Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tl;dr: crypto bros are wordcels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

marc andreesen has gone from being very rich, smart and head shaped like an egg to being very rich, and head shaped like an egg.

like pretty sure cryptocurrency has broken his brain. i've followed him on twitter for a while but his tweets have gone from, "here's the type of people who make money." kinda tweets to this kinda poo poo. which i guess is the same thing he's trying to convey but with weirder terms.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Griftcel

Dupecel

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

The Metaverse demo also included business meetings, which could actually be useful. But they hosed it up because everyone's avatar are emotionless cartoons. The sci-fi author that first imagined the Metaverse in 1992 already addressed this issue. Basically the fictional Metaverse succeeded because the one female programmer created realistic body language and mapped your facial expressions to your avatar. VR meetings then became acceptable substitutes for real life meetings.

Even then, a VR meeting brings nothing to the table except that rather than sitting at an interminable, soul destroying meeting, you sit at an interminable,soul destroying meeting with a bucket on your head and sweaty gloves on your hands. Oh, and your boss now looks like Jarjar Binks I guess.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Zuck’s on record for saying that for them meetings are the real deal. Obviously he wants to build the metaverse because he read snow crash and Abrash, the tech vision guy for all their VR stuff worked on Doom with Carmack because he read snow crash. But the business proposition is this:

Commercial office real estate is like like a $3tn industry. That means that businesses value the feeling of co-location a poo poo ton. If you can deliver that feeling digitally, or at least good enough, all of that money is up for grabs, and you also save the planet because no one commutes and you can turn offices into green spaces and housing.

It’s solid. But when covid happened they didn’t have their ducks in a row and teleconferencing might actually just be either good enough by itself or disprove the entire concept or both.

Edit: it’s more than meetings, they want you work in VR too and kind of join your home office to everyone else’s via “wormholes”

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

chaosbreather posted:

Zuck’s on record for saying that for them meetings are the real deal. Obviously he wants to build the metaverse because he read snow crash and Abrash, the tech vision guy for all their VR stuff worked on Doom with Carmack because he read snow crash. But the business proposition is this:

Commercial office real estate is like like a $3tn industry. That means that businesses value the feeling of co-location a poo poo ton. If you can deliver that feeling digitally, or at least good enough, all of that money is up for grabs, and you also save the planet because no one commutes and you can turn offices into green spaces and housing.

It’s solid. But when covid happened they didn’t have their ducks in a row and teleconferencing might actually just be either good enough by itself or disprove the entire concept or both.

It's not solid because why would you contract with Meta when you can easily do everything their metaverse could* cheaper and in house, or even via a cheaper competitor. There's no value in meta real estate because you can duplicate anything digitally

right click save as an office block.

*not the WHOLE THING just the parts of it you care to use. That is, the VR office for meetings.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Does Facebook's metaverse thing even cost money? The point of it is to get businesses to buy VR headsets for everyone, they don't need to charge for it

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I thought the point of it was to create a virtual world to allow them to sell virtual real estate, virtual pets, etc etc etc. in order to allow them to continue the investor-mandated exponential growth now that their growth has tapered off or even reversed.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

FreeKillB posted:

I thought the point of it was to create a virtual world to allow them to sell virtual real estate, virtual pets, etc etc etc. in order to allow them to continue the investor-mandated exponential growth now that their growth has tapered off or even reversed.

you sweet summer child

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I think AR makes a lot more sense for all of that than VR, and it would need to be something that you'd forget you're wearing and wouldn't get annoying to be forced to wear all day

the issue there of course is you're not existing within some completely different world that can be sold to you. OTOH Zuck would be able to see what you're looking at all day in reality

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

Does Facebook's metaverse thing even cost money? The point of it is to get businesses to buy VR headsets for everyone, they don't need to charge for it

You can start nickel and dimeing them after, like most business meeting apps do now.
Want a meeting room? 1-10 licenses, 10-20 licenses, etc.
You want full 3D avatars or just 2D old style?
You want to record the meeting too? Sound only, or video and sound?
Pay up for the yearly subscription for a discount!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mozi posted:

I think AR makes a lot more sense for all of that than VR, and it would need to be something that you'd forget you're wearing and wouldn't get annoying to be forced to wear all day

the issue there of course is you're not existing within some completely different world that can be sold to you. OTOH Zuck would be able to see what you're looking at all day in reality

this is coming close to the dumbest thing I have ever read

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FreeKillB posted:

That may be true for other companies, but for Facebook, the point is to get people on Facebook-made hardware so they don't have to negotiate with device owners like Apple for all that precious personal data.

Next generation of VR headsets is probably gonna all have eye tracking too, can you imagine how valuable that's gonna be for ads? FB will know exactly how quickly you look at something, how long you spend looking at it, how many times you look back at it. It's a data goldmine for avatars.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Got to admit its going to be funny to see ads sprout out of anime girl avatar titties during our weekly team huddle meeting.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 6, 2022

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

this is coming close to the dumbest thing I have ever read

turn on your monitor

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

going to love this future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJg02ivYzSs

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
we absolutely used to hold business meetings and discussion groups and panels and such in second life, and my involvement in it made me a few thousand dollars way back then

metaverse sucks rear end even compared to old as hell SL let alone the many more modernized alternatives that exist in 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I can't help but think that the VR proponents and shills think of VR as more Star Trek holodeck and less what it really is, which is Second Life with a bucket on your head. And probably wearing sweaty Power Gloves.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

95% of second life was just going to a sim and chatting with people while your avatars dance to whatever music some person feels like putting on and now you have actual videogames like final fanty 14 having dance parties exactly like that too except there is also a game when you don't feel like hanging out and being social anymore. I don't play that game but I'm glad SL-style chillin' is a thing people like there.

these metaverse / horizon worlds idiots want to make it all corporate and that's the complete wrong way to do it thanks

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Capilarean posted:

Even then, a VR meeting brings nothing to the table except that rather than sitting at an interminable, soul destroying meeting, you sit at an interminable,soul destroying meeting with a bucket on your head and sweaty gloves on your hands. Oh, and your boss now looks like Jarjar Binks I guess.

That's exactly my thoughts. If my company forced us to wear 5 kg of headgear for hours for literally(in the literal sense) no purpose whatsoever we would probably have a revolt. This is a duuuuuumb idea, how has nobody done any focus group research on this poo poo?

I can totally see some application of VR in mechanical engineering, product design or job training but all of this is niche, has absolutely no room for Facebook integration and nothing were you can put ads for hearing aids

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mozi posted:

turn on your monitor

NEVER!

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

This is a duuuuuumb idea, how has nobody done any focus group research on this poo poo?
They don't care if people want it or not. The hubris of techlord CEOs is pretty much beyond parody.

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021

Parkingtigers posted:

Also, I had to see this so I’m making you look at it too.

“cuck bucks”

https://twitter.com/lastcoinstandng/status/1488249568588222464?s=21

This is easily vandalized to "bitcoin is butts"

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I had no idea what wordcel and shape rotator meant and I loving hate that I know them now. 4chan is a blight, the internet was a mistake

If there is a universal truth, it’s that people who brand themselves as intelligent or compare the intelligence of others to their own are always incredibly stupid.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

tehinternet posted:

If there is a universal truth, it’s that people who brand themselves as intelligent or compare the intelligence of others to their own are always incredibly stupid.

Correction - people other than me who brand themselves as intelligent or compare the intelligence of others to their own are always incredibly stupid.

Seriously, though, part of Dunning-Kruger that people tend to be unaware of is that it isn't just idiots who mistakenly believe they are competent, it's also that the actually competent tend to under-rate their own competence. The bottom of the intellectual pyramid grossly over-rate their own abilities, while the top of the pyramid under-rates theirs.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Main Paineframe posted:

Next generation of VR headsets is probably gonna all have eye tracking too, can you imagine how valuable that's gonna be for ads? FB will know exactly how quickly you look at something, how long you spend looking at it, how many times you look back at it. It's a data goldmine for avatars.

But what if I don't buy one?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Correction - people other than me who brand themselves as intelligent or compare the intelligence of others to their own are always incredibly stupid.

Seriously, though, part of Dunning-Kruger that people tend to be unaware of is that it isn't just idiots who mistakenly believe they are competent, it's also that the actually competent tend to under-rate their own competence. The bottom of the intellectual pyramid grossly over-rate their own abilities, while the top of the pyramid under-rates theirs.

I am good at computer math, ergo, I am good at everything, therefore BITCOIN!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The potential for AR is incredible, in the long run it could mean the death of the screen as we know it, and the tech is getting small enough to put in something that looks appreciably like a regular pair of glasses. Genuinely amazing stuff with endless applications.

VR's potential is basically just videogames, the idea that we're going to live in a completely separate world is ludicrous, and anyone actually attempting to make it a thing is a loving idiot, and I say that as someone who really likes VR.

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts

Parkingtigers posted:

Also, I had to see this so I’m making you look at it too.

“cuck bucks”

https://twitter.com/lastcoinstandng/status/1488249568588222464?s=21

Fun fact: money that is marked up in any way is pulled from circulation and destroyed when it cycles back through the reserve banks. It’s still legal tender but when they find it they filter it out.

This dude is literally costing the rest of us (a very very small amount of) money by killing those bills before they wear out through use.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Rasputin on the Ritz posted:

This dude is literally costing the rest of us (a very very small amount of) money by killing those bills before they wear out through use.

:bitcoin:

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

there are plenty of people who want to live in a completely separate world, many of whom already have been for years

metaverse isnt going to give those people a better experience than what they already get from gaming (since gaming is fun) or social platforms like VRchat (since they have a good formula and a huge head start)

the only real untapped niche left in VR virtual worlds is the sex stuff, which even the second life people were too afraid to go after and meta certainly won't either

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Any telepresence and telecollaboration innovation depends on the multitasking ability of voice chat. If you can't give a toddler cereal or play WoW during a board meeting you are feature incomplete compared to a cordless telephone with a shoulder rest.

That this failure to live up to a 40 year old technology is also an in to the next digital real estate revolution is hilarious.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

the pandemic 100% proved many many people can in fact play wow during a board meeting

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Meta is dead wrong on what people really want. We need technology that lets me engage less with the world and the horrible tedious people that fill it. This is why facebook got popular in the first place: people can dump all their poo poo out there and let others interact with it passively and then I can check back when I give a poo poo (I don't have facebook, I assume that's how it works)

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Ad by Khad posted:

we absolutely used to hold business meetings and discussion groups and panels and such in second life, and my involvement in it made me a few thousand dollars way back then

metaverse sucks rear end even compared to old as hell SL let alone the many more modernized alternatives that exist in 2022

Nothing will ever top Ralph.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

DrPossum posted:

Meta is dead wrong on what people really want. We need technology that lets me engage less with the world and the horrible tedious people that fill it. This is why facebook got popular in the first place: people can dump all their poo poo out there and let others interact with it passively and then I can check back when I give a poo poo (I don't have facebook, I assume that's how it works)

What people DEFINITELY want:

1) your boss can tell when you're not paying attention in an online meeting
2) When you want to check a website real quick you have to put on a VR headset and "walk" somewhere first

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I am good at computer math, ergo, I am good at everything, therefore BITCOIN!

Or even better, I am moderately wealthy therefore smart, therefore BITCOIN!

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

SRQ posted:

It's not solid because why would you contract with Meta when you can easily do everything their metaverse could* cheaper and in house, or even via a cheaper competitor. There's no value in meta real estate because you can duplicate anything digitally

right click save as an office block.

*not the WHOLE THING just the parts of it you care to use. That is, the VR office for meetings.

Meta doesn't want to sell real estate, they want to be the de-facto Metaverse, the same way that they are the de-facto online community for much of the world. They are perfectly content to make a free space with generous free everything as long as you'll stay in that space, get others into that space, and enjoy advertising products in that space. They want to own it, nuts to butts, own the thing that other metaverses integrate into to integrate into each other, take that bedrock utility role in the same place as Google. Because if the metaverse can exist, that spot is up for grabs, and spending billions of dollars on the chance is actually a good deal.

A lot of their work is actually around digitally scanning and replicating real-world locations, to try and 'rip and sell' your current office space like you did with CDs

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

chaosbreather posted:

Meta doesn't want to sell real estate, they want to be the de-facto Metaverse, the same way that they are the de-facto online community for much of the world. They are perfectly content to make a free space with generous free everything as long as you'll stay in that space, get others into that space, and enjoy advertising products in that space. They want to own it, nuts to butts, own the thing that other metaverses integrate into to integrate into each other, take that bedrock utility role in the same place as Google. Because if the metaverse can exist, that spot is up for grabs, and spending billions of dollars on the chance is actually a good deal.

A lot of their work is actually around digitally scanning and replicating real-world locations, to try and 'rip and sell' your current office space like you did with CDs

You wouldn't download an office block...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Karia posted:

You wouldn't download an office block...

zuck would

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTa8zn0RNVM