood for the show.

We should also bring back the largely lost art of movie opening title sequences.
Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, spot the cuts in this title sequence directed by Robert Altman.
http://vimeo.com/75881931

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

I learned my lyrics from a goon who posted and I could never drop them. Might've even been this thread.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sagebrush posted:

I, personally, am glad that forums poster The Puppy Bowl used the expression correctly: "the exception that proves [the existence of] the rule," i.e. "the fact that you need to clarify that you enjoy watching the Peacemaker title sequence proves that, in general, people think that title sequences are an irritating hassle and prefer to skip them over." Like if I say "you can park in front of my house, it's a holiday," that implies that the general rule is no parking.

Too often people use the expression, usually as part of a fallacious argument, to mean something like "here, I've come up with one exception to this commonly stated rule, proving that the rule is invalid," and I loathe that particular use.

Doesn't "prove" mean "test" in the context of this phrase's etymology? i.e. "proving ground"

The exception puts the rule to the test.

"Prove" meaning "supply evidence in favor of" is a more modern construct I believe

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 00:56 on Feb 7, 2022

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

tangy yet delightful posted:

Yeah, but Orion is specifically meant to be a giant bestial lust-filled dude. He's not meant to be civilised and balanced.
They really should have added a fourth star to drive the point home. Maybe budget cuts got in the way?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Man, I wish they'd made more Bravest Warriors :(

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Antigravitas posted:

There is no trolley problem. You are in Germany. Take the drat Flixbux instead you loser.

[Sign shows train cancellations on several platforms]

Russian memes are perhaps peak meme, but German memes are just absolutely solid for different reasons.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I was never in the army tho :confused:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I was never in the army tho :confused:

Congratulations on having a higher winning streak in wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU